Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sir Pukesalot posted:

Same but with a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 12.

Get the extended warranty. My wife's gone through about three Thinkpad Yoga 12s worth of motherboards at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No picture because I'm not at home, but my fiancee just called me and told me that somebody threw eggs (can't figure out if it's real egg or plastic eggs, she was pretty hysterical) filled with paint all over her street-parked white Ford Explorer. She did say that there was actual egg all over it, too.

She doesn't work on the weekends, and is a pretty big introvert, so she has no clue as to when it happened. Could have been this morning, could have been Friday night.

I know it's just some vandalism, but I'm pretty pissed and wish I could be at home right now for no reason other than to sit in the back porch with a pistol or something. I've had my poo poo vandalized before (broken window and stolen identity information a few months ago on the Beetle, for instance) but not being there makes everything worse. It's like Liam Neeson's daughter in Taken, but with "innocence" in place of "daughter," and "paranoid violence" in place of "a special set of skills."

And before you get on my about how it's "just a rusty 1998 explorer," I take care of my poo poo and the paint was the best part of that damned suv.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tusen Takk posted:

I've never heard of that lol, I wonder if it's your SIM card or on your carrier or something

actually are you on sprint? that's a known issue of theirs

Normally I'd guess tower data, but:

Terrible Robot posted:

I tried setting the time to manual as well and now it won't advance the time forward at all unless the screen is unlocked, so it just keeps falling farther behind.

Does it still do it in aeroplane mode out of interest?

Phone posted:

I need to go to a framing store to get something framed. Being an adult is weird.

Last time I went to a framing store I took an airsoft AK47 and a hatchet. Quote was over £100 when the guy stopped laughing so he showed me how frames were put together and I made my own at home, made an awesome wedding present that did.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Nidhg00670000 posted:

IIRC you can't get a personal plate in Norway, and like in the rest of Europe the plate follows the car and remains the same from first registration, so... :(

This is correct, but i am importing this car from the UK, the chances of this thing passing inspection to be deemed roadworthy tho...

i have a lot of fabrication ahead of me.

and for thos worried about loosing expensive phones, it sucks, but since its a work phone and its insured so its more of a hassle. I still feel like kinda of an idiot tho

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Get the extended warranty. My wife's gone through about three Thinkpad Yoga 12s worth of motherboards at this point.

:vince: in how long time?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

No picture because I'm not at home, but my fiancee just called me and told me that somebody threw eggs (can't figure out if it's real egg or plastic eggs, she was pretty hysterical) filled with paint all over her street-parked white Ford Explorer. She did say that there was actual egg all over it, too.

She doesn't work on the weekends, and is a pretty big introvert, so she has no clue as to when it happened. Could have been this morning, could have been Friday night.

I know it's just some vandalism, but I'm pretty pissed and wish I could be at home right now for no reason other than to sit in the back porch with a pistol or something. I've had my poo poo vandalized before (broken window and stolen identity information a few months ago on the Beetle, for instance) but not being there makes everything worse. It's like Liam Neeson's daughter in Taken, but with "innocence" in place of "daughter," and "paranoid violence" in place of "a special set of skills."

And before you get on my about how it's "just a rusty 1998 explorer," I take care of my poo poo and the paint was the best part of that damned suv.
I still was annoyed when someone through an egg at my 92 Mazda Protege. Beat up car but still insulting.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I missed device chat, but the best phone I ever had was my iPhone 4S. Everything about it was brilliant for its time and it felt the best as well. The only thing that got me to upgrade to iPhone 5 was LTE. I really wish the iPhone 6 didn't become so thin and drat light. I am forced to buy a case for it (which I have never used on any of my previous 5 iPhones) because the stupid lens sticks out from the back. The thing I enjoy about the 6 is battery life and Slow-mo videos. That is about it.

