Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Duke 3D was forever ruined for me by the fact that I got Quake 1 well before I got to try the demo of Duke 3D.

Duke 3D was ruined somewhat by Duke Nukem Forever for me.

I just... can't look at Duke the same anymore. It's like finding out Scarlett Johansson was born a man, and then was converted into a girl. And after all of that, she decided to get herself circumcised.

I mean, it felt like I was playing as a character that was so inhumanly narcissistic that I just didn't know how to deal with it. I mean, in retrospect, you would almost expect the game to be comprised of Duke Nukem staring at a mirror, with you losing life every time you looked away from it.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

i mean i dont see what the problem is i like quake live and i'd like it to be on steam and i'd like there to be gibs in.

also for people asking about the dlc thing its like, a game can be rated T, but dlc for that game can be M rated because its a seperate product, so that M rated content can be in the game but the base game can retain its T rating.

Elliotw2 posted:

Selling blood and gibs for $0.50 avoids needing to get the game re-rated by the ESRB or getting it put behind an age lock on Steam.

Oh, oh, I see now. Totally misunderstood the message. Carry on, then.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I always turned off Duke Talk as it sounded dumb as hell even in 1996. Loved the game to death but didn't care the actual character at all.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Posts about the DLC are right. You can release M rated DLC for a T rated game, and have the game remain T, but including it in the base game would result in it being re-rated up to M.

i mean i dont see what the problem is i like quake live and i'd like it to be on steam and i'd like there to be gibs in.

also for people asking about the dlc thing its like, a game can be rated T, but dlc for that game can be M rated because its a seperate product, so that M rated content can be in the game but the base game can retain its T rating.

We are on Steam at the moment, but you're still required to make a Quake Live account the first time you launch the game, and we obviously only have minimal support for Steam features. It's not a great experience, but it's way better than my awful launcher. The Steam-exclusive transition should hopefully be way nicer to get into and play quickly. Don't think we can do the CS:GO style ladders through Steam, but we can at least do everything else they provide.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

spongeh posted:

Posts about the DLC are right. You can release M rated DLC for a T rated game, and have the game remain T, but including it in the base game would result in it being re-rated up to M.

We are on Steam at the moment, but you're still required to make a Quake Live account the first time you launch the game, and we obviously only have minimal support for Steam features. It's not a great experience, but it's way better than my awful launcher. The Steam-exclusive transition should hopefully be way nicer to get into and play quickly. Don't think we can do the CS:GO style ladders through Steam, but we can at least do everything else they provide.

At the very least, I imagine Steamworks would make ladders easier. I imagine you already have, but I would get in touch with Valve's developers, specifically the Steamworks and CS:GO teams, and see if you can't figure out how they do it and try to emulate it in QL. Of course I don't know much about the gaming industry and if that's even possible or whatever.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Convex posted:

I always turned off Duke Talk as it sounded dumb as hell even in 1996. Loved the game to death but didn't care the actual character at all.

There are people who turned off the Duke? Duke Nukem's voice was one of the best parts of the game. :psyduck:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I hacked apart the CON code in DukePlus to add hundreds of Duke Talk lines from Samsara.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TerminusEst13 posted:

Honestly, it's one of my favorite things about Duke.
Duke is a total dork who's memorized like a million different B-movies, quotes them as frequently as a DnD tabletop group would quote Monty Python, and gets wasted on a single beer. There's one part in Manhattan project where he goes into a club and snarls "Death before disco!", but at the intermission he's doing the most hilariously pathetic dance trying to impress the crowd.
He's adorable in how cool he's trying to be, and I think that's the appeal of his character--he's the Johnny Cage of the FPS genre.

