Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

victrix posted:

I loving hate those fat hippo men. I'm pretty sure they've killed me more than any other single enemy in the game. Is it impossible to mash out of grabs?

They're fat and slow and easy but I get impatient and then they eat me :mad:

As long as you get behind them, they will do their butt stomp over and over. Also they have a big vulnerability to piercing damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Iretep posted:

From my experience don't bother dodging them unless you have bellow 50% equip load. How far you can dodge is pretty important with them because they move foward a lot when they attack.

Just dodge to the side instead; you won't need to move as far.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Reminder to never co-op with people wearing Drangleic Armor.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
You summon people to make the boss harder so I'm pretty sure you especially summon those guys.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Pwnstar posted:

Reminder to never co-op with people wearing Drangleic Armor.

The last three people who've summoned me were wearing Drangleic Armour and then they proceeded to black separation crystal me out immediately...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
You obviously weren't wearing your Drangleic armor so they wanted nothing to do with you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Djeser posted:

Speaking of fashion, tons of people in Alva's set. It looks good yeah but I thought I was more special, guess I'm not :(

I did have a weird Sinner's Mask/Alva's Armor/Lion Mage Cuffs/Alva's Boots combo for going through Amana when I was abusing being a shade to get free estus/health restores.

I admit for fashion souls I really like the Alonne Captain set, I generally end up wearing the whole thing but with a thief mask or something for the headpiece. It's a really nice contrast compared to a lot of heavy armor in that it doesn't just make you incredibly fat, you get big pauldrons and a big skirt but you can see it's a normal human wearing it.

It makes a really cool effect when you move because the overall silhouette is really bulky, but when you look closer you can see the detail.

Also has the advantage of being actually really good armor for heavy characters in terms of poise and overall defence/weight ratio.

Golden Goat posted:

Just curious: Should I ditch the shield strategy and aim for more dodging? I was using shields as a crutch in the first game and they're so much weaker in this one.

Shields are still very useful, but I would use them more like you would parrying in any other game, don't sit with them up, but raise them when you see an attack coming in.

Being able to block projectiles is very handy, and if you invest in a greatshield you get the ability to no-sell a lot of really big attacks that are an arse to dodge (going toe to toe with a trollclops is fun, just don't get eaten) and you also get an absolutely amazing blunt weapon in your offhand. The leaping smash with a greatshield will do a bunch of strike damage and will literally flatten most humanoid enemies, which is both hilarious and quite useful in PVP if they don't see it coming (same effect as a ninja turtle overhead mace attack). It also has decent range and comes out quite fast, but you need to get good at it because if you end up missing the jump timing, you will do the regular lovely 'stumble into you with my shield up' attack which is terrible, slow, and leaves you really open.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 8, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I wish I could find light armour better-looking than the wanderer's set, but there isn't any. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 8, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wish I could find light armour better-looking than the wandrer's set, but there isn't any. :(

The new Forlorn stuff actually looks pretty good when it's not bathed in Bloodbro sheen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I wish I could find light armour better-looking than the wandrer's set, but there isn't any. :(

The black leather set is quite good but a different style, and the desert sorceress hood goes really well with a lot of light armor if you want to be ~*mysterious*~ looking. Also a rather fetching red colour.

Pate has some nice leather boots if you do the last giant with him and then speak to him in earthen peak, torso is up to you but there's quite a lot of choice in that area.

If you just want a dapper coat though yeah the wanderer set is probably the best.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gestalt Intellect posted:

So if I restored a backup save after two hackers ruined my soul memory back when I was doing low level PvP characters before the agape ring existed, I would most likely get banned. While the hackers were probably never banned :thumbsup:

Yeah, that is/was a thing.

Basically, From periodically checks both your Soul Level and your Soul Memory. If these are in an illegal combination or one of them goes down, then you're flagged for a ban.

Save backups can trigger this, if, say, you leveled up, got your SM ruined, then restored a backup with a lower Soul Level. They would see that it's the same character, suddenly with a lower level.

From went after the least harmful hacking there is, basically.

What drives me nuts about it is that they could easily detect when a hacker switches his targeting to kill NPCs, yet they do not. I know this because you don't gain host privileges when you switch your phantom status to host. All they'd have to do is check for a mismatch between phantom status and if you are the true host, and immediately queue a softban. NPC killings would vanish, and some actual good would be done.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Orv posted:

The new Forlorn stuff actually looks pretty good when it's not bathed in Bloodbro sheen.

Straid only has two pieces of that on sale. Does anyone know where all four Forlorn are (I'm assuming you get a piece of the set per one you kill)?

OwlFancier posted:

The black leather set is quite good but a different style, and the desert sorceress hood goes really well with a lot of light armor if you want to be ~*mysterious*~ looking. Also a rather fetching red colour.

Pate has some nice leather boots if you do the last giant with him and then speak to him in earthen peak, torso is up to you but there's quite a lot of choice in that area.

If you just want a dapper coat though yeah the wanderer set is probably the best.

Honestly, it's the fur collar that does it for me; it's like Faraam, but light armour.

