Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Well the state is already throwing money at the problem via desalination plants - the Carlsbad facility is scheduled to begin operation next year:

Yup, a Billion dollar facility to make 7% of the San Diego county needs. Oh and that's the largest plant constructed in the US. Meanwhile, recycling waste water is 1/2 the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trabisnikof posted:

Yup, a Billion dollar facility to make 7% of the San Diego county needs. Oh and that's the largest plant constructed in the US. Meanwhile, recycling waste water is 1/2 the cost.

Desalination is more popular with the public, though. Most people don't understand the cost/energy requirements and waster generation of large scale desalination. They're thinking on simpler terms of "we're next to a huge body of water, we have the tech to get the salt out of it, so why aren't we doing it?!" Meanwhile, 'recycled water' conjures up the image of drinking other people's toilet water, which freaks out a good number of people. Sure it's the better solution, but this is politics, and they're going to do what gets them elected.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Where do they think the treated toilet water goes, if we don't drink it?

That's right, right into the ocean.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Well the state is already throwing money at the problem via desalination plants - the Carlsbad facility is scheduled to begin operation next year:

The "proposed" plant in Santa Cruz is never going to happen because nearly every group I can think of opposed it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Trabisnikof posted:

Desalination is not a realistic option for solving the California water problem. They're an incredibly expensive and have huge waste issues. It would be cheaper to just subsidize the pressurizers and sand filters that Ag users need to switch to drop irrigation instead.

Or heck, if you want to throw money at the problem, I'd suggest covering the ditches that transport most of our water. Fewer dead deer in the LA water supply as a nice bonus!

The plants can provide drinking water to people, and probably enough water to shower.
We are never going to run out of residential water in CA. This freakout is loving hilarious.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://www.alternet.org/environment/why-jerry-brown-letting-big-ag-and-oil-gluttons-suck-most-californias-water

quote:

Why Is Jerry Brown a Letting Big Ag. and Oil Gluttons Suck Up Most of California's Water?

... with a conference that Mr. Reznick and his pistachio company, Paramount Farms, held just last month, where they bragged, literally bragged and celebrated about the record profits that they are making on pistachios, on almonds, and not only the profits, but the record production levels, and the record acreage levels, which means that as the state has been going into drought, nevertheless agricultural interests are planting more and more acreage, new almond trees — we are growing alfalfa here which is a very thirsty crop and gets exported over to China. There are all kinds of examples of this. But, the pain is not being felt equally here.

The growers at that conference, they literally trooped out of that conference listening to Louis Armstrong saying "it’s a wonderful world," and I think the mood was captured by one grower who said, "I’ve been smiling all the way to the bank," and they played a clip from that Tom Cruise movie, "Jerry Maguire" where Cruise yells out "show me the money." Well, they are making plenty of money, some of the big farmers here, and that’s largely because they are still getting plenty of water, and, as I say, the experts say that this water is underpriced. If that if we did price it properly, which means a little bit higher, that there is enormous strides that California could be taking with water efficiency. We literally could, essentially, wipe out the effects of the drought in California — 22 percent decrease in water consumption in the agricultural areas, which would be roughly the equivalent of the amount of surface water that the farmers did not have last year because of the drought. So, there is a lot that can be technologically, but until you get the pricing right, and the political economy of this straight, we are not going to see those things.

AMY GOODMAN: What about that? As you describe Stewart Reznick, a Beverly Hills billionaire known for his agricultural — sprawling agricultural holdings — his connection to the governors of California?

MARK HERTSGAARD: Not just the governors. Mr. Reznick, as you mentioned, he’s a billionaire, he made his money, basically, by, not so much being a smart farmer, as being a smart business man and a great, great marketer. He hired Stephen Colbert to do a Super Bowl commercial for pistachios. And he has seen, as many big business people do, that you have great advantages if you throw a lot of money around in politics, and he has been a bipartisan campaign contributor to Republicans and Democrats alike — pretty much every governor — Senator Dianne Feinstein, all of them, have been recipients of Mr. Reznick’s campaign contributions.

Total tangent, but no matter what else happens theres always that word "Feinstein" in any story about how CA is going to poo poo. Who the gently caress votes for that villainous troll anymore?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Pohl posted:

The plants can provide drinking water to people, and probably enough water to shower.
We are never going to run out of residential water in CA. This freakout is loving hilarious.

