Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There's something that confuses me a little. Shenron is only able to grant wishes that do not exceed the power of his creator (i.e. Kami and Dende). How is bringing someone back to life not exceeding his creator's power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mraagvpeine posted:

There's something that confuses me a little. Shenron is only able to grant wishes that do not exceed the power of his creator (i.e. Kami and Dende). How is bringing someone back to life not exceeding his creator's power?

Secretly, Kami could have always revived people with his alien magic, but makes the scrubs collect the dragonballs.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I like Cell more than Frieza. The whole android and cell saga is my favourite in DBZ.

Buu was pretty fun as well but he's like several characters in one and keeps changing identity every time he absorbs someone or splits or whatev

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Cui is equal to Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga, thus weaker than Zarbon and Dodoria. Vegeta at the beginning of the Freeza Saga is stronger than Zarbon and Dodoria (who are almost equal to each other), but weaker than Monster Zarbon, who himself is weaker than everyone in the Ginyu Force but Guldo (who is far weaker than the rest, relying on psychic powers instead), all of which are, of course, weaker than 1st Form Freeza and his 530000 Power.

Yup, just like I said, except as far as I recall, theres pretty much no evidence that Dodoria or Zarbon are significantly stronger than Cui or Vegeta. I'll gladly be proven wrong, but that's how I recall things. I think Cui is around 18 thou, same as Vegeta used to be at the time, and when Dodoria reads Vegeta's power as around 22k or something he says that that is stronger than he is, so theres very little in it in any case. And Vegeta handles Cui, Dodoria and untransformed Zarbon with similar ease.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 6, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I dunno how it comes across in Japanese, but Frieza always seemed really neurotic about being the best where Perfect Cell comes across as the smuggest prick this side of Bleach. Sure, they're both incredibly sore losers, but Cell's reaction is a big middle finger and Frieza's is abject terror. Kind of odd, since Cell was supposed to be obsessed with perfection.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Prison Warden posted:

Yup, just like I said, except as far as I recall, theres pretty much no evidence that Dodoria or Zarbon are significantly stronger than Cui or Vegeta. I'll gladly be proven wrong, but that's how I recall things. I think Cui is around 18 thou, same as Vegeta used to be at the time, and when Dodoria reads Vegeta's power as around 22k or something he says that that is stronger than he is, so theres very little in it in any case. And Vegeta handles Cui, Dodoria and untransformed Zarbon with similar ease.

Daizenshuu 7 gives the power levels for Cui, Zarbon and Dodoria. Cui is about 18000, Dodoria is 22000 and Zarbon is 23000. Vegeta surpasses them all with 24000 (that was said in-series). Zarbon's monster form doesn't seem to have a canonical power level, but it should be over 24000 and below 30000, as Vegeta's power was close to 30000 when he fought Recoome.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I dunno how it comes across in Japanese, but Frieza always seemed really neurotic about being the best where Perfect Cell comes across as the smuggest prick this side of Bleach. Sure, they're both incredibly sore losers, but Cell's reaction is a big middle finger and Frieza's is abject terror. Kind of odd, since Cell was supposed to be obsessed with perfection.

Cell has several moments where his Saiyan side shows a lot. He acts exactly like Vegeta in a lot of ways, even pushing the opponent to reveal extreme power despite the fact that this is a very idiotic thing to do that will no doubt get him killed. As you said, Cell reacts with a big middle finger (and an even bigger Kamehameha), which is exactly how Vegeta reacts as well.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 6, 2015

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'm going to be all contrarian and say that the Androids \ Cell saga is the coolest part of DBZ, with the Frieza saga being the most boring. They're on Namek for forever, even in the manga. I have mixed feelings on the Buu saga. I like Majin Buu, Videl, the Great Saiyaman, Hercule and so on, but I'm not a big fan of Gotenks, SSJ3 and Gohan being a jobber. I also like the Red Ribbon and Piccolo sagas a lot, as well as the various tournaments.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Cell seems more concerned about testing his limit(though he believes he can beat everyone) and revelling in his perfection. It's why he does stuff like try and tank Vegeta's final flash and try to get Gohan mad so he can power up.

