Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Americans just want to shoot the problem and make it go away. From this perspective the Republicans are the better choice because everyone and their racist uncle knows those fuckers are crazy and will kill whoever it takes to get the job done.

Unfortunately the realities of terrorism are complex, nuanced, and not solveable by just killing the right people. But good luck explaining that to most Americans (including many on the left)
One of the most disgusting things about the Iraq War was the refusal to admit the inevitable refugees. Even the interpreters and locals who helped were left to fend for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

site posted:

Sorry for dragging this up, but time value only works when the person in question has the ability to invest those earning in the first place, which for the type of people in question (low-income earners) is a highly dubious proposition.

Not really, because the returns don't have to be literal money percentages. $10 now that lets you get your kid a flu shot can save him weeks of missed school, saving him a year of repeating a grade or just doing lovely forever more, saving him from finding a poo poo job instead of achieving potential to go to college and earn more actual money later. If (*if*) you assume someone willing and psychologically able to plan for the future, time value of money still very much applies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

berzerker posted:

Not really, because the returns don't have to be literal money percentages. $10 now that lets you get your kid a flu shot can save him weeks of missed school, saving him a year of repeating a grade or just doing lovely forever more, saving him from finding a poo poo job instead of achieving potential to go to college and earn more actual money later. If (*if*) you assume someone willing and psychologically able to plan for the future, time value of money still very much applies.
I was talking about direct investments into stocks, bonds, etc., and savings of enough lump sums of cash to gain returns on it. That poo poo just ain't gonna happen when you're poor.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Branis posted:

I don't think there's ever been an actual existential threat to the US except maybe the civil war. Germany in the 40s couldn't get enough ships together to invade England, let alone cross the atlantic and invade the US.

Bah, the Nazis would have colonized Venus by 1962.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

site posted:

I was talking about direct investments into stocks, bonds, etc., and savings of enough lump sums of cash to gain returns on it. That poo poo just ain't gonna happen when you're poor.

If you're poor, you still get affected by time value of money on stuff like borrowing.
Stuff like this really highlights the need for financial literacy.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

site posted:

And I'm sure if you offered a poor person $10 today or $10 tomorrow, they'd be indifferent, because time value of money just doesn't apply. :rolleyes:

Present value is if anything even more heavily discounted over time for poor people than for others.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I thought I'd drop a little local shenanigans here.

Ernie Chambers is north Omaha's Senator, and has been since 1971. He was big in the north Omaha community prior to that, and did a lot to champion civil rights for black Nebraskans.

A few weeks ago, in some committee meeting he said "my ISIS is the police," in response to someone who said, no poo poo, ISIS is a reason to expand gun carry rights in Nebraska. Chambers' response was characteristically Chambers.

He has, if you may gather, not apologized, and in fact doubled down. There's now a ton of weird procedural slapfights going on over this, and I would just recommend the Nebraska Republicans drop it because if anyone knows the legislative arcana, it's Ernie Chambers who is probably going to try to make everyone's lives a living hell until they stop their mad crusade to get him to apologize for something he is clearly never going to apologize for (he in fact just sang in front of the Unicameral and delayed a bunch of bills in retaliation for retaliation against him).

Local politics :downs:

Build a goddamned statue of that man. How have I never heard of him before?

I hope they keep asking him about it forever.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Grapplejack posted:

By using his terminator time travel powers to go back in time and rewrite the constitution.

Like the founders will listen to a loving Hessian. His best bet is using his time travel powers to make his mother visit America for his birth. An anchor baby even Representative King can get behind, despite cantaloupe sized calves.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Branis posted:

I don't think there's ever been an actual existential threat to the US except maybe the civil war. Germany in the 40s couldn't get enough ships together to invade England, let alone cross the atlantic and invade the US.

The Cold War was more of an existential threat to the US than WW2, in that it was an existential threat to the human race.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

How to make a cocktail, according to the US Department of Agriculture Forrest Service, 1974.

I cannot respect an agency that doesn't use 2oz pours for their cocktails

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Obama will add an exception once he finishes his 5th term as Emperor.