It won't be long before Santa Barbara is out of residential water. We relied nearly 100% on local water sources before our state water hookup; even now the state gives barely a trickle. When is the state going to hand over more water? We have no idea and no control over that.

The city of Santa Barbara pays about $5 million per year for our state water hookup, for which the state promises us 3,300 acre feet per year (1/3 of the city's usage). The ACTUAL allocation last year was 5%, and this year it's a generous 10%. Sweet! That's a cost of only $15,000 per acre foot. In fairness, the hookup at least allows us to buy additional water from rice farmers... at further cost of ~$1800 per acre foot plus returning the water (in equal or greater amounts) over the next decade (it's just a rental, I guess?).

OTOH, our desalination plant (missing from the above map for unknown reasons) can provide a third of the city's water for $1500-$2000 per acre foot. Why the hell shouldn't we fire it back up? (We also recycle our wastewater into non-potable irrigation water for $1200 per acre foot. We just refurbished the system; hopefully we can expand it soon too.)

In a perfect world there are other options, but the residents of this city can't personally go out and build covers over the California aqueduct, or (legally) burn down all the almond trees in the state. We can (and do) bitch and moan and vote, but so far that's as effective as bare-handed karate chopping at the almond trees. Of the locally-available options that can guarantee us actual water, desalination is a pretty reasonable choice.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FRINGE posted:

Total tangent, but no matter what else happens theres always that word "Feinstein" in any story about how CA is going to poo poo. Who the gently caress votes for that villainous troll anymore?
Gimme a contested Democratic primary, and I will vote against DiFi with both hands. DiFi is a covert Republican, but she votes for my issues more often than any of the Republicans I've seen running for that seat.

Parts of California are already running out of residential water, because they depend on depleted aquifers. It's a big ol' state, and almost anything is happening somewhere.

I'm seriously contemplating a very simple laundry-to-yard greywater system, because my lot runs straight downhill and I already have fruit trees in a direct line from the laundry machine. The major catch is whether I can trust the rest of the household to turn the diverter valve when they use plant-unhealthy laundry products.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Gimme a contested Democratic primary, and I will vote against DiFi with both hands. DiFi is a covert Republican, but she votes for my issues more often than any of the Republicans I've seen running for that seat.

Pretty much this, yeah. No Democrat is going to run against Feinstein since she's so entrenched, and any Republican who runs against her is invariably going to be a worse choice, since they have to appear further to the right of her (which must be a challenge some days, I wager). Feinstein is absolutely awful, but she's the lesser of two evils, which is about all we get to make a choice between these days.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm really bummed it was Boxer rather than Feinstein who retired.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm really bummed it was Boxer rather than Feinstein who retired.

On the other hand, "Senator Kamala Harris of California".

On the other other hand, "Senator Gavin Newsom of California" is still possible.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Maybe Napolitano will end her term as UC President when Feinstein retires and run for her seat. :v:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Maybe Napolitano will end her term as UC President when Feinstein retires and run for her seat. :v:

I don't care how she gets ousted as UC President, just so long as she fucks off somehow.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Leperflesh posted:

The fundamental issue you're describing is zoning, and the disinterest people have in cities in allowing higher-density zoning in their backyards. Those laws that dictate a certain density can be changed, simply by rezoning for higher density: but the voters and communities in question don't want to. The landowners in those communities are disincentivized to, because refusing to allow density to increase drives up home prices due to the restriction on supply... and they already own the homes.

Renters must seize control of their cities and force rezoning for density.
This actually happened in Mountain View. The city has wildly shifted from representing nimby no-growthers to approving some rather large dense housing projects near something resembling an actual downtown.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ComradeCosmobot posted:

On the other other hand, "Senator Gavin Newsom of California" is still possible.

Kamala Harris is kind of an unethical tool, or was that the point?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Eh, he's pushing his chips in pretty hard for the Governorship. Unless Feinstein hangs on for a really long time, I think the timing is off for Newsome. Unless he loses the race for Governor.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Eh, he's pushing his chips in pretty hard for the Governorship. Unless Feinstein hangs on for a really long time, I think the timing is off for Newsome. Unless he loses the race for Governor.