Then the newer entries in the franchise treats him like some kind of god-king of mankind and it's just :v:

The Total Dork approach is how Yahtzee was going to write the guy when he was asked to do some writing for a Duke game, but apparently the company wanted Duke to be genuinely bad rear end and welp.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

FINE I guess I'll wait. :colbert: Shane Strife did the soundtrack for Duke on the playstation/saturn, right? That's awesome. How'd you manage that?
Nope, that's Mark Knight. He says he knows Mark Knight but is definitely not Mark Knight.

quote:

As for Totenhaus, it comes down to the levels feeling samey and just generally too large. Each level felt like a series long rear end hallways with side rooms. Then I'd get a key to a door on the complete opposite side of the map that I totally forgot about. They just weren't very fun to explore. I went back and played the original Totenhaus and that was pretty much exactly how those levels were too, so I can't really fault you for staying true to the source material. v:shobon:v
Understandable. I guess I really liked the mansion theme and wanted to expand on it. You should still try EP1M8 and EP1M9 because with those maps I break the mold and do my own thing, and they're the best maps in the pack by far.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Woolie Wool posted:

Nope, that's Mark Knight. He says he knows Mark Knight but is definitely not Mark Knight.

Understandable. I guess I really liked the mansion theme and wanted to expand on it. You should still try EP1M8 and EP1M9 because with those maps I break the mold and do my own thing, and they're the best maps in the pack by far.

Oh. Who am I mistaking Shane Strife for then? Sounds really familiar. And I will definitely give those two maps a shot then, because I really did enjoy your techdemo maps. They were just the right size and had great variety. Also, I was totally thrown for a loop when after escaping I still had to run around outside for a bit. Nice work there. :golfclap:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

spongeh posted:

Am I gonna have to pay money to get my beautiful gibs back, or will it be free?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IERu70a6NXs

Surprisingly haunting cover of Wolf 3D's main menu theme.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Oh. Who am I mistaking Shane Strife for then? Sounds really familiar. And I will definitely give those two maps a shot then, because I really did enjoy your techdemo maps. They were just the right size and had great variety. Also, I was totally thrown for a loop when after escaping I still had to run around outside for a bit. Nice work there. :golfclap:

The last tech demo map has some rather ugly bugs that I cannot fix because the map canvas. is too large for WDC to load. So if you saw awful looking squares of solid color on the floor or ceiling in certain areas, that's why. I made the entire map in one sitting on a 256x256 canvas (the main area is 64x64, the boss room and the outside beyond spill over the edge) back when WDC could not save or load maps larger than 64x64, and when Adam Biser fixed the bug preventing it from loading large maps, he also cut the maximum canvas size to 180x180 because of limits to the maximum size of a chunk in GAMEMAPS. So I can never go back and edit that map.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 7, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IERu70a6NXs

Surprisingly haunting cover of Wolf 3D's main menu theme.

That one's pretty cool. Here's a remix of the same theme that was done a while ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbLY1m_9t0g

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Commander Keenan posted:

Am I gonna have to pay money to get my beautiful gibs back, or will it be free?

Probably won't be free, but it will definitely be very cheap. Still too far out to know for sure yet.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Woolie Wool posted:

The last tech demo map has some rather ugly bugs that I cannot fix because the map canvas (Adam Biser reduced the maximum size of maps in WDC from 256x256 to 180x180, while fixing the bug that prevented oversized maps from being loaded at all. Map09 of the tech demo was literally made in a single sitting). is too large for WDC to load. So if you saw awful looking squares of solid color on the floor or ceiling in certain areas, that's why. I made the entire map in one sitting on a 256x256 canvas (the main area is 64x64, the boss room and the outside beyond spill over the edge) back when WDC could not save or load maps larger than 64x64, and when Adam Biser fixed the bug preventing it from loading large maps, he also cut the maximum canvas size to 180x180 because of limits to the maximum size of a chunk in GAMEMAPS. So I can never go back and edit that map.

Daaamn. Well it's a good map, and I actually didn't notice anything particularly jarring about it. Also THANK you for replacing the chaingun with the MG42. I fuckin' love that gun.

Has anyone ever got Mortyr (the first one) to run on modern machines? I unironically enjoy the poo poo out of that game but it runs at insanely fast speeds.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Duke's one-liners make things more fun, but the character himself isn't vital for DN3D. The gameplay and map design is still solid, Duke Talk or no Duke Talk.

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

LilWhiteMouse. Now please, kindly shut the gently caress up.
I was actually surprised it took as long as this for someone to come up with a single such specified modder.

So there's one out of thousands now. Totally not a cishet white sausage party.

