Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Tusk is on Amazon Prime. I can't really put into words how awful this film is and it actually makes me sort of giddy that Kevin Smith is allowed to keep embarrassing himself this badly. It is truly an unmitigated shitbomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

forever whatever posted:

Tusk is on Amazon Prime. I can't really put into words how awful this film is and it actually makes me sort of giddy that Kevin Smith is allowed to keep embarrassing himself this badly. It is truly an unmitigated shitbomb.

I had zero expectations going into this and I still couldn't believe how bad it was. Kevin Smith has to be the luckiest, most untalented man in show business.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

forever whatever posted:

Turned it off after 15 minutes. I would rather watch a Ghost Whisperer marathon.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is it bad in a trainwreck way? I can't remember if I've done a free trial for Amazon Prime yet. Pretty sure I already did. :\

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's bad in a "Kevin Smith has been making films for over twenty years and hasn't learned a single thing" kind of way.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I thought you said Dreamscape and was hoping to see how well it held up.
That's been on there before. I didn't think much of it; sort of a mediocre mix of Altered States and Inception. I never saw it before so maybe some nostalgia would have helped.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Not true! He learned how to smoke weed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's bad in a "Kevin Smith has been making films for over twenty years and hasn't learned a single thing" kind of way.

I just read the summary on Wikipedia and, uh, what the gently caress Kevin Smith. :catstare:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

neonnoodle posted:

Not true! He learned how to smoke weed.

You mean to say he hadn't been smoking weed since high school?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You mean to say he hadn't been smoking weed since high school?

No, he just recently started smoking weed and became some sort of pot authority believe it or not. I only know this because a radio show I like relentlessly makes fun of him. Otherwise, I would have assumed the same.

There really are no words for how bad Tusk is. I'd almost say it's worth watching to gawk at. You can read the stupid synopsis and get the general idea, but watching it is the only way to get an idea of how bad the characters are and their stupid podcast (yes it's about podcasters) or the completely cringe inducing romance sub plot.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 4, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
As far as good movies go: I just found A History of Violence on Canadian netflix. drat I wish I'd seen this a decade ago. Truly one of the few academy nominated films in the past 15 years that is actually good.

Edit
Vvvv
I don't think Tusk is a misunderstood and underappreciated classic, but that's your opinion I guess. :shrug:

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 4, 2015

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Tusk is Kevin Smith's "Human Centipede". If that sounds like film that needed to be made, then well, god help you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Human Centipede is a pretty good film that didn't need imitators (or the godawful sequel).

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

Human Centipede is a pretty good film that didn't need imitators (or the godawful sequel).

Is Tusk an imitator or a parody, though?

I'm sure it's awful either way, I just don't want people getting the impression that this is an earnest attempt at body horror.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

forever whatever posted:

I dunno Michael Parks is kind of good in it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was under the impression that Tusk's ridiculous premise was played straight and it actually was supposed to be a serious body horror film.

Maybe we should all watch it? Nah.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Tusk was made for $5 million and still didn't make money. Smith is still getting work somehow.

I haven't seen Tusk but just looking at some screen grabs and at the very least it looks better than a lot of his earlier stuff. So maybe he's learned something in 20 years.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

precision posted:

Is it bad in a trainwreck way? I can't remember if I've done a free trial for Amazon Prime yet. Pretty sure I already did. :\

For me, it's bad in a "This is almost interesting, but you hosed it up!" way, which feels disheartening rather than something like The Room. The beginning of Tusk wasn't really all that funny, or interesting, but I wanted to see how he handled the horror elements. And I was surprised that some of them were pretty alright! I thought, hey, maybe this movie will work out. I'm rooting for Smith here. I like the guy as a person, and I like that he's trying new things!

But then it goes into stupid bonkers mode, and all the comedy is drained from the film the moment a guest star appears, giving the most damming, annoying, and frustratingly inept performance of his entire career. And knowing who it is, that's saying a lot. Tusk was on the Cusp. But couldn't stick the landing. I would argue that most of it comes from the poor editing, which undercuts almost everything with some bad comedy bit.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
And just think, the horrible Johnny Depp character in Tusk is getting his own movie!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yaws posted:

Tusk was made for $5 million and still didn't make money.

This is the part I can't wrap my head around. The guy seems to be loving everywhere, or at least more present than he was when he was actually successful.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I actually saw Tusk last year in theaters, and just noticed it was on Prime. I get a kick out of hatewatching movies sometimes; personally, if someone genuinely likes it, or Smith films in general, that's cool. I just thought it was hilariously bad.

Actually, lately I've been hatewatching more stuff then I probably should. Isn't The Babadook and A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night supposed to be streaming soon? Because I'm seriously looking forward to both of those. I saw It Follows downtown the other night and I thought it was an awesome horror flick so I'm in the mood for more of that sort of thing. I think I might check out Housebound tonight, the consensus seems to be that it is a good one.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't really get hate watching. I mean I love watching movies that are so bad they're funny (Cannon, Golan-Globus, old b-movies, etc). It's 90 minutes of laughs. But why watch something that is just baaaaaaad and you don't even really want to watch it anyway.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
The "so bad it's funny" aspect is part of it for me. Another is trying to stay current with the cultural zeitgeist (which is why I saw American Sniper in theaters). Some of it is schadenfreude...I dunno. Lots of reasons. It's not the only reason I watch movies and tv shows but it's definitely one of them. Maybe I'm just a mean spirited dickweed.

