Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuiko-Digital
Aug 31, 2007
forever digital!
Anyone know of any teaching-job vacancies in a larger city? Currently in a smaller city and would like to have more expat-friendly amenities. I have a secondary teaching degree from Canada (Math/Science). I have two years experience in China teaching math, physics, and chemistry for grade 12. Let me know here or wechat: pruneguy. Thanks so much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Anyone know of any teaching-job vacancies in a larger city? Currently in a smaller city and would like to have more expat-friendly amenities. I have a secondary teaching degree from Canada (Math/Science). I have two years experience in China teaching math, physics, and chemistry for grade 12. Let me know here or wechat: pruneguy. Thanks so much!

Sorry, I don't really know any teaching job vacancies. I don't work in that industry.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zuiko-Digital posted:

My company is hiring if you're looking for work. I work in study abroad prep, but they are planning to open an international school next year, that I'm in charge of hiring for. I'll add you on WeChat right now, my username is HuoQiao Jobjed lol.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

Sorry, I don't really know any teaching job vacancies. I don't work in that industry.

You should try to network more, especially outside your industry. Sometimes a lateral cross industry move can yield amazing returns for you financially and careerwise.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloodnose posted:

You should try to network more, especially outside your industry. Sometimes a lateral cross industry move can yield amazing returns for you financially and careerwise.

Education isn't really my thing.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Fart Simpson is just PRO-PRC Laowai, right?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Can you buy lockpicks on Taobao?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I don't know, I bought my lockpicks in the US and brought them over.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am considering a return to dear old China. I am a native English speaker also fluent in Chinese, and have two years of English teaching experience from kindergarten to postgrad in Wuhan.

Any posters know of good jobs?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

NaanViolence posted:

I am considering a return to dear old China. I am a native English speaker also fluent in Chinese, and have two years of English teaching experience from kindergarten to postgrad in Wuhan.

Any posters know of good jobs?

Nope.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok again my company is hiring and I'm the person in charge of recruitment so if people are looking for work I'm happy to help or at least give you an interview. Tianjin is overflowing with jobs, I'm helping recruitment for another company here as well and I am offered part time to fulltime jobs on a monthly basis that I don't even go looking for. There is a shortage of qualified people here in Tianjin for work if people are interested in coming to China to work.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

fart simpson posted:

Education isn't really my thing.

Mystery solved

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

goldboilermark posted:

Ok again my company is hiring and I'm the person in charge of recruitment so if people are looking for work I'm happy to help or at least give you an interview. Tianjin is overflowing with jobs, I'm helping recruitment for another company here as well and I am offered part time to fulltime jobs on a monthly basis that I don't even go looking for. There is a shortage of qualified people here in Tianjin for work if people are interested in coming to China to work.

Yep, I posted before reading the last few pages. Your situation is similar to mine when I was in Wuhan, and I still have contacts there, but I am thinking that I should probably expand my horizons beyond Wuhan. I am researching Tianjin now. How is the pollution? Wuhan was livable, but any worse may be a dealbreaker.

I fell in love with Kunming when traveling through, but the salaries there are quite low, even for teachers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

simplefish posted:

Mystery solved

:owned:

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Not interacting with people would definitely improve things around here.

Nothing will allow me to link my bank to Alipay and it won't accept a passport as ID and nobody in my office can figure out anything so this is yet another thing that is going to be multiple days of me being angry and nothing ever being accomplished. This is the top thing I hate about China. More than the pollution, more than the driving, more than the zombie staring. Basic tasks that take five minutes in a real country are rendered as difficult as humanly possible.

Do you speak Chinese? Are you learning?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have any data in front of me but my eyes tell me that it is much better than it was last year. It's not great but Tianjin isn't really an outside type of city, so there's not much to do outside.

Tianjin is a really cool city to live in but kinda sucks to visit. I love it personally.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I was disappointed by Tianjin street food

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I was disappointed by  狗不理包子 and thought they were OK to worse than baozi 1/10th the price on any street corner.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

I was disappointed by  狗不理包子 and thought they were OK to worse than baozi 1/10th the price on any street corner.

So they live up to their name.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I like those balls of sweet potato mash, I don't know the name though.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

So they live up to their name.

包子排行榜:

1. 生煎包
2. 酱肉包
3. 叉烧包
4. 香菇菜包
5. 麻辣牛肉包

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

NaanViolence posted:

Do you speak Chinese? Are you learning?

No and yes. That's not the issue though. I've had Chinese speakers with me for the majority of this stuff and it doesn't help. I also moved to Korea speaking no Korean and had some of this sort of thing given the general love of inefficiency/nobody having a clue how to do their loving jobs around here but it was nowhere near as bad as in China.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Smykowski posted:

I was disappointed by Tianjin street food

Tianjin street breakfast owns. It is famous for Dabingjidan and Jianbingguozi (大饼鸡蛋和煎饼果子) and that poo poo owns, though it obviously isn't localized to only Tianjin, as I had it in Berkeley, California lol.

Magna Kaser posted:

Did you have the expensive 狗不理 or the poo poo fast food kind? I had the expensive kind once like four years ago, some guy came and sang a song and did a dance and it was this real theatrical production the entire time we were there. It was kinda cool but I will never do it again.