That's not necessary since he's already rendered the provision moot.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Joementum posted:

Get back with Maria and run her as a Lurleen Wallace style candidate.

I look forward to America's new foreign relations doctrine: "If it bleeds, we can kill it."

*does not apply to bleeding edge technology like the F35

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

mdemone posted:

Build a goddamned statue of that man. How have I never heard of him before?

I hope they keep asking him about it forever.
Fun fact: they passed a term limit law designed to get him out of office a few years ago, which actually replaced a lot of older Senators.

He took a term off, ran again, and won in a landslide. So not only did it not work, a lot of the people that knew him and worked with him, Republicans and Democrats alike, were gone. Now it's a bunch of tea partiers getting slapped by a guy who's been in the Unicameral for two generations.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Today is the 47th anniversary of this happening.

RFK spoke that evening from Indiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6mxL2cqxrA

LBJ monitored the situation from the Oval Office.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

RFK would have been President. His speeches were so enthralling.

Speaking of the F35, someone on my Facebook feed shared an article of how the helmets for the pilots were going to cost $400,000 a piece because they would allow the pilot to be able to see in all angles as if the plane was not even there.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Hmmmmmmmmmm

Joementum, is there any way for Schwartzeneger to become President? Run for Veep and el pres resigns?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Joementum, is there any way for Schwartzeneger to become President? Run for Veep and el pres resigns?

Sadly, the 25th amendment prevents this. Anyone in the Presidential line of succession who's not otherwise eligible for the office gets skipped over, so he can't even get named Ag Secretary and become President by being the designated survivor during the State of the Union.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I thought I'd drop a little local shenanigans here.

Ernie Chambers is north Omaha's Senator, and has been since 1971. He was big in the north Omaha community prior to that, and did a lot to champion civil rights for black Nebraskans.

A few weeks ago, in some committee meeting he said "my ISIS is the police," in response to someone who said, no poo poo, ISIS is a reason to expand gun carry rights in Nebraska. Chambers' response was characteristically Chambers.

He has, if you may gather, not apologized, and in fact doubled down. There's now a ton of weird procedural slapfights going on over this, and I would just recommend the Nebraska Republicans drop it because if anyone knows the legislative arcana, it's Ernie Chambers who is probably going to try to make everyone's lives a living hell until they stop their mad crusade to get him to apologize for something he is clearly never going to apologize for (he in fact just sang in front of the Unicameral and delayed a bunch of bills in retaliation for retaliation against him).

Local politics :downs:

Man, I'm reading about this guy. And apparently he's amazing.

quote:

Chambers insisted he was simply making use of the legislative rules, and announced he would now retaliate against all his fellow lawmakers. That’s the way the game is played – according to the rules," he said, adding that he would now "punish you – all of you."

Chambers then inflicted his rendition of a full verse of the Kenny Rogers song, "The Gambler" on his fellow senators, explaining "I punish you by singing. When I’m sad I sing, then the world is sad with me. But you can’t even stop me from doing that.

That led Sen. Beau McCoy, who’s been leading the effort to force Chambers to apologize for his remarks on ISIS, to point out that Davis, too, had simply been using the legislative rules. "That is the rules. And as the old maxim goes ‘Live by the sword, die by the sword,’ also live by the rules, die by the rules,’" McCoy said.

Chambers responded that he would not apologize, although he did allow for an exception. "You’re not going to make me shut up, and you’re not going to make me apologize for anything, which is what some people on this floor think they’re going to get from me. And I’ll tell you when you can make me apologize, and you don’t even have to do it. When the Pope converts to Islam, and the College of Cardinals elect a Muslim as pope. Then I’ll apologize for everything anybody ever wanted me to apologize (for)," Chambers said.

http://netnebraska.org/article/news/967328/defeat-prairie-dog-bill-provokes-chambers-revenge

And the bill that made him go full scorched earth on? Its about prairie dogs of course.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Reminder that he said this (I have an older sister that was born with autism):

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

While true, I suppose what I was getting at is that, while the culture war will continue, Republican strength will likely successfully shift to economic (EDIT: and defense; the meme is so entrenched that Democrats will never be known as strong on the military no matter how many ISIS-held hillsides Obama or Hillary bomb) issues to stay relevant as a national party so long as public opinion on major hot-button culture war issues other than abortion keeps swinging to the left.