Frieza's a lot more sadistic and he'll toy with his opponents for his own amusement. He's not the type to really let people power up.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Daizenshuu 7 gives the power levels for Cui, Zarbon and Dodoria. Cui is about 18000, Dodoria is 22000 and Zarbon is 23000. Vegeta surpasses them all with 24000 (that was said in-series). Zarbon's monster form doesn't seem to have a canonical power level, but it should be over 24000 and below 30000, as Vegeta's power was close to 30000 when he fought Recoome.

Yeah well my mate Gordon in high school said Super Saiyan Goku had a powerlevel of a billion but I'm not gonna listen to him either :smug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm going to be all contrarian and say that the Androids \ Cell saga is the coolest part of DBZ, with the Frieza saga being the most boring. They're on Namek for forever, even in the manga. I have mixed feelings on the Buu saga. I like Majin Buu, Videl, the Great Saiyaman, Hercule and so on, but I'm not a big fan of Gotenks, SSJ3 and Gohan being a jobber. I also like the Red Ribbon and Piccolo sagas a lot, as well as the various tournaments.

Frieza owns, Androids are boring, cell owns, buu has some excellent stuff and some really boring stuff

all of dragonball owns

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Eonwe posted:

Frieza owns, Androids are boring, cell owns, buu has some excellent stuff and some really boring stuff

all of dragonball owns

Close except the Androids are better than Cell.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cell is my least favorite main villain of DBZ, and even then I still like him quite a bit.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Cell is my least favorite main villain of DBZ, and even then I still like him quite a bit.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Eonwe posted:

all of dragonball owns

Watching 18 Kick the everloving gently caress out of Vegeta is peak Android Saga. Second by watching him kick the same out of 19.

Rest of its alright. Dragonball owns. :smugbert:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Thyrork posted:

Second by watching him kick the same out of 19.

Almost everyone Vegeta kills is either running away or helpless it's amazing.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Eonwe posted:

all of dragonball owns

This is the correct answer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think its just the androids personality that bores the gently caress out of me, idk

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Eonwe posted:

i think its just the androids personality that bores the gently caress out of me, idk

16 starts out stiff as a board and he doesn't get much better, but I always thought 17 and 18 have some good characterization. Different strokes, I suppose.

I'll always love 17 mugging people for their energy so Goku can make the spirit bomb at the end of Buu.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Androids are boring as gently caress until DBZA made them the best.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I generally like the Cell Saga the most too even through I never watched it all, which the same happened to the Buu Saga as well. I think this might come off of being bored of the Frieza Saga when watching it back in Syndication and on Cartoon Network, where it constantly ended at the Ginyu Force section.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Semi-Perfect and Perfect Cell better be goddamn amazing to make up for breaking up the Android comedy trio, which is easily the best part of Abridged outside Piccolo and Freeza.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
The one thing I always forget about Cell is just how tall he is, like Imperfect Cell is taller than Piccolo who is way taller than Goku, its not as noticeable since he shrinks in Perfect form

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Who is the actual biggest dude anyway? King Cold? Broly?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Zzulu posted:

reposting this here because it is true and good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as7rmpQnGFI

Those are all very well done, I just watched a bunch of them.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I dunno, I just always thought the Androids were cool because robots are cool. Plus, you have multiple villains at once, many of whom are at odds with each other - Dr. Gero and 19 show up, 17 and 18 kill Dr. Gero, Cell comes out and wants to absorb 17 and 18. Plus you have Trunks doing time travel shenanigans. And also Mr. Satan. Piccolo fuses with Kami and Vegeta goes SSJ so they both have moments to shine. Trunks also goes so Super Saiyan that he's too buff to actually move properly. You also have a ton of collateral damage with Cell\the Androids killing entire cities whereas Namek is boring as gently caress and only has like 100 guys living on the entire planet.

That said, Imperfect Cell is way more interesting and cool than Perfect Cell. In his Imperfect form he's more of a freakish monster that stalks and eats people. After he absorbs the androids he becomes a little bland.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I like Imperfect Cell a bit more then regular Cell, as I just love his design. Shame he not playable in Xenoverse even through he has a character model in the game but only used for a cutscene.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Rirse posted:

Yeah I like Imperfect Cell a bit more then regular Cell, as I just love his design. Shame he not playable in Xenoverse even through he has a character model in the game but only used for a cutscene.

Yeah, I don't get it, either. You can play as Frieza's first form, as well as more swole versions of Frieza and Cell's final forms. I would have liked getting all their forms, even though Frieza wasn't in forms 2 or 3 for very long. At least we get the three most iconic Buu forms, that being Fat, Super and Kid.

