Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Strange, I felt like there was too much to do in P3 compared to P4. In P4 there are very few school links; either your party members (which are available as the story dictates) or club related which are scheduled. The other links occur in town which are linked to a job or story events so again, time related. Like Nanako is probably the most readily available character but she, Dojima, and Adachi all have the smallest windows aside from the Death arcana. Persona 3 also gives you the evening social links and having that evening time to visit the dungeon was amazing when in P4 it takes up your whole day.

But totally, P4's story moves at a very strong pace. It takes 3 moon cycles just for the characters in P3 to deduce that "something weird happens every full moon!" But there's a lot of poo poo to do every day. As a general rule, once you hit rank 3 or 4 with an s-link it unlocks another s-link either through the event or the character tells you directly. Like 2 months into the game I was juggling the two members from kendo, Bebe, Kenji, the old couple at the bookstore, the fat kid, the little girl, the monk at night, Maya on Sundays, the weirdo in the park, Tanaka, and student council. Three loving people were fighting over me every lunch break. In the evenings if I wasn't talking to the monk or Tanaka then I was playing the quiz game to boost my academics or working at the coffee shop.

Also it's very rare for one or more of your party members to not be available. And I'm 100% positive they're always ready right before or on the night of Elizabeth's expiration because my schedule in the game was 1. go day by day, doing the timed item related quests (e.g. wooden arrow, protein drink, etc) 2. right at the deadline go to Tartarus to climb to the highest floor and complete the item grind quests 3. like two days later is the full moon, beat the scripted dungeon and repeat the process.

However, don't stress it. Both games front load you from the start. Unless you deliberately go to sleep early (never do this what's wrong with you???) then by December you'll have several people maxed out, your stats maxed out, and nothing to loving do.

e: I played P3P if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
P3P was very lenient compared to the console versions, IIRC.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

What exactly did Yoshitaka Amano have to do with Fairy Fencer F because it wasn't the generic as gently caress anime CH character designs.

I believe it was the logo, the two deities' design, and some landscaping designs/concept art. I think. The characters were Tsunako's work. This is kinda funny because I believe he's been going quoted as "wanting to design cute anime characters" or something like that.
EDIT: Yeah he's credited as Concept Artist.

HGH fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 5, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Coming from P4, my biggest issue (story wise) with P3 is that none of the characters seem to particularly like each other. You don't even get to s-link your party members except the opposite gender, and it's really late and requires a max attribute. I was really hard pressed to care about anyone because they don't really open up to you.

Your classmates in P4 are always doing stuff together or interacting with your home life. I said it before but P4 is one of the few games where FRIENDSHIP POWAR worked because God drat, I loved those goofs. Even Yosuke.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

al-azad posted:

Coming from P4, my biggest issue (story wise) with P3 is that none of the characters seem to particularly like each other. You don't even get to s-link your party members except the opposite gender, and it's really late and requires a max attribute. I was really hard pressed to care about anyone because they don't really open up to you.

That's kinda a point in the story. Personally, I love how everyone kinda don't care for each other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My main problem with that is... there isn't any conflict. Like, there isn't a real party dynamic one way or the other. I'm fine with a party that hates each other, but that isn't what P3 is. The only conflicts are Junpei and the MC - which is resolved in, like, two scenes - and Yukari and Mitsuru, which was a well executed arc from disliking each other to being friends, but I wish there was more.

I guess there was the Ken and Shinji thing, but Ken's entire point is that he's biding his time - he never openly expresses his dislike. By the time he does, things blow over. What other conflict is there in the party? Everyone's just kind of politely ambivalent. Akihiko and Fuuka aren't really friends, but they don't really fight. Aigis and Yukari aren't really friends, but they don't really fight. It feels less like a party with internal conflict and more like the guys I worked with at McDonalds when I was 16. Everyone's just sort of awkwardly stepping around each other so they can get things over with, and that's really boring.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Persona: like that lovely job you had in high school but with demons for some reason

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Evening sucked poo poo in the first P3 version because Tanaka wasn't a night S.Link so after you finished up the monk there was barely anything to do at night but raise stats. I think FES moved him to Evening and P3P eased things in general, and the female route put several more people into the Evening phase which made juggling everyone a lot easier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Strange, I felt like there was too much to do in P3 compared to P4. In P4 there are very few school links; either your party members (which are available as the story dictates) or club related which are scheduled. The other links occur in town which are linked to a job or story events so again, time related. Like Nanako is probably the most readily available character but she, Dojima, and Adachi all have the smallest windows aside from the Death arcana. Persona 3 also gives you the evening social links and having that evening time to visit the dungeon was amazing when in P4 it takes up your whole day.

