Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I tried to fix a bug but hosed it up. If you already have a reply saved, the window popping up to tell you that will crash the app. I sent out a new version that should fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I apologize if this has been previously mentioned, but just a heads up that it looks like the "code" bb tag makes long non-word wrapped text impossible to read using this app.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

I apologize if this has been previously mentioned, but just a heads up that it looks like the "code" bb tag makes long non-word wrapped text impossible to read using this app.
Scroll vertically a tiny bit and then you can scroll horizontally. It's because the side menu eats left/right gestures.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Tunga posted:

Scroll vertically a tiny bit and then you can scroll horizontally. It's because the side menu eats left/right gestures.

Yeah I guess diagonally kinda works...

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not diagonal. Just scroll up (or down) a tiny bit so that it starts to scroll and then without releasing your finger you can scroll left/right as much as the screen width will allow.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Posting from the awful app within chrome because apparently that's a thing now. Seems to work perfectly fine.

Also, yes, code tags suck at the moment. The Something guys are currently working on an improved view that I will try to merge in once it's finished.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd love to have access to the SAclopedia from the app :allears:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd love to have access to the SAclopedia from the app :allears:

Well there's always this

It's from the guy that does various Windows and Windows Phone Awfuls.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sereri posted:

Well there's always this

Well, that's awesome. Thanks!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Well there's always this

If it was the best app in the world and Material as gently caress I still wouldn't use it because of that icon.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LastInLine posted:

If it was the best app in the world and Material as gently caress I still wouldn't use it because of that icon.
Rude.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Dontrel is gonna gently caress you up.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

LastInLine posted:

It's a Xamarin Forms app, meant as a quick way for me to test my C# Library on other platforms. You don't get much flexibility in terms of layout and design, because it's really meant to be a baseline to get your app out on all platforms. They were thinking "CRM Enterprise" apps when they were coming up with it, not "SAclopedia". Also the webview in that version of Forms is terrible and a bitch to use.

I only used Dontrel for the icon because, one, I think it's funny. And two, I suck at drawing :v:. If anyone else wants to make an icon for it, I'm more than happy to replace it. Just let me know. I also plan on rewriting this and the iOS version to be fully UI native rather than use Forms, which should get me all the nice UI flavor for each platform.

It also may or may not work on your device, the version of the library used in the app might have issues serializing the SA cookies and won't let you log in. Just FYI if anyone tries it.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Joined the beta and am enjoying the UI updates. Cool stuff, op.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Neither Awful nor Something are connecting to the forums for me on my tablet or my phone.

But obviously it is working fine through a browser.

Is anyone else having issues?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Aleph Null posted:

Neither Awful nor Something are connecting to the forums for me on my tablet or my phone.

Awful is still working fine for me.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Clear the app cache or even reinstall it. It usually fixes most of the logging issues you'll have with both apps.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Odd rendering issues on the Galaxy S6 with the app.

I can clear them by expanding on someone's avatar info. Happens pretty frequently.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

holocaust bloopers posted:

I can clear them by expanding on someone's avatar info. Happens pretty frequently.

Try disabling hardware acceleration in the settings

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Sereri posted:

Try disabling hardware acceleration in the settings

That seemed to have worked! Thanks.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Where's the latest git commits, obama??

I'm way behind and sometimes I go to fix a thing, and then I remember there's a secret advanced version somewhere

Also am I right in thinking the webview CSS markup is pulled direct from the forums? So that, say, trying to style the text on a particular part of a post relies on the forums HTML giving it a useful selector? I was trying to fix font sizing so that (especially) code tag text could be smaller and more readable, but changing the necessary things whacks some other text like usernames and the like, and I can't see a simple way to access them and put them right

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

holocaust bloopers posted:

Same issue on my S6 Edge. Still happening with hardware acceleration disabled.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Black Box 2: The Samsunging

Do you get it with Chrome? If you kick the app out of memory, does it take a bunch of browsing before it shows up again?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Black Box 2: The Samsunging

Do you get it with Chrome? If you kick the app out of memory, does it take a bunch of browsing before it shows up again?

Doesn't happen in chrome, but i use chrome beta. So not sure if that makes a difference.