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Whose alt are you? Nobody sane has an alt account they use solely to troll the Early FPS thread.
I'm not an alt, this is my only SA account.

Jakcson posted:

Blame the people not in the group for not making enough of an effort to be in the group. I seriously doubt that the tools and knowledge are being hidden from minorities just because the Doom community (allegedly) hates them.
Sure, it's the disadvantaged person's fault for being disadvantaged. How dare they not bootstrap themselves into fully understanding the proprietary code of (G)ZDoom!

Jakcson posted:

I mean, most of this stuff is well documented, and, well, anyone can jump in if they want to.
For the latest features the wiki is out of date, and good loving luck finding someone willing to explain things to you if you're female, trans* or a PoC.

Jakcson posted:

Of course, if what you are really trying to say is that you think it is too difficult for minorities and women to program for (g)zdoom, then maybe you should consider taking the code for zdoom and create a fork with severely dumbed down code for modders.
Holy poo poo. I have no words for this.

Jakcson posted:

On an unrelated note, I really do hope Sgt Mark IV releases Brutal Doom on schedule this time. (And on a vaguely related note to that, I don't think Sgt Mark IV was the one that put a dark skinned chaingunner in Doom II. So who is more racist, Sgt Mark IV for making a racist comment about a Doom II enemy, or Id Software for giving you the ability to simulate murdering black people in the first place? Chicken and/or the egg, fo sheezy.)
Having a PoC in the game as an enemy isn't racist, unless the game's enemies have a disproportionate amount of PoC.
Sgt. Mark IV is still the racist.

Woolie Wool posted:

He's the Samsara ACS coder.
I've never done any ACS for Samsara.

Segmentation Fault posted:

And a brogrammer pissbaby by his own admission. Interesting...
And the information you're going on is completely incorrect. Great job.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's really weird how hostile this thread got at the suggestion that maybe we should try to get more people who aren't white or hispanic dudes into the community. :psyduck:
I agree, it's astounding the instant vitriol and backlash such a simple suggestion has spawned.

Arivia posted:

Brogramming is a real issue though. Startup culture is becoming really chauvinist and based around male models of competition, and that isn't a good thing. See Ellen Pao's lawsuit for just one example, or Shanley Kane's work.
This. It's impossible to find a job as a software engineer as a female or PoC anywhere.

The only way around that is if you're not a non-US citizen and you take a 60% pay cut and sign your life away to the company you work for where your future is entirely in the hands of your employer and your employment (and work visa) can be terminated on a moment's notice. (Yes, this is perfectly legal in the US in 2015.) Better agree to work overtime for free and work at the bosses house and endure sexual abuse/harassment and don't think about reporting anything or else your employer will send you back to India to be gangraped by men (and a government) who think having been to the US makes you a western s*** and thus free to be raped in the town square in broad daylight without any repercussion. And this is on top of the normal difficulties, harassment and dismissal women and PoC face in tech, which is arguably worse.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's more of a Silicon Valley or Social Media company problem then general startup culture or programming culture worldwide.
Nice deflection. It is pervasive and worldwide, and it affects the (G)ZDoom modding scene.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Arivia posted:

Brogramming is a real issue though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBS1rbE_VJo

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Scroton you do realizing that the people making comments about "dumbed down code" are making fun of you, not women, right? They're accusing you of patronizing women Doomers.

BTW, Randy Randi Heit may now identify as female (I'm not sure anyone knows for certain).

P.S. your "gangrape" comment was extremely xenophobic and if you want to be an SJ activist you're not doing a very good job.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 7, 2015

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

Scroton you do realizing that the people making comments about "dumbed down code" are making fun of you, not women, right? They're accusing you of patronizing women Doomers.
Yes, but the suggestion itself was pretty loving misogynist.
And no, I'm not patronizing women Doomers; I'm saying that ANYONE would be hard pressed to enter the (G)ZDoom modding community without help and support above and beyond the universally available resources. The difference is that extra assistance is extended to cishet whiteguys but not anyone else.