Finished my cabinet install Friday at like 3:00 AM. Being pedantic about everything being level and bolted together properly makes for a long install. I installed one of those LED shop lights from Costco to the bottom of the upper cabinets and the lighting is perfect. I will get more proper photos done soon. Old 42" flat screen will be mounted on a swivel on the left wall with a spare Apple TV connecting it to everything. Need to hide the wires, etc. I have some race banners to hang up and generally more organizing and filling the cabinets up. Really happy with the work space. It is a 72" long work top. Cannot WAIT to get out there an enjoy it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I missed device chat, but the best phone I ever had was my iPhone 4S. Everything about it was brilliant for its time and it felt the best as well. The only thing that got me to upgrade to iPhone 5 was LTE. I really wish the iPhone 6 didn't become so thin and drat light. I am forced to buy a case for it (which I have never used on any of my previous 5 iPhones) because the stupid lens sticks out from the back. The thing I enjoy about the 6 is battery life and Slow-mo videos. That is about it.

Finished my cabinet install Friday at like 3:00 AM. Being pedantic about everything being level and bolted together properly makes for a long install. I installed one of those LED shop lights from Costco to the bottom of the upper cabinets and the lighting is perfect. I will get more proper photos done soon. Old 42" flat screen will be mounted on a swivel on the left wall with a spare Apple TV connecting it to everything. Need to hide the wires, etc. I have some race banners to hang up and generally more organizing and filling the cabinets up. Really happy with the work space. It is a 72" long work top. Cannot WAIT to get out there an enjoy it.

I would look forward to my cars breaking down if I had a neat little garage like that. Nice!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sir Pukesalot posted:

:vince: in how long time?

We got it in, what, summer of 2013 I think?

To be perfectly fair, two of the replacement motherboards were caused by a faulty universal power adapter. She didn't realize the adapter was keyed, and accidentally plugged it in such that the + to - and - to +. Once I figured that out, I ordered her a replacement Lenovo adapter quickly. The third replacement motherboard *probably* had something to do with a bad RAM chip, but Lenovo shotgunned everything but the keyboard and screen at it.

In all seriousness, their one-business-day in-home-repair accidental-damage-covering warranty is an absolute steal for the number of times we've used it so far.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I missed cattechat though so gently caress it

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

We got it in, what, summer of 2013 I think?

To be perfectly fair, two of the replacement motherboards were caused by a faulty universal power adapter. She didn't realize the adapter was keyed, and accidentally plugged it in such that the + to - and - to +. Once I figured that out, I ordered her a replacement Lenovo adapter quickly. The third replacement motherboard *probably* had something to do with a bad RAM chip, but Lenovo shotgunned everything but the keyboard and screen at it.

In all seriousness, their one-business-day in-home-repair accidental-damage-covering warranty is an absolute steal for the number of times we've used it so far.

I don't know.. For now I think I'll do with the standard 1 yr carry-in.

Edit: Maybe i'll upgrade to a 2 yr carry-in.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're buying consumer laptops, you get what you pay for. I just had to do a repair on an HP Envy since the hinges were loving GLUED to the clam shell.

I bought a MPBr after owning a string of netbooks and using business laptops at work. "Inspiron", "Yoga", and "Envy" can go die in a fire. Lenovo T or X series.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I only buy business class workstations anymore: Precision, Elitebook, etc.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I was really unhappy about having to "upgrade" to the 5C from the 4S, the 5C feels and looks like a cheap piece of poo poo made for tweens. It has held up incredibly well to my general abuse though, much better than the 4S did. I'd take a fully functional but battle-scarred phone over one that still looks brand new but doesn't work properly any day, however.

Cakefool posted:

Does it still do it in aeroplane mode out of interest?

Putting it in airplane mode doesn't seem to make a difference one way or another, it's still randomly gaining and losing time. :sigh:

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Phone posted:

If you're buying consumer laptops, you get what you pay for. I just had to do a repair on an HP Envy since the hinges were loving GLUED to the clam shell.

I bought a MPBr after owning a string of netbooks and using business laptops at work. "Inspiron", "Yoga", and "Envy" can go die in a fire. Lenovo T or X series.

It's actually the ThinkPad-branded mil-spec version of the yoga, so i expect some more durability, not ThinkPad t/x/w-series like, but a lot more then consumer laptops in general. Also :lol::lol::lol: at your HP Envy.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

http://www.theonion.com/articles/engineers-unveil-new-driverless-car-capable-of-com,38358/

piss boner
May 17, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think I'd ever want anything with Hoonigan on it to touch my cars.

