Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

how old is ippo now and has he kissed a girl yet
I think he's like 23-24 or something? He's been boxing for over a half a decade and was 17-18 when he started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
He hasn't kissed a girl yet and he never will.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
HnI is even more subversive than Toriko because another 1000 issues from now we'll finally find out that he's gay.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think Ippo was surprised that dude didn't see that coming actually because he basically got trained by mashiba and then walked directly into it

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Reading the chapter I thought some panels were traced from ippo fights. Then seeing his reaction to the match I imagine Ippo will be all "that's exactly how I would have fought and I always have. Holy poo poo I'm lucky to be alive/not brain dead." And then maybe learn to not be punched in the face.

But I'm an incorrigible optimist.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Is it just me or did Mashiba just use the Fish punch thing that Kimura used on him?

I thought it was more like Vorg's combos.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Sextro posted:

Reading the chapter I thought some panels were traced from ippo fights. Then seeing his reaction to the match I imagine Ippo will be all "that's exactly how I would have fought and I always have. Holy poo poo I'm lucky to be alive/not brain dead." And then maybe learn to not be punched in the face.

But I'm an incorrigible optimist.

The lesson Ippo will learn will be "ohhh I should have been getting punched in the stomach over and over before winning!"

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fabricated posted:

HnI is even more subversive than Toriko because another 1000 issues from now we'll finally find out that he's gay.

Toriko is engaged to that lady I thought. Theres nothing gay about Guy Love.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Nilbop posted:

Is it just me or between the way they're built up and the way they actually act, is this one of the least likeable main casts around?

I'm struggling to like anyone, for a whole host of reasons.

Nah, that'd be the Breaking Bad cast.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Pretty obvious Mashiba was baiting a huge body shot but I was hoping to see him counter with the elbow block. Mashiba has been hitting trees with his elbows ever since the Ippo fight, now bones just come out of his skin on command like Elbow Wolverine.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

McNerd posted:

Pretty obvious Mashiba was baiting a huge body shot but I was hoping to see him counter with the elbow block. Mashiba has been hitting trees with his elbows ever since the Ippo fight, now bones just come out of his skin on command like Elbow Wolverine.

Or, you know, Sendo could be an idiot and punch the belt. (Two new chapters.)

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...I'd love to give Morikawa the benefit of the doubt, because that might actually send Ippo down a somewhat-interesting storyline, but that's expecting way too much out of him.

Considering how one of the first things the coach taught Ippo was "STEP INTO YOUR OPPONENTS PUNCH TO REDUCE THEIR POWER", I think we're stuck with Hajime no Sandbag forever.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Frabba posted:

Considering how one of the first things the coach taught Ippo was "STEP INTO YOUR OPPONENTS PUNCH TO REDUCE THEIR POWER", I think we're stuck with Hajime no Sandbag forever.

Technically he's headbutting his fist! :eng101: Offense, offense!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1087 is out.

You'd need one of the smartest tacticians in the world to come up with "punch your opponent but don't get punched back"

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Huzzah! posted:

Chapter 1087 is out.

You'd need one of the smartest tacticians in the world to come up with "punch your opponent but don't get punched back"
What smart tactics did Martinez ever receive from his corner? Didn't he win all his fights from strong fundamentals, except that time he reverted to brawling?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

McNerd posted:

What smart tactics did Martinez ever receive from his corner? Didn't he win all his fights from strong fundamentals, except that time he reverted to brawling?

In the beginning Martinez murdered his opponents with his "Wild Style". Then he used his fundamentals and only reverted for the first time in forever for murdering Date. Honestly Martinez is so far beyond any boxer in this manga that the only way I will ever buy a championship win for someone else is if Martinez retires. Any defeat at the hands of Ippo/Miyata/Sendo would be the biggest bullshit ever (I'm fully aware Ippo has bullshit wins since the beginning of the manga e.g. his win against Kobayashi being the first "plot win" not counting his inhuman resilence against punches of course).

