Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

ShutteredIn posted:

The Keep the Promise network sounds like social media for evangelical teenagers.

Like a Purity Ring, Rand Paul says he'll wait until he is President to tell us how he would replace Obamacare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spaceman Future! posted:

Riding the train is awesome, the problem here has been completely misidentified. Trains dont necessarily need to get to their destination faster, they just need to get there more comfortably and cheaper. Recent trends have been about buckling down on train travel since the primary management in the industry are gigantic fuckwits who think their trains are ground airplanes so ripping out luxuries and adding more seats is the only way to fix their hemorrhaging business model. If your seats are cheaper and people can go get ripped in your bar car and then pass out on a leather couch or play some pinball next to a jukebox while making their trip for cheaper than a flight would be you will book every single train. People already have a soft spot for the idea of taking a train trip, but the price and dinginess of the current state of the industry makes dealing with an airplane a no brainer.

Are you talking about the UK or something? Regional commuter rail operators haven't "ripped out luxuries" in the US, if anything some of them have added them back in when they finally got new train cars in after decades of having to refurbish the same old cars they inherited in the 70s/80s mass nationalization of rail passenger travel. And Amtrak hasn't cut back on "luxuries" either. In fact the experience's better than ever.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Joementum posted:

:iiam: “Every PAC in the Keep the Promise network will fully comply with all disclosure and recordkeeping obligations set forth in federal law. The use of multiple PACS, however, will allow Keep the Promise to uniquely and flexibly tailor its activities in support of Senator Cruz and afford donors greater control over PAC operations.”

I assume that's PAC-ese for "I'm going to pay myself multiple salaries" or some other such graft.

Sort of reads like some of the main donators want to run the PAC themselves but use the same infrastructure as the main pac. So they just made more PACs and all use the same infrastructure and logistics.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Stand with Rand Day 1: Alienating the press

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/rand-paul-savannah-guthrie-fight-116757.html

quote:

“You have had views on foreign policy in the past that were somewhat unorthodox, but you seem to have changed over the years,” Guthrie told the Kentucky Republican, who was appearing via satellite from Nashua, New Hampshire. “You once said Iran was not a threat, now you say it is. You once proposed ending foreign aid to Israel, now you support it, at least for the time being, and you once offered to drastically cut … defense spending.”

Paul attempted to speak as Guthrie continued.

“Why don’t we let me explain instead of talking over me, OK?” Paul interjected. “Before we go through a litany of things you say I’ve changed on, why don’t you ask me a question, ‘Have I changed my opinion?’ That would sort of a better way to approach an interview.”

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

List of things Rand Paul doesn't understand: Inherent delays in satellite interviews.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Of course Rand is an anti-vaxxer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlWcDDZ1w38

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Old news. What made it funnier was when he said this when called out:

quote:

“I did not say vaccines caused disorders, just that they were temporally related – I did not allege causation,” Paul said in a statement. “I support vaccines, I receive them myself and I had all of my children vaccinated. In fact today, I received the booster shot for the vaccines I got when I went to Guatemala last year.”

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Solution 1: make all vaccines intra-vaginal.

Solution 2: Give everyone vaginas.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are they split up like that? Getting around donation limits?

Probably like gavelkind. You have three people that you want to provide for, so you each give them one piece. And the advisor that wouldn't say how great you are gets nothing.

Doctor Candiru
Dec 23, 2004
Umbrella Monkey Sand
The $30,000,000+ figure for PAC donations thing could actually be a surprisingly smart campaign move by Cruz's associates, even though it's grounded in nonsense. He's able to take some focus from Paul (although neither of them are on the Drudge frontpage at the moment, so maybe it doesn't matter anyway), and make it seem like he's really a top-tier candidate.

They also don't have to disclose how many people gave that much money to the PACs until June, right? So, even though it's probably only three or four really rich people who donated the majority of that haul, that news won't come out until later when he's hoping his polling bump won't be gone (that's where the could -be-smart thing comes in, because I doubt he'll still be above ten percent in Iowa by then), if it even comes out, and the donations weren't spread across a bunch of shells like the smart oligarchs like doing.

So who are the big donors this time around, and which ones would actually give Cruz money? Have Friess or Adelson made up their minds yet, because isn't it probably one or both of them?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Solution 1: make all vaccines intra-vaginal.

:heysexy: "hey babe, ready to get vaccinated?"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Adelson seems like he could get behind Walker if Walker shows he won't wilt under the spotlight. Cruz definitely seems like he's courting Friess so far, there's a solid chance he'll land him.

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

mooyashi posted:

wait what is the wrong way

Did he say "App-a-LATCH-a" because that's how a lot of people who actually live in the mountains say it

App-ah-lay-sha is the incorrect way to say it. App-a-LATCH-a is the correct way to say it. See this.

Her point at the end of the vid is lol for Rand Paul

Tommah fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 8, 2015

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Are you talking about the UK or something? Regional commuter rail operators haven't "ripped out luxuries" in the US, if anything some of them have added them back in when they finally got new train cars in after decades of having to refurbish the same old cars they inherited in the 70s/80s mass nationalization of rail passenger travel. And Amtrak hasn't cut back on "luxuries" either. In fact the experience's better than ever.

The NSA gave Biden Fishmech's password, I suppose it was inevitable.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spaceman Future! posted:

The NSA gave Biden Fishmech's password, I suppose it was inevitable.

No seriously, what the hell are you talking about? There hasn't been any removal of luxuries from any of the commuter rail agencies, and there hasn't been any over at Amtrak either.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Came to post this. Dude has the same problem all libertarians seem to, they get all pissed when someone questions their perfect idea for the world since they've never bother to question themselves.

