Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

DStecks posted:

Any discussion of Trailer Park Boys?
Or Rescue Me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheMaestroso posted:

Well, I'm subscribed now. As a commenter pointed out, it's a real injustice that these two haven't done a BOTW with RLM yet. They aren't exactly far away.

They liked Boyhood. It can never be.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mr. Fowl posted:

They liked Boyhood. It can never be.

I'm pretty sure that Mike and Jay would have them on the show and make Boyhood jokes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

Welcome to the Basement reviews... 3.2.3.4.4.2.3. AND

I like their videos a lot, I recommend watching them all. Their film analysis is pretty great and the chemistry between the two is fabulous.

Just because I don't think I've seen these dudes brought up in this thread, Matt Sloan also does Beer and Boardgames with assorted friends and it's a great 'what is this stupid boardgame, let's get drunk and play it' show. They put all their stuff for free on youtube in basically a highlight reel but if you pay a decent donation you get access to the whole usually 3ish hour long episode of the entire playthrough.

Pirate Jenny
Mar 28, 2006

Sie wissen nicht, mit wem Sie reden.

Gyges posted:

Actually, does Patreon count as gift money or some sort of contract payment?

um... no. No it most definitely counts as income.

That said, he didn't start his Patreon until after the new year, so he won't owe on it quite yet. Which makes me wonder how exactly the Escapist paid him...

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Hey, guess what happened on Gamegrumps? Arin actually beat a video game! Guess which game it was?

Ninja Gaiden.

That's right, Ninja Gaiden. No, I am not bullshitting you. Arin Hanson of all people actually beat Ninja Gaiden.

Don't believe me? See for yourself.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Welcome to the Basement reviews... 3.2.3.4.4.2.3. AND

I like their videos a lot, I recommend watching them all. Their film analysis is pretty great and the chemistry between the two is fabulous.

I was thinking these guys looked familiar and then I realised they made Chad Vader years and years ago.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Hey, guess what happened on Gamegrumps? Arin actually beat a video game!
Arin's beaten plenty of games on grumps.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Arin's beaten plenty of games on grumps.

Yeah, but he usually ends up giving up on the harder games. Ninja gaiden is one of the hardest nes games ever made, and the penalty for losing against the final boss is the kind of ridiculous poo poo that should have made Arin give up, but he didn't. I don't think the Angry Video Game Nerd ever beat Ninja Gaiden, to give you an example. I dunno, when I started this playthrough I just assumed he would give up part way through, and I was surprised that he actually managed to beat it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Just because I don't think I've seen these dudes brought up in this thread, Matt Sloan also does Beer and Boardgames with assorted friends and it's a great 'what is this stupid boardgame, let's get drunk and play it' show. They put all their stuff for free on youtube in basically a highlight reel but if you pay a decent donation you get access to the whole usually 3ish hour long episode of the entire playthrough.

Isn't Matt Sloan the guy who did those Chad Vader videos and then someone at Lucasarts thought his voice was good enough to actually BE Darth Vader?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

admataY posted:

To wash over the awful game politics discussion of the last few page, here is a fun breezy look at the call of duty series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvN51r1o1Nc

Thank you so much for posting this, I'm always looking for more smart people talking long form about video games and this is right up my alley.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Asuron posted:

I was thinking these guys looked familiar and then I realised they made Chad Vader years and years ago.
One of them sounds like Henchman 21

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't Matt Sloan the guy who did those Chad Vader videos and then someone at Lucasarts thought his voice was good enough to actually BE Darth Vader?

Yes, he is. I think he mentioned meeting George Lucas.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey. You know that one guy that reviews transformer toys with an obscenely charming british accent? You know that one series where he reviews the really bad knock-offs of said toys that hasn't seen a new episode in years?

Here's the new episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKv5E1cl3CU

I started watching his stuff because of the last Knockoff Beatdown, so I've been looking forward to this one.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I actually owned that Splinter one when I was a kid! ...what the hell is that thing doing being sold in 2015?

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 6, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr. Fowl posted:

Yes, he is. I think he mentioned meeting George Lucas.