I'm not fond of the half-cap-thing on black leather, and I missed out on summoning Pate for Last Giant. Mannequin's top looks okay but the rest is pretty bad (the boots are too light). Varangian top is also half-decent. I like the look of Vengarl's, but it's way too heavy.

I think the only other armour that looks anywhere near as good is Llewellyn, so I'm glad it's a lot easier to get this time around.

On the whole, I was really disappointed with the DLC sets. The majority of them are yet another variation on steel-grey heavy armour. :(

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Is it actually possible to survive being eaten by a hippo if you have enough HP or is it always an instant kill?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

Is it actually possible to survive being eaten by a hippo if you have enough HP or is it always an instant kill?

It is, but I think the number was something like 2900. With armor with high physdef it's way lower, but still really high.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Are Dex builds still worthless?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Carwash posted:

People keep asking this and I wasn't aware they ever were? Dex weapons are some of the most varied and versatile in the game, and the lack of need to level strength (a lot of good strength weapons also have high dex requirements or dual-scale) means you can put more into other stats.

Not to mention being able to shoot everything you find challenging to death with a longbow.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dr. Carwash posted:

I'm doing perfectly fine with a Dex build.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

People keep asking this and I wasn't aware they ever were? Dex weapons are some of the most varied and versatile in the game, and the lack of need to level strength (a lot of good strength weapons also have high dex requirements or dual-scale) means you can put more into other stats.

Not to mention being able to shoot everything you find challenging to death with a longbow.

From a mathematical and sheer ease of use standpoint dex falls behind, let's say noticeably. Surprise though, that's literally always been the case in Souls, play it if you like it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

OwlFancier posted:

The scaling on them was horrible across-the-board, both by nature of the lower range of dex coefficients and the actual weapons' scaling factors within that range. It sounds like the latter was patched so there are better dex weapons now. I'm doing a dex-focused quality build at the moment, the durability thing is killing me though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orv posted:

From a mathematical and sheer ease of use standpoint dex falls behind, let's say noticeably. Surprise though, that's literally always been the case in Souls, play it if you like it.

From a mathematical and ease of use standpoint my smacking people in the face with a partizan wins everything.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

From a mathematical and ease of use standpoint my smacking people in the face with a partizan wins everything.

See I like spears because they are sort of a gameplay all their own. Dex is usually fancy movement attacks, strength is murder everything around you while looking like a drunken frat with a 2x4. Spears you just slowly and methodically poke everything until it stops being alive. Nice and easy, no need for haste or killing yourself with stupid hubris or impatience, just Chillsouls.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just use rapiers and constantly surprise everyone with the reach on the running attack. No one ever expects you to hit them.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Durability is more a question of what specific weapons you pick, not an overall dex (or str) issue. You'll run into more durability issues with katanas than rapiers for example, and similarly with big clubs compared to greatswords. It depends mostly on the weapon's max durability and how much time it spends in the ground or in corpses.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Vil posted:

Durability is more a question of what specific weapons you pick, not an overall dex (or str) issue. You'll run into more durability issues with katanas than rapiers for example, and similarly with big clubs compared to greatswords. It depends mostly on the weapon's max durability and how much time it spends in the ground or in corpses.

Been really enjoying crescent axes for this, their 1H moveset just won't hit the ground no matter what you do.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Just curious: Should I ditch the shield strategy and aim for more dodging? I was using shields as a crutch in the first game and they're so much weaker in this one.
Shields work perfectly fine as a crutch in DS2, until you get to Fume Knight. Then he kicks your poo poo in until you 'git gud'. It is why he is my favorite boss in any From game.

The standard dark souls progression works like this
1) Armored, shielded tank.
2) Maybe I should try a caster. Wow, this destroys most things and is kind of not fun.
3) Double-ladle butterfly clown man.

Dr. Carwash posted:

You must have been playing a different game. Dex builds were never worthless. Katanas and rapiers have consistently been two of the most powerful weapons.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Just use rapiers and constantly surprise everyone with the reach on the running attack. No one ever expects you to hit them.

Speaking of thrusting swords I believe the Estoc got patched with a sheild piercing effect to its strong attack. I haven't tested it yet but the estoc was pretty good before the patch so if the piercing effect works on the one handed strong attack, jesus christ that is going to be a pain in the arse.

Orv posted:

See I like spears because they are sort of a gameplay all their own. Dex is usually fancy movement attacks, strength is murder everything around you while looking like a drunken frat with a 2x4. Spears you just slowly and methodically poke everything until it stops being alive. Nice and easy, no need for haste or killing yourself with stupid hubris or impatience, just Chillsouls.

I still play spear more or less like I do greatsword, but being able to just get out a longer spear if something is proving awkward is pretty great.

I'm going to have to make a pike build someday, probably with the lion set and the pursuer greatshield so I can hoplite my way through drangleic.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Speaking of thrusting swords I believe the Estoc got patched with a sheild piercing effect to its strong attack. I haven't tested it yet but the estoc was pretty good before the patch so if the piercing effect works on the one handed strong attack, jesus christ that is going to be a pain in the arse.

