Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

lol if you are a computer :lol:

edit :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
10000 posts. we did it everybody

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

Kyrie eleison posted:

10000 posts. we did it everybody

lol that it wasnt you :lol:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
god sucked my gay dick and made me smoke weed now im demisexual and a satanist. long live satan and his devil weed, jah bless. Smoke Weed. Hail Sagan

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
el oh el if you think Yahweh is the good one and Lucifer the bad one el oh el

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Kyrie eleison posted:

God actually talks to everyone all the time. Like, he's talking to you right now and you don't even listen.

First of all, no he isn't

Second of all, in order to be sure (because that's just the kind of person he made me to be), I'd need something a little more than vague impulses that I attribute to a deity. Like a blinding vision, maybe? He does those. Or an appearance in corporeal form? I'm not asking for Him to do everything for me in my life, just make me 100% certain he's real. He's done it before, and he clearly wants the outcome it would bring.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

God actually talks to everyone all the time. Like, he's talking to you right now and you don't even listen.

Who are you to say that they don't listen to what God says? That sounds like hubris to me. The hubris of the damned, Kyrie.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

No good psychologist would say that.

Its a good thing you are not one. Because voices in your head telling you what to do is universally considered a bad sign.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So, Kyrie how was your lent? Did you hit up any gay bars karaoke bars and hook up with that nice boy you found through Grindr you've been chatting up belt out a soulful rendition of Shania Twain's hit Man! I Feel Like A Woman! Duran Duran's Hungry Like The Wolf?

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

CommieGIR posted:

Its a good thing you are not one. Because voices in your head telling you what to do is universally considered a bad sign.

a good mental health professional would investigate the psychological causes of the voices and determine if they were harmful or not (they usually are not). a bad one would give you a schizophrenia diagnosis and put you on anti-psychotics and tell you to suppress and ignore the voices as much as possible which would of course not successfully alleviate the problem

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

a good mental health professional would investigate the psychological causes of the voices and determine if they were harmful or not (they usually are not). a bad one would give you a schizophrenia diagnosis and put you on anti-psychotics and tell you to suppress and ignore the voices as much as possible which would of course not successfully alleviate the problem

Right, because the guy who praises the Catholic Church and chooses to ignore pedophilia is going to be well informed on mental health diagnosis.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Kyrie outs himself as a scientologist ITT.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Disinterested posted:

Those drat Thetans. :argh:

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
wow... the day a catholic got worse than a catholic :stare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Possibly in either case it might be considered ill advised to listen to voices in your head that you have no conscious control over and don't know where they come from?

I realise that if you believe god is talking to you this may not be your view but perhaps you can appreciate that in general it is not a good idea, even though obviously the creator of the universe is telling you personally that you need to avoid having sex with men.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Disinterested posted:

when they're right they're right

CommieGIR posted:

Those drat Thetans. :argh:

we prefer to call them devils, and they must be cast out

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kyrie eleison posted:

Hold on I used up all my 6th level spells for the day so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to prepare a Banishment spell.

Someone head down to the apothecary while we wait and pick up some powdered silver so I can prepare the Magic Circle Against Evil.

-EDIT-

Oh, and a feather from a Lamassu, those give me a +1 to caster level checks when casting Abjuration spells with the [Good] descriptor.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 6, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

:laffo:

Man, you are honestly quite a headcase.