But totally, P4's story moves at a very strong pace. It takes 3 moon cycles just for the characters in P3 to deduce that "something weird happens every full moon!" But there's a lot of poo poo to do every day. As a general rule, once you hit rank 3 or 4 with an s-link it unlocks another s-link either through the event or the character tells you directly. Like 2 months into the game I was juggling the two members from kendo, Bebe, Kenji, the old couple at the bookstore, the fat kid, the little girl, the monk at night, Maya on Sundays, the weirdo in the park, Tanaka, and student council. Three loving people were fighting over me every lunch break. In the evenings if I wasn't talking to the monk or Tanaka then I was playing the quiz game to boost my academics or working at the coffee shop.

Also it's very rare for one or more of your party members to not be available. And I'm 100% positive they're always ready right before or on the night of Elizabeth's expiration because my schedule in the game was 1. go day by day, doing the timed item related quests (e.g. wooden arrow, protein drink, etc) 2. right at the deadline go to Tartarus to climb to the highest floor and complete the item grind quests 3. like two days later is the full moon, beat the scripted dungeon and repeat the process.

However, don't stress it. Both games front load you from the start. Unless you deliberately go to sleep early (never do this what's wrong with you???) then by December you'll have several people maxed out, your stats maxed out, and nothing to loving do.

e: I played P3P if that makes a difference.

There's actually still a few S.Links at night in P4, through the tutoring and hospital part-time jobs. Or you can just go fishing :v:.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
Just started my 1st play through of P3P on PSP this weekend; I'm probably too far in to really justify a full restart as I've got 15-20 hours played I'd guess.

I've completed one full moon and I'm actively leveling the Kendo club S.Links (BrokeKnee Guy and ClubManager Ganguro); I did manage to get the Top 10% on the midterms for LeaderGirl's approval; and reached about level 25-30 in TartarSauce. This also means PunchSenpai is in my group now.

Are there any super-critical events that I've missed, or hard and fast things that NEED to be addressed coming up? I'm not trying to be a completionist until/unless I actually replay, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot and have to restart at halfway because I flubbed something essential.

I don't remember if this is the one that lets you choose gender, but I am the guy MC right now if that matters.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean, they literally make you pick female or male when you start the game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Are there any super-critical events that I've missed, or hard and fast things that NEED to be addressed coming up? I'm not trying to be a completionist until/unless I actually replay, but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot and have to restart at halfway because I flubbed something essential.
there's nothing like that. the game doesnt work that way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Incidentally, it doesnt matter what sport you pick - those two people will still be part of the chosen sport club for the same S.Links. Persona 4 fixes that by both sports involving two best friends, but you're hanging around one more with their own S.link story (same arcana though).

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Just balance dungeon progress and social stuff, you won't get 100% but you'll do fine.

#1 thing is keeping the fusion train rolling and making the best personas available as you progress as it makes a staggering amount of difference in fights. But using the Velvet Room doesn't take up any game time so it's usually always available. Real time is another matter, get real used to that song.

EDIT: By best I don't mean min-maxed or anything, just keep them current and don't be afraid to fuse your best guy because odds are the new guy will be better.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 6, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

there's nothing like that. the game doesnt work that way.

Is there ANY modern game that works like that? I don't think a game has made super critical things anything but obvious and unmissable in like a decade.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Is there ANY modern game that works like that? I don't think a game has made super critical things anything but obvious and unmissable in like a decade.
tales of the abyss had some really 'gently caress you' sidequests but they were all sidequests. they were still dick moves but there was nothing there that you couldn't beat the game unless you did.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The most games will do nowadays is give you the poo poo ending if you miss something in a sidequest or something.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Endorph posted:

tales of the abyss had some really 'gently caress you' sidequests but they were all sidequests. they were still dick moves but there was nothing there that you couldn't beat the game unless you did.
gently caress Judith's spear quest in Vesperia holy poo poo there's not even a reason for that quest to be time-limited.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Nakar posted:

gently caress Judith's spear quest in Vesperia holy poo poo there's not even a reason for that quest to be time-limited.