On my jeep, all kinds of dumb poo poo.

On the daily, nothing that can easily identify me. :ninja:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I used to be that guy who would egg things for fun back when I had my bus and worked at the movie theaters getting off work after 1am. The last time I did it i'm pretty sure I burnt every last shred of vandalism out of my system because it involved a Safeway sale 10 dozen eggs for 10 dollars, and tryin to keep a straight face checking out at 1:30am with 35 dozen eggs. If I remember correctly it was the same night we filled a random jeep wrangler top to bottom with popcorn.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That poo poo comes right off if you hose it down before it dries in the sun. So anytime in the next decade if you're in the Seattle area, but Geirskogul's pretty much hosed even if it happened at midnight and he found it at 2AM...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My fiancee reports the paint and egg wouldn't come off until she broke out my special carwash tar remover soap I had. It's the same stuff we use at work to remove road grime from the ambulances, and it's pretty nasty on the vinyl wraps, but it does remove nearly everything.

No pictures (her only device is a 1st gen Nexus 7 and a 2012 Galaxy Note 13.1 with a broken rear camera), but she says the areas the egg was on are now "foggy" and matte instead of shiny. And yeah, apparently they had injected the eggs with orange and blue paint and put a small bit of duct tape over the injection hole.

nm posted:

She probably washed all the wax off it. Claybar followed by wax.

I also have some actual wax, along with some polishes, but I think that's too much for her and I won't be back for a few months. I told her to, when she has time, use some soap/wax combo poo poo I have. It's not great, but if done according to the bottle it works pretty well. And a white car hides nearly anything if given a mild shine. I used it on my beetle after polishing and it turned my paintjob from a "I did this in an afternoon with 14 cans of rustoleum pumpkin orange spray paint" to "I did this over two days with rustoleum roll-on pumpkin orange paint."

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 6, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geirskogul posted:

My fiancee reports the paint and egg wouldn't come off until she broke out my special carwash tar remover soap I had. It's the same stuff we use at work to remove road grime from the ambulances, and it's pretty nasty on the vinyl wraps, but it does remove nearly everything.

No pictures (her only device is a 1st gen Nexus 7 and a 2012 Galaxy Note 13.1 with a broken rear camera), but she says the areas the egg was on are now "foggy" and matte instead of shiny.

She probably washed all the wax off it. Claybar followed by wax.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

If I remember correctly it was the same night we filled a random jeep wrangler top to bottom with popcorn.

While the egg part is a complete rear end in a top hat move, this is just funny. I don't think I could be mad if I came back to my car full of popcorn. I never threw eggs at cars, but there was a while where one of my friends had a bunch of paintballs in his car that would get tossed(by hand, never actually firing them) at other cars. We learned our lesson when I was driving the car(with a clutch that was dead, got replaced 2 days later) and one of my friends thought it would be funny to throw some at a new H2. Guy ended up chasing us down and eventually caught up to us on a side street where I was blocked by another car and proceeded to get out of his car and punch me in the face a few times thru the open window. rear end in a top hat in the back seat who actually threw it didn't do poo poo to help me either. Strangely enough, I was not friends with that guy for much longer.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Tommychu posted:

One advantage of being a packrat is that when you have a falling-out with a roommate and he takes a bunch of your poo poo on his way out all that's obviously missing is a bunch of worthless broken crap that you should have recycled years ago anyway.
He raided my 'audio that came with cars I've bought' pile and got himself a pair of 3-way 6x9s manufactured during the capacitor plague and thus have blown crossovers and sound like poo poo, cheap single coil subs which are wired to the panel on the back of the box with bits of old extension cord, and an amp that only has one functioning channel.
One disadvantage of being a packrat is that everything else is a lot harder to inventory to see if anything else is missing.

Snagging your stuff's a pretty lovely thing to do, falling out or not. Sounds like you're better off without him

That was perfect! :D.

