Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Metropolis Zone

Not enough dickhead robot starfishes or mantises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I remember that was posted in the thread before the trial started. Apparently the jurors were warned that the defense would claim it was a deliberate suicide.

New USCSB video. Snazzy soundtrack too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_icf-5uoZbc

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Hahaha, "suicide" by oven, that takes some balls to argue. I'd rather straight up light myself on fire then get stuck in an oven like that.

Here's the money shot for the article:

quote:

there were “a number of serious failings in the design of this and other moulding ovens”, which had been designed and commissioned in-house.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 26, 2015

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
Here's a road construction worker I just drove by...

Hard hat and camouflage jacket? While the excavator driver has a high-vis jacket? :confused:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

cyberbug posted:

Here's a road construction worker I just drove by...

Hard hat and camouflage jacket? While the excavator driver has a high-vis jacket? :confused:

Not even normal camo, it's urban camo, perfect for blending into a construction site.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yeah boss, I didn't take a three hour lunch, you just didn't see me standing there

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Spookydonut posted:

Not even normal camo, it's urban camo, perfect for blending into a construction site.

I always had the same reaction whenever I saw a biker go by in all urban camo. Yes, let's blend in with the surroundings while riding a death machine!

(though I confess my cold weather gear was gray, though I had a red helmet)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

It's not a real emergency unless somebody has to use superhuman adrenaline strength to bludgeon that cabinet open. Working as intended :colbert:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Crash_N_Burn posted:

The guys name was Dave Bocks. Now im going to go rewatch the episode.

That's the one. Didn't know there was an Unsolved Mysteries episode about him so I'ma go watch that myself now.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

deadly_pudding posted:

It's not a real emergency unless somebody has to use superhuman adrenaline strength to bludgeon that cabinet open. Working as intended :colbert:

Reminds me of that France airplane crash. Lock the cabin door and hear the other pilot trying to beat down the door before it crashes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Harold Lloyd was OSHA as gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEcTjhUN_7U

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

deadly_pudding posted:

What would you do if your fire extinguishers kept getting stolen?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Carbon dioxide posted:

That drat video link plays an ad and THEN mentions the vid isn't available in my country.

I mean I can watch it with a proxy but that's loving annoying website design.

Sorry about that; that's one site that I won't send others too in the future.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
so how long has the mop bucket + mop been unable to slip people :(

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Savage the thief with my superhuman emergency strength. Listen, my entire workplace safety plan is built around that story about a lady who lifted a car to save her baby.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I'm trying to decide which is more likely, being the end of a hilarious real world telephone game where a "tamper proof enclosure" was specified and that poo poo happened instead of more popular commercially available options or even just replacing the lock with a purpose made plastic seal, or because the extinguishers were actually getting stolen, at least locally - fire codes and insurance require permanent extinguishers at certain places so those are usually placed off limits for incidental protection purposes like hot work in favor of maintenance departments having a store of portable extinguishers and requiring contractors to provide their own.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Proclick right here!

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

peter gabriel posted:

Harold Lloyd was OSHA as gently caress

Yyyuuuuup:

"Haunted Spooks (1920). During filming, actor and comedian Harold Lloyd picked up what he thought was a prop bomb with the fuse lit but realized too late the bomb was real. It detonated, blowing off the thumb and first finger of his right hand and also temporarily blinded him. For the rest of his career, Lloyd concealed his missing fingers with a prosthetic glove."

More stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_accidents

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Pingiivi posted:

Yyyuuuuup:

"Haunted Spooks (1920). During filming, actor and comedian Harold Lloyd picked up what he thought was a prop bomb with the fuse lit but realized too late the bomb was real. It detonated, blowing off the thumb and first finger of his right hand and also temporarily blinded him. For the rest of his career, Lloyd concealed his missing fingers with a prosthetic glove."

More stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_accidents

I saw this in a documentary like 15 years ago and I hope I remember the details right:

Angels With Dirty Faces had a scene that James Cagney refused to do. In the scene, he was to be firing out a window at the cops below, who were firing back at him with Thompson sub-machineguns. As this was before Blanks really came into use in movie production, standard ammunition was used. The director wanted them shooting at each other (while deliberately missing, of course). The idea was that the cops would shoot at the outside wall around the window, which would have looked spectacular, but missing Cagney. Instead of shooting the scene the way the director wanted it, Cagney fired 'at' the cops and dove out of the way before they fired back. This was fortunate as there were dozens of bullet holes in the wall behind where he was standing as well as the outside of the building. As you may imagine, firing a machinegun at someone isn't quite the precise operation popular media would have you believe.

Also it's funny seeing Humphrey Bogart get smacked around as a bit character is great.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

I remember that was posted in the thread before the trial started. Apparently the jurors were warned that the defense would claim it was a deliberate suicide.

