Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Yeah, I had a buddy that works a print shop help me out. NA top, we had it in and out in about two hours. It helped that he'd done the top on his NA pretty recently; the biggest pain in the rear end was doing the rain rail nuts around the rollbar. everything else was pretty straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Looking at a white 92 "Sport" with 82k miles, owner of 9 years claims to be a mechanic since 1965 (grain of salt taken) . Not driven in winter, no rust. Synchros in transmission replaced, clutch replaced, belts, various gaskets replaced. Koni Yellows with stock springs, Flying Miata Stabilizer links, Borbet type H wheels. Currently there is no radio. I have not seen this car in person (4 hours away) though he has sent me pictures of the car, which appears to be a well taken care of Miata. The owner has been very good about responding to emails and answering questions, and I don't get the feeling he is hiding anything. I was considering trying to get him to $3.8k-$4k, does this seem like a good price? I see them going for cheaper, but those deals are usually gone after only a few hours on Craigslist.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sounds like a fair price range, but personally I wouldn't spend that much on a 1.6 Miata when you can get 1.8s all day in that range.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
To me that price seems about right if its clean and the seller's claims are true. Prices vary by region / season / etc, but that range matches up well with the asking prices for NA's in my area

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A white 92? Either it's doing its best impression of a cow or it's been repainted. I thought the "bad white paint" that flakes off ran all the way until 94.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Today was productive as gently caress. I painted the rear roll-hoop covers 'gunmetal grey' and cleared them with a satin finish. I think it'll be more appropriate on a car that's gonna be black on black with a black interior and saddle tan accents with gold wheels. Bright silver doesn't really have a place on this car anymore. Should be done tonight.
E: to keep wifey happy and get some other poo poo out of the way, I took out the janky 1985 special towel bar and bogroll holder and replaced them with something quite a bit nicer; more contemporary/mid century modern. Also relocated the towel bar so the shower door wouldn't hit it when opened. That bathroom was a posterchild of reddit's crappy design sub. Looks quite nice now. Installed a satin nickel shower head too, since the old one was pissing everywhere. Even installed rocker switches with a nice satin nickel switch plate. Looks swank as gently caress :smug:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 5, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Taco Box posted:

Today was productive as gently caress. I painted the rear roll-hoop covers 'gunmetal grey' and cleared them with a satin finish. I think it'll be more appropriate on a car that's gonna be black on black with a black interior and saddle tan accents with gold wheels. Bright silver doesn't really have a place on this car anymore. Should be done tonight.

That sounds really good. Take some pictures!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That sounds really good. Take some pictures!

Okay :)

E: I'd call that Ford's 'sterling grey metallic' like my old focus was. I like the color very much. Wish I could have done it with an airbrush since I scored a 12 gallon, 4 hp 5.9CFM@90PSI compressor from the neighbor across the alley's garage sale for $35. That thing sounds like a beast.

E2: I think it looks much better...

I texted my parents a picture of it now and they thought I'd gone and done something stupid and bought a Z4 :haw:

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 5, 2015

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

leica posted:

Sounds like a fair price range, but personally I wouldn't spend that much on a 1.6 Miata when you can get 1.8s all day in that range.

1.8's seem to be hard to come by around here and are stupid expensive when they do show up.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

A white 92? Either it's doing its best impression of a cow or it's been repainted. I thought the "bad white paint" that flakes off ran all the way until 94.

Come to think of it I do see a lot of flaky white NAs. But this one looks pretty nice.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It's done! It's finally done! gently caress mazda forever for the design of the roll bar hoop covers. Both broke on install :negative: what a waste of a day. I zipped that poo poo back together and I'm budgeting for putting a hard dog in, gently caress these plastic shitpiles. Anyway, have some pics...

I missed driving this car so bad. Automatic mini coopers are tragically slow by comparison. They handle great though.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Did a bottom end foamectomy in my NA the other day and I think I'm going to put the stuff back in - I like being lower in the car, feel a bit safer and appreciate seeing lights better, but my hips stay pretty high while my rear end sinks low, putting pressure on the pelvis and lower back that is uncomfortable and bad times according to my physical therapist. I'm kind of surprised that so many people find it more comfortable; my hips/waist are on the narrow end of average, so I'd think drivers of great stature would have greater hip flex and find it even more uncomfortable than I do. My motivation to do this was to get closer to passing the broom stick test - I fail with the regular seat padding, haven't tried yet now that I've done the foamectomy.

I've heard of people swapping in Elise seats, any other popular seat swaps that would get my head lower in the car?

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
I bought a non running 1992 1.6 miata last week sight unseen from an auto auction for $650

Here she is after I got her towed home.