I feel like Netflix/Prime lends itself well to hatewatching because there's SO MUCH ON IT that is terrible and sometimes it is easier to find something awful than something genuinely good. But don't get me wrong, I love good movies. Promise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't really get hate watching. I mean I love watching movies that are so bad they're funny (Cannon, Golan-Globus, old b-movies, etc). It's 90 minutes of laughs. But why watch something that is just baaaaaaad and you don't even really want to watch it anyway.

I learn far more from watching bad movies, than good movies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jose Oquendo posted:

Well I doubt anyone is "hate watching" things that are merely boring and banal, like nobody is all "oh man I am hatewatching The Young and The Restless guys it's hilarious". There's some element of "I'm amused at how bad this is on some level". And sometimes it's just schadenfreude.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Among Friends is terrible, don't watch it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Enjoying something for being bad seldom involves hating it. It's educational in a few ways, and I get really into the earnestness and effort of the filmmakers. I'm glad they found a way to make a movie, even if they're not very good at it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A bad film fan is not one who only watches bad movies; a bad film fan is one who only watches good movies.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Netflix is a goldmine for indie and foreign genre films.

Hulu Plus has tons of foreign movies also.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I thought you said Dreamscape and was hoping to see how well it held up.

david_a posted:

That's been on there before. I didn't think much of it; sort of a mediocre mix of Altered States and Inception. I never saw it before so maybe some nostalgia would have helped.

I think that mixing in elements of films that came out about 5 and 25 years later would be considered "forward thinking" and not "mediocre," but....

Dreamscape is not a childhood film of mine, just one I watched a ways back during a previous Netflix run. It caught my eye because of my interest in dreaming. The film did not really explore this subject as thoroughly as I had hoped, but I thought it was a relatively enjoyable 80s sci-fi/horror romp. Dennis Quaid is good as a gifted psychic who mostly uses his powers for skirt-chasing (including a kind of creepy scene where he enters a woman's dreams) before getting wrapped up in a more sinister research project. No lost gem, but it's an enjoyable enough '80s sci-fi/horror romp with a few nice set pieces. I imagine new viewers with a predilection for this sort of thing, as well as those who have seen the movie when they were younger, will find some things to enjoy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Netflix is a goldmine for indie and foreign genre films. Literally the entire catalogue of past Fantastic Fest entries has been on instant at one point or another.

Could you elucidate? Looking for more quality indie fare, i.e. in the mold of Short Term 12 or Blue Ruin.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

forever whatever posted:

I actually saw Tusk last year in theaters, and just noticed it was on Prime. I get a kick out of hatewatching movies sometimes; personally, if someone genuinely likes it, or Smith films in general, that's cool. I just thought it was hilariously bad.

Actually, lately I've been hatewatching more stuff then I probably should. Isn't The Babadook and A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night supposed to be streaming soon? Because I'm seriously looking forward to both of those. I saw It Follows downtown the other night and I thought it was an awesome horror flick so I'm in the mood for more of that sort of thing. I think I might check out Housebound tonight, the consensus seems to be that it is a good one.

Housebound is awesome. I really enjoyed it.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

AKMoose posted:

I think that mixing in elements of films that came out about 5 and 25 years later would be considered "forward thinking" and not "mediocre," but....

Dreamscape is not a childhood film of mine, just one I watched a ways back during a previous Netflix run. It caught my eye because of my interest in dreaming. The film did not really explore this subject as thoroughly as I had hoped, but I thought it was a relatively enjoyable 80s sci-fi/horror romp. Dennis Quaid is good as a gifted psychic who mostly uses his powers for skirt-chasing (including a kind of creepy scene where he enters a woman's dreams) before getting wrapped up in a more sinister research project. No lost gem, but it's an enjoyable enough '80s sci-fi/horror romp with a few nice set pieces. I imagine new viewers with a predilection for this sort of thing, as well as those who have seen the movie when they were younger, will find some things to enjoy.

Plus, the bad guy is Sully from "Commando". The one Matrix said he would kill last. he lied

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Well I doubt anyone is "hate watching" things that are merely boring and banal, like nobody is all "oh man I am hatewatching The Young and The Restless guys it's hilarious". There's some element of "I'm amused at how bad this is on some level". And sometimes it's just schadenfreude.

I kinda do like soaps, but I don't watch them because I hate them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Shageletic posted:

Could you elucidate? Looking for more quality indie fare, i.e. in the mold of Short Term 12 or Blue Ruin.

Short Term 12
We are the Best!
The Kids Are Alright
Ida

Blue Ruin
Old Joy
Bad Turn Worse
Night Moves (Amazon Prime)

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just finished up Garfunkel and Oates and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's like Broad City meets an actually good Flight of the Conchords.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

I just finished up Garfunkel and Oates and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's like Broad City meets an actually good Flight of the Conchords.

That makes me sad. Flight of the Conchords was good! Perfect Saturday afternoon show.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Shageletic posted:

Haven't seen either of those, but just to name a few fantastic indie/foreign on now-

Bullhead
Beginners
Joe
A Single Man
Mud
Gomorrah
City of God
City of Men
Elite Squad

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Shageletic posted:

Smashed, Two Days One Night, Frances Ha (maybe). All available on Netflix UK, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

weekly font posted:

Yeah I really liked it a lot. I was stupid and listened to TVIV saying how bad it was which is why I waited to watch it until now. Depressed it won't get any more episodes. Maybe they can Kickstart and put it on YouTube or something.

Broad City also owns, holy poo poo (it's on Hulu people, watch it, I think you might need Hulu Plus?)