I'll try kicking the awful app out of memory and see how long the issue takes to creep up again.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Also try using Something and report back. Really, please do. Nobody ever reports back.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I can report back! I don't have that particular issue, but Awful was occasionally causing my Nexus 4 to overheat and shut down in a panic, so I've been using mostly Something for a few months. Overall I think Awful has more features that I like, especially that you can choose to put threads with unseen posts at the top of your bookmarks list. However, Something is much better about re-loading the bookmarks list when you enter the app. Maybe that's because I use the regular app for Something, but open Awful with a shortcut?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'm a lazy poo poo. Give me a download link for Something and I'll report back.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Norns posted:

I'm a lazy poo poo. Give me a download link for Something and I'll report back.

Well, this is certainly something alright.

Or this.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Vitamin Me fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 6, 2022

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Also catholic

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You can turn that off in the settings under Posts\Highlighting

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't think you can specify it to match exactly your username and not highlight it when it appears in other words.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
From the department of "you can't please everybody", I liked "tap for next page" better than "pull for next page". App continues being awesome, though!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Not a bug report exactly, but when you drag to go to next page, it shows the refresh page text. Just a note.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It would be nice if the bug could be fixed that when you open a forums.somethingawful.com link with the app it keeps showing up when you start the app. It also now is showing up every time I open the bookmarks. Instead of the bookmarks I get the thread. Annoying as gently caress.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Small bug maybe, but if you reach the end or the top of the page and get the "pull to refresh/pull for next page" indicator, you can't scroll back up/down the page without releasing your finger.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The Awful.app has decided to go rogue on me today. It keeps on logging me out and I can only refresh like once or twice before it says that it can't load data. Close the app, get booted to the credentials screen.

Cleared my cache, didn't help.

I'm on an N5 with 5.0.x if that helps. (pls help)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

From the department of "you can't please everybody", I liked "tap for next page" better than "pull for next page". App continues being awesome, though!
Yeah, I was getting used to seeing it and knowing when I didn't have any more pages to go through. Lazy, I know

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Oli posted:

Nice app. It highlights 'oli' (my username) in content though, in words like 'policy'.
Should be fixed in the next beta

(my username isn't as universal as yours but that should cover it)

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

CrashCat posted:

Yeah, I was getting used to seeing it and knowing when I didn't have any more pages to go through. Lazy, I know
I guess yeah, but it's the way it was before and the tap for next was just an interim solution :shrug:

spankmeister posted:

It would be nice if the bug could be fixed that when you open a forums.somethingawful.com link with the app it keeps showing up when you start the app. It also now is showing up every time I open the bookmarks. Instead of the bookmarks I get the thread. Annoying as gently caress.
It's part bug, part feature. If you click on a link you can get back to your original thread by pressing back. This is wired into Awful at a deep level and needs some work to change.

Zom Aur posted:

Small bug maybe, but if you reach the end or the top of the page and get the "pull to refresh/pull for next page" indicator, you can't scroll back up/down the page without releasing your finger.
Yeah it's a bug(?) in the library I used which just copied the official support library in that matter. Basically you can see the same thing in gmail or chrome.

Phone posted:

The Awful.app has decided to go rogue on me today. It keeps on logging me out and I can only refresh like once or twice before it says that it can't load data. Close the app, get booted to the credentials screen.

Cleared my cache, didn't help.

I'm on an N5 with 5.0.x if that helps. (pls help)

Maybe a problem with your internet connection. Any firewalls? Cloudflare? Have you changed your password recently? If you reset the app data and it persists it's usually not Awful (though it still can be). Try Reinstalling as a last resort.

/e: totally forgot about :

baka kaba posted:

Where's the latest git commits, obama??

I'm way behind and sometimes I go to fix a thing, and then I remember there's a secret advanced version somewhere

Also am I right in thinking the webview CSS markup is pulled direct from the forums? So that, say, trying to style the text on a particular part of a post relies on the forums HTML giving it a useful selector? I was trying to fix font sizing so that (especially) code tag text could be smaller and more readable, but changing the necessary things whacks some other text like usernames and the like, and I can't see a simple way to access them and put them right
https://github.com/Awful/Awful.apk/tree/AniMD

Also no. Well kinda but not really. We parse the forum html and then apply the parsed values like username and postcontent to a mustache template with CSS classes. However, everything in the postcontent relies on the forum selectors (stuff like quotes, code tags and so on)

Sereri fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sereri, first of all I'd like to thank you again for all your hard work supporting this app, I really like it and use it a lot.

Sereri posted:

It's part bug, part feature. If you click on a link you can get back to your original thread by pressing back. This is wired into Awful at a deep level and needs some work to change.
I forgot to mention this usually happens when opening links outside of Awful. So for instance from your web browser and you let Awful open the link. Once that happens you're stuck with whatever thread you opened every time you open Awful.