He should probably learn not to act like this with reporters, though.

edit

In other 2016 news:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121480/carly-fiorina-new-sarah-palin

:prepop:

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 8, 2015

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Oh, and it didn't stop there: he got into an argument over his votes on abortion bans just a few hours later.

quote:

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) spent the day following the launch of his presidential campaign getting into a series of tiffs with reporters.

The Kentucky Republican on Wednesday got into a "testy" exchange about abortion bans with an Associated Press reporter, just hours after clashing with NBC's Savannah Guthrie, whom Paul accused of "editorializing" while trying to correct her interviewing technique.

The AP's Phillip Elliot pressed Paul to explain what, if any, exceptions he felt should be allowed if abortions were banned. The reporter noted that Paul has supported both legislation that allowed exceptions for cases of rape, incest and danger to the woman's life and legislation that did not grant those exemptions.

Paul "grew testy" during the exchange, according to Elliot, saying at one point: "I gave you about a five-minute answer. Put in my five-minute answer."

"I've supported both bills with and without (exceptions), you know," he told Elliot. "In general, I am pro-life. So I will support legislation that advances and shows that life is special and deserves protection."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2015/04/07/rand-pauls-campaign-already-a-glorious-trainwreck-and-its-only-been-one-day/
Nice summary of a lot of the idiotic design decisions on Rand's announcement.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't watch the video right now, does Rand really try to hush her up? lmao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Carly Fuorina, Rand Paul, and Ted Cruz's tell all campaign dirt sheet that releases sometime in 2017 are each going to be fuckin amazing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Comparing Fiorina to Sarah Palin is some base sexist bullshit. Pretty much the only thing they have in common is their gender and party affiliation.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

Came to post this. Dude has the same problem all libertarians seem to, they get all pissed when someone questions their perfect idea for the world since they've never bother to question themselves.

He should probably learn not to act like this with reporters, though.

edit

In other 2016 news:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/121480/carly-fiorina-new-sarah-palin

:prepop:

She's Sarah Palin with less political experience. Has Fiorina EVER held elected office?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pinterest Mom posted:

Comparing Fiorina to Sarah Palin is some base sexist bullshit. Pretty much the only thing they have in common is their gender and party affiliation.

After all, Plain quits her job. Fiorina gets fired.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

No seriously, what the hell are you talking about? There hasn't been any removal of luxuries from any of the commuter rail agencies, and there hasn't been any over at Amtrak either.

Bar cars are gone on NJ transit, Metra, MTA and every other train Ive ridden. :shrug:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Pinterest Mom posted:

They're both incompetent in their chosen professions, so there's that.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

They're both huge dumb shits.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
If "running the government like a business" meant anything akin to how Fiorina ran HP, then gently caress that poo poo.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

If "running the government like a business" meant anything akin to how Fiorina ran HP, then gently caress that poo poo.

I am 100% for our all-printer currency conversion.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nonsense posted:

They're both huge dumb shits.

In a field of huge dumb shits, Carly Fiorina is the only one who gets compared to Sarah Palin. I wonder why!

(Seriously, compare that headline to Mother Jones calling Ted Cruz the "Republican Barack Obama", it's seriously gross.)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hillary gets compared to loving Machiavelli and you're mad a dumb poo poo is compared to another vacuous dumb poo poo?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

well the running strategy for both is mostly "into the ground" if you're a republican so she would fit right in.

Also, her only political claims are working for a losing campaign and losing a campaign so badly she managed to sacrifice a chunk of her own money in the process. This is not the horse to back GOP.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Hillary gets compared to loving Machiavelli and you're mad a dumb poo poo is compared to another vacuous dumb poo poo?

Sexism isn't okay just because it's targeted at a Republican.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nonsense posted:

Hillary gets compared to loving Machiavelli

I know, it's nice when a candidate gets such sweet compliments.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spaceman Future! posted:

Bar cars are gone on NJ transit, Metra, MTA and every other train Ive ridden. :shrug:

Bar cars haven't run on NJ Transit since the 90s at absolute latest, because the only ones they had were old pre-80s stock and in terrible condition. MTA Metro-North bar cars had to be discontinued because no one submitted a valid bid to build ones compatible with the new rolling stock (which I might add, does have better seating and poo poo than the old ones, and the hvac works right). And in general bar cars are something of a liability.

Describing it as taking away luxury is asinine, especially since it's done in tandem with actually improving the main fleet. Not to mention that when systems ran them, they were only on a few lines at a few runs of the day, iirc the last decade the MTA bar cars ran it was two trains a day or something equally insignificant when they have dozens if not hundreds of trains a day.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Hillary is very smart from her hard work, I don't think she likes being compared to some idiot writing things Kings wanted to hear.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Carly F didn't already crater? What's the standard there now? An actual physical bowl carved into the earth from your spectacular failure?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Bar cars haven't run on NJ Transit since the 90s at absolute latest, because the only ones they had were old pre-80s stock and in terrible condition. MTA Metro-North bar cars had to be discontinued because no one submitted a valid bid to build ones compatible with the new rolling stock (which I might add, does have better seating and poo poo than the old ones, and the hvac works right). And in general bar cars are something of a liability.

Describing it as taking away luxury is asinine, especially since it's done in tandem with actually improving the main fleet.

I ride a train to work that regularly has poop on the floor. This is my frame of reference.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reminder Fiorina is one of the worst CEOs of all time.

Worse than DeLorean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spaceman Future! posted:

He loving better be, thats enough cash for some real grade A mudslinging, you can just ask all sorts of questions about the foregone establichment nominations then. He has the ability to drag this whole drat thing into loony right territory and anyone who doesent follow is going to get loving annihilated in the primaries. This is gonna produce some amazing soundbites.

There's a line about being king of the ashes that I think is apropos.

• Locked thread