Kyrie eleison posted:

ITT: Kyrie advocates for 16th Century Mental Healthcare
Burning Feminists at the stake: That one trick Liberals HATE.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 6, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Michael Jackson posted:

wow... the day a catholic got worse than a catholic :stare:
Kyrie is actually either a lovely catholic or someone who's figured out it's a good troll gimmick (which to be fair, it is)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

Kyrie is actually either a lovely catholic or someone who's figured out it's a good troll gimmick (which to be fair, it is)

It's the most obvious troll on DnD after MIGF.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

The sad part being that even if he is trolling, he does a far better job at it than any of the other religion D&D threads that pop up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Disinterested posted:

It's the most obvious troll on DnD after MIGF.
I know a guy who is basically the same person as Kyrie, but less charming and with issues about women instead of homosexuality, and while he's a trolly gently caress he also actually believes this poo poo - so there's some nuance here! Perhaps you could say his nature is both wholly troll and wholly sincere, simultaneously.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

I know a guy who is basically the same person as Kyrie, but less charming and with issues about women instead of homosexuality, and while he's a trolly gently caress he also actually believes this poo poo - so there's some nuance here! Perhaps you could say his nature is both wholly troll and wholly sincere, simultaneously.

:golfclap:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

There again lies the troll paradox:
Many people who often troll, especially on things like scientific or religious discussions, often actually hold those viewpoints as valid despite the idea that they are simply trolling.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kyrie eleison posted:

It seems like that's worked really well for Prester John, who is now medicated and (mostly) sane:

Prester John posted:

I am a schizophrenic (full diagnosis Bi-Polar Type II Schizoaffective, PTSD, possible mild autism, depression) trans-woman (only recently out to myself) raised in a hardcore Authoritarian cult. I have only four years of proper education (High School) with the rest of my education being handled either directly at the cult or in home schooling under the supervision of the cult.
--
I also spent many years under a complicated delusion where the voice of the biblical prophet Enoch was giving me instructions to prepare for the final war between Heaven and Hell. I based major life decisions on Enoch's instructions (what jobs to take, where to live, who to befriend, etc).
--
So yeah, take everything I say with a grain of salt. I am a crazy person. A self aware crazy person perhaps, but still a crazy person. I suppose this is something like what a Kyoon rant might look like if he actually took his meds.
Now she's using her new-found sanity to explain how other crazy people think and act.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 6, 2015

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Kyrie, your views are much more interesting to read and think about when you appear sincere and humble or sincere and righteous. When you try to be clever, you sound insincere and also are not actually funny, which is worse.

Your long theological answers are worth reading. Your trite witticisms are not.

Stick to what you're good at and keep the thread worth reading.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trent posted:

Kyrie, your views are much more interesting to read and think about when you appear sincere and humble or sincere and righteous. When you try to be clever, you sound insincere and also are not actually funny, which is worse.

Your long theological answers are worth reading. Your trite witticisms are not.

Stick to what you're good at and keep the thread worth reading.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Kyrie eleison posted:

First of all, no he isn't

Second of all, in order to be sure (because that's just the kind of person he made me to be), I'd need something a little more than vague impulses that I attribute to a deity. Like a blinding vision, maybe? He does those. Or an appearance in corporeal form? I'm not asking for Him to do everything for me in my life, just make me 100% certain he's real. He's done it before, and he clearly wants the outcome it would bring.

Kyrie, I'd appreciate you addressing this. God saw no problem doing more than just "talking to" the Apostle Paul, and he was a murderer of Christians professionally. Am I really so much less deserving of direct intervention than someone like that?

All I'm asking for is a quick undeniable vision. Something with the booming voice and blinding light would be fine. Maybe lasting a minute, if that. After He did that, I'd believe wholeheartedly for the rest of my days, and would be a Christian to the best of my ability.

I mean, do I need to start persecuting Christians to get this to happen? I don't want to, but if that's what it takes...

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

All I'm asking for is a quick undeniable vision. Something with the booming voice and blinding light would be fine. Maybe lasting a minute, if that. After He did that, I'd believe wholeheartedly for the rest of my days, and would be a Christian to the best of my ability.

I mean, do I need to start persecuting Christians to get this to happen? I don't want to, but if that's what it takes...
Well if you go over to Iraq/Syria and start persecuting Christians, you'll almost certainly receive a booming voice and blinding light from the heavens in pretty short order.:v:

Hey, there's honestly a decent argument that "multiple JDAMs pinpointed to your exact location" could be considered the modern version of divine intervention:

2 Kings 1:9-15 posted:

9 Then he sent to Elijah a captain with his company of fifty men. The captain went up to Elijah, who was sitting on the top of a hill, and said to him, “Man of God, the king says, ‘Come down!’”

