Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

spaceships posted:

that book looks like a piece of poo poo

really tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It looks like a really bad metal cover

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's part of a movement to make book covers look as terrible as possible so that we loop back around to great covers sooner.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Book covers should just be the title in gold print.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's part of a movement to make book covers look as terrible as possible so that we loop back around to great covers sooner.

Accelerationism jokes are the best jokes

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

make this the background image of this forum

just the ghost making GBS threads the ground beef part tho

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Oh I thought it was a terminator

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

FishBulb posted:

Oh I thought it was a terminator

well duh, the terminator died. it's a terminator ghost.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

zVxTeflon posted:

just the ghost making GBS threads the ground beef part tho

truly the most literal imagery of dickeyes posting

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I don't care for Banshee. At least I have Strike Back.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Speed Racer is a good accelerationist film as are some of the Fast and/or Furious films.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

James Woods Fan posted:

I don't care for Banshee. At least I have Strike Back.

How much did you watch? I'd say it doesn't really come into its groove until episode 3 (Hood vs. the MMA fighter), if you watched that far and still didn't dig it feel free to drop it but at least give it that much.

e: uh, Beyond Skyline is a thing, Frank Grillo and Iko Uwais (y'know, Rama from The Raid) are starring in it, the plot summary on IMDB boils down to "Grillo beats the gently caress out of lots of aliens," and Uwais is doing the action choreography. :stare: Is this gonna be another Purge: Anarchy/The Collection? Is mediocre genre movies getting low-key loving awesome action sequels a thing now?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 6, 2015

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I was on the second episode. I guess I'll stick around for one more.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i got worse news: Tom Towles aka Otis from Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer died.

I decided to finally watch Henry because of this. drat, that's a digusting movie. Really good, though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I decided to finally watch Henry because of this. drat, that's a digusting movie. Really good, though.

and Otis is the most disgusting character. it takes balls to play the guy that even the other repulsive serial killer is repulsed by. i wouldn't be surprised if Towles got a lot of people crossing the streets to avoid him after that.

i'm rewatching it now too. that videotape scene hasn't lost any of its power. nor has anything in the movie, really.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

and Otis is the most disgusting character. it takes balls to play the guy that even the other repulsive serial killer is repulsed by. i wouldn't be surprised if Towles got a lot of people crossing the streets to avoid him after that.

i'm rewatching it now too. that videotape scene hasn't lost any of its power. nor has anything in the movie, really.

I realized just how great the movie was when I was cheering for Henry to murder him when Otis was raping his sister. It's such a vile, gross movie, but it's really good at what it does.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I realized just how great the movie was when I was cheering for Henry to murder him when Otis was raping his sister. It's such a vile, gross movie, but it's really good at what it does.

another thing i noticed this watch is that this movie has exactly the right amount of & tone to its social commentary. it's the most honest movie about serial killers, but it's also about the slow death of the Reagan years.

"gently caress the Bears."

edit: now that i'm typing that out i'm remembering that it's not at all a thought i came up with on my own but that it's covered extensively in that book Subversive Horror Cinema i'm always mentioning where he does a compare-and-contrast chapter of Henry and American Psycho. great read, highly recommended.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 6, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
John Carter is on TNT and it is so good guys. Defoe as Tars Tarkas (VIRGINIA!), the doggie, Lily Collins :swoon:, it should have done better but it's great that it even got made.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

John Carter is on TNT and it is so good guys. Defoe as Tars Tarkas (VIRGINIA!), the doggie, Lily Collins :swoon:, it should have done better but it's great that it even got made.

seconded.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They shoulda called it something else.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

They shoulda called it something else.

seconded.

it bums me out to think of what that movie did to Andrew Stanton's career. they'll never let him direct a live action movie again.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I really don't understand the Hollywood logic of naming your film something bland (something...awful?) instead of something more interesting and distinctive. Doesn't all available evidence point towards that hurting the movie's box office results?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Slate Action posted:

I really don't understand the Hollywood logic of naming your film something bland (something...awful?) instead of something more interesting and distinctive. Doesn't all available evidence point towards that hurting the movie's box office results?

Well, I can see how Tangled and Frozen and Wicked could lead people to believe otherwise.