Yeah they gave a bunch of different low level enemies estocs and it sucks rear end.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Speaking of poo poo that it's ultra disappointing they didn't fix: I can't believe that Way of the Blue and Blue Sentinels are still separate covenants (instead them being the same covenant with the ring being the only thing needed to be summoned in as support). Like, holy poo poo, those are so bad it's baffling.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They also gated Bluecops behind a giant dragon that will scare most people off when you first run into it, so great decisions all around.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Rapier or Estoc with Stone Ring are PvE easy mode so I have no idea where the "DEX iz bad" meme comes from. Though the Estoc is actually a STR weapon despite appearing to be a DEX weapon. Probably people not knowing about the Stone Ring (tbf it was only buffed relatively recently, I didn't know about it before the buff was announced either).

Rapid damaging attacks for basically no time and stamina commitment. The only problem is mediocre reach.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Orv posted:

They also gated Bluecops behind a giant dragon that will scare most people off when you first run into it, so great decisions all around.

It's really stupid since making them the same covenant was the easy and obvious fix. :(

Mr Dog posted:

Rapid damaging attacks for basically no time and stamina commitment. The only problem is mediocre reach.

I would not describe the rapier as having "mediocre reach." The issue is you don't have a horizontal attack, so it's relatively easy to miss against an enemy moving sideways.

And yeah, rapier + stone ring is ridiculous.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm going to have to make a pike build someday, probably with the lion set and the pursuer greatshield so I can hoplite my way through drangleic.

Don't forget the faraam helmet!

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I took out Fume on a character I've been controlling my SL with. Just used a +5 craftsman hammer and a lot of dodging. He is in the 400-450k bracket, and is now swinging around fume's fun piece of steel. I definitely could have had him in the 350-400 bracket if I had been a little more careful with spending souls on weapon upgrades. What fun things can I do with this?

Also, what armor would be appropriate fashion to go along with the fume UGS? Preferably something not too heavy. Wearing manikin stuff right now.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010
Damnit, is there a bug that makes boss souls disappear sometimes?

Early in the game I suddenly noticed my Flexile Sentry soul had gone missing, I just assumed I had accidentally consumed it. But now I went to pick up the Soul of the King and then went straight to Ornifex - guess what, it's not in my inventory.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Filthy Monkey posted:

I took out Fume on a character I've been controlling my SL with. Just used a +5 craftsman hammer and a lot of dodging. He is in the 400-450k bracket, and is now swinging around fume's fun piece of steel. I definitely could have had him in the 350-400 bracket if I had been a little more careful with spending souls on weapon upgrades. What fun things can I do with this?

Also, what armor would be appropriate fashion to go along with the fume UGS? Preferably something not too heavy. Wearing manikin stuff right now.

Beating Fume Knight with minimum roll iframes :stare:

You're a lot better at this game than I am

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I would not describe the rapier as having "mediocre reach." The issue is you don't have a horizontal attack, so it's relatively easy to miss against an enemy moving sideways.

And yeah, rapier + stone ring is ridiculous.

I would. Spears and ultra greatswords have good reach. Daggers have poor reach. Thrusting swords have mediocre reach.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

spears are the only thing that really make the shorter range of the thrusting sword hurt, everything else you can rush in and poke so quickly that range isn't an issue. rolling sideways is by far the biggest counter against thrusting swords though, and coincidentally why the estoc strong attack is so nice to have.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

Beating Fume Knight with minimum roll iframes :stare:

You're a lot better at this game than I am
Ha, no. I soul vesseled into a 105 agi setup specifically to beat him, then soul vesseled back once I was done.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Karrahad posted:

Damnit, is there a bug that makes boss souls disappear sometimes?

Early in the game I suddenly noticed my Flexile Sentry soul had gone missing, I just assumed I had accidentally consumed it. But now I went to pick up the Soul of the King and then went straight to Ornifex - guess what, it's not in my inventory.

That shouldn't normally happen. The only semi-legit explanation I can think of (barring user error or some sort of weird file/memory corruption) is if you have too many total items? But that would involve a lot of items in your inventory, probably with a bunch of redundant duplicates in the weapons and armor. I don't know exactly how much memory space the game allocates to tracking your inventory, but I expect it has a finite (albeit large) number of spaces.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
All my previous guys have been greatweapon-swinging strength monstrosities, so I decided to make a new guy who uses rapiers. Holy poo poo, upgrade at least one non-thrusting weapon before the shaded woods. Those invisible guys are hard as hell to poke without lockon, and my backup weapon was the equally-unhelpful channeler's trident.

But outside of that area, the rapier is good as gently caress. Stick a stone ring on there and stunlock every enemy to death. The pokes come out so fast that you can interrupt guys who are already halfway through their attack animations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Straid only has two pieces of that on sale. Does anyone know where all four Forlorn are (I'm assuming you get a piece of the set per one you kill)?

yeah you get a piece with each one you kill but there are more than 4. i think its infinate and random on when and where. apart from huntsman corpse where you always get the one? at least that's what i gather from messages being left.