Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Let's do a "thought experiment." Pretend that PFT is an indie singer-songwriter. Now what are your opinions on him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
So what kind of music do the people in this thread like? Not that Scott doesn't have questionable taste in music sometimes but I'm curious what people are comparing it to as "good" music.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Thrash-core, Screamo, that music from europe where the band's lead singer was arrested after eating a corpse. Just usual stuff, you know.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I love weepy, indie stuff as much as the next college radio guy. I will stan hard for Besser's "former punks who became sing songwriters". But Scott is definitely a former theater kid at heart.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Tool would never step on the comedy of character work in CBB

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like most things that aren't acoustic guitar or tepid indie stuff. Both bore the hell out of me. I'll jump between Korean pop and some local grind band at the drop of a hat, so I like to think my taste is fairly varied at least but I know what I don't like. I just find Scott's taste to be pretty much the opposite of mine when he's booking musical guests. Plus I like to listen late at night, and it's a bit jarring to go between soothing voices to music when I'm half asleep (so I wouldn't prefer the musical side of things even if it was stuff I like). Half the time I just don't find the musicians are particularly interesting, and Scott seems too eager to sell himself as a genuine fan of their music a bit much.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I like rap because I'm not a hundred years old

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like most things that aren't acoustic guitar or tepid indie stuff. Both bore the hell out of me. I'll jump between Korean pop and some local grind band at the drop of a hat, so I like to think my taste is fairly varied at least but I know what I don't like. I just find Scott's taste to be pretty much the opposite of mine when he's booking musical guests. Plus I like to listen late at night, and it's a bit jarring to go between soothing voices to music when I'm half asleep (so I wouldn't prefer the musical side of things even if it was stuff I like). Half the time I just don't find the musicians are particularly interesting, and Scott seems too eager to sell himself as a genuine fan of their music a bit much.

i think its cool to be a fan of something and not like have some guest on your show whos an author whose book you just pretend to have read or whatever. also your taste in music sounds bad

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the best musical guest CBB has ever had was Tears For Fears, though I wish they had, y'know, done a song or two

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
At least Besser has a preference, even if it's not my thing some of the time. It just feels like Scott's tastes are so bland and square.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I like rap, rock, rap-rock, and post punk in the sense that punk died and I only like music from after its death.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

i like chillstep, chillwave, and nu-shoegaze exclusively.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

abraham linksys posted:

the best musical guest CBB has ever had was Tears For Fears, though I wish they had, y'know, done a song or two

Serious post, that's the only musical guest that's been on that I was a fan of before.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

erezaka posted:

i think its cool to be a fan of something and not like have some guest on your show whos an author whose book you just pretend to have read or whatever. also your taste in music sounds bad

I don't pay for CBB so if Scott wants to keep booking guests he likes but I don't, that's his choice and good for him. There's plenty of other stuff out there to listen to on the weeks that I have no interest, and if you can't tell me that you've seen a guest lineup for an episode and just through 'urgh, no' then good for you too.

I'm listening to Todd Terje at the moment, his music is pretty fun and cool. My taste in music is pretty fun and cool. It's not whiny, acoustic drivel at least. If I want to feel like that, I'll listen to mid nineties emo - at least they tended to actually put some heart into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebjXsc0UjdQ

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don't pay for CBB so if Scott wants to keep booking guests he likes but I don't, that's his choice and good for him. There's plenty of other stuff out there to listen to on the weeks that I have no interest, and if you can't tell me that you've seen a guest lineup for an episode and just through 'urgh, no' then good for you too.

I'm listening to Todd Terje at the moment, his music is pretty fun and cool. My taste in music is pretty fun and cool. It's not whiny, acoustic drivel at least. If I want to feel like that, I'll listen to mid nineties emo - at least they tended to actually put some heart into it.

i have but i mean sometimes an episode with an actor i don't care about and horatio sanz or whatever ends up being great so i listen to them all anyway. im not sure what were arguing about so ill conclude by saying i dont like your song either.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I like st Vincent a lot but I don't think Annie Clark is a very good guest.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

I like rap because I'm not a hundred years old

same but i am 100 years old

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I listen exclusively to the Empire season 1 soundtrack. Drip, drop. Drip drippity drop, y'all!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I think the kind of music I was listening to when I was first falling in love is the best kind of music.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wait, let's turn it around. Are there any good musical guests that CCB could get?

Poopy Palpy posted:

I think the kind of music I was listening to when I was first falling in love is the best kind of music.

