Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Probably not until days before release (so the ~21st).

Probably, although there's at least a chance they might release the embargo a day or so before the preorder happens on the 10th. I know with iPhones they've been letting reviews come out between the presale and the device being released, but iPhones sell themselves these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
The appointment only thing is a pain, but there's absolutely nothing else Apple could do to solve the problem of letting people who actually might buy one try them on in some sort of comfortable environment. In every single Apple store I've ever been in you can't even try out an iPad or MacBook, because literally every single one they have is always being used by either some random mouthbreather acting like they've never seen a device with a screen before, or some ten year old hovering over them playing games or taking selfies or whatever. Imagine if you walked in to look at a watch and every demo unit was attached to someone else's wrist and then attached to some table, with a bunch of other people crowded around it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Goon's hating social interaction, imagine that.

Did you see that little training module that was posted on 9to5mac?

quote:

Employees have been told to make comments such as “you seem to have a fun style. I think the Pink Sport band would match your style perfectly,” or “the white strap looks great on you.”
http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/24/apple-sales-overhaul-apple-watch-fashion/

Sounds excruciating.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

Sounds excruciating.
Sounds like normal human interaction in a retail environment, actually.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

smackfu posted:

Sounds excruciating.

Oh no, another human might give me a compliment while trying to sell me something :ohdear:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Sounds like normal human interaction in a retail environment, actually.

Which largely are terrible experiences. I have no problem talking with knowledgeable employees about products that I need information for, but that generally isn't the case. More frequently, you get stuck with a salesperson who is uneducated/pushy.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
"I'm sure I'll have this for years."

:v:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

That is definitely what normal shopping for fashion / clothing items in a boutique retail environment sounds like.

Sorry basement dwellers who shop online and would find normal human interaction in a retail environment to be "excruciating".

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

IuniusBrutus posted:

Which largely are terrible experiences. I have no problem talking with knowledgeable employees about products that I need information for, but that generally isn't the case. More frequently, you get stuck with a salesperson who is uneducated/pushy.
Excruciating. I'm sweating just thinking about it.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Even buying a watch at Costco requires an employee hover with you.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

zen death robot posted:

Talks about "normal human interaction" while also bitching about "mouth breathers" and children in the Apple Store at the mall. Good poo poo.

Woah, nice use of bold there. How provocative. I did say that children and idiots constantly hog all the demo units of every product at every Apple store. What's your point? :allears:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

My point is that you're kind of a weird fucker to get uptight about other shoppers getting in the way of buying your gadget 10 minutes sooner.
Except that's not what he said. He said that Apple is doing the appointment thing for the Apple Watch because otherwise the device would have a bunch of random kids and other people with no intention of actually buying one using it. While the whole appointment thing isn't ideal, there's a reason for it. And that reason is that it's probably a much better demo experience than simply having the device tethered to the table like the usually do.

Did you even read the quote you're complaining about?

monkeu posted:

The appointment only thing is a pain, but there's absolutely nothing else Apple could do to solve the problem of letting people who actually might buy one try them on in some sort of comfortable environment. In every single Apple store I've ever been in you can't even try out an iPad or MacBook, because literally every single one they have is always being used by either some random mouthbreather acting like they've never seen a device with a screen before, or some ten year old hovering over them playing games or taking selfies or whatever. Imagine if you walked in to look at a watch and every demo unit was attached to someone else's wrist and then attached to some table, with a bunch of other people crowded around it.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

zen death robot posted:

My point is that you're kind of a weird fucker to get uptight about other shoppers getting in the way of buying your gadget 10 minutes sooner.

I'm not uptight about it, it's just a fact of life that every Apple store is always packed, often with people who clearly have no intention of actually buying the products they're standing around using. Hence my acknowledgement that appointment-only sales of the watch are a pain, but the only practical solution.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

So just tell the Apple store person that you don't need help and you're just trying the thing on? Also, I'm not sure what kinds of Apple Stores you guys do your shopping in, but I've been in 4-5 of them around the US and never, not once, had one of the employees feel in any way pushy or try to annoyingly upsell me.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gentleman, as you know, the choice of fedora that one dons to the Apple Store is not one to be made lightly. Thus honor would be served if my fellow compatriots could take a moment assess the selection below and leave their comments as to which would be most appropriate for this most serious endeavor:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
In other news, I just put in my application for a part-time job at the mall.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/06/tim-cook-apple-employee-watch-discounts/

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

shodanjr_gr posted:

So just tell the Apple store person that you don't need help and you're just trying the thing on? Also, I'm not sure what kinds of Apple Stores you guys do your shopping in, but I've been in 4-5 of them around the US and never, not once, had one of the employees feel in any way pushy or try to annoyingly upsell me.

Apparently I find the stores that often have as many employees as customers in the store at the same time. I've had the pushy thing in all stores I've been in except for one, and this is across 7 states.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
The whole appointment thing is less for trying on the product and more to make people feel exclusive for wanting one/add to the marketing value of the Apple Watch being awesome and totally worth having.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Thousands of people will try them on. I hope you like lurgies.

Mr Funkface fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 7, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The whole appointment thing is less for trying on the product and more to make people feel exclusive for wanting one/add to the marketing value of the Apple Watch being awesome and totally worth having.
Nah, it's to allow people to try on the device and experience its features so they can decide if they want to purchase it.