Princess of Mars would have been a fine title, though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of many books on it:

What is this, thrash vaporwave?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a fun movie, but I kind of wish they had gone further with it being a period piece and also not stunk it up with all the sequel hooks. Lilly Collins has the best eyebrows in film this side of Helena Bonham Carter.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Slate Action posted:

It's Hollywood voodoo logic. "Princess of Mars" sounds like a movie for girls, and movies with Mars in the title haven't done well since ???, so "John Carter" it is.

Of course it bombs too so movies where Mars is even INVOLVED won't get greenlit, so stupid logic keeps movies from getting made.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It was Lynn Collins in John Carter.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love how everyone's just kind of ignoring that Beyond Skyline is gonna be The Raid 3: IN SPAAAAACE in favor of debating accelerationism in the movie forum

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Had the opportunity to watch a lot of TV while in the hospital. TV is reaaaal bad, man. I did kinda like the Rifleman, a late 50s program about a cowboy that solves mysteries. Other than that, what a fuckin wasteland (pretty basic cable package, mind) and the practice of booking 6+ hour blocks of a single show is the worst.

Back in my highschool broadcasting class, our teacher showed us the episode where this swarthy Spanish guy shows up in, like, Matador gear. Everyone hates him, and he gets blamed for some crime, and then the Rifleman shows that not only is he innocent, but he's a human being and decent person, and gosh doesn't everyone feel bad about their prejudices now. Our discussion was about how they could have never gotten away with the story if it was just a black guy, so they had to use this Spanish analogue.

The Rifleman owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeySEOXUcI

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Ain't no debate in here.

That said, I haven't seen original flavor Skyline but if the sequel really works out like that I'll be there opening day.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Even SMG (and Prof Clumsy I believe) stumping hard for Skyline couldn't make me watch it.

That being said, Frank Grillo is my boy and I love the Raid movies.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I love how everyone's just kind of ignoring that Beyond Skyline is gonna be The Raid 3: IN SPAAAAACE in favor of debating accelerationism in the movie forum

Holy poo poo, there's a sequel to Skyline? I hope it's as batshit as the first movie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My personal YTOTD is a song I discovered thanks to RLM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVZzXgMdXs

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can finally say I've seen all of The Wire. Where do I get my "I've watched The Wire" card that I can smugly shove in the faces if those plebes that haven't watched it?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

axleblaze posted:

I can finally say I've seen all of The Wire. Where do I get my "I've watched The Wire" card that I can smugly shove in the faces if those plebes that haven't watched it?

Probably somewhere back in 2010.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LesterGroans posted:

Probably somewhere back in 2010.

Well played

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

wyoming posted:

Back in my highschool broadcasting class, our teacher showed us the episode where this swarthy Spanish guy shows up in, like, Matador gear. Everyone hates him, and he gets blamed for some crime, and then the Rifleman shows that not only is he innocent, but he's a human being and decent person, and gosh doesn't everyone feel bad about their prejudices now. Our discussion was about how they could have never gotten away with the story if it was just a black guy, so they had to use this Spanish analogue.

The Rifleman owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeySEOXUcI

Haha, I think we may have seen the same episode, though it was an Irish hustler, and the deal was that he had actually killed the guy whose crimes they were pinning on him, but was keeping it secret so nobody would collect the bounty before he'd be able to. There was another episode about the spirit of the samurai and one where a dandy cowboy enacts land redistribution and persecutes unlawful wage differentials.

Concur on upgrading The Rifleman to ownage status.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LesterGroans posted:

Even SMG (and Prof Clumsy I believe) stumping hard for Skyline couldn't make me watch it.

Skyline is like an Asylum/SyFy original movie that actually delivers the goods.

Some people can't tell the difference, and dismiss it as just like Sharknado or something. They should be ignored.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yeah Skyline is a really awesome film about Hollywood and special effects stealing brains and corrupting artists. I'm not super excited about the sequel seeing as the Brothers Strause aren't directing this one. Hope those dudes can make another movie at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo, there's a sequel to Skyline? I hope it's as batshit as the first movie.

The plot summary is "Taken except with Frank Grillo instead of Liam Neeson and an alien warship instead of Eastern Europe," Iko Uwais from The Raid is co-starring and doing the action choreography, the aliens are mostly practical effects, and it's a hard R. My dick could not possibly be any more erect from hearing about this movie.

• Locked thread