Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the HP 11c suits my day to day engineering needs

if i ever do complicated things i use mathcad, if it's too complicated for that i ask my projects software engineer to do it in matlab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

mod sassinator posted:

hopefully microsoft's finance team isn't using the metro calc... maybe that's why all their estimates of win 8 sales are pie in the sky insanity
p sure they just do all their calculations in excel like most finance people i know

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

longview posted:

if i ever do complicated things i use mathcad, if it's too complicated for that i ask my projects software engineer to do it in matlab

lol but that pleb isn't a real engineer am I rite

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

internaut posted:

today's new low: the calculator that comes with windows 10 doesnt do order of operations correctly. and yes, it is a modern app that can't be resized below a certain giant size. hey, at least they fixed it from windows 8, which had two calculators.

but wait, microsoft cleverly predicted there may be certain edge case advanced users who need to be able to do math! if you change the type of the calculator to be scientific:

So the problem is that in the first screenshot there are missing parentheses?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

longview posted:

are there still people using non RPN calculators in 2015?

i literally have to stop and think about what im doing for a few seconds every time i use the windowsany other calculator

there's a reason I still have my 23-year-old HP-48SX sitting on my desk at work

though PCalc is pretty pro, and what I use everywhere else, it's just not quite the same as those clicky HP buttons

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

eschaton posted:

though PCalc is pretty pro, and what I use everywhere else, it's just not quite the same as those clicky HP buttons

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

I have a 48SX and a 48GX sitting on my desk. and the infrared thermal printer.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

SupSuper posted:

it's always been like that

yeah standard calc when in scientific does the same thing, this is not new to the modern app

but gently caress it's so amazing how badly metro apps scale in windows sizes when they were supposedly designed from the outset to be resolution independent, gently caress if I resize the window to a small size (in this case, one that makes sense for a calculator) then why not just start shrinking the elements

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

longview posted:

11c for lyfw krew

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

yeah standard calc when in scientific does the same thing, this is not new to the modern app

but gently caress it's so amazing how badly metro apps scale in windows sizes when they were supposedly designed from the outset to be resolution independent, gently caress if I resize the window to a small size (in this case, one that makes sense for a calculator) then why not just start shrinking the elements

the buttons need to be large enough to mash with your fingers

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
shaggar is right about the calculator

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

stopped clock etc

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

eschaton posted:

PCalc is good, but RealCalc is literally the only Android app that i miss, it's extremely close to PCalc but slightly better in use

i have a HP 50g at home, it's not a bad calculator but if i ever want to do something complicated enough to require it i'll probably want to put the calculation and a graph or two in a document so doing it in something like mathcad or even excel makes more sense

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
someone said something about a calculator

quick lets all post what 25 year old piece of poo poo calculators we use

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i have a ti83 plus silver sitting in my drawer at work

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my mahogany abacus

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

i have a ti83 plus silver sitting in my drawer at work

you and practically every other high school graduate. thanks for your contribution to calculator chat

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pram posted:

my mahogany abacus

umm excuse me we are talking about ELECTRONIC CALCULATORS get out of here grandpa!!

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

internaut posted:

today's new low: the calculator that comes with windows 10 doesnt do order of operations correctly. and yes, it is a modern app that can't be resized below a certain giant size. hey, at least they fixed it from windows 8, which had two calculators.

but wait, microsoft cleverly predicted there may be certain edge case advanced users who need to be able to do math! if you change the type of the calculator to be scientific:

this looks bad, but the first one processes input as you enter it. so "1 + 1" is immediately evaluated, then multiplied by two.

the second one lets you enter the entire sequence before evaluating.

this is still really bad, the different behaviors really need to be differentiated

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i just did the same calculation on an iphone calculator and it came back with the same result as the non-scientific ms calculator, just fyi

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thanks for Doing Labor stymie but we already know

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

thanks for Doing Labor stymie but we already know

no i don't think you do, in any context

pram
Jun 10, 2001
u need yr diaper changed lil baby stymie

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Beeftweeter posted:

umm excuse me we are talking about ELECTRONIC CALCULATORS get out of here grandpa!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Stymie posted:

i just did the same calculation on an iphone calculator and it came back with the same result as the non-scientific ms calculator, just fyi

no it doesn't

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Beeftweeter posted:

no it doesn't

confirmed

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

now this is a thread

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

pram
Jun 10, 2001
good poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

god dammit sniep

pram
Jun 10, 2001
u really snatched fail from the hands of epic win w/ that one

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i dont think it was anywhere near epic win

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

u need yr diaper changed lil baby stymie

yep you mad

pram
Jun 10, 2001
r u gonna cry

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

pram posted:

r u gonna cry

he said, tears streaming down his face

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
lol

ok

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
good poo poo itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
who does maths like that without parentheses anyway.

idiots, that's who

• Locked thread