Woolie Wool posted:

BTW, Randy Randi Heit may now identify as female (I'm not sure anyone knows for certain).
I didn't actually know that.
BTW if you bothered to look at that thread beyond a cursory glance trying to find "ammo" to argue with, you would have realized that she does identify as female.

Woolie Wool posted:

P.S. your "gangrape" comment was extremely xenophobic
Sure, highlighting the actual issues faced by women in India is extremely xenophobic.
Pointing out the patriarchal mentality of India and the pervasive idea that women are girls are either "good girls" that do everything in accordance with tradition and never ever think about bettering themselves or stepping out of line, or westernized s**** that are trash and free to be abused by all is even more xenophobic.
Explaining out how foreign workers from impoverished nations here on work visas are routinely abused by corporations and constantly threatened with the prospect of summarily losing their jobs and the home they've lived in for 10, 15, even 20 years while the corporation knows full well what sending them back means is also insanely xenophobic.
How loving dare I.

EDIT:

Woolie Wool posted:

Randy Randi Heit
Wow, you just had to twist that loving knife, didn't you? loving transphobe.

scroton_ fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 7, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I was actually referred to the thread by someone else, I do not normally browse selfie threads of any kind.

And as for the talk of gang-rape, your Western privilege is showing. No really, it is. You, spoiled Westerner, are getting up on your high horse to judge a country that's been ruthlessly exploited by western countries, especially the Anglophone world, for three hundred years. Most of India's social problems were CAUSED by people like us, so we can shut the gently caress up and let Indians handle the work of fixing India's social issues instead of riding with our white man's burden to "help" them with the problems that we gave them.

You suck at this social justice thing, go back to Tumblr and read for while, maybe someday you'll be able to put up more than a shoddy cargo cult imitation of real social justice concern.

P.S. It's somehow transphobic to acknowledge that Randi Heit once spelled her name differently, especially when I wasn't sure about her actual identity and was deliberately being ambiguous? Now I think you're just loving with us. Especially after you "protested" the banning of Sergeant Mk IV, who was an outrageous bigot.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 7, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Thanks to the recent turn this thread has taken, I feel extreme guilt killing female enemies in FPS games. I have to pause and take a shower after beating the Harpy wave in Serious Sam: The First Encounter's Metropolis map because of how many innocent and objectified women I killed. That part makes me realize that I am the real sexist pig and that Sam is just propaganda for toxic masculinity.

I'll tell you more about my High School-level analysis of sexism in FPS games after I learn and misuse some more gender-related academic jargon I gleaned from a friend on Twitter.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm pretty sure Scroton is incapable of understanding irony or jokes or not taking anything at the most obvious, face level. Just loving ignore him.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

I'm pretty sure Scroton is incapable of understanding irony or jokes or not taking anything at the most obvious, face level. Just loving ignore him.

But I must fight for the women online to look good to other nerd males to show what a caring person I am, even if it is obviously a troll!

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

As a woman who plays video games and has made bad mods before, please shut the gently caress up.

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

And as for the talk of gang-rape, your Western privilege is showing. No really, it is. You, spoiled Westerner, are getting up on your high horse to judge a country that's been ruthlessly exploited by western countries, especially the Anglophone world, for three hundred years. Most of India's social problems were CAUSED by people like us, so we can shut the gently caress up and let Indians handle the work of fixing India's social issues instead of riding with our white man's burden to "help" them with the problems that we gave them.
And where did I once suggest that it was the the "white man's burden to help them with social issues"?

I am pointing out that US corporations are basically throwing foreign workers down a well, regardless of who created that well in the first place.

And if we are going to talk about India, then yes we ARE obligated to help them, but not in the dumbfuck colonialist way you're suggesting; help can and should be given in the form of monetary support to movements and causes created and spearheaded by Indians themselves--look at the Grameen Bank for an example.

To just throw your hands up in the air and say "well, our colonialism that went on for hundreds of years sure hosed you up good, we'd love to help out but it'd be colonialist of us to do so in any way shape or form conceivable so we're just going to do absolutely loving nothing instead" is a giant cop-out and a cheap way to use boolean thinking to your own benefit. gently caress you.