EDIT: The only reason dealerships allow people to test drive cars is to make them feel exclusive and add to the marketing value of the car. :pseudo101:

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Nah, it's to allow people to try on the device and experience its features so they can decide if they want to purchase it.

EDIT: The only reason dealerships allow people to test drive cars is to make them feel exclusive and add to the marketing value of the car. :pseudo101:

Hmmmm yes, a difference being that you can test drive a 20,000 dollar car without making an appointment but heaven forbid you want to try on a $450 watch without calling ahead of time.

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 7, 2015

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Zero appointments under Steve.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Hmmmm yes, a difference being that you can test drive a 20,000 dollar car without making an appointment but heaven forbid you want to try on a $450 watch without calling ahead of time.

Show me a car lot that has even 1/10th of the people you would find in your average Apple store, all of whom are looking to try the same new vehicle.

Apple stores are going to be slammed, even more so than usual. Obviously they want to control that. Do you also think it's stupid that you have to schedule an appointment with a Genius to get your computer looked at? I sure don't, since it made getting in and out of a store that had 100 people in it much easier than it would have been otherwise.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
You can walk in and try on a $5-10k Rolex, no reason you shouldn't be able to do the same with an apple watch.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

rear end Catchcum posted:

Zero appointments under Steve.

Terrible comparison. Under Steve, most of the iPhone launches were absolute debacles which would have taken effort to make worse. Slow, inaccessible carrier sites. Apple's own store website getting pummeled and being easier to access from the mobile version of the site. I'm sure there are even worse stories that I can't remember.

Every single time, every single year. Except maybe in 2007 when dumb phones and Blackberries were still pervasive and everyone thought the idea of an iPhone was a failure waiting to happen.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

blugu64 posted:

You can walk in and try on a $5-10k Rolex, no reason you shouldn't be able to do the same with an apple watch.

If over the course of a day the Rolex store expected to get 3000 people wanting to try on a Rolex, I'd be certain they would make you schedule an appointment.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

blugu64 posted:

I can't tell if you're being facetious here or not but jewelry stores don't have dozens of people in them at all times wanting to try on a Rolex.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
So if you guys were getting this 50% discount would you still get the model you were originally looking at or would you spring for something more expensive?

I really like the stainless steel with black leather band but I feel like the smarter decision is the space grey sport with black band. I've got a little baby that I'm always getting into messes with and constantly washing stuff so I'm thinking it wouldn't be smart to go for leather.

Thoughts?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shampy posted:

So if you guys were getting this 50% discount would you still get the model you were originally looking at or would you spring for something more expensive?

I really like the stainless steel with black leather band but I feel like the smarter decision is the space grey sport with black band. I've got a little baby that I'm always getting into messes with and constantly washing stuff so I'm thinking it wouldn't be smart to go for leather.

Thoughts?
My current plan is space gray sport w/milanese loop, so $500-550 depending what size I get. If I could get half off I'd consider the space black stainless instead just cause that's the one I really want, but can't justify the big rear end price jump to space black at the regular prices, particularly considering it's a first generation device. But half off, hey I'll go stupid, spend more to save more :downs:

And as far as appointments I've seen sites saying they'll do walk ins with a wait, but I imagine that might be a long wait in the early days.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Shampy posted:

Thoughts?

I'm going the 42 mm stainless steel with the black leather loop for day to day wear, and buying a green sport strap for when I exercise with it.

My pie in the sky is the all black stainless steel, but I really can't justify the extra cash for it. Maybe when I upgrade to the third gen or whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
If the store isn't busy, you get to try on the watch immediately. If it's busy, you make an appointment because there's no one there to grab one for you. This is such an easy thing to grasp.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shampy posted:

Thoughts?

I feel like if you have that discount and you're working retail you take the opportunity to get the more expensive model. There will always be a Sport available at an affordable price.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If anyone apple employees read this thread and don't plan on using their discount I would be very interested in working something out.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

If anyone apple employees read this thread and don't plan on using their discount I would be very interested in working something out.

After all that poo poo talking from you, you're looking to buy an intentionally crippled first gen useless smart watch from Apple??

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I tell you what the heart rate monitor is going to explode when I see the price tag on that thing

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

You're my favorite poster ever

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This looks amazing. I probably won't buy an Apple Watch after all. Great find!

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

Angela Ahrendts posted:

The Apple Store app and our online store make it much easier to purchase Apple Watch and the new MacBook. ... This is a significant change in mindset, and we need your help to make it happen. Tell your customers we have more availability online, and show them how easy it is to order. You'll make their day.
http://www.businessinsider.com/angela-ahrendts-says-a-significant-change-in-mindset-to-launching-apple-watch-online-2015-4

I'm really surprised Apple would tell customers to leave and use the online store instead. They've been saying the retail store is the best experience for buying their products for years, even when it's had hours long waits on product launches. They've offered pre-orders, but only when they were essentially forced after insane lines for the 3G and 3GS. They clearly wanted everyone possible to use the store.

Are they just facing reality that an uncrowded retail store may be better than the online experience, but they don't have uncrowded stores?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ Too many SKUs to stock every store well. That's my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's exactly that. They'll carry some in the store, but with 30 SKUs of Watch not even counting the Edition editions and six different MacBooks, that's a lot to keep in stock. Hell, I got a 13" MBP and they didn't have the specific one I wanted in stores on launch day (though it appears they do now).

• Locked thread