Despite Abyss having a higher volume of bullshit impossible to figure out quests, this loving thing is probably the single most impossible and annoying sidequest in like any game ever. I literally do not believe any person could get the drat thing without a guide.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Some of Elizabeth's requests involve talking to one of your friends on a specific evening. There's only that single window to get them.

I would like to see more variable event chill as gently caress RPGs like a new Bumpytrot game or something. Wasn't there supposed to be a new Way of the Samurai?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hows resonance of fate? worth 7 bucks?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

7 bucks?

yeah

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Davincie posted:

hows resonance of fate? worth 7 bucks?

Yeah it's a pretty neat little game with the unfortunate fact that it gets kinda boring at the exact moment the battle system does. Because there's not a whole lot to it besides the battle system, the surrounding systems (gun modding etc) and dress up. Still, for 7 bucks, go for it, it's a cool experience.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

done, thanks guys

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

al-azad posted:

Some of Elizabeth's requests involve talking to one of your friends on a specific evening. There's only that single window to get them.
In all fairness I think those requests tell you the exact date though.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Despite Abyss having a higher volume of bullshit impossible to figure out quests, this loving thing is probably the single most impossible and annoying sidequest in like any game ever. I literally do not believe any person could get the drat thing without a guide.
No see it's very important that Rita goes back and examines a pile of junk that is completely non-interactive, but only at a specific point after the pile of junk was created but before the rest of the story, even though that pile of junk never loving does anywhere. And if she doesn't do this then gently caress you 20 hours later, assuming you didn't miss any of the other seemingly unrelated steps in this quest, which you already probably have.

Abyss putting two of Natalia's artes in a port you have absolutely no story reason to go to at the time they're available twice is hilarious though. That'll teach you not to backtrack to every town in the world at every point in this story of backtracking to one specific town in the world over and over.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Where's the love/thread for underrail, it's better than these trash kickstartered rpgs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Where's the love/thread for underrail, it's better than these trash kickstartered rpgs.

It looks neat and I'll gladly play it as soon as it leaves Early Access. I really don't want to start over on a long, narrative based RPG every time a new update comes out!

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Yay, my Xenogears soundtrack came today! Now I can listen to the Thames theme all I want!

I still intend to tackle Brave Fencer Musashi next, but it's the end of the semester and and poo poo's hitting the fan :toot:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Xenogears OST is pretty great. Grab Creid if you can too, it's quite good.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Bitch, please

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nakar posted:

In all fairness I think those requests tell you the exact date though.

I played this recently, and I remember one instance where I missed it because I hadn't talked to her in a while and the relevant date passed before I even knew the quest existed. So... talk to her regularly I guess. I'm not entirely sure when she gets new quests.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Clarste posted:

I played this recently, and I remember one instance where I missed it because I hadn't talked to her in a while and the relevant date passed before I even knew the quest existed. So... talk to her regularly I guess. I'm not entirely sure when she gets new quests.

After every full moon the quest list updates.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

bloodychill posted:

Xenogears OST is pretty great. Grab Creid if you can too, it's quite good.

So is Myth, the orchestral album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpI6aGKuTyc

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i know oc remix is generally garbage but the humans + gears ost is really good overall and has some great renditions of the music with changes that are neat

i was just listening to it this morning. its free so if you like xenogears music you'll be able to get more of the same for free in superior .flac format

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://ideafintl.com/updates/2015/04/06/1604.html

Idea Factory is having a contest to visit a press conference in San Francisco on the 16th. Entries end on the 9th and there is no transportation.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm sure that's great news for all 5 of IFI's San Franciscan(San Fraciscite?) fans. I'm assuming that age restriction is for drinks?

Anyway there was talk about South Park last page or something, I figure I'd mention it's 66% off on Steam right now as part of midweek madness until the 10th.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
So, this arrived in the mail today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPc_tz8Y394

Inside the box, no joke, there's a goddamn PLAYS BEST ON ALIENWARE ad. Apparently I could win an Area-51 with Pentium 4 Processor!!!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Suiko III is scheduled to surface on the Japanese PSN as a PS2 classic next week. How many more years till it gets to Europe?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also all the pull quotes on the box are from 2 star reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

corn in the bible posted:

also all the pull quotes on the box are from 2 star reviews
What a coincidence, it had two spin offs/sequels.
Here's a set of wallpapers from one of them http://www.bestrpg.org.ru/index.php?id=144
The rat picture was used inside the box.

Later, the engine was also used for a "realistic" squad-based thing with missions lasting several hours, and no save function by design.