Woolie Wool posted:

P.S. It's somehow transphobic to acknowledge that Randi Heit once spelled her name differently, especially when I wasn't sure about her actual identity and was deliberately being ambiguous?
Yes, it is. Her name as it currently appears is "Randi," so you should have left it at that. You're a transphobe.

Woolie Wool posted:

Especially after you "protested" the banning of Sergeant Mk IV, who was an outrageous bigot.
If you're referring to the posts I think you're referring to then I was actually protesting that he wasn't banned sooner.

closeted republican posted:

Thanks to the recent turn this thread has taken, I feel extreme guilt killing female enemies in FPS games. I have to pause and take a shower after beating the Harpy wave in Serious Sam: The First Encounter's Metropolis map because of how many innocent and objectified women I killed. That part makes me realize that I am the real sexist pig and that Sam is just propaganda for toxic masculinity.

I'll tell you more about my High School-level analysis of sexism in FPS games after I learn and misuse some more gender-related academic jargon I gleaned from a friend on Twitter.
Where did I once talk about sexism in games? In any game?

I'm waiting.

But no, please, keep pretending I said things I never said if it makes you feel better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm saying that by making such categorical statements on Indian culture you are actively impeding their healing process. You are making things worse and feeding stereotypes about the developing world that cater to white westerners' superiority complex (well we don't rape women on trains, we rape them in college dorms instead :smug:). Indian gender politics are not about you, and they're especially not about invoking racist, xenophobic stereotypes of the behavior of Indian men. Shut up.

And no, I'm not suggesting we "help India in a dumbfuck colonialist way", I think they have to sort gender issues out themselves and the best thing we can do is let them do it.

BTW, you do realize that "Randy Heit" is still used for the name on commits, right? Blzut3, who actually works with her on the dev team, is unsure what her gender identity really is or whether the "Randy Heit" identity ever existed in the first place. It's not clear-cut like you seem to think it is--she has always been cagey about her real identity. If your only charge is "insufficient certainty" then just gently caress right off, you self-righteous piece of poo poo. You suck at this. You absolutely suck elephant balls at social justice activism.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mods rename me INDIAN GENDER POLITICS

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this dude is a really obvious troll can we just go back to sperging about our wasted youths

scroton_
Nov 12, 2014

Can't post for 6 days!

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm saying that by making such categorical statements on Indian culture you are actively impeding their healing process. You are making things worse and feeding stereotypes about the developing world that cater to white westerners' superiority complex (well we don't rape women on trains, we rape them in college dorms instead :smug:). Indian gender politics are not about you, and they're especially not about invoking racist, xenophobic stereotypes of the behavior of Indian men. Shut up.
I never suggested that it was about me. I brought it up because it is an actual issue that affects women in tech, which is what the discussion was about. Whether or not you want to acknowledge it, western corporations take advantage of workers here on work visas, and it is a routine, 100% legal occurrence.

Next time I dare to bring up an issue I'll make sure the list all other issues in the entire world alongside it, so that this sort of misunderstanding doesn't happen again. Please forgive my indiscretion this time.

Woolie Wool posted:

And no, I'm not suggesting we "help India in a dumbfuck colonialist way", I think they have to sort gender issues out themselves and the best thing we can do is let them do it.
Sure, doing absolutely loving nothing is miles better than actively colonizing and ruling over India. But I bet if we put on our thinking caps and thought real hard we could come up with a way that would allow us to assist existing social and economic reform movements in India through organizations created by Indians from afar without installing ourselves as leaders. If only there were some way to transfer wealth across great distances in such a way as to allow the recipients to easily direct that wealth towards what they decided was best.

Ah, well, can't think of anything. We'll just let them rot in the mess we created in the first place--it's sure better than killing millions of Indians and raping the country of it's resources and labor.

Woolie Wool posted:

BTW, you do realize that "Randy Heit" is still used for the name on commits, right? Blzut3, who actually works with her on the dev team, is unsure what her gender identity really is or whether the "Randy Heit" identity ever existed in the first place. It's not clear-cut like you seem to think it is--she has always been cagey about her real identity. If your only charge is "insufficient certainty" then just gently caress right off, you self-righteous piece of poo poo.
While I wasn't aware of that, there was no reason to include the strikethrough in your post--it could not possibly elucidate the situation no matter what gender she identified as. It's only purpose was to draw attention to the fact that she didn't always identify as the gender she currently identifies--in other words, a transphobic remark.

