Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

TheModernAmerican posted:

I get the thematic point of having to turn from sin to reach God, but it all falls apart because the Angel pool is so incredibly bad. Imagine if Heaven was just like Detroit or something.

Angel Rooms do become super awesome if you unlock the keys and reroll them. Turning a Holy Water and Key Part into Sacred Heart and Godhead :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I guess not having to give up health for the items is supposed to balance it, but hey, you get what you paid for.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Codiekitty posted:

I guess not having to give up health for the items is supposed to balance it, but hey, you get what you paid for.

Red hearts are bad.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

They're worse than soul hearts, but that doesn't mean you should give them up for Brother Bobby or whatever. It's kinda lame how most of the cool stuff you can get in angel rooms also spawn in treasure or boss rooms. I also wish it weren't so hard to make them spawn because sometimes I want to fight Mega Satan and can't because the games decides I'm not allowed this run.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why are soul hearts better than red hearts? Red hearts get dropped more often and can be used as currency.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Taking red heart damage drastically lowers your chances of entering a Devil or Angel room unless you have Goat Head or Book of Belial. It doesn't do that if you take soul or black heart damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That plus soul heart generators are also way better and more common than the red counterparts. Plus, the Whore of Babylon is useless with too much red health; I can't think of any item that is rendered moot by having soul hearts. Red hearts are best used for currency.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
It really doesn't help that Soul Hearts are much easier to find in Rebirth than in Flash Isaac, despite the Book of Revelations being made rarer. I wonder if the expansion will do anything to make red hearts more viable.

I also hope that Magdalene gets turned into a more fun character. She's really boring to play as, and both her and Lazarus don't have much going for them right now.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

Why are soul hearts better than red hearts? Red hearts get dropped more often and can be used as currency.

The Polaroid and to a lesser extent, Whore of Babylon. Maintaining a 1/2 red heart status is doable but really annoying sometimes.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I also hope that Magdalene gets turned into a more fun character. She's really boring to play as, and both her and Lazarus don't have much going for them right now.

Yeah, aside from completing their post-its and my attempts to streak all 10 characters, I never play these two. All the other characters have something going for them, but being slow and having -1 luck are both really unfun.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 6, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

PostNouveau posted:

Blue hearts protect your red HP from damage, thus ensuring devil deals, and then the red HP underneath is used for the devil deals themselves. But trading away all your red HP is usually fine because then you can use blue HP for devil deals instead.
Minus the polaroid it's more accurate to say that HP upgrades and blue hearts become more and more equal in value the closer you get to the end of the game, since heart containers are only better since you can refill them with heart drops, but the closer you get to the end of a game the less red heart drops are remaining to refill your heart containers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maggy's extra health gives her the ability to do easy devil deals so I appreciate playing as her. Lazarus I never really touch though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

My problem with Maggy is her speed.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
My problem with Maggy is she isn't Judas or Eve.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Manatee Cannon posted:

They're worse than soul hearts, but that doesn't mean you should give them up for Brother Bobby or whatever. It's kinda lame how most of the cool stuff you can get in angel rooms also spawn in treasure or boss rooms. I also wish it weren't so hard to make them spawn because sometimes I want to fight Mega Satan and can't because the games decides I'm not allowed this run.

You could do what I do when I want to fight Mega Satan, which is do whatever the gently caress I want most of the game and use cheat engine to give me dad's key after I'm done with the chest.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

I'm trying to record Rebirth with Open Broadcaster Software and I'm having just awful luck. I've tried with windowed capture, monitor capture, and game capture. The only success I've had is with monitor capture with the game in windowed mode, but it looks awful and I don't really want to record my entire desktop. I've looked around online but can't find a single good solution out there. Anyone here do any streaming/recording who can help me out with how to do it?

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

Time_pants posted:

I'm trying to record Rebirth with Open Broadcaster Software and I'm having just awful luck. I've tried with windowed capture, monitor capture, and game capture. The only success I've had is with monitor capture with the game in windowed mode, but it looks awful and I don't really want to record my entire desktop. I've looked around online but can't find a single good solution out there. Anyone here do any streaming/recording who can help me out with how to do it?
I stream this game all the time. I use "window capture" with the game in windowed mode and I've never had any problems with it

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Hyphen-ated posted:

I stream this game all the time. I use "window capture" with the game in windowed mode and I've never had any problems with it

What settings do you use?

0haiThere
Feb 18, 2015

Looks like you're in the barrel today.
I always saw Maggie as a starter character for those who needed a bit more health to get used to the game.

I do think the other characters need to be a bit more interesting however; the only ones I ever play now are Judas, Eden and Isaac.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PostNouveau posted:

If you need red health, you're getting hit too often. It's a cushion for bad or lazy play.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I'm really adverse to flushing away all my red heart containers, personally. I roll with as few as possible because oh geez what if I come across a blood bank or demon beggar??? Usually two containers is as low as I go.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I wish to deliver the following status report:

gently caress The Lost.

