Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Skywalker OG posted:

Like I said that's an acceptable reason to not enjoy the film, but thematically it's one of the most important aspects of why it works.

E: Watched the first Garfunkel and Oates episode and it's a Garfunkel and Oates version of Flight of the Concords. It's absolutely fine as its, but does it transcend this and become something more at some point?

Also, why is Rob Huebel a puppet? Are there other puppet characters or is this explained at some point? Does this make any sense by the end of Season 1? Is there an Avenue Q thing or something?

it's like flight of the concords in the sense that it's a sitcom with music comedy and music-video-y bits but I'd say it's tonally a bit different and focuses more on what being a female comic (and being a woman in general) is like which i think is enough to distinguish it

I quite liked it, personally

I think there was a throwaway line about how one of them pictures their agent as a puppet, if I remember correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
A second season of Cutthroat Kitchen was just added. I normally don't watch any cooking shows, but I like this one.

Synopsis: "Four competing chefs are handed $25,000 and can use the money to either help themselves or sabotage their rivals."

Stuff like: How much of your money are you willing to give up to replace all the meat from one of your opponents with spam?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Leper Residue posted:

What ruined The Babadook for me was that I wanted it to eat that stupid kid. Holy poo poo that kid was a little poo poo.

That's how I felt through most of it, but near the end I def started sympathizing with him more and was like whoaaaa that it pulled off that trick so naturally.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Turambar posted:

A second season of Cutthroat Kitchen was just added. I normally don't watch any cooking shows, but I like this one.

Synopsis: "Four competing chefs are handed $25,000 and can use the money to either help themselves or sabotage their rivals."

Stuff like: How much of your money are you willing to give up to replace all the meat from one of your opponents with spam?

This show is great whether you like cooking shows or game shows, and Alton Brown is just so incredibly entertaining in everything he does.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The babadook is one of the most original, inventive horror flicks thats been released in recent times, and if you like horror (or just films) and dislike that film you're a moron.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

cat doter posted:

it's like flight of the concords in the sense that it's a sitcom with music comedy and music-video-y bits but I'd say it's tonally a bit different and focuses more on what being a female comic (and being a woman in general) is like which i think is enough to distinguish it

Now that I think about it more, you are right. I'll give it a couple more episodes.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The first two episodes of Garfunkel & Oates were pretty great, but the second one was absolutely amazing, especially with the twist, totally straight-faced pro-gay activist anthem at the end.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

A MIRACLE posted:

Whoa didn't mean to say I hated Babadook. It was just too scary and I had to turn it off. Maybe I'm just a giant pussy. I'll try to finish it today

I don't think it makes you a pussy to be scared by it. I am a hardened horror fan and it really freaked me out.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
God's Not Dead was great. At some point a Christian man literally stands triumphantly over the corpse of a recalcitrant atheist while texting the God Revolution into existence. It's terrible. I love it. I want more of this flavor of Stupefying Bimbo Christ in my life.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

God's Not Dead was great. At some point a Christian man literally stands triumphantly over the corpse of a recalcitrant atheist while texting the God Revolution into existence. It's terrible. I love it. I want more of this flavor of Stupefying Bimbo Christ in my life.

I had a co-worker who unironically loved this movie with enthusiasm. I refuse to watch it because of her, and with the way goons describe it, now I'm terrified for her children.

Should I just bite the bullet and watch it?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Turambar posted:

The only cooking show I've ever liked.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The only cooking show I've ever liked.

"For $5300 Humbug Schoolbus has lost his ability to like things."

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Franchescanado posted:

I had a co-worker who unironically loved this movie with enthusiasm. I refuse to watch it because of her, and with the way goons describe it, now I'm terrified for her children.

Should I just bite the bullet and watch it?

I held off on watching it because I had people in my facebook feed pushing it really hard. Curiosity got the better of me after a couple beers after it went on streaming and I am pretty happy with the decision. If you have joy in your heart, it will make you laugh.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I just watched Atari: Game Over. If you can get past the awful title and the ten minutes of screentime they devote to Ernest Cline driving around his loving De Lorean it's actually pretty good. Nice historical document for retrogame nerds that turns into a brief but earnest examination of "worst ever" labels and why those statements are pointless, self-serving Internet hyperbole.

It's only an hour. If you like or ever did like video games, you should watch it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sarchasm posted:

I just watched Atari: Game Over. If you can get past the awful title and the ten minutes of screentime they devote to Ernest Cline driving around his loving De Lorean it's actually pretty good. Nice historical document for retrogame nerds that turns into a brief but earnest examination of "worst ever" labels and why those statements are pointless, self-serving Internet hyperbole.

It's only an hour. If you like or ever did like video games, you should watch it.