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

CVE posted:

In the beginning Martinez murdered his opponents with his "Wild Style". Then he used his fundamentals and only reverted for the first time in forever for murdering Date. Honestly Martinez is so far beyond any boxer in this manga that the only way I will ever buy a championship win for someone else is if Martinez retires. Any defeat at the hands of Ippo/Miyata/Sendo would be the biggest bullshit ever (I'm fully aware Ippo has bullshit wins since the beginning of the manga e.g. his win against Kobayashi being the first "plot win" not counting his inhuman resilence against punches of course).

i see what you mean with this tbh. its another reason why takamura only has those like god-tier opponents, it wouldnt be believable for him to really lose to anyone else. martinez feels the same way

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New Chapter

Sendo losing would be interesting, but that's likely not going to happen.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
As much as I like Sendo, I kind of hope he loses

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Centzon Totochtin posted:

As much as I like Sendo, I kind of hope he loses

It's kind of hard not to root for the guy who's actually using his brain in a fight.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I've always loved the crowds in this. Can you imagine Mayweather dodging a bunch of Pacquiao's punches and the crowd booing and yelling at him to stand and fight like a man?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ironsoviet posted:

I've always loved the crowds in this. Can you imagine Mayweather dodging a bunch of Pacquiao's punches and the crowd booing and yelling at him to stand and fight like a man?

You may get a chance to see that.

An infinitesimally small chance, but a chance. (I think Mayweather deliberately dodged fights until Pacquiao was on the wrong side of his prime years to give himself an advantage.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I seriously hope mayweather gets knocked out in a humiliating fashion but I doubt it'll happen.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You may get a chance to see that.

An infinitesimally small chance, but a chance. (I think Mayweather deliberately dodged fights until Pacquiao was on the wrong side of his prime years to give himself an advantage.)

Well also Pac is insanely doped up

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
I have money on Pacquiao by decision

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Nah Sendo is gonna win, especially after Mashiba's victory.

The purpose of these fights is to give Ippo a reason to continue as a boxer, part of which seems to involve these two going further than him. Sendo losing here doesn't really accomplish anything as he has lost several times before, and the fact that he was already wounded when entering the fight also taints a loss.

Captain Narwhal
Dec 4, 2002

Ironsoviet posted:

Watch any MMA and you'll see the crowd boo for anything that isn't two guys punching each other in the face

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Captain Narwhal posted:

Watch any MMA and you'll see the crowd boo for anything that isn't two guys punching each other in the face

....That's loving stupid. What the hell happened to one hit, one kill, anyhow?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's relatively rare for a match in MMA to end in one huge knockout blow without anything to sent it up. Happens a lot in One Punch Man though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They are merely exchanging long protein strings. If you can think of a simpler way, I'd like to hear it.

Captain Narwhal
Dec 4, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's not like they weren't trying... Go watch that fight, it's one of the greatest things of all time. That gif is only small portion, they do that for what feels like 2 whole rounds, beginning to end.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So chapters 1089, 1090 and 1091 are out.

Speaking as a guy who just started following this manga with the Woli arc, I've never once cheered for the protagonists. The enemy boxers always seem to have more going on internally, they always seem to think about the fights more, and the heroes are often dicks who just win because of their super-hard punches. I mean I'm trying hard to view Sendo as a likeable guy here but Nargo fits the role of the hero much more comfortably, and I say this knowing he'll get ko'd with one ridiculous punch and then never appear again.

I dunno, every fight seems to come down to the Japanese guy having one super-strong punch that he only needs to land to win to the extent that nothing else matters. It's pretty debilitating.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

What in gods name made you START with the woli arc??

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

DamnGlitch posted:

Start with the worst. Rip the bandaid off. After that it can only get better

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Nilbop posted:

I dunno, every fight seems to come down to the Japanese guy having one super-strong punch that he only needs to land to win to the extent that nothing else matters. It's pretty debilitating.

its a terrible manga with awful art written by a demented racist. most of us only read it because of stockholm syndrome

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I read because of Takamura antics

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

DamnGlitch posted:

Sheer kismet?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I read because of occasional dick jokes

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How the gently caress can you have two issues with 18 plus pages and the last issue only be 12 goddamn pages???? The art illustrating squints getting mauled is pretty badass. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Simoom posted:

its a terrible manga with awful art written by a demented racist. most of us only read it because of stockholm syndrome

Demented racist what? Mind showing some examples of that.

I like the art, story is lovely at this point and should've ended or been canned by now. The worst is actually the pacing, it's so easy to condense these chapters because of how little is going on in each panel.