10 Elijah answered the captain, “If I am a man of God, may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!” Then fire fell from heaven and consumed the captain and his men.

11 At this the king sent to Elijah another captain with his fifty men. The captain said to him, “Man of God, this is what the king says, ‘Come down at once!’”

12 “If I am a man of God,” Elijah replied, “may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!” Then the fire of God fell from heaven and consumed him and his fifty men.

13 So the king sent a third captain with his fifty men. This third captain went up and fell on his knees before Elijah. “Man of God,” he begged, “please have respect for my life and the lives of these fifty men, your servants! 14 See, fire has fallen from heaven and consumed the first two captains and all their men. But now have respect for my life!”

15 The angel of the Lord said to Elijah, “Go down with him; do not be afraid of him.” So Elijah got up and went down with him to the king.
I think something like that was part of the plot of a Star Trek episode, actually.

E: Yeah it was the episode Devil's Due.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 7, 2015

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
Well considering how lovely this thread is and how dumb everyone involved in it is I've decided i'm going to take it upon myself to singlehandedly turn it into a Christian General chat, and ignore all the mockers, haters, and jailbreakers (PBUT).

I feel there is a definite issue within the American Church in recent history that seems to be absent from the history most of the foreign european Churches. I believe that Satan has made the Church a high target and seeded within it with a spirit of division with the goal of ending the Christian Church in America. I feel that he knows the weaknesses of the American citizenry very well and has wild success introducing infighting, backwardness, and hatred to what once was a very strong loving and forward thinking movement.

With the insistence of many Church Congregations to cling to culture war after culture ware and divisive issue after divisive issue do any of you think a great reformer could emerge to save the Christian Church in America?

I know it is already though by most missionary movements that the time of the USA as the major center for foreign mission work is ending and they believe that within the next 30 years we will see a massive rise in reverse mission work as foreign countries begin to send missionaries to the United States. Do you think that this is a reasonable concept or Premature?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Everyone is taking this the wrong way and just ganging up on poor old Kyrie. You are misinterpreting his cryptozoology. Jesus is not a psychic or miasma that is only fleetingly visible to the optics of select humans at discrete times. God's Voice is like Bigfoot, he is always around but you never have a proper camera.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

PerpetualSelf posted:

Well considering how lovely this thread is and how dumb everyone involved in it is I've decided i'm going to take it upon myself to singlehandedly turn it into a Christian General chat, and ignore all the mockers, haters, and jailbreakers (PBUT).

I feel there is a definite issue within the American Church in recent history that seems to be absent from the history most of the foreign european Churches. I believe that Satan has made the Church a high target and seeded within it with a spirit of division with the goal of ending the Christian Church in America. I feel that he knows the weaknesses of the American citizenry very well and has wild success introducing infighting, backwardness, and hatred to what once was a very strong loving and forward thinking movement.

With the insistence of many Church Congregations to cling to culture war after culture ware and divisive issue after divisive issue do any of you think a great reformer could emerge to save the Christian Church in America?

I know it is already though by most missionary movements that the time of the USA as the major center for foreign mission work is ending and they believe that within the next 30 years we will see a massive rise in reverse mission work as foreign countries begin to send missionaries to the United States. Do you think that this is a reasonable concept or Premature?

The "American Church", by which I assume you mean the totality of Americans who identify as Christian regardless of denomination, is still much stronger than the European Church, where it has degraded into what Benedict called a "desert of godlessness." They had their infighting, too; today we call it the "Reformation," and the ultimate result of it was a mass apostasy.