Aside from those two who else are the top tier candidates the CA Democrats have? Goodwin Liu?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ShadowHawk posted:

This actually happened in Mountain View. The city has wildly shifted from representing nimby no-growthers to approving some rather large dense housing projects near something resembling an actual downtown.
Yeah, this last election three outgoing councilmen (councilpeople? councilpersons?) who were against housing in north bayshore (area around Google, linkedin, et al) were replaced with three candidates who were in favor of it, so that's good. Maybe Mountain View will become a True City between SF and SJ.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Aside from those two who else are the top tier candidates the CA Democrats have? Goodwin Liu?

Eric Garcetti (Mayor of Los Angeles) is up and coming unless there's been some scandal I haven't heard about. Goodwin Liu is an academic, not a politician. Unless he gets nominated to some higher court, I think he's content being a justice.

edit: Maybe John Chiang someday, since he's perennially bouncing around from one elected position to another.

Bizarro Watt fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 5, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

President Gavin Newsom :v:

You know he wants it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

You know he wants it.

So did Gray Davis.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

So did Gray Davis.
He was en route until the "energy crisis".

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Antonio Villaraig.... haha, I can't even finish that sentence.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

I'll just mention that every day the fact that my hometown's congressional district wasn't fired up and ready for Ro makes me smile.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

nm posted:

Kamala Harris is kind of an unethical tool, or was that the point?

What's this about?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Family Values posted:

What's this about?

I'm not sure myself. I was trying to say it wasn't a net bad. :confused:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The only negative thing I can remember about Harris involved a guy who was in prison under three strikes, but was declared innocent on appeal. The AG Office tried to say they didn't need to release him, even if he was innocent, because he missed the filing deadline for his writ of habeas corpus.

Edit: Here it is. Daniel Larsen was the guy: http://californiainnocenceproject.org/read-their-stories/daniel-larsen/

quote:

The court found that Danny was innocent, the police officers who testified at his trial were not credible, and his trial attorney was constitutionally ineffective for failing to call witnesses on Mr. his behalf.

Before Mr. Larsen was released, the Attorney General appealed the judge’s ruling. The Attorney General’s main argument was that even if Danny was innocent, his conviction should not be reversed because he waited too long to file his petition. In other words, an innocent man should spend his life in prison due to a legal technicality.

Almost three years after his exoneration, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals finally decided to release Danny. Although the status of his exoneration will remain in limbo pending the Attorney General’s almost certain appeal to the United States Supreme Court, Danny and CIP are celebrating.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 5, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^
I didn't even know about that one.

Family Values posted:

What's this about?

She's been supporting DAs who commit perjury and falsify evidence to get convictions.
The one from Riverside is only a start. Kern had a fabrication scandal as well and she's been busy defending them too.

Edit: phone posting, but this is re:kern and references the riverside one in a link
http://observer.com/2015/03/california-prosecutor-falsifies-transcript-of-confession/

AG would be who would indict those DAs too.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 5, 2015

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

She also dated Willie Brown back when Brown was speaker in the State Assembly.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Litany Unheard posted:

You know he wants it.

A replicant president would be a big improvement IMO

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
The rich should be forced to do the commuting if they want their fancy places. Otherwise they can live like normal people.

http://truth-out.org/news/item/2989...ys-to-get-there

quote:

Five Reasons Why San Francisco Needs to Use Public Lands for Public Benefit, Not Luxury Housing

A record number of students are homeless. Essential nonprofit organizations are being displaced from the communities they serve. Small, locally owned businesses can't survive as rents soar.

The angst that is swelling throughout San Francisco and pushing outward to other Bay Area cities is not because people are resisting change. The angst is over the largest growing inequality gap in the country. At the forefront of people's concerns is how much people now have to spend on rent. Market-rate housing is catering to the region's new wealth, while the government is rolling out policies to make the city a rich man's playground.

... 1. There are more homeless students than ever before. Teachers are homeless too.

... 2. The city can't house its workforce. Even government workers can't afford it here.

... 3. Small businesses are closing. They need affordable rent too.

... 4. Nonprofits are being displaced by skyrocketing rent.

... 5. The lotteries and wait lists for affordable housing in San Francisco number in the thousands.

How the city can build 100 percent affordable housing on public sites without selling out to for-profit developers:

... 1. Stop trying to solve affordable housing through market-rate housing, and instead tax large businesses directly.