Almost as good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I'd also like to punch the genius engineer at ford who decided that the EGR valve, the solenoid that controls vacuum to it, and the senor that provides feedback to the ECU about EGR flow should be a complete unit on my P71, rather than 3 separate, replaceable parts like on the earlier models. Because the sensor (DPFE, for those of you who speak Ford P0401) sensor is daft, I have to buy an entire $175 EGR assembly, rather than JUST the sensor. Jerks.
I found it for $127 on Rock Auto, but still...
Once that's replaced I can get the silly thing inspected and registered (because Texas just went to a single sticker, so you can't just get one or the other.)

I also need to replace the bearings in the $Texas 200A alternator, because I sure ain't buying a new one. But first, I need a special tool to get the goddamned pulley off, because it has a built in overrunning clutch for some reason. Fortunately that tool is only $25 on Amazon (on the way, as well.)

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Geirskogul posted:

And yeah, apparently they had injected the eggs with orange and blue paint and put a small bit of duct tape over the injection hole.

... Wait, this is a thing people do? Goddamn, those were some dedicated vandals.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

I used to be that guy who would egg things for fun back when I had my bus and worked at the movie theaters getting off work after 1am. The last time I did it i'm pretty sure I burnt every last shred of vandalism out of my system because it involved a Safeway sale 10 dozen eggs for 10 dollars, and tryin to keep a straight face checking out at 1:30am with 35 dozen eggs. If I remember correctly it was the same night we filled a random jeep wrangler top to bottom with popcorn.

Holy poo poo your new user title.

:lol::laffo::lol:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I'd also like to punch the genius engineer at ford who decided that the EGR valve, the solenoid that controls vacuum to it, and the senor that provides feedback to the ECU about EGR flow should be a complete unit on my P71, rather than 3 separate, replaceable parts like on the earlier models. Because the sensor (DPFE, for those of you who speak Ford P0401) sensor is daft, I have to buy an entire $175 EGR assembly, rather than JUST the sensor. Jerks.
Once that's replaced I can get the silly thing inspected and registered (because Texas just went to a single sticker, so you can't just get one or the other.)

I also need to replace the bearings in the $Texas 200A alternator, because I sure ain't buying a new one. But first, I need a special tool to get the goddamned pulley off, because it has a built in overrunning clutch for some reason. Fortunately that tool is only $25 on Amazon (on the way, as well.)

I'll never have to deal with that because their zetec engine uses the variable exhaust timing to do an EGR's job. :sun:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

some texas redneck posted:

It's not that, unfortunately; even hitting menu won't get it to light up. Sometimes it won't light up when it's first turned on, sometimes it flickers several times after being turned on. I'm pretty certain it's either a dying inverter or a cold solder joint on the inverter.

Check for bad caps. That sounds exactly like the 6 years of Samsung LCD monitors that had the exact same issue. Could still be the inverter, but some swelled caps out of spec can mimic the same symptoms. Also a lot cheaper/easier to fix. I made a lot of side scratch taking in broken LCD's and putting $5 worth of caps and 30 minutes of time into them.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Darchangel posted:

because Texas just went to a single sticker, so you can't just get one or the other.

Texas is going this route because of assholes like me. I used to not bother with inspections because my poo poo was always broke, and I could never find the inspection stations that would kick the tires and hand me a sticker and call it good - it was always the ones that would do a thorough, detailed inspection and fail me because my windshield was cracked or something. Later, up until last year, I keep my poo poo in good shape, it's pretty much inspection-ready, but I'm either too lazy or too broke to go get inspected. Besides, I can think of a lot of better things to spend my $14.50 on LOOK AT ALL THIS CANDY I JUST BOUGHT!

...until now, when after the stickers are combined so I have no choice, and <i>after</i> I stopped being a vehicular shithead, I find a guy who won't even kick the tires. Where were you ten years ago, crazy old dude with the creepy service station?

I used to know a dude who had mad skills at peeling the inspection sticker off without loving it up, and a couple dozen sheets of font-matching numerals. He'd just peel the sticker and swap numbers around until he wouldn't get hassled.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Darchangel posted:

Wow they found a way to make it worse than the one I had to do a couple months ago. Fuckin' Ford.

We ended up replacing everything except the sensor anyways, because the tube was rotted in half, the tube flare nut was seized to the bung, the bung was partially seized to the manifold, and the valve was clogged. I guess the sensor's still original, but it might not be for long because it still throws a code occasionally.