It's not bad but there is at least one documentary about that era of gaming that is leaps and bounds better and more informative. I believe it's Once Upon Atari but that might be something else.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I saw that Atari documentary last night and yeah it's kind of good. The Atari stuff was really interesting.

I am liking how between this and Incident at Loch Ness Zak Penn is making himself out to be this whiny "What is this...thing? What does it do? Can you say that in English so normal people can understand? We can't use it in the shot?" Guy.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Accident Underwater posted:

This show is great whether you like cooking shows or game shows, and Alton Brown is just so incredibly entertaining in everything he does.

Word. Cutthroat Kitchen is fantastic. It might be the only thing I really miss about cable.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

precision posted:

It's not bad but there is at least one documentary about that era of gaming that is leaps and bounds better and more informative. I believe it's Once Upon Atari but that might be something else.
I finished it literally seconds ago and more than anything else it felt like one of the ESPN 30-for-30 movies: Light and airy and meant to rehabilitate a) Atari itself and b) Howard who made it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some TV show recs? Sitcoms okay. I've been sick for a couple of months and I ran out of dumb stuff to watch while I work.

I've seen:
Always Sunny
New Girl (didn't like it)
The League
Californication
GoT
Elementary
Grimm

Still catching up, but I'm sure someone else must have already recommended this, but why not. Here's a list of sitcoms:

Better Off Ted
Arrested Development
Scrubs
Childrens Hospital
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Gareth Marengi's Dark Place
Peep Show
Danger 5
Cougartown
30 Rock
Indestructible Kimmy Schmidt
Louie
Orange is the New Black (prob not a comedy? Whatever)

And I know this is defintiely not a sitcom, but whatevs: Angel. And gently caress it, Farscape.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

mysterious frankie posted:

Never heard of this till now. I think I'll watch it. I already know that I'm going to want to punch the tv. I get sadistic pleasure out of watching poo poo like that God Warrior crazy bitch on that trading spouses show from several years ago. And Jesus Camp too.

I finished Rectify and loved it. Started Bloodline. I'm not crazy about it, but there's only the one season up, so I'll stick it out. Eh.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

crondaily posted:

"For $5300 Humbug Schoolbus has lost his ability to like things."

drat you! I thought losing tasting privileges was bad!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

They recently added 3rd Rock From the Sun and it's funny as poo poo. Watching the first episode gives so much more context to the show, I only caught it once in a while when it was on, and I knew they were aliens, but the gags based on who they are as humans versus their real gender/age/rank as aliens were things I didn't get in the past. Lots of not-so-subtle but still biting social commentary too - "Why do I have to be the woman?" "You lost."

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I really wish some documentary about the history of games would at least mention PC/Mac games of the era.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alterian posted:

I really wish some documentary about the history of games would at least mention PC/Mac games of the era.

If only so they could mention that adventure games were so hard specifically so the companies could run tiplines that charged you per minute.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

computer parts posted:

If only so they could mention that adventure games were so hard specifically so the companies could run tiplines that charged you per minute.

That's devilishly brilliant.

"Remember when you ate the pie in the desert? Yeah you actually need that to hit the yeti and knock him off the mountain. Obviously."

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My dad use to go and look in (I want to say) the memory dump to see if he could find keywords if we were stuck on a puzzle since sometimes they wanted very specific words.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

Turambar posted:

nthing this. I was a fan of Top Chef while I still had cable, and this is Top Chef trimmed down. It still has the typical reality TV show editing, but overall it's great fun, fast paced, and some of the auctions produce some amazing schadenfreude.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
I watched the three episode series Residue last night and really enjoyed it. Looking for more info on it I stumbled on an Indiewire piece about the making of and plans for more, and I like it even more now. I'm really hoping they do a ten episode run and more seasons because it is good tv.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm giving my official recommendation to Something, Anything, that rare good Christian independent film that you didn't even know you needed to see to assuage your incessant narcissistic cynicism.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

whatshesaid posted:

Never heard of this till now. I think I'll watch it. I already know that I'm going to want to punch the tv. I get sadistic pleasure out of watching poo poo like that God Warrior crazy bitch on that trading spouses show from several years ago. And Jesus Camp too.

I finished Rectify and loved it. Started Bloodline. I'm not crazy about it, but there's only the one season up, so I'll stick it out. Eh.

God's Not Dead didn't induce any anger in me at all, it's just way too silly and caricatured to get mad at.