I managed to snag Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for Wii for $40 the other day because Xenoverse has me in DBZ mode, and that game is hailed as being one of the best as it has almost everyone ever. That's not too shabby considering it goes for $80-90 on Amazon\ebay. I also have the collection with Budokai 1/3 for PS3, Super DBZ and Xenoverse so I'm pretty sure I have all the best DBZ games now, right?

I remember playing the SNES Super Butoden games on emulators with my friends way, way back when, but man they haven't aged well. A friend of mine also had this DBZ RPG for SNES. I think Hyper Dimension might be the only SNES one that isn't totally poo poo. That said, I really hope Extreme Butoden comes out in the US because it looks badass. I just wish it wasn't for 3DS because who the hell plays fighting games on a handheld?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Cell is great because he's a sneaky gently caress and knows when to hoof it out of there when's he's outmatched. He was also smart enough to play with vegeta' pride s. Plus he powers up along with the heroes, which is cool.

Any Buu other than Fat buu is pretty boring tbh.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cell is literally the only competent bad guy in the entirety of DBZ

the other guys just end up lucky, plot deviced, or rely on "im way stronger and faster than you im gonna smirk for a while"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mraagvpeine posted:

I always interpreted that as being related to the one year time limit. Like, kami could revive someone from death, but it would take a year's worth of his power. Quicker and easier to use the dragon balls and Kami can still do stuff for that year.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gammatron 64 posted:

That said, Imperfect Cell is way more interesting and cool than Perfect Cell. In his Imperfect form he's more of a freakish monster that stalks and eats people. After he absorbs the androids he becomes a little bland.

In the dub at least they did this thing where occasionally Perfect Cell would get this monstrously deep voice after certain moments (like regrowing his arm). It was a cool reminder of how incredibly unnatural he is even when he looks his most "human".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

dbz cosplay is hard as hell and that's some pretty drat good goku hair.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

jivjov posted:

I always interpreted that as being related to the one year time limit. Like, kami could revive someone from death, but it would take a year's worth of his power. Quicker and easier to use the dragon balls and Kami can still do stuff for that year.

It probably helps that Dende was probably trained in cool Namekian magic where Kami was half of himself and never knew anyone else in his species.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Cell is great because he's a sneaky gently caress and knows when to hoof it out of there when's he's outmatched. He was also smart enough to play with vegeta' pride s. Plus he powers up along with the heroes, which is cool.

Any Buu other than Fat buu is pretty boring tbh.

Fat Buu is the best Buu.

It's really disappointing that S.H. Figuarts insists on doing Broly as well as Super Buu with Gohan or Gotenks absorbed when really, I want Fat Buu and Kid Buu.

Also it sucks how much S.H. Figuarts DBZ figures go for. I'm really lucky to have most of them, because they go for INSANE prices on the aftermarket. I regret not getting Saiyan Saga Vegeta when he was "only" $90. I got SSJ Vegeta and Trunks at an anime con for a "steal" of $80 each. They often go for $200-300. That's loving nuts.

I just recently got 16 and 17 even though they're not my favorites because I was like "I better get them now before they cost 3 bills." I was this close to getting Broly and I don't even like Broly all that much.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Rodyle posted:

Semi-Perfect and Perfect Cell better be goddamn amazing to make up for breaking up the Android comedy trio, which is easily the best part of Abridged outside Piccolo and Freeza.

I wonder if Cell in his perfect forms will have a running commentary from 17 and 18 in his head a la Nail and Kami.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

I wonder if Cell in his perfect forms will have a running commentary from 17 and 18 in his head a la Nail and Kami.

So eventually we'll get Super Buu with Fat Buu, Gohan, Goten, Piccolo, and Trunks commentary?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rodyle posted:

So eventually we'll get Super Buu with Fat Buu, Gohan, Goten, Piccolo, and Trunks commentary?

I actually hope they reserve that for Piccolo, but then when Buu absorbs Piccolo he's suddenly got three extra voices in his head.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

DBZA Gotenks will be both a work of art, and a thing that is going to be so hard for them to keep fresh. Gotenks was annoying as poo poo, on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Frieza only reappears after his death in filler and GT stuff doesnt he? That poo poo doesn't count

Canon doesn't matter in this case just the saturation of the idea in the audience's mind.

• Locked thread