If your EGR bung is seized to the EGR pipe or module and you end up needing to replace it, I've got the right tap to chase the threads (two of them, because the one I ordered first was on the slow boat from China and I needed it RFN) and will gladly mail it to you.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Negromancer posted:

While the egg part is a complete rear end in a top hat move, this is just funny. I don't think I could be mad if I came back to my car full of popcorn
You ever see the kind of mess fifteen 30 gallon trashbags of extra buttery popcorn makes on a rival theater's box office?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

You ever see the kind of mess fifteen 30 gallon trashbags of extra buttery popcorn makes on a rival theater's box office?

As a prank, we emptied the shredders into our supervisors locker and packed it in there. It kept its form and everything.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Negromancer posted:

While the egg part is a complete rear end in a top hat move, this is just funny. I don't think I could be mad if I came back to my car full of popcorn. I never threw eggs at cars, but there was a while where one of my friends had a bunch of paintballs in his car that would get tossed(by hand, never actually firing them) at other cars. We learned our lesson when I was driving the car(with a clutch that was dead, got replaced 2 days later) and one of my friends thought it would be funny to throw some at a new H2. Guy ended up chasing us down and eventually caught up to us on a side street where I was blocked by another car and proceeded to get out of his car and punch me in the face a few times thru the open window. rear end in a top hat in the back seat who actually threw it didn't do poo poo to help me either. Strangely enough, I was not friends with that guy for much longer.

Not gonna lie, guy in the H2's got my sympathy there. Don't gently caress with other people's poo poo for no reason. It gets your rear end beat on a good day.

We just all got our asses chewed at work because someone among the dickwad just out of school idiots we've hired decided to grab all of the soda the guy who just got force-transferred into our department due to his side losing headcount keeps on his desk and write '<name> sucks' on all of the cans and stash them back in the boxes.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 7, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Went to a beer festival in my small town/village with a mate. Drank 10 halves of random beer without getting a minging one. Score. (likely gonna pay for this in the AM anyway tho)

Also managed to make some friends of my own kind of age who live within 1/4 mile of me and were not related to anyone I know and seemed fun. Have only lived here 7 years.., things are looking up! I thought the average age of my area was 65+

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

1.4 INCH DICK posted:

True, but I would at least laugh for a minute if I walked up to my car and it was full of popcorn.

Liquid Communism posted:

Not gonna lie, guy in the H2's got my sympathy there. Don't gently caress with other people's poo poo for no reason. It gets your rear end beat on a good day.

Don't get me wrong, we were 18 year old assholes and the person throwing poo poo had it coming. But in this situation I was telling my dickhead friend in the back seat not to loving throw poo poo at anyone since I was hung over and only driving cause the other person who could drive stick was still drunk. I was mostly pissed cause I was getting punched cause my friend was a idiot. It was also being driven by the exact type of person you would imagine bought a H2 when they first came out. At least we used something that won't do damage to the paintwork and just wipes off.

Not proud of any of that, I just got reminded of that story that I have not thought about in probably 10 years.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
This loving lawnmower is killing me. It will start and run for a second off of starter fluid. Carb has been soaked in cleaner. New fuel lines. New pull cord. New spark plug. Plug isn't fouling, but it will NOT loving run.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

iwentdoodie posted:

This loving lawnmower is killing me. It will start and run for a second off of starter fluid. Carb has been soaked in cleaner. New fuel lines. New pull cord. New spark plug. Plug isn't fouling, but it will NOT loving run.

Checked the air cleaner?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

Did you make sure to blast out the jet after taking it out of the cleaner? That is the classic symptom of a clogged jet. Also depending on the carb it might have a TINY hole near the bottom of the tube that goes to the jet that may be clogged. Like taking a piece of stranded wire to clean it out tiny.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

T-Square posted:

Fanatec wheel is supposed to get here tomorrow, can't waaaiittt

Just kidding, it got here today, guys let's play race cars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But be loving careful because some manufacturers have started using the universal "any orientation" carburetors on lawnmowers and they have that thin plastic membrane inside that wires can poke through.

gently caress you no-name <$100 lawnmower!

• Locked thread