I thought I recognized the name. Matt Sloan did the voice of Darth Vader in the Force Unleashed games. Unfortunately while he's good at parodying james earl jones he's pretty terrible at emulating him in a serious situation. It was part of the reason I disliked force unleashed, because I kept expecting vader to start chasing dogs through the shopping aisles.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought I recognized the name. Matt Sloan did the voice of Darth Vader in the Force Unleashed games. Unfortunately while he's good at parodying james earl jones he's pretty terrible at emulating him in a serious situation. It was part of the reason I disliked force unleashed, because I kept expecting vader to start chasing dogs through the shopping aisles.

But Sam Witwer did an amazing Emperor Palpatine.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I think one of the things I really like about Mike J is the lack of an opening theme song. Also at just over ten minutes a pop, his videos are the perfect length. He doesn't really do the over the top screaming stuff either.

Though I actually don't mind Film Brain either; he's also one who isn't shy about saying when a scene works or if something is good about it.

Just starting to get into SF Debris, and I'm liking his style too.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I know people aren't always fond of Film Brain, but I think he's a genuinely good person (he's always been absolutely lovely on Twitter) who always puts in a lot of work into his reviews and opinions, and whenever he releases a video you know it's going to be really thorough. I rate him.

DStecks posted:

Any discussion of Trailer Park Boys?

Ricky? Hmm, I only watched a few episodes of that show - when I was in Canada, prompted by the fact that I was at an artist's residency with the guy who played Jacob Collins. It's not really my thing so I wasn't particularly interested in watching the entire back catalogue. For some reason, TPB makes me feel depressed.

TBH usually when I say "I'm discussing this subject!" it means I'm discussing it in reference to a couple of pieces of media, much like how Rantasmo does videos like "Chasing Amy and bisexual erasure" where he discusses bisexual erasure as a general concept, and more specifically how it relates to Chasing Amy. Good suggestion though.

Oh, I've never heard of that! I always like to hear about other characters I haven't thought of - but no, my video won't be mentioning either of those things. It'll hopefully be out by the end of the week.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Randy and Lahey are both explicitly bisexual, and Sam Losco is stated to be as of Season 8. Of course, the show's portrayal of the characters' sexuality is off-beat enough that the show probably wouldn't be useful for illustrating any points about broad media trends,

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Yeah, but he usually ends up giving up on the harder games. Ninja gaiden is one of the hardest nes games ever made, and the penalty for losing against the final boss is the kind of ridiculous poo poo that should have made Arin give up, but he didn't. I don't think the Angry Video Game Nerd ever beat Ninja Gaiden, to give you an example. I dunno, when I started this playthrough I just assumed he would give up part way through, and I was surprised that he actually managed to beat it.

I don't watch the show much anymore (between Arin, Jon and Danny there's about half of a good host) but I honestly have to wonder if Erin has some mental disorder. Really basic poo poo passes him by in easy sections of many games and he gets stuck on the simplest stuff that makes you want to yell at the screen and yet...he beat Ninja Gaiden.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35T9I7lSD_g

Aww, it was staged. That's a bit boring. But the audio track :stare:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
ERod the Blockbuster Buster did another tribute to voice over actors.There's something that's bugging me. Before introducing the actors there's a bit of music that plays and I know I heard it from somewhere, but I cannot remember where it's from. Does anyone know?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yep he's done toasts and poo poo in Vader's voice and when they did the Star Wars lovely VHS game since they couldn't use the audio for youtube flagging problems he completely dubbed over Vader.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yea the impression is great but it's best when he's doing insults/jokes rather than actually in menacing situations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AplsFw70ww
Paw doing a livestream with his son :3:

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

I don't really follow Paw, but that baby :kimchi:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Equeen posted:

I don't really follow Paw, but that baby :kimchi:

Same, the kid's shaping up to be a healthy lil' guy. :3:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yep he's done toasts and poo poo in Vader's voice and when they did the Star Wars lovely VHS game since they couldn't use the audio for youtube flagging problems he completely dubbed over Vader.

Yea the impression is great but it's best when he's doing insults/jokes rather than actually in menacing situations.

The best Vader impersonator I've heard is still Scott Lawrence, the dude who did his voice for Battlefront 2, Dark Forces and Tie Fighter.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Infamous Sphere posted:

I know people aren't always fond of Film Brain, but I think he's a genuinely good person (he's always been absolutely lovely on Twitter) who always puts in a lot of work into his reviews and opinions, and whenever he releases a video you know it's going to be really thorough. I rate him.