New USCSB video. Snazzy soundtrack too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_icf-5uoZbc

These videos are so captivating to me. They're starting to make cgi recreations of industrial accidents a bizarre addiction for me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Atmus posted:

I saw this in a documentary like 15 years ago and I hope I remember the details right:

Angels With Dirty Faces had a scene that James Cagney refused to do. In the scene, he was to be firing out a window at the cops below, who were firing back at him with Thompson sub-machineguns. As this was before Blanks really came into use in movie production, standard ammunition was used. The director wanted them shooting at each other (while deliberately missing, of course). The idea was that the cops would shoot at the outside wall around the window, which would have looked spectacular, but missing Cagney. Instead of shooting the scene the way the director wanted it, Cagney fired 'at' the cops and dove out of the way before they fired back. This was fortunate as there were dozens of bullet holes in the wall behind where he was standing as well as the outside of the building. As you may imagine, firing a machinegun at someone isn't quite the precise operation popular media would have you believe.

Also it's funny seeing Humphrey Bogart get smacked around as a bit character is great.

I think only one bullet passed through where his head would be, but you're correct: Cagney nearly got shot to death, and it was distressingly common for live ammo to be used. This wasn't due to a lack of blanks, but actually a lack of squibs to simulate bullet hits on cue. Squibs today are remotely activated, but in the first half of the 20th century you didn't really have anything like that. So they just fired real bullets at surfaces to get the effect of them being shot.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=058_1427382403
Man dies trying to unclog drain.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"Yep, it was live."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCQEc736GO4

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LethalGeek posted:

"Yep, it was live."
*sends out Three Phase beacon so he can tell us exactly how deadly that is*

I'm guessing very deadly.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

CannonFodder posted:

*sends out Three Phase beacon so he can tell us exactly how deadly that is*

I'm guessing very deadly.

if you touch the end of that cut cable it will look exactly like on the label

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

VectorSigma posted:

My black shirt will get a kickass lightning shaped splotch of white paint splashed on it?

Awesome. :cool:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

chitoryu12 posted:

I think only one bullet passed through where his head would be, but you're correct: Cagney nearly got shot to death, and it was distressingly common for live ammo to be used. This wasn't due to a lack of blanks, but actually a lack of squibs to simulate bullet hits on cue. Squibs today are remotely activated, but in the first half of the 20th century you didn't really have anything like that. So they just fired real bullets at surfaces to get the effect of them being shot.

Vic Morrows and two kids were killed during the filming of a Twilight Zone movie. The chopper was hit by some debris from some pyrotechnics they were firing off and crashed. I think it took Vic and one of the Child's heads off and the other drown I believe. I think that was the incident that ended up causing a shitload of regulations to be written regarding stunts in film.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VectorSigma posted:

I'm sorry but the label is damaged and I cannot properly follow the incomplete instructions.
"Death or serious injury could result in superpowers" might be what that warning label says, but I don't know because it's damaged and I have no concept of context clues.

dr_rat posted:

My black shirt will get a kickass lightning shaped splotch of white paint splashed on it?

Awesome. :cool:
EXACTLY

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

chitoryu12 posted:

only one bullet passed through where his head would be

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Poizen Jam posted:

Here's an absolutely bizarre trend found throughout the Canadian province of Newfoundland: The Mother in Law Door

Elsewhere a 2nd floor door without a deck is OSHA. In my home province, it's a way of life. Also has an awesome name too.

Here's a taste of the wonders found inside my link:

My grandparents house was like that [St. Anthony], except they never bothered with the 2nd door and the fire enforcement code was never really enforced in rural communities.

"Mother in Law doors" all over the place. I know with the new house my folks help built for my grandparents in 1988, had 3 doors, main front, basement side and a rear door out of the kitchen to .. 1 story up above the backyard.
The rear deck of which was never really built out until a few years ago.

I'm seeing new home construction in St. John's/Mount Pearl suburbs that still have the same stupid layouts... you figure for $500,000 [What housing bubble :v: ] you could incorporate something with a better layout.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Since the Schadenfreude thread moves too fast, I have to point this out here.

Say Nothing is a national fuckin' treasure of SA.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I aim to please.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Say Nothing posted:

I aim to please.

I've always wondered what would happen if a fat tried doing that.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Volcott posted:

They would lose a lot of weight very quickly.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Volcott posted:

Few hundred feet of well-lubricated rails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
I work doing graphics and decaling including vehicle wraps. Had a guy come in with his shiny new hydraulic dumping trailer. Sales guy had promised we could wrap the whole thing no problem (including all the various control, pinch point and moving surfaces warning labels). I am of course not told about this and left them uncovered because, duh, they're safety and warning labels! Sales guy tells me to cover them. I refuse. He gets the big boss man who takes one look and fires the sales guy on the spot who had done this crap before.

You'd be surprised how many people request such things. Including a mural in an international airport and the local contact wanted the graphics to wrap the 'Break Glass' extinguisher box because the design had a logo of a local sponsor on it.

• Locked thread