In many parts of America, religion is still strong, but it is losing favor with the younger generation, which it tends to do from time to time. This is because mass media and our corrupted education system has convinced the youth today that opposition to traditional Christianity is a matter of basic civil rights, and this is accomplished through early indoctrination, repetition, and intimidation. You are surely right that it is Satan at play.

The "culture war" is completely legitimate, and that you think it is itself an imaginary phantom or distraction suggests that you, like basically everyone else in this thread, is a victim of the anti-Christian propaganda campaign, and so even though you have been unwilling to abandon your belief in God (which is ludicrous to a true believer, as they experience him every moment of every day), you have decided to deny sacred beliefs that have been held for two thousand years in favor of some "new understanding" that just so happens to comport with the massive propaganda campaign, even if it does tinge your conscience a bit. I call this confused, if I'm being charitable, and otherwise cowardly.

I'm sure many people will deny the existence of this propaganda campaign despite it being omnipresent, and will perhaps ask me, "who would do such a thing, and why? Who would try to actively subvert the religion of America, and could possibly be in a position to do so? What do they stand to gain?" Well, I'll give you a hint, they aren't Christians.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
And there's the no true Scotsman. We're back on track!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kyrie eleison posted:

The "American Church", by which I assume you mean the totality of Americans who identify as Christian regardless of denomination, is still much stronger than the European Church, where it has degraded into what Benedict called a "desert of godlessness." They had their infighting, too; today we call it the "Reformation," and the ultimate result of it was a mass apostasy.

In many parts of America, religion is still strong, but it is losing favor with the younger generation, which it tends to do from time to time. This is because mass media and our corrupted education system has convinced the youth today that opposition to traditional Christianity is a matter of basic civil rights, and this is accomplished through early indoctrination, repetition, and intimidation. You are surely right that it is Satan at play.

The "culture war" is completely legitimate, and that you think it is itself an imaginary phantom or distraction suggests that you, like basically everyone else in this thread, is a victim of the anti-Christian propaganda campaign, and so even though you have been unwilling to abandon your belief in God (which is ludicrous to a true believer, as they experience him every moment of every day), you have decided to deny sacred beliefs that have been held for two thousand years in favor of some "new understanding" that just so happens to comport with the massive propaganda campaign, even if it does tinge your conscience a bit. I call this confused, if I'm being charitable, and otherwise cowardly.

I'm sure many people will deny the existence of this propaganda campaign despite it being omnipresent, and will perhaps ask me, "who would do such a thing, and why? Who would try to actively subvert the religion of America, and could possibly be in a position to do so? What do they stand to gain?" Well, I'll give you a hint, they aren't Christians.

This is an impressive dance, you manage to slam Protestants while signing on to the evangelical state-cult platform. The tension is killing me.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

quote:

Kyrie, I'd appreciate you addressing this. God saw no problem doing more than just "talking to" the Apostle Paul, and he was a murderer of Christians professionally. Am I really so much less deserving of direct intervention than someone like that?

Correction, it was Jesus who talked to paul. It was not Jesus's Father who talked to him. :science:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

SedanChair posted:

This is an impressive dance, you manage to slam Protestants while signing on to the evangelical state-cult platform. The tension is killing me.

Calling Protestants heretics while completely adopting their theological beliefs and rejecting Catholicism's. That's our Kyrie!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

PerpetualSelf posted:

Not that I object to the premise but I want to know whose low-effort parachute account this is.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kyrie eleison posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GVZXvBvd-w

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PerpetualSelf posted:

Even though I know this is just a bad gimmick account, the idea of people who think Satan is some wily figure doing a sinister tiptoe prance across the nation rubbing his hands together while saying "Hohoho yes, this new scheme of mine is just delectable! And the best part is that no one can stop me!" and who goes on to whisper sweet nothings of divisiveness among Christians is just too precious and hilarious. Every time I hear someone blame the Devil for something it warms my heart and brings a smile to my face in the same way that a three year old who just said something cutely absurd does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If Satan existed, the modern evangelical movement would invite him to CPAC.

• Locked thread