William Bear posted:

It's pretty sad. I looked up voter perceptions of both parties.

http://www.pollingreport.com/dvsr.htm

CBS news poll showed Republicans are viewed as better at dealing with terrorism among adults nationwide. A 51 to 28 lead in Feb.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'll never understand that perception at all. I guess it's probably driven by the media.
It's a combination of inertia, media, talking point twisting, and flat-out denial of reality. Literally killing Osama Bin Laden doesn't count because that was Seal Team Six who did it and not Obama personally going over there to shoot Bin Laden's face, the whole "act of terror" vs "terrorist attack" talking point (which lead to absolute hilarity when Romney tried it and got smacked down in the debate), the current state of Iraq being completely Obama's fault and not that Bush guy who literally invaded it in the first place, and finally one of the common talking points at CPAC was that Obama wasn't doing anything to fight against ISIL, despite the literal daily bombings of ISIL that we're doing.

I'd laugh if it wasn't so goddamn infuriating.

Shageletic posted:

Man, I'm reading about this guy. And apparently he's amazing.

http://netnebraska.org/article/news/967328/defeat-prairie-dog-bill-provokes-chambers-revenge

And the bill that made him go full scorched earth on? Its about prairie dogs of course.
This dude on the other hand is absolutely amazing, and I wholeheartedly approve of the tactics he is using.:allears:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 5, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fade5 posted:

It's a combination of inertia, media, talking point twisting, and flat-out denial of reality. Literally killing Osama Bin Laden doesn't count because that was Seal Team Six who did it and not Obama personally going over there to shoot Bin Laden's face

Gotta admit it made me chuckle a little.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Sadly, the 25th amendment prevents this. Anyone in the Presidential line of succession who's not otherwise eligible for the office gets skipped over, so he can't even get named Ag Secretary and become President by being the designated survivor during the State of the Union.

Clearly, we need to repeal the 25th like we did prohibition.

South side Chicago family get-together political chat: Despite varied and nuanced opinions on Obama, from "he's a goddamn...." to "He was just a very charismatic man without a plan" to "I liked him, he got in over his head," there is nigh universal support for Hillary

One member rememebered Cruz as "that preacher from Texas, he's really crazy."

Four wishes they voted for Perot in '92.

All made varied jokes about Monika, Bill, cigars where they shouldn't be, and how Hillary really ran things during the 90s.

Hillary '16: She's got the white, middle-class Chicago vote locked up. Except against Christie, everybody loves him.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

shrike82 posted:

If you're poor, you still get affected by time value of money on stuff like borrowing.
Stuff like this really highlights the need for financial literacy.

"Financial Literacy" is a pile of bullshit served up by the financial services industry to try and blame the victim of predatory practices which they fight to keep legal.

If you are poor the time value of money isn't even a rounding error compared to the traps set up to extract as much money as possible regardless of the amount of pain inflicted on the "customer". You spend the money you have now because if you let it sit it will soon disappear to fees and assorted bullshit that the non-poor don't even know exist. And when they choose the "nearly certain financial ruin" over "completely certain financial ruin" they get tut-tutted at by smug assholes who don't even consider the possibility that perhaps not everyone has the opportunity they have. The poor don't have the option of paying cash later or borrowing now... they can either lose all their income or accept the razor-wire "lifeline" of a Buy here Pay Here lot offering a 25% APR on an unreliable car marked up to triple what any legitimate dealer would charge. They pay 50% higher monthly rent to stay in a run down motel because they don't have three months cash to sink into a deposit (partly because they are paying too much in rent).