Film Brain is great. I played on a pub quiz team with him once at MAGFest! Twas a good time.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I find Film Brain a lot more tolerable in his solo stuff, because you gradually acclimatize to his mannerisms; and in the crossovers you can't do that because he's always swapping the mic with somebody who talks like a normal loving perrrsoonnnnnnnn

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I'm not even bothered by the way he talks, it's fine. Also, while he might have a..distinctive speech pattern, sometimes he's criticised for the dumbest reasons. If you're stupid enough to read the comments on tgwtg, there's people there that tell him that they can't stand his (perfectly normal Southern English) accent, and tell him to do his videos in Microsoft Sam or fake an American accent instead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really miss Welshy. Did anyone manage to save his videos before Blip purged his channel for being inactive?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Ladies and gentlemen of the thread, may I present to you my main problem with Patreon pledges: Idiot nerds with too much money.

Linkara reviews Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

I love the thinking behind it. "Hay, Comic Book Guy who has said that he really doesn't do video games that much. Review this lovely, cult video game that only barely works because a bunch of fanboys covered it in coding duct tape and is really long and mostly talking and fetch quests and really unfunny. Oh, and has poo poo-all to do with comic books. No I won't watch that LP by by LittleKuribo."

Ugh.

He does as good a job as he could, I guess. Bottles it when talking about the sexist content IMHO, and does a decent job of pimping out some of the other CA producers. Someone might watch that Count Chocula guy now.

Also bonus appearance of Paw, Maven and Baby Grey.

tl;do i'm a grouch today.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

KayTee posted:

I love the thinking behind it. "Hay, Comic Book Guy who has said that he really doesn't do video games that much. Review this lovely, cult video game that only barely works because a bunch of fanboys covered it in coding duct tape and is really long and mostly talking and fetch quests and really unfunny. Oh, and has poo poo-all to do with comic books. No I won't watch that LP by by LittleKuribo."

:eyepop:

But yeah, having Linkara out of all people review Bloodlines makes absolutely no sense.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, reminds me of SFDebris struggle with that forgettable Yuri anime.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

AWWW THE BABY

IT WON'T STOP SMILING :kimchi:

edit: But yeah, this is probably why you shouldn't do commissions via Patreon. I have no issue with commissions at all, but there should really be a negotiation process for times like this where the commissioned review would be 1) a hell of a lot of work, 2) not likely to produce solid content, and 3) completely out of the reviewer's wheelhouse. Doing it via Patreon allows the payment to go right through, with, AFAIK, no way to refund money, meaning that the reviewer is kind of screwed. PayPal would seem like the ideal system for a transaction like this.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 7, 2015

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm actually rather liking Linkara's review, if he just ditched talking about the game mechanics/history and focused on the totally loving ridiculous storyline it'd have been great all the way through.

gently caress that haunted house.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Considering the timing of the episode, I think it was going to be a sort of April 1st video, but it got pushed back and looks ridiculous now.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

e X posted:

Yeah, reminds me of SFDebris struggle with that forgettable Yuri anime.

If you're talking about Kannazuki no Miko it's going to evolve from forgettable to reprehensible in the next episode he covers.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

KayTee posted:

Ladies and gentlemen of the thread, may I present to you my main problem with Patreon pledges: Idiot nerds with too much money.

Linkara reviews Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Ugh.

He does as good a job as he could, I guess. Bottles it when talking about the sexist content IMHO, and does a decent job of pimping out some of the other CA producers. Someone might watch that Count Chocula guy now.

Also bonus appearance of Paw, Maven and Baby Grey.

tl;do i'm a grouch today.

Baby Grey is the most adorable child of darkness ever.

Also, didn't realise Jackula had been picked up. I guess CA was too busy making sure people got their 47k worth of gameshow to actually promote anyone.

Vampires are a sexist concept to begin with, so I'm okay with not hearing about it from a dude, but every woman having cleavage doesn't seem like the fun kind of sexist vampire fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
New Baywatching: Point of Attack! Eddie inspires a troubled youth to be as least like him as possible.
http://phelous.com/2015/04/07/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-point-of-attack/

• Locked thread