Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Cards I would like to see reprinted Channel, Ashnods Altar, Fireball, Disintegrate, and Lightning Bolt. And not for the Channelball effect but Channel + Emrakul. Or maybe that's just broken.

Nah, turn 2 Emrakul is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
They're not about to reprint anything into Standard that's banned in Legacy for being too powerful.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Nothing to see here, misread the post.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I mostly think the Eldrazi creature cards are really stupid. I don't think Annihilator is all of that but by god it doesn't help.

gently caress off. It That Betrays is A++ and I won't hear otherwise.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Entropic posted:

They're not about to reprint anything into Standard that's banned in Legacy for being too powerful.

But it will be fun. But I guess Wizards hates fun.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Toshimo posted:

My buddy uses it that betrays in commander all the time. I had to crop rotation for a homeward path to beat him. Yes I play that lovely land because of people being shitheads.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Toshimo posted:

I'll admit that a ridiculous giant creature that steals your permanents is way cooler than a ridiculous giant creature that just blows them up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It That Betrays is the coolest of the Eldrazi, has way more style than the other ones

Well I do sort of like Artisan of Kozilek as well

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My buddy uses it that betrays in commander all the time. I had to crop rotation for a homeward path to beat him. Yes I play that lovely land because of people being shitheads.
I thought Homeward Path was explicitly printed to give people a solution to that sort of thing in Commander?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Spiderdrake posted:

Well I do sort of like Artisan of Kozilek as well
I thought Homeward Path was explicitly printed to give people a solution to that sort of thing in Commander?

Homeward Path is the ~most Sheldon card~. It's hot garbage, but they printed it because people kept getting the feelbads when someone control magic'ed their commander.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Homeward Path is an effect that's nice to have in the game somewhere but the implementation is dumb. There's very little tension or opportunity cost beyond having one more colorless land in your EDH deck. That's what makes it a dumb card in my mind, not the idea of a way to get back stolen permanents.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I'll be surprised if we don't get enemy fetches, full-art basics, and the return of Landfall (hopefully better balanaced for Limited this time) in Zendikar 2.

hastag free hedron crab

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

So what is the downside of AVR in legacy? I wasn't playing at the time so I don't know what Legacy was like then but it seems like its big contribution was enabling Miracles which is a pretty cool control deck.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

So what is the downside of AVR in legacy? I wasn't playing at the time so I don't know what Legacy was like then but it seems like its big contribution was enabling Miracles which is a pretty cool control deck.

Grizzlebees was the biggest one, also Countertop was already a cool deck before miracles were printed.

e: also craterhoof.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AVR has a bunch of influence on Legacy. Does it run Bonfire? I feel like it should be running at least one Bonfire.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

1 mana instant speed Wrath and 3 mana 7/7 Flying, Lifelink Yawgmoth's Bargains, mainly.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

Nothing's wrong with Annihilator and permanents aren't sacred cows.

I was going to write a post about how I disagree, but really I don't. I mean, having a creature that effectively ends the game come down on turn 4-5 or even later, is really not different than splinter twin comboing off and ending the game. I think people just get butthurt because, sometimes they can cheat it out even earlier when defenses are lower, and people feel like they should be able to deal with a creature better than they can most eldrazi. It really isn't unbalanced. I'd expect if they do annihilator again on giant eldrazi they'll have some "if you didn't cast this from your hand sacrifice it" clause on them.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

For some reason I thought Big G was Dark Ascension. I guess I don't pay enough attention to set symbols.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

With them doing return to Zendikar I think new Eldrazi are less an if then a when.

Hopefully they don't make something even crazier than Emerakul

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

I just was annoyed because there is a big difference between Legacy and Standard. Having one card blow out your fragile combo in a universe that has Force of Will is a big difference.

AVR did shake up legacy something fierce. I also quit after playing block constructed at GP LA for 3 years, so I feel it's extra bad.

Honestly outside of the miracles mechanic I don't think griselbrand or craterhoof are actually that bad. it's mostly just adding a bunch of synergistic cards to the most durdly loving control deck out there that makes it unappealing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

OK guys I foudn the best playmat. Sorry JacexSorin, this is now #1.

jassi007 posted:

I was going to write a post about how I disagree, but really I don't. I mean, having a creature that effectively ends the game come down on turn 4-5 or even later, is really not different than splinter twin comboing off and ending the game. I think people just get butthurt because, sometimes they can cheat it out even earlier when defenses are lower, and people feel like they should be able to deal with a creature better than they can most eldrazi. It really isn't unbalanced. I'd expect if they do annihilator again on giant eldrazi they'll have some "if you didn't cast this from your hand sacrifice it" clause on them.

Gearheart won a game through 2 emrakul swings - it's fine in that respect too. I wonder if the people who get butthurt about losing lands as a resource are separate from or overlap the people who get mad about cards as a resource being lost to hand discard.

e: As a miracles player, it is actually cool and good.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sigma-X posted:

AVR did shake up legacy something fierce. I also quit after playing block constructed at GP LA for 3 years, so I feel it's extra bad.

Honestly outside of the miracles mechanic I don't think griselbrand or craterhoof are actually that bad. it's mostly just adding a bunch of synergistic cards to the most durdly loving control deck out there that makes it unappealing.

They did give us a nice "eat a dick countertop" card in the next set though. Abrupt decay crushed that durdle poo poo for a while... Which was nice.