This is probably true.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The type of music I was listening to when I was 16 was not the best kind of music.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I like st Vincent a lot but I don't think Annie Clark is a very good guest.

oh

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Omnishambles posted:

Wait, let's turn it around. Are there any good musical guests that CCB could get?

They can just book Tears For Fears and Neko Case all the time.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

I thought the land down under guy was good.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
The podcast is a direct extension of Scott's taste and personality so instead of complaining about the 1% of the time that doesn't align with your own preferences be happy there's an enormous library of episodes that have knocked it out of the park 99% of the time.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
I think the thing for me is more whether or not the musician is a good guest on the show. I really didn't care for the Stars people all that much but I thought they were fun guests. On the other hand if Sturgill Simpson or someone else I really liked was on and they were lovely and in-fun, I would be just as disappointed.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

EL BROMANCE posted:

See now this is a Good Post with Good Music.

I prefer bleep and bloop music (esp anything with a 80's retro feel), but if I had to go old school and have something with lyrics gimme something like The Shoes - Time To Dance (also this video is crazy good, American Psycho for hipsters) or St. Lucia - Elevate

Also this is now my youtube feed thanks to CBB

:cripes:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Another ep heralding the downfall of CBB and also PFT is literally Hitler.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

welcome to the music threa.d

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I thought the land down under guy was good.

He was good

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thoogsby posted:

The podcast is a direct extension of Scott's taste and personality so instead of complaining about the 1% of the time that doesn't align with your own preferences be happy there's an enormous library of episodes that have knocked it out of the park 99% of the time.

Absolutely, and I genuinely appreciate everything we get. But the topic of musical guests came up so there's no harm with giving an opinion. If I didn't think the show was worth listening to because of the occasional guest I don't care for, I wouldn't listen at all.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Jesus christ you guys whine so loving much.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Midnightghoul posted:

Tool would never step on the comedy of character work in CBB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyDWYHGCRYY

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

soggybagel posted:

Thank you!!!!!!!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wandering Knitter posted:

You Talkin' U2 to Me is enough proof of Scott's terrible taste in music. :colbert:

Omnishambles posted:

Obviously Scott should have a theme ep where he books Karmin, the Pet Shop Boys, and Chubby Checker + the remaining Fat Boys.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Seriously you guys have some really picky taste in music and its getting old. Yes, having non-comedians on as guests can be somewhat dour. I know people who work at earwolf (so I guess I'm biased) but for all the theories you guys occasionally throw out 99 percent of the guests are pleasant and no one is trying to gently caress each other over or anything. I thought Alicia Witt was a fine guest. She stepped on peoples jokes a couple times, but guess what, every guest does. Listen to Paul F. Tompkins on CBB sometime. He's pushing his way in a lot and sometimes overruns people who can't get a word in edgewise. I seriously can't wrap my head around some of you peoples complaints and needling whining poo poo. But the reactions of some of you act like an episode like this is some great blight or tanking of an otherwise good episode.

Here's what I do for ANY podcast I listen to. If I'm not feeling it about a quarter of the way through, I turn it off and move on. And I have to say in the entire run of CDR/CBB listening I've maybe done that two or three times total.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 8, 2015

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
She was fine. You people in this thread are actually insane.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
You guys are the reasons Scott wil never hang out with us. :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

soggybagel posted:

soggybagel posted:

Seriously you guys have some really picky taste in music and its getting old. Yes, having non-comedians on as guests can be somewhat dour. I know people who work at earwolf (so I guess I'm biased) but for all the theories you guys occasionally throw out 99 percent of the guests are pleasant and no one is trying to gently caress each other over or anything. I thought Alicia Witt was a fine guest. She stepped on peoples jokes a couple times, but guess what, every guest does. Listen to Paul F. Tompkins on CBB sometime. He's pushing his way in a lot and sometimes overruns people who can't get a word in edgewise. I seriously can't wrap my head around some of you peoples complaints and needling whining poo poo. But the reactions of some of you act like an episode like this is some great blight or tanking of an otherwise good episode.

Here's what I do for ANY podcast I listen to. If I'm not feeling it about a quarter of the way through, I turn it off and move on. And I have to say in the entire run of CDR/CBB listening I've maybe done that two or three times total.

You're aware that the people complaining about people who don't like the musical guests (i.e. people like you) are actually making more of a deal than those of us who don't care for them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

The REAL Goobusters posted:

She was fine. You people in this thread are actually insane.

soggybagel posted:

yeah, we're the insane ones