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wow he really is great, he is also the only African American Senator of the Nebraska Senate.

quote:

Summer 1966 riots

During a series of heat waves in the Summer of 1966, there were two disturbances in Omaha: In July, three straight nights of confrontations between black teenagers and the police escalated to the point where the Nebraska National Guardsmen were called in to restore order.[11] And in early August, another series of riots occurred over three nights. Chambers worked as a spokesperson for the community during both conflicts, meeting with Mayor A.V. Sorenson, helping to end the riots.[11] During this period, Chambers emerged as a prominent leader in the North Omaha community where he successfully negotiated concessions from the city's leaders on behalf of the African-American youths of North Omaha.[11] Chambers headed a committee of the Near North Side Police-Community Relations Council "which presented to city officials a long list of complaints against Omaha police practices."[11] Previously the African-American community was led by more established organizations like Omaha Urban League and the local chapter of the NAACP, not an emerging young anti-establishment leader like Chambers.[11]

Chambers was also working as a barber at the time, and appeared in the Oscar-nominated 1966 documentary film A Time for Burning, where he talked about race relations in Omaha.

I love reading about politicians here is my favourite since I am Louisianian.

Earl K Long , Governor of Lousiania

quote:

While confined in the mental hospital in Mandeville, Long kept his political machine running via telephone. His staff discovered that nothing in Louisiana law required him to relinquish power because he was confined to the mental hospital. Long ordered Jesse Bankston, the head of the state hospital system, fired and replaced him with a supporter, who had Long released.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

"Financial Literacy" is a pile of bullshit served up by the financial services industry to try and blame the victim of predatory practices which they fight to keep legal.

If you are poor the time value of money isn't even a rounding error compared to the traps set up to extract as much money as possible regardless of the amount of pain inflicted on the "customer". You spend the money you have now because if you let it sit it will soon disappear to fees and assorted bullshit that the non-poor don't even know exist. And when they choose the "nearly certain financial ruin" over "completely certain financial ruin" they get tut-tutted at by smug assholes who don't even consider the possibility that perhaps not everyone has the opportunity they have. The poor don't have the option of paying cash later or borrowing now... they can either lose all their income or accept the razor-wire "lifeline" of a Buy here Pay Here lot offering a 25% APR on an unreliable car marked up to triple what any legitimate dealer would charge. They pay 50% higher monthly rent to stay in a run down motel because they don't have three months cash to sink into a deposit (partly because they are paying too much in rent).

Boy, kind of like money today would be worth more to poor people than money a week from now... Huh, wonder what they call that.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
So do poor folk not have debt or am I just missing something about this whole "time value of money is a bougie affectation" shtick cos it's applicable to pretty much everyone

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's completely legal to pay someone with specific disabilities lower than the minimum wage. That's not even waiter territory, just straight up you can pay people with specific disabilities less money than the minimum wage. Then you don't allow them to save little beyond more than 1 months salary.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Hollismason posted:

It's completely legal to pay someone with specific disabilities lower than the minimum wage. That's not even waiter territory, just straight up you can pay people with specific disabilities less money than the minimum wage. Then you don't allow them to save little beyond more than 1 months salary.

Goodwill does this in a lot of their warehouses and distribution centers. And they pay their execs a poo poo ton for a non profit.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

notthegoatseguy posted:

Goodwill does this in a lot of their warehouses and distribution centers. And they pay their execs a poo poo ton for a non profit.

Doing this allows people to continue to have a job at all without removing their benefits, dude. It's a system that exists solely because people demanded hard caps on any sort of government assistance programs.

Lots of people with the disabilities want to work for whatever reason, this allows them to be able to continue to recipe things like very expensive ongoing care without having to go straight from unemployed to CEO.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Jagchosis posted:

So do poor folk not have debt or am I just missing something about this whole "time value of money is a bougie affectation" shtick cos it's applicable to pretty much everyone

Sure they do, but poor person debt doesn't work the same way as not poor person debt. Not poor person debt is generally designed to be paid off after a set amount of time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Remember when it came out that some major school district paid mentally disabled janitors like $0.10 an hour because they should be proud to have a job?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Salvation Army, is called the Salvation Army because they are structured like a military organization originally. They even have a battle cry "Blood and Fire" , and are not that great when it comes to LGBT rights because they are in fact a literal church.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Doing this allows people to continue to have a job at all without removing their benefits, dude. It's a system that exists solely because people demanded hard caps on any sort of government assistance programs.