Report ends.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The problem with Red Hearts is they offer no real advantage beyond "cost 1 for a devil deal instead of 3" and that they can be replenished slightly easier. Meanwhile they have a ton of disadvantages. (Harder to get into challenge rooms, Whore of Babylon isn't active, lessens your chance of getting a Devil/Angel room) and generally are not worth having over a soul/sin heart in any situation but "there is Devil Room right there"

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The problem with Red Hearts is they offer no real advantage beyond "cost 1 for a devil deal instead of 3" and that they can be replenished slightly easier. Meanwhile they have a ton of disadvantages. (Harder to get into challenge rooms, Whore of Babylon isn't active, lessens your chance of getting a Devil/Angel room) and generally are not worth having over a soul/sin heart in any situation but "there is Devil Room right there"

Agreed, but containers aren't required to be full until you need them to be for their required gambles and soul/sin hearts can be used to split the difference for full health challenge rooms. It's pretty simple to skip over dropped red hearts, and avoid items that passively recover them.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
drat, what a run. Death's Touch from Basement II treasure room, Devil room gave me Guppy's Collar + Sacrificial Knife + Abaddon. Assorted curse room items have included Goat's Head, The Mark and Pact. And I'm only up to Necropolis 1.

Oh, also carrying Blank Card + Perthro. :smug:

J0LG E96A for anyone who's interested. Cain, Hard mode.

Fedule posted:

I wish to deliver the following status report:

gently caress The Lost.

Report ends.

Dude, The Lost is a lot of fun. Just restart the game 3000 times to score Dead Cat + Holy Mantle from Basement and you're guaranteed to have a blast!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Skaw posted:

Agreed, but containers aren't required to be full until you need them to be for their required gambles and soul/sin hearts can be used to split the difference for full health challenge rooms. It's pretty simple to skip over dropped red hearts, and avoid items that passively recover them.

But then you just have currency and no health to show for it. Its better for devil deals, but worse for practically anything else.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Red hearts are pretty drat cool at keeping you alive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wugga posted:

Dude, The Lost is a lot of fun. Just restart the game 3000 times to score Dead Cat + Holy Mantle from Basement and you're guaranteed to have a blast!

I really feel like starting The Lost with either Dead Cat or Holy Mantle would do a lot to take it from "completely lovely' to "kind of fun."

It would still be challenging but it would feel like an actual viable gimmick instead of "reroll until you get a non-poo poo build."

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

The Bee posted:

But then you just have currency and no health to show for it. Its better for devil deals, but worse for practically anything else.

Yeah totally worse for blood banks and demon beggars, the former of which sets up prime d20 abuse.. I see your point.

Snark aside, if all 12 hearts honestly need to be completely full at all times, maybe the run isn't going so hot. :shrug:

Nevermind that I never advertised hanging on to all red heart containers, just not getting rid of all of them. So I'm not seeing this currency but no health issue. If 9 or 10 soul hearts honestly aren't enough, the game is going super bad and the extras likely aren't going to help.

Meanwhile you can make use of something that would be otherwise useless by turning it in to extra floor items for rerolls, money for shops/beggars, and possibly straight up items from demon beggars.

I just don't find it worth trashing a potentially great resource.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 6, 2015

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've discovered so many new and magnificent ways the game can utterly gently caress you since I started running The Lost.
  • Zombie Mullibooms!
  • Telepills taking you to a curse room!
  • 90% of the item pool is useless!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

And that's just the basement!

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Time_pants posted:

If you're on Windows 8 you're going to need to run OBS as an admin.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Finally got a Super Bandage Girl. Sharp Plug to the chest, rerolled the starting 4 until I got a wafer, got a yum heart in a different room so I could heal the sharp plug damage indefinitely, then it was a matter of rolling the three remaining items until I got a Manuel and then taking it to the room with the Yum Heart. Now all that's left to do to hit 100% is to find the bandage. :unsmith:

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
I got both my bandage and meat friends by using Cain to reset until I spawned next to a library with book of revelations inside.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Xeras posted:

If you're on Windows 8 you're going to need to run OBS as an admin.

I am on Win8. I'll give it a try when I get home from work today.

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
I decided to play an Isaac run as a nice break from trying for boss rush as the Lost.

First room holy mantle.

I'm taking a break for a while.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

Grass Effect posted:

I got both my bandage and meat friends by using Cain to reset until I spawned next to a library with book of revelations inside.

I got Super Meat Boy by restarting the game til I got the Book of Revelations, and restarting as soon as Conquest hosed me. I gave up attempting an infinite reroll combo, cause I was getting poo poo items. Bandage girl was earned naturally during my third run through of the game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I really feel like starting The Lost with either Dead Cat or Holy Mantle would do a lot to take it from "completely lovely' to "kind of fun."

It would still be challenging but it would feel like an actual viable gimmick instead of "reroll until you get a non-poo poo build."

I kinda wish that The Lost and Azazel were combined into one character.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'unno, I think the best way to "fix" the Lost has already been brought up in this thread; remove from the pool all items that are useless to him.

It's, like, okay, you want access to a pool of power items? Well okay, but this is the price you pay - you gotta play as the Lost, and you can't ever get more defensive.

Hell, it wouldn't even change how people play him, only how often those people reset the game on the first goddamn floor.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Fast-browsed through the last few pages, didn't see Edmund's new post on Afterbirth. Most of this stuff was revealed prior to the post, but:

Edmund posted:

-100+ new items
-a new playable character (Lilith)
-a whole new alt path and game ending
-a whole new game mode that will greatly expand the game by 100+ more hours
-new alt floors
-tons new enemies and bosses
-a lot of new super secrets
-10 new challenges
-a butt ton of new achievements
-6+ new music tracks
-more poop!

The friend ball also looks pretty neat:

Can't wait to capture a Mulliboom and release it on an unsuspecting Greed head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

-a new playable character (Lilith)
-a whole new alt path and game ending

I am going to have to beat the game 24 more times to get back to 100% completion and I could not be happier. :getin: