Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone who says Flight of the Conchords is bad and praises Garfunkel and Oates is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, what is wrong with Flight of the Concords? that show was great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Flight of the Conchords first 2 or 3 seasons were great, but I seem to remember it went downhill hard at some point. First season is amazing though.

e: apparently it only had 2 seasons, weird. Could have sworn it had more.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Broad City is also on Amazon Prime. I feel like that show is the east coast version of Workaholics, people in their mid to late 20s just existing in these mundane lives. I can relate, in more ways than I want to admit.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Can I get some TV show recs? Sitcoms okay. I've been sick for a couple of months and I ran out of dumb stuff to watch while I work.

I've seen:
Always Sunny
New Girl (didn't like it)
The League
Californication
GoT
Elementary
Grimm

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Trailer Park Boys

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

precision posted:

Flight of the Conchords first 2 or 3 seasons were great, but I seem to remember it went downhill hard at some point. First season is amazing though.

e: apparently it only had 2 seasons, weird. Could have sworn it had more.

Flight of the Conchords season 1 was significantly better than season 2 because it was essentially a "best of" their BBC Radio show that they'd had years to refine. Season 2 took a huge dive because they were rushed to write new episodes and new music, and they quickly became overwhelmed. I listened to an interview with Jemaine a while back and even they didn't want to keep going. He said his agent called when hbo wanted to do season 3 and they asked the agent bit to even tell them how much money was being offered so they wouldn't have any temptation.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Hackers film 1995 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 5, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some TV show recs? Sitcoms okay. I've been sick for a couple of months and I ran out of dumb stuff to watch while I work.

I've seen:
Always Sunny
The League
Californication
GoT
Elementary
Grimm

Cheers is easily the best sitcom of the 80's. The jokes aren't that dated so it's still enjoyable.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Trailer Park Boys

I quit in the middle of the second episode. Couldn't stand any of them.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Man, I hate Cheers so much.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
^^ I don't know you but you are dead to me :(

Jose Oquendo posted:

Cheers is easily the best sitcom of the 80's. The jokes aren't that dated so it's still enjoyable.

Yes. Cheers is a national treasure. Now if only Night Court was available streaming somewhere.

MASH is on Netflix, and it's also brilliant.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ravenkult posted:

I've seen:
Always Sunny
The League
Californication
GoT
Elementary
Grimm

For background watching I'd try Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23. Peepshow and That Mitch and Webb Look are also excellent, but you do have to pay attention to them.

Are you using your computer or tv? If your computer then we can recommend a bunch of stuff on foreign netflix blah blah.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Chichevache posted:

For background watching I'd try Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23. Peepshow and That Mitch and Webb Look are also excellent, but you do have to pay attention to them.

Are you using your computer or tv? If your computer then we can recommend a bunch of stuff on foreign netflix blah blah.

PC. Thanks those sound good.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

GORDON posted:

The first season is a bit of an outlier and I almost gave up on it too. It's too grounded in reality so it comes off as making fun of poor uneducated people for being poor and uneducated. The second season is vastly superior and further seasons quickly lose any similarity to reality.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GORDON posted:

that sucks

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Trailer park boys is pretty disgusting and I can see why someone would hate it. Personally I watched it at a point in my life where I lived pretty much the same lifestyle as those dudes, and watching it helped me self examine and discontinue some pretty self destructive behavior

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

You have to admit that the first season seems more grim than everything subsequent.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You have to admit that the first season seems more grim than everything subsequent.

i'm not sure i agree. subsequent seasons may get wackier, but the material about Lahey's alcoholism gets WAY more grim.

people always say it doesn't get good until season two which is weird because i still think the first season is the best.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's like Always Sunny (or ATHF) in that way. As the show gets wackier, it gets a hell of a lot more messed up, but the overall somber tone of the earlier stuff makes you take it more seriously.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Yaws posted:

Tusk was made for $5 million and still didn't make money. Smith is still getting work somehow.

I haven't seen Tusk but just looking at some screen grabs and at the very least it looks better than a lot of his earlier stuff. So maybe he's learned something in 20 years.

IMDB estimates a $2.8MM budget, with a Gross of $1.8MM, which is even funnier.

It's really funny if you've read his autobiography. His conclusion based on his career is 'gently caress everyone in hollywood, I'll do it myself because I now have a fanbase that supports me as an artist and will buy pretty much any bullshit I put out.'

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

red19fire posted:

IMDB estimates a $2.8MM budget, with a Gross of $1.8MM, which is even funnier.

It's really funny if you've read his autobiography. His conclusion based on his career is 'gently caress everyone in hollywood, I'll do it myself because I now have a fanbase that supports me as an artist and will buy pretty much any bullshit I put out.'

