Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
John Oliver and the team at last week tonight are loving heroes as far as I'm concerned. The man has some balls and I also appreciate that HBO has this show on the air. Like no one else would have done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Now hopefully this will go viral and something will happen. I know it's unlikely even with a fantastic video like that, but here's hoping.

Edit: Like really, they should have had a hashtag to go with this. Something like #notmydickpic

Shadoer fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 6, 2015

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

John Oliver and the team at last week tonight are loving heroes as far as I'm concerned. The man has some balls and I also appreciate that HBO has this show on the air. Like no one else would have done that.

Yes to all of this. loving incredible stuff, this episode.

Also, just from a comedy standpoint, John Oliver's reaction to "If you're not on the list, you are now" was flawless.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Shadoer posted:

Now hopefully this will go viral and something will happen. I know it's unlikely even with a fantastic video like that, but here's hoping.

Edit: Like really, they should have had a hashtag to go with this. Something like #notmydickpic

Barack Obama the United States 44th #notmypresident deserved more love

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I couldn't really come up with a good hashtag, which is unfortunate since a lot of people get their news that way: #YouDownWithDPP

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

My ideas:

#HandsOffMyDickPicNSA
#HandsoffMyDickPic
#NotMyDickPic

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Holy poo poo he just interviewed Edward Snowden.

That was amazing.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

That was absolutely fantastic. Good god. I still can't believe he actually played those clips to crush Snowden's spirit, but the ensuing discussion made it all the better.

The fact he tells John not to give in and change his behavior because of government intrusion is very :unsmith:

But we will consider him the bad guy because we cannot bear to face the tough questions and harsh truths of life.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Remember when Obama said he'd end the spying and illegal wiretapping during the 08 campaign? And now his administration has gone after leakers harder than any administration ever. Seems like it was said by a totally different person.

If Obama really cared about this he'd pardon Snowden for exposing all this. He was way more responsible and cautious than Manning and without him we would have no clue about all this.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PassTheRemote posted:

But we will consider him the bad guy because we cannot bear to face the tough questions and harsh truths of life.

Its telling how spineless the left has become when they're not willing to take Obama to task for this poo poo because it might hurt the Democrats in the next election (too late).

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
This show's incredible.

axeil posted:

Remember when Obama said he'd end the spying and illegal wiretapping during the 08 campaign?
I imagine actually becoming president and getting full access to 'the government' changes your perspective on the usefulness of spying/wiretapping. Also I shudder to imagine the red tape involved. It's kinda like how no president reduces the power of the executive branch while in office. That said, I really hope the Obama Admin does something before they're out of office. It's one of the major disappointments easily.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

dick picks have destroyed congressmen and shifted the balance of power in politics before. if this gets pushed hard enough I think that the power of the dick pic can finally be harnessed for what is a concrete good.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

EatinCake posted:

I really hope the Obama Admin does something before they're out of office.

Promised fulfilled.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

axeil posted:

Remember when Obama said he'd end the spying and illegal wiretapping during the 08 campaign? And now his administration has gone after leakers harder than any administration ever. Seems like it was said by a totally different person.

If Obama really cared about this he'd pardon Snowden for exposing all this. He was way more responsible and cautious than Manning and without him we would have no clue about all this.

You would be fool to believe Obama was serious about getting rid of the police state mentality that was created as a result of 9/11.

If anything he just continued multiple bush administration policies such as the high tech domestic spy program or drone strike assassination program.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Same can be expected from any other probable Democratic nominee for President.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Glenn Greenwald wrote a thing about how there's nothing special about Americans not knowing who Snowden is, most people don't know a drat thing about government.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/04/06/john-oliver-interview-political-disengagement-american-public/

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So was that tortoise lonely or just kinky?

The surveillance debate is probably one of those few things where I find it okay to say "let's have a conversation about _____" precisely because it hasn't been consistently vetted by the public and doesn't register at all on people's daily political radar.

Sadly, I don't see anything changing.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how much of an impact this show will have on our society...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how much of an impact this show will have on our society...

In 10 years every government policy will be explained in relation to dick pics. Social Security? Ensuring the ability to send and receive dick pics into retirement. Infrastructure? The very means of sending dick pics. War? Those sons of bitches hate us for our dick picks and want to take them from us.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Gyges posted:

War? Those sons of bitches hate us for our dick picks and want to take them from us.

No, more like they hate us because our phones are better and the cameras have higher resolution.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The Daily Beast: "John Oliver Makes Edward Snowden Squirm on Last Week Tonight"

Is that what they really got out of that segment and interview?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Echo Chamber posted:

The Daily Beast: "John Oliver Makes Edward Snowden Squirm on Last Week Tonight"

Is that what they really got out of that segment and interview?

It's the best headline they got out of it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

No, more like they hate us because our phones are better and the cameras have higher resolution.

They hate us because we exploit their people for the resources to develop our dick-sending devices

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

No blood for dick pics!

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm wondering why some people watched the interview and somehow took from it that it made Snowden look bad.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm wondering why some people watched the interview and somehow took from it that it made Snowden look bad.

Some folks really, really hate Edward Snowden and that resulting lens leads to some really stupid things.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

It made Snowden look sad. Here's a guy who fled his home to stay out of jail, and 2 years later a comedian is shoving in his face that his ideals and dreams resulted in literally nothing changing and the "man on the street" has no idea who he is.

I'll say this, having Snowden explain how the US Government can take and store dick pics is probably the most important thing he's done. It's putting it into a context that the vast majority of people can understand and get upset over.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Some folks really, really hate Edward Snowden and that resulting lens leads to some really stupid things.

I actually wasn't a big fan of Snowden myself, but Oliver actually turned my opinion more to his favor. What an interview.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I think when Snowden was watching the girl in the dick pics video talk about how we need more transparency and more clearly written laws about these things he looked hopeful.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It proves that contextualizing things in to something a guy or gal on the street can identify with is the way to get change. Conflating the head of the FCC as a babysitter that happens to be a dingo, creating an ad blitz with Jeff the diseased lung, and showing how unfettered surveillance means that the government is staring at your junk is necessary for that context.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"The government has a record of everything you've done online, a copy of every e-mail and text you've ever sent or received, and a recording of every cell phone conversation you've ever had" needs context?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Irish Joe posted:

"The government has a record of everything you've done online, a copy of every e-mail and text you've ever sent or received, and a recording of every cell phone conversation you've ever had" needs context?

It does for Americans, apparently. I'm German and Snowden is a hero here; it confuses me deeply that people in the US don't even seem to know him. At the very least, I expected them to have bought into some Fox News traitor spin.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It proves that contextualizing things in to something a guy or gal on the street can identify with is the way to get change. Conflating the head of the FCC as a babysitter that happens to be a dingo, creating an ad blitz with Jeff the diseased lung, and showing how unfettered surveillance means that the government is staring at your junk is necessary for that context.

I agree to an extent, but I do think that the whole dick pics thing oversimplifies a serious issue. The fact that NSA employees pass around dick pics for fun is the least horrifying thing about a government agency that has the ability to access pretty much any data it wants with only a kangaroo court to keep it in check.

A huge part of any conversation on government surveillance is about how privacy is important even if you're not a terrorist, because a ton of people operate with that mindset of "if you have nothing to hide, why do you care?" This was never brought up, and it really should have been.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oh Snapple! posted:

No, he definitely tore into Snowden for a while, a lot longer than I was expecting -- and more than Snowden was expecting too, I think. I was expecting the vast majority of time to be devoted to dangers of the surveillance state. The first few minutes of the interview really took Snowden to task for releasing a ton of classified data that could potentially threaten lives or allow terrorist organizations to evade surveillance. And I think, objectively speaking, he deserves to answer for that as well, even if the answer ends up being "It was outweighed by the public's need to see what kind of records the government was keeping."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's not at all new that complicated news needs to be put into context; it's just that most news outlets prefer to do stories about things that people are already interested in rather than doing their loving job and making the important things of the day interesting to the viewer.

Actual investigative reporting is mostly dead because reporters can't loving present things in an interesting way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Irish Joe posted:

To the layman that sounds like exaggeration, and besides, with so much data what do I have to worry about with my relatively innocent online activities?

Contextualizing it in a way that displays a specific capacity they have that is disturbing is much easier to understand.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Katana Gomai posted:

It does for Americans, apparently. I'm German and Snowden is a hero here; it confuses me deeply that people in the US don't even seem to know him. At the very least, I expected them to have bought into some Fox News traitor spin.

"Man on the street" segments are intended to prove a point, confirm a bias, land a joke/etc. Not to be accurate.

Yes they found some idiots that didn't know who Snowden was, yes there are a lot of them, but I promise you people are stupid and ignorant of what goes on around them in every country or grouping you can come up with, in roughly equal measure. I mean, Germans don't exactly have a sterling reputation for keeping their government from loving up now do you?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

IRQ posted:

"Man on the street" segments are intended to prove a point, confirm a bias, land a joke/etc. Not to be accurate.

Yes they found some idiots that didn't know who Snowden was, yes there are a lot of them, but I promise you people are stupid and ignorant of what goes on around them in every country or grouping you can come up with, in roughly equal measure. I mean, Germans don't exactly have a sterling reputation for keeping their government from loving up now do you?

"Yeah well your country sucks too" is such a wonderful counterstatement. :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

JT Jag posted:

To the layman that sounds like exaggeration, and besides, with so much data what do I have to worry about with my relatively innocent online activities?

Contextualizing it in a way that displays a specific capacity they have that is disturbing is much easier to understand.

You do have to love the vanity required for the contextualization though. All the things you've done or said electronically will be lost in the sea of data. But pictures of your dick? gently caress, no way those get lost in the shuffle. Your dick is magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

• Locked thread