Smug prick: I cast counter balance and top.
Me: abrupt decay your counter balance.
Smug prick staring at the top of his deck and his force of will: uhhhhhhhh....

Edit: when it first came out and I immedialey shoved a 4 of into punishing Jund I let them try to counter it as well. They would durdle with top and put a 2 casting cost card on top and show it. I would be a dick and say "that's nice, go ahead and put the counterbalance in the graveyard." They would look at me like I'm an rear end in a top hat and explain what counter balance did. Which let me be an rear end in a top hat and go "oh yeah it does do that. But last time I checked this card said 'can't be countered.'"

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 5, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It's probably because I joined Magic when Innistrad came out, but all of those "terrible" changes to Legacy don't really bother me. Then again, I also didn't care too much about graveyard decks being hated out by Rest in Peace from Return to Ravnica. Legacy is better defined by mistakes by R&D than by a purposeful direction.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

OK guys I foudn the best playmat. Sorry JacexSorin, this is now #1.

Gearheart won a game through 2 emrakul swings - it's fine in that respect too. I wonder if the people who get butthurt about losing lands as a resource are separate from or overlap the people who get mad about cards as a resource being lost to hand discard.

e: As a miracles player, it is actually cool and good.

where do I get this?

we have some pretty gross anime playmat dudes and I want this for backup.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

where do I get this?

we have some pretty gross anime playmat dudes and I want this for backup.

You can easily find male models to get off to via google.

But seriously, it's an image you'll need to submit to a custom playmat website. Such as Inked Playmats.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The only righteous busted legacy card is the one that fits in my legacy deck

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ramos posted:

You can easily find male models to get off to via google.

But seriously, it's an image you'll need to submit to a custom playmat website. Such as Inked Playmats.

"Dude, like my playmat of [almost nude anime lady]?"

Yo, that's pretty good and all, but check out my Polnareff playmat! :getin:

Edit: So, where does Storm rate on the Storm scale?

I'm thinking 6?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

"Dude, like my playmat of [almost nude anime lady]?"

Yo, that's pretty good and all, but check out my Polnareff playmat! :getin:

Edit: So, where does Storm rate on the Storm scale?

I'm thinking 6?

The storm scale was, at its birth, literally 1 to Storm. Storm was originally a ten. No clue where it is now.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Ramos posted:

The storm scale was, at its birth, literally 1 to Storm. Storm was originally a ten. No clue where it is now.

Probably still at the top, I can't think of a mechanic since then that's been anywhere close to as broken for everything from standard to vintage.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Storm isn't broken as long as you never use it on anything that can win the game when multiplied by 20. I.e. nothing useful or interesting.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sotar posted:

Well, nevermind then :(. Still, I would like to know where to find playtest groups.

If you play at card kingdom on Fridays, look for the mustachioed guy, I can probably help you find some people.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Dragonstorm was actually really cool and not at all broken. Grapeshot is probably fine too, because counting to 20 with spells is substantially harder than 10. Tendrils and Empty the Warrens are probably a little too good, and Minds Desire is just straight-up "who thought this was a good idea".

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's just not a lot of design space left for Storm that isn't either broken or boring. Especially at common or uncommon.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jabor posted:

Dragonstorm was actually really cool and not at all broken. Grapeshot is probably fine too, because counting to 20 with spells is substantially harder than 10. Tendrils and Empty the Warrens are probably a little too good, and Minds Desire is just straight-up "who thought this was a good idea".

Mind's Desire, at least when it was printed, was considered interesting but incredibly tough to make it work. Brain Freeze was preferred as a wincon IIRC.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cascade and the manaless suspend spells strike me as dumber than Storm and the 'untap lands' cycle of blue spells were hilarious in how poorly thought out they were. Great Whale more like random infinite mana combo in a midrange deck because reasons?

Granted with how WoTC is now stuff like eye of nowhere is probably highly rated on the storm scale. And Gigadrowse. I wonder how they feel about Ankh of Mishra.

Also you can make tons of Storm spells that aren't overpowered but the mechanic has little design space in terms of actually interesting cards. Very specific niche stuff might work fine to make still interesting cards, like I don't know, a mini collected company or mini returned to the ranks with storm, but those are still really hard to find homes for. Might be more interesting if you could split part of the card off from the storm, like the copies just have Scry 1 or Gain 1 Life, but then that isn't Storm anymore. Well I guess like "The first copy of this spell to resolve in a turn does X and Y, otherwise just do Y. Storm." Works.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I think the biggest issue facing reprinting storm is that everyone will get mad at wizards if storm gets reprinted and was just okay. Like, if it was like most keyword mechanics, where it doesn't really have a deck oriented around it, and sees a little bit of play in standard, it would be seen as an utter disaster by fans.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Personally I see nothing wrong with the "Letter Bomb" mechanic. I predict that.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Storm is awesome because it's a mechanic that is on its own very mediocre and is entirely dependant on the engine it's built around. The fact that wizards prints cards like brainstorm and dark ritual doesn't in itself make the storm mechanic bad.

Dragonstorm was one of the coolest decks ever

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Watching Dragonstorm vs Ignite Memories live at Worlds 2007 was absolutely incredible. The crowd was going NUTS.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Cactrot posted:

If you play at card kingdom on Fridays, look for the mustachioed guy, I can probably help you find some people.

Yeah, I play at Mox Boarding House in Bellevue now since I can literally walk there. I might show up to Saturday drafts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
At the very least countering the storm spell should have countered the storm trigger.

• Locked thread