Well, aside from the normal background anger I have that nobody makes movies about SANE Christians. Radio Free Albemuth doesn't count because Philip K. Dick was most definitely insane and also it's kind of terrible, like it's as close to the source material as A Scanner Darkly was and yet is on the complete opposite end of the "quality" spectrum, I know PKD's daughter and a lot of reviewers said it's a good movie but I think they're just saying that to be nice. It's on Netflix, or it was very recently.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

precision posted:

Along the lines of interesting retro game documentaries, Hulu has Chasing Ghosts. I think it was a pretty interesting companion piece to King of Kong as it shares some of the same people, games and era. It's probably not as well put together, though, but I think it feels like a far different and a MUCH more depressing documentary.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

God, it's so embarrassing. I found myself watching 50 First Dates last night. And liked it A LOT. I actually was in tears by the time they got the semi-surprise ending. And I hate rom-coms, and REALLY hate Adam Sandler movies in general and have for at least a decade and a half. I think I watched it because the Groundhog Day premise seemed a bit intriguing, but I got totally wrapped up in just... what a charming little film it was. And how loving awesome Drew Barrymore is, and how her and Adam Sandler have this great unexpected chemistry (they were really sweet together in The Wedding Singer too!

I don't know. I think if I had seen this 10 years ago when I was still really cynical and a teenager I would have despised it utterly, but now that I'm all old and sentimental the idea of making the person you love fall in love again with you every day is just undeniably romantic and sappy as hell and I just fall for that stuff. And Drew Barrymore is just so irrepressibly adorable it's fantastic :unsmith: I mean christ the movie even has adorable sea mammals what more do you want

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Accident Underwater posted:

I really like alton brown (god I wish netflix still had all of good eats on it. and how it's made.) but after a while I got a bit frustrated at cutthroat kitchen and how people got legit hosed over in unrecoverable ways a large chunk of the time

Reality shows where the assholes win instead of getting a comeuppance aren't my thing + cooking shows where they can't actually cook things as well as they could also bug me!

Chopped's fun, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

flatluigi posted:

I really like alton brown (god I wish netflix still had all of good eats on it. and how it's made.) but after a while I got a bit frustrated at cutthroat kitchen and how people got legit hosed over in unrecoverable ways a large chunk of the time

Reality shows where the assholes win instead of getting a comeuppance aren't my thing + cooking shows where they can't actually cook things as well as they could also bug me!

Chopped's fun, though.

Good Eats is up on YouTube

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Housebound was really disappointing, mostly because we were in the mood for a scary ghost movie and got a goofy thing with a couple scenes of tension and then a third act that just goes off the rails after the "twist"

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Housebound was really disappointing, mostly because we were in the mood for a scary ghost movie and got a goofy thing with a couple scenes of tension and then a third act that just goes off the rails after the "twist"

I liked it, but I think y'all hyped it too much for me. I will say that if I had no expectations going in, I would have liked it a lot more, so really it's all on me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

flatluigi posted:

Its all worth it for the rare moments when you think someone has gotten so incredibly hosed over like that and has been hit with all the hindrances, but yet still comes out on top.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

kaworu posted:

God, it's so embarrassing. I found myself watching 50 First Dates last night. And liked it A LOT. I actually was in tears by the time they got the semi-surprise ending. And I hate rom-coms, and REALLY hate Adam Sandler movies in general and have for at least a decade and a half. I think I watched it because the Groundhog Day premise seemed a bit intriguing, but I got totally wrapped up in just... what a charming little film it was. And how loving awesome Drew Barrymore is, and how her and Adam Sandler have this great unexpected chemistry (they were really sweet together in The Wedding Singer too!

I don't know. I think if I had seen this 10 years ago when I was still really cynical and a teenager I would have despised it utterly, but now that I'm all old and sentimental the idea of making the person you love fall in love again with you every day is just undeniably romantic and sappy as hell and I just fall for that stuff. And Drew Barrymore is just so irrepressibly adorable it's fantastic :unsmith: I mean christ the movie even has adorable sea mammals what more do you want

Eh, 50 First Dates is one of the very few Sandler movies that does in fact have some effective pathos to it and the two lead performances are actually pretty decent. Maybe it is a Drew Barrymore thing because Wedding Singer is one of the others.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

computer parts posted:

Roberta Williams was pure evil.

The fact that strategy guides/hintbooks are still published in physical print and somehow sold boggles my mind, given that you can find insanely detailed walkthroughs for every game ever with a 2 second google search. I guess frustrated 8 year olds' parents keep them in business? I thought the new generation of children were born tech-savvy so it still doesn't make sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Roberta Williams was pure evil.

The fact that strategy guides/hintbooks are still published in physical print and somehow sold boggles my mind, given that you can find insanely detailed walkthroughs for every game ever with a 2 second google search. I guess frustrated 8 year olds' parents keep them in business? I thought the new generation of children were born tech-savvy so it still doesn't make sense to me.

A healthy cross-section of dorks are completists