I usually am more of a street food kinda guy but I spent the last 48 hours after watching Liverpool-Arsenal throwing up nonstop over something I ate, while my wife took turns taking care of me while I was throwing up and saying "This is why you shouldn't eat local Chinese food" while I wasn't throwing up.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

goldboilermark posted:

Tianjin street breakfast owns. It is famous for Dabingjidan and Jianbingguozi (大饼鸡蛋和煎饼果子) and that poo poo owns, though it obviously isn't localized to only Tianjin, as I had it in Berkeley, California lol.

Did you have the expensive 狗不理 or the poo poo fast food kind? I had the expensive kind once like four years ago, some guy came and sang a song and did a dance and it was this real theatrical production the entire time we were there. It was kinda cool but I will never do it again.

I usually am more of a street food kinda guy but I spent the last 48 hours after watching Liverpool-Arsenal throwing up nonstop over something I ate, while my wife took turns taking care of me while I was throwing up and saying "This is why you shouldn't eat local Chinese food" while I wasn't throwing up.

At least you got to see four nice goals.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

goldboilermark posted:

They were the expensive kind which is why I felt so shafted. If I had the cheap kind on the street I wouldn't have been so tiffed.

Also jianbingguozi is p much anywhere in China, but I think it's originally from Shandong since that's what my Shandong pals told me--and shown by how there is a cart making it every 100m in Qingdao 24 hours a day.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I was told time and again that 煎饼果子 is a Tianjin thing but I've had it in different places so who knows?

fart simpson posted:

At least you got to see four nice goals.

False, I left when it was 3-1 >:[

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

包子排行榜:

1. 生煎包
2. 酱肉包
3. 叉烧包
4. 香菇菜包
5. 麻辣牛肉包

没有灌汤包,混帐包榜

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

没有灌汤包,混帐包榜

I dont like those so much, they'd prob be #7 i guess though theyre better than gou bu li

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Do you know a really good baozi place, baozi is a thing where like it's always okay but I've never been impressed.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you know a really good baozi place, baozi is a thing where like it's always okay but I've never been impressed.

Yes, several.

Some day we will bao.

Useless Name
May 3, 2005

Zuiko-Digital posted:

There's a bigger demand for physics/math teachers than there is supply at international schools, especially with a teacher's license in the subject you teach. Shenzhen is a nice city and has AP physics jobs that pay 30,000+ per month. Shanghai has a ton of A level /AP/IB schools hiring too. There should also be Canadian curriculum schools that only hire teachers with specific provincial teaching certificates. Your university would probably know more about that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Useless Name posted:

There's a bigger demand for physics/math teachers than there is supply at international schools, especially with a teacher's license in the subject you teach. Shenzhen is a nice city and has AP physics jobs that pay 30,000+ per month. Shanghai has a ton of A level /AP/IB schools hiring too. There should also be Canadian curriculum schools that only hire teachers with specific provincial teaching certificates. Your university would probably know more about that.

Why do accredited teachers even stay in the US if these jobs pay so much in Asia????

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Magna Kaser posted:

Why do accredited teachers even stay in the US if these jobs pay so much in Asia????

To stay away from you :keke:

Useless Name
May 3, 2005

Magna Kaser posted:

I've heard of some international schools in shenzhen and hong kong, probably beijing and shanghai too that charge upwards of 250,000 rmb per year for a student to attend. So yeah these schools have cash to pay their teachers. Forgetting about the salaries of teachers at international schools in the middle east, it's not unheard of for a hong kong school to offer 80,000 US per year tax free plus on campus housing. I've heard of esl teachers jumping over to international schools and somehow getting 30,000 per month too and they don't have teaching certificates.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

This just in: China is absolutely insanely bonkers for Western education and will throw their life savings at it, more news to follow

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Useless Name posted:

I've heard of esl teachers jumping over to international schools and somehow getting 30,000 per month too and they don't have teaching certificates.

Also this has happened a fair amount in Tianjin. The pickings are so slim that I may be going to Aukland and Sydney next month to recruiting fairs because we can't seem to find anyone to come work here. It's baffling to me, no idea why. It usually isn't 30k a month, most starting international schools are like 20k/22k a month. You can make more if you stick around longer in smaller companies like mine. Pays well, it is a good field to be in right now.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zuiko-Digital posted:

HONG KONG LOR. MY GIRLFRIEND said she would recommend you for a job in Hangzhou but reading your credentials changed her mind to say HONG KONG. With a legit teaching degree and experience in a public system is very much easier for you to get a job in Hong Kong. Probably international school like the 2 Canadian International school, German Swiss and Jewish (both care about top teachers), and a whole bunch of others. There's also schools with more local flavour like Shanghai Victoria or Yew Chung. Just get your rear end down here.

Unfortunately, the hiring season for the next school year is over unless it's some emergency substitute on some rare occasion.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

包子排行榜:

1. 生煎包
2. 酱肉包
3. 叉烧包
4. 香菇菜包
5. 麻辣牛肉包

what's sauce meat bun

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Unfortunately, the hiring season for the next school year is over unless it's some emergency substitute on some rare occasion.

You sure? March may be the season but a lot of places will be interviewing new candidates and filling vacancies through June. Many schools run their budget cycles by the academic calendar so June/July is their absolute deadline for filling positions. I don't know about Hong Kong though, maybe it's different there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Like I posted above, there are fairs for international schools next month in Australia and New Zealand, so there may still be some people looking for people to hire and people looking for work...you'd think?

I would love to work in Hong Kong, wouldn't want to live there, but it would just be so expensive I wouldn't really want to deal with all that.