Woolie Wool posted:

You suck at this. You absolutely suck elephant balls at social justice activism.
Coming from someone that intentionally outed a transwoman to win an unrelated internet argument that's really rich.

If I do suck at social justice activism, at least I can take solace in the fact that I'm still miles better at it than you are.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The fan-run Quake facebook page shared some pictures of an Arabian/ikwhite map done in Quake 1, and :holymoley:

It's due for release on the 8th! Can't wait to fire up Quake again and try this out.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

this dude is a really obvious troll can we just go back to sperging about our wasted youths

this

please do not interact with scroton anymore dudes and dudettes or we'll have another "fishmech thinks cheats are an innate gameplay mechanic" type clusterfuck that goes on for another 30 pages

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

M.Ciaster posted:

this

please do not interact with scroton anymore dudes and dudettes or we'll have another "fishmech thinks cheats are an innate gameplay mechanic" type clusterfuck that goes on for another 30 pages

just thinking about that derail gave me a good gut laugh, holy poo poo

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The fan-run Quake facebook page shared some pictures of an Arabian/ikwhite map done in Quake 1, and :holymoley:

It's due for release on the 8th! Can't wait to fire up Quake again and try this out.

Oh drat, that's absolutely beautiful.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So E2M2 will make it to the final round of Linguica's silly contest. I hope it'll win the final showdown by one single vote, once again. At this point it seems like the best possible outcome.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

spongeh posted:

Probably won't be free, but it will definitely be very cheap. Still too far out to know for sure yet.

Cool. Thanks for the reply!

Outstanding! It looks like a Q3 DeFRaG map.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Scroton get hosed by a fully decorated Christmas tree tia

catlord posted:

Oh drat, that's absolutely beautiful.

For real! :vince:

Y'know Quake gets a lot of poo poo for consisting of only various shades of brown, but I was always impressed by how each episode felt fairly unique. Also this is sacrilige but I don't really like Quake 1's weapons :( I'm kind of boring when it comes to weapons in FPS games. I like the standard lineup (pistol, shotgun, rifle, rawket lawnchair, etc) and then an equal set of "exotic" guns. Freeze rays, whatever. One of the reasons why I couldn't get into Prey. The guns are just so bleauwgh :barf:

I know I must be fun at parties v:shobon:v

So this is something I'm sure is common knowledge but I just found out that Rise of the Triad was originally supposed to be a sequel to Wolfenstein. The art assets that were made looked pretty neat:

The story was:

"Original ROTT Story posted:

After the fall of Hitler, the true powers behind him have drawn into seclusion, planning their next strategy for world domination. Three large corporations guided Hitler as a puppet, and now plan the subjugation of the planet to their organization, the Triad.

Their new plan: having developed nuclear weapons and new V-3 rockets to carry them, they plan to get a stranglehold on the world with the threat of Armageddon.

I'll be honest, I would have preferred this to what we got. ROTT is dope(fish) and all but any excuse for BJ to go on more adventures is a-ok in my book.

I really dig the poo poo out of the machinegun and chaingun pickup sprites. If I was ever gonna make a Wolf 3D mod I'd make this.

More info: http://legacy.3drealms.com/rott/originalspec.html

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 7, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cat Mattress posted:

So E2M2 will make it to the final round of Linguica's silly contest. I hope it'll win the final showdown by one single vote, once again. At this point it seems like the best possible outcome.

Who in gently caress's name voted for Containment Area over Computer Station? Is this some kind of sick joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
http://ianmaclarty.itch.io/doomdream

quote:

Doomdream
An impression of my dreams after I've been playing Doom all day.

Controls: WASD or arrow keys to move, mouse to look, ESC to quit.

There is no combat or ending. Just run around until you get bored.

:catdrugs:

Its just a fun little demo, you don't shoot as far as I can tell just kinda running around this strange voxel world.

I really like the idea of exploring dreams or a dream-like space in FPS games.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 7, 2015