... 2. Regional jobs - housing nexus.

... 3. Prioritize nonprofit, arts, child care and locally owned small businesses.

... 4. Pay in installments, so the city doesn't hamstring the general fund.

... 5. Hang on to these assets. Don't let them go.

Spend less on rent and hire a chauffeur. :colbert:

Also bring out the guillotine for developers gouging the area into destruction. Cant wait for the city to crumble from the inside because all the servants leave and the neo-rich forget how to cook and wipe their asses. Ring the Easter bells its time for a spiritual war!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I want to believe you're being sarcastic, but I don't think you are.

quote:

Stop trying to solve affordable housing through market-rate housing, and instead tax large businesses directly.
Huh, well I guess getting rid of the high-paying jobs probably would help the rent situation.

quote:

Housing needs are driven by economic activity and growth, so why not look to the industries that create the needs for housing to provide subsidies for affordable housing?
They already do this. It's called, "paying wages." Are they seriously asking, "why don't businesses help pay housing costs for people who aren't their employees, huh??"?

quote:

There's plenty of high-cost housing being built. That part of the market takes care of itself.
It's almost like if you heavily restrict the amount of production for a certain type of good, the producers of that good will try to exclusively target the high end of the market. Wow!!

quote:

Better for the economy to look instead to tie economic activity and economic growth to the creation of affordable housing.
What makes housing affordable is having a lot of it.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 5, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Because what you just said is totes working for San Fran already. :rolleyes:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh, has SF been building a lot of housing?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Well you see vicious and destructive profiteering is a sign of health because :patriot:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

FRINGE posted:

Well you see vicious and destructive profiteering is a sign of health because :patriot:
Restricting development of housing has clearly been working so well for SF to control housing costs, why fix what ain't broke?

Obviously it's just greedy developers causing the problem. Developers in places like Phoenix or Houston aren't as greedy, so that's why housing is more affordable there.

Leperflesh posted:

"Profiteering" is an opinion. Developers attempting to build housing in SF face an approvals process that can be measured in decades, along with incredibly unusual and burdensome restrictions and requirements. A developer does not have unlimited funds to devote to a multi-year planning and design and approvals process that could (and often does) end up with the project simply failing. That same developer can take their money and time elsewhere.

The only incentive for a developer to bother with SF's hosed up system is profit. And in order to provide sufficient incentive to brave the hosed up process for years, there has to be a very fat profit. SF has done this to itself. "Profiteering developers" are the only kind of developers SF can have, because SF has made it impossible for a profit-based business to attempt to build less profitable housing.
No, I'm pretty sure this is a market failure, you kkkapitalist! Highly restrictive zoning ordinances and onerous approval processes are part of the free market, right?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 5, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As low-wage workers increasingly can't afford to live in or near SF, SF businesses have been forced to pay increasingly higher wages for low-wage workers. The city now has one of the highest minimum wages in the country, for example. It's not a complete solution - as mentioned, students are pretty hosed, and there's a lot of people just living in tiny rooms, illegal inlaws, etc. who help to hold down wages by accepting a lower wage for a job. Ironically, rent-controlled apartments also hold down wages - if those people had to pay market rents, they couldn't afford to live here for what they're being paid, and the employers would be forced (collectively) to pay higher wages to attract the same workers.

The economics of the situation are completely inescapable. SF can either greatly increase the rate at which it builds housing, or, it can see skyrocketing wages across the board. The former requires NIMBY taxpayers and neighborhood associations and activists etc. to stop blocking housing, simultaneously with voters electing people who will reform the approvals process. The latter will happen inevitably if the former doesn't; SF can and will survive as an enclave of the rich, provided those rich people are willing to pay outrageous sums for haircuts, coffee, sewer maintenance, bus fare, groceries, and everything else.

FRINGE posted:

"Profiteering" is an opinion. Developers attempting to build housing in SF face an approvals process that can be measured in decades, along with incredibly unusual and burdensome restrictions and requirements. A developer does not have unlimited funds to devote to a multi-year planning and design and approvals process that could (and often does) end up with the project simply failing. That same developer can take their money and time elsewhere.