Ah, so he's a youtuber now!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just watched Zak Penn's Atari: Game Over documentary which is all about the E.T. Game cartridge (Well other stuff too, but the cartridge is a major part) including the search and excavation of the landfill. It was pretty interesting.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just got a Roku 3 and have some questions about it, posted in the Small / Stupid Questions thread in A/T but no replies. Is it kosher to ask here or is there a more appropriate thread?

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Broad City is also on Amazon Prime. I feel like that show is the east coast version of Workaholics, people in their mid to late 20s just existing in these mundane lives. I can relate, in more ways than I want to admit.

Broad City is like Girls if Girls was a really great, brilliant comedy and not a complete shitbomb in every conceivable way.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone know if any netflix regions have the raid? The sequel is on netflix here in australia, and I've checked the british, american and canadian netflixes using a VPN and none of them have it. I would like to watch it. I've been a martial arts movie fan since childhood and I'm somehow still not seen these movies.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

cat doter posted:

Anyone know if any netflix regions have the raid? The sequel is on netflix here in australia, and I've checked the british, american and canadian netflixes using a VPN and none of them have it. I would like to watch it. I've been a martial arts movie fan since childhood and I'm somehow still not seen these movies.

http://www.moreflicks.com

Looks like German Netflix has it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If you like B-Movies and the title Wolfcop sounds fun, you'll probably enjoy it. It's not a great movie, but it's fun, the physical effects are good, and the second act was funny. Just get past the terrible credits and let it get some traction. At 78 minutes, it didn't overstay it's welcome.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 6, 2015

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Devils Backbone Texas I'm here from the future to warn you. I'm ten minutes in and this docuhorror is crap. Very Crap. I can't even find reviews but its because its not worth your time.

EDIT 30 minutes in. I wish I could slap the camera outta the directors hands.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 6, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

WHowever recommended Babadook can gently caress right off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not as ecstatic about it as most people, but's pretty good. Why did you hate it so much?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ravenkult posted:

I've seen:
Always Sunny
The League
Californication
GoT
Elementary
Grimm

Pettuh Pane (bbc comedy) is on Netflix now, give it a shot

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

A MIRACLE posted:

The Babadook is absolutely everything I want in a horror movie. That said, it's a slow-burn film with more existential dread than spilled entrails, and that's not the kind of thing that gets universal traction among horror fans.

I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but it'll go over big with the House of the Devil set.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I recommend The Dark Valley to anyone looking for a dark western.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I can see someone getting really annoyed at the screaming child and internalizing the existential dread a parent would feel for their child in distress. Personally the thing that pissed me off about the film was the goddamn stock Pterodactyl sound at the film's climax, but it's great horror. The imagery is affecting and unique, the acting was phenomenal and emotionally at certain points it made me want to drive out to a cave in the woods, curl up in a ball on the floor, close the entrance with a giant boulder, and stick my fingers in my ears.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
What ruined The Babadook for me was that I wanted it to eat that stupid kid. Holy poo poo that kid was a little poo poo.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

What ruined The Babadook for me was that I wanted it to eat that stupid kid. Holy poo poo that kid was a little poo poo.

Like I said that's an acceptable reason to not enjoy the film, but thematically it's one of the most important aspects of why it works.

E: Watched the first Garfunkel and Oates episode and it's a Garfunkel and Oates version of Flight of the Concords. It's absolutely fine as its, but does it transcend this and become something more at some point?

Also, why is Rob Huebel a puppet? Are there other puppet characters or is this explained at some point? Does this make any sense by the end of Season 1? Is there an Avenue Q thing or something?

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 6, 2015

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Skywalker OG posted:

Like I said that's an acceptable reason to not enjoy the film, but thematically it's one of the most important aspects of why it works.

The really scary thing about The Babadook is how it very slowly walks you up to this place where you know what's happening is wrong but you sympathize so deeply with the main character that you understand how she got there.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.

Skywalker OG posted:

Also, why is Rob Huebel a puppet? Are there other puppet characters or is this explained at some point? Does this make any sense by the end of Season 1? Is there an Avenue Q thing or something?

I have no idea, but I really need to see Rob Huebel as a puppet now.

Also, for some reason I watched The Incredible Burt Wonderstone last night. I don't know why, but I did. There's a handful of laughs peppered throughout, but the reveal of how they pull off the final trick is hilarious. I'd honestly just skip to the ending and watch it from when Alan Arkin appears out of a television, just for the last scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Whoa didn't mean to say I hated Babadook. It was just too scary and I had to turn it off. Maybe I'm just a giant pussy. I'll try to finish it today