Lots of people with the disabilities want to work for whatever reason, this allows them to be able to continue to recipe things like very expensive ongoing care without having to go straight from unemployed to CEO.

Wait are you being serious? I can't tell. I mean if you are there's some things you need to know...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hollismason posted:

Wait are you being serious? I can't tell. I mean if you are there's some things you need to know...

Yes, it's literally how the law works.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How is it decided how little they can be paid? Is it somehow based on what kind of disability they have?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

How is it decided how little they can be paid? Is it somehow based on what kind of disability they have?

http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-income-ussi.htm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's somewhere around $0.24 an hour as the bare minimum. Typically the wage is adjusted to ensure that the worker never exceeds any limits that would start impacting their SSI/SSDI/etc eligibility.

This could be fixed if we removed the ridiculous caps on what people can earn before they stop receiving neccesary benefits: essentially by introducing full UHC.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The limit for SSI is $1035ish, the way SSI works is that regardless of what you make they take that amount of your net gross, reduce it by 80 dollars, then half that and take it out of your SSI payment for the month. So you made 500 gross, you'd have 80 not so it'd be calculated at 420, then that would be halved, to 210, then that amount would be taken out of your SSI amount.

These "shops" are places that the local vocational rehabilitation sends people or they get sent to as in the long run these are basically a baby sitting company . It works out for the Vocational because they don't have to pay a caregiver a hourly wage to watch these people while their at work. It works out for companies like Goodwill because they get dirt cheap labor on low skilled job tasks.

These were designed around the idea that work would lead to a fulfilment in the workers life, IE it'd give them a purpose which would increase their mood, and overall health.

Another benefit the company get's is that they get a tax credit for these workers of 1200 dollars. So you get a tax credit of 1200 dollars, and in a years time you only pay them 200 dollars.

That's a huge racket. Each individual person gives you a 1200 dollar tax credit and you can pay them 200 dollars or less in a year.

What actually happens is these companies take advantage of the fact that you have a mixed group of workers, some who could actually be trained to do better jobs, but can't find placement, then those that cannot and that's the only job they have.

That's the whole point of these types of programs, as a fulfilment to the individual not the company. This isn't a economic program but it's turned into one. The biggest offender is Goodwill.

So no, it's not beneficial because a large majority of those workers could be trained to do other jobs that are not low skilled labor but instead they get lumped in with all the other workers who's only ability is to do those low skill jobs.

Have you ever been to a super market, and they have a person with a disability working there? Yeah, they are getting paid less than minimum wage.

These programs are prevalent through out bad vocational rehabilitation programs.

So why is that bad?

Well the entire system of SSI is kind of rotten to the core, it revolves and comes back to our discussion of saving money in low income household, because the way SSI works it requires you to SAVE through out a full month, before your next check because payments are deducted the following month.

IE; You report your income from Jan. in Feb. and that reduces your check in MARCH.

That's bad.

January you make 800 dollars, but really you didn't you made 360 dollars gross, because remember that money is coming out of your check in two months time.

So what happens?

The person on SSI doesn't count on this, so let's say they don't work as much in Feb. They only make 400 dollars all of February, well if they did not save that 360 dollars they're gonna be hurting come March 1st.

So that's one of the many flaws in the system.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 5, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's somewhere around $0.24 an hour as the bare minimum. Typically the wage is adjusted to ensure that the worker never exceeds any limits that would start impacting their SSI/SSDI/etc eligibility.

This could be fixed if we removed the ridiculous caps on what people can earn before they stop receiving neccesary benefits: essentially by introducing full UHC.

You would probably also have to institute things like housing and food for all.

Not that I'm against that in any way mind you, I think the state should collect enough taxes (especially from the rich) to make sure everyone is given food, shelter, healthcare, and an education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
SSI creates its own dependents, they're making steps to alleviate this problem but people do adjust to living on the meager money that SSI gives. I have previous personal experience with this.

• Locked thread