The only incentive for a developer to bother with SF's hosed up system is profit. And in order to provide sufficient incentive to brave the hosed up process for years, there has to be a very fat profit. SF has done this to itself. "Profiteering developers" are the only kind of developers SF can have, because SF has made it impossible for a profit-based business to attempt to build less profitable housing.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Leperflesh posted:

The amount of restrictions, regulations, and ordinances anyone has to jump through to get anything done, literally means only the most wealthy developers/people are able to pay there way through the red tape, and build anything in the city. People think they're voting in more 'egalitarian' ordinances, but really all it does is further restrict the housing stock in the city.

There's a huge incentive for property owners to keep development down, buy property, sit on it, and flip it later for profit. You don't even have to add value to your property. There are entire cottage industries built around this, due to zoning ordinances and people convinced all development is evil.

Edit:

One of the funniest thing I saw on the ballot last year was a proposal to build a multi use day/night athletic field around GG park. There were two propositions on the ballot. One to renovate, and develop the athletic fields, and the other to essentially stop it.

quote:

A City of San Francisco Parks and Athletic Fields Renovation and Conversion Council-Referred Measure, Proposition I ballot question was on the November 4, 2014 election ballot for voters in the city of San Francisco, California. It was approved.

Proposition I allowed improvements, renovations and developments of recreational areas to go forward unfettered by delays caused by appeals, petitions and other protests under the following conditions:[1]

the renovations must be approved by any state-mandated environmental review, California Coastal Commission review or any other relevant regulatory board or entity if required by law
the improvements must bring about an estimated doubling of the public's use of the area
The measure contained a poison clause that invalidated a competing initiative concerning preservation of natural grass in Golden Gate Park, which wasn't approved nonetheless. If both this measure and the competing initiative had been approved, the one with the most "yes" votes would have taken precedence with regard to the Golden Gate Park Beach Chalet soccer fields. Proposition I, however, had provisions that extend beyond the scope of Proposition H. These provisions that were not directly in conflict with the competing measure would have stayed intact even if Prop. H had been approved.[2][3]

quote:

A City of San Francisco "Golden Gate Park Athletic Fields Renovation Act" Preservation Initiative, Proposition H ballot question was on the November 4, 2014 election ballot for voters in the city of San Francisco, California. It was defeated.

If approved, Proposition H would have enacted an initiative called "Golden Gate Park Athletic Fields Renovation Act." This initiative, designed and backed by the Coalition to Protect Golden Gate Park, would have required all fields in the western portion of the Golden Gate Park to remain natural grass fields and would have prohibited the construction of any nighttime lighting for these fields.

The measure was triggered by the city's plan to renovate the Beach Chalet soccer fields on the western edge of the Golden Gate Park. The city council referred a competing measure to the ballot - Proposition I - that sought to authorize the project. Prop. I was approved.[1]

I love how Proposition H was clearly a bunch of rich NIMBYies in the area who didn't want any development. I also love how their entire angle was "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE NATURAL GRASS!!?!?" I'm sure a chunk of people saw "natural grass" and voted for it, solely on "Yah I love nature idk". People have found a way to leverage far left environmentalists to further profiteer of the dismal situation.

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 5, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't forget: redevelopment, the most evil one of all! Not only are you doing new development, you're kicking out a bunch of rent-controlled apartment-dwellers, knocking down an old building, and then you're gonna build new, not-rent-controlled housing... at higher density (a taller building perhaps)? Where is everyone going to park? You've ruined the skyline! My view will be different! Those people in their $900 apartments they've had since 1978, probably several are grandmas on fixed incomes.

I have sympathy for people suddenly being evicted from places they've lived all their lives, I really do. Especially if the eviction is effectively an eviction from the entire city, because there's no market-rate apartment available that this person can possibly afford. But the only reasonable solution is to build enough housing to keep the market rate down, and for every proposed project that gets defeated by the neighborhood activists, there's a dozen that were never even proposed for the same reason.

The city has a backlog of demand on the order of a hundred thousand units or so, at least. The only way to get that kind of housing into SF without paving over its green spaces is to knock down existing housing and replace it with higher density. Redevelopment is the only option to lower housing prices in the city, and it will take a lot of redevelopment and construction before the effect changes from "slows down the increase in housing prices" to "housing prices become flat year-over-year" to "housing prices actually start to decline."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If only another earthquake could level San Fransisco so redevelopment could actually happen.