/

The plastidip is bad, but the previous owner had replaced the top with a rear glass model.

Took the battery out, got a warranty one from autozone and she started right up. Couldn't believe it!

Bonus go ???? stickers, sweet stereo, and a aftermarket shift knob lol

And here's what was in the glovebox

R8's with poster putty on them

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

:captainpop: That center console :captainpop: What a loving find, good job :thumbsup:

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks! Ever since moving back to SoCal all I could think is miata weather year round. Changed the oil today but I forgot to buy a washer for the drain plug and its leaking oil so I'm gonna have to redo that :11tea:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice, too bad the PO completely hosed the paint over.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice find.

It might not actually be too bad on single-stage. Plastidip + sun-baking really fucks the clearcoat up but you might be able to get by peeling a bit of it off and seeing if it destroyed the paint underneath.

Dibs on that shift boot if you don't want it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

urakawa posted:

Thanks! Ever since moving back to SoCal all I could think is miata weather year round. Changed the oil today but I forgot to buy a washer for the drain plug and its leaking oil so I'm gonna have to redo that :11tea:

Put a shop vac on the oil fill and turn it on. Swap out the drain plug and the oil should stay in the pan if you don't have too many leaky gaskets. :science:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

leica posted:

Nice, too bad the PO completely hosed the paint over.

It was a red 92, I'm sure the pant has been hosed for a while.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Worn red paint is still better than rattle can flat black. It doesn't look like plasti dip either.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

And it's single stage, so you might be able to bring it back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And if the paint is ruined you could try a roll-on paint job like I just did to the Civic.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys! This is my first time owning and working on my own project car. My last ride was a 97 Impreza wrx sti but the repairs on that was a pain in the butt

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
That's awesome for $650, makes me want to go to auto auctions.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
It took me a while to find one but I used copart and searched the places near me. Just factor in the $200 auction fees and broker fees if you have to do use a broker.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
German spec sheets are out, it's in moon units though.

1.5L is rated for 7.9, 4.8, 5.9 (city/highway/combined in L/100km)
2.0L is rated for 9.2, 5.6, 6.9
i-ELOOP 2.0L is 8.8, 5.3, 6.6

In non-moon units in the US, we're looking at (city/highway/combined):
2.0L: 25.5/42.0/34.1 mpg
2.0L w/ i-ELOOP: 26.7/44.4/35.6 mpg

42mpg in a Miata? I'm down. The tank is 45L (11.8 gal), so looking at a ~450 mile tank.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

You're leaving the stickers on, right?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

42mpg in a Miata? I'm down. The tank is 45L (11.8 gal), so looking at a ~450 mile tank.

You can't really compare euro to US MPG. Apples to oranges b/c it's a different cycle. Who knows, maybe they are close but we'll see whenever it's released.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Larrymer posted:

You can't really compare euro to US MPG. Apples to oranges b/c it's a different cycle. Who knows, maybe they are close but we'll see whenever it's released.

The 2015 NC is rated at 10.9/6.1/7.8 liters/100km or 21.5/38.6/30.1 mpg (city/highway/combined).

The Mazda USA site says 21/28 mpg for city/highway.

Now I'm curious for the EPA rating.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not like anybody is going to be driving it conservatively though, if the motor revs good you're gonna have your foot in it most of the time.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Phone posted:

The 2015 NC is rated at 10.9/6.1/7.8 liters/100km or 21.5/38.6/30.1 mpg (city/highway/combined).

The Mazda USA site says 21/28 mpg for city/highway.

Now I'm curious for the EPA rating.

At least the city is somewhat comparable? :confuoot:

Edit: decided to throw the gear ratios into a calculator, and it seems much better for highway cruising than the NA at least. Should help the mpg.

http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 7, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phone posted:

Whoa, that's just better than an N53 330i (9.9/5.6/7.2)!

E:

urakawa posted:

Still debating but they're still on as of now :chef::chef:

I eat stickers all the time, dude!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 8, 2015

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

Giblet Plus! posted:

You're leaving the stickers on, right?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

urakawa posted:

Was this a salvage title? Or maybe a seizure?

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Nope clean title made sure to only look for non-salvage title vehicles. The previous owner donated it to kars 4 kids and they put it up for auction through copart.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So did you figure out why it's not running yet?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I think I just broke my mx-5 windshield by using the defroster? Cheap glass?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

I think I just broke my mx-5 windshield by using the defroster? Cheap glass?

Probably already had a tiny chip or crack in it and heating and cooling it made the crack grow. That's windshields for ya.

I replace a windshield every couple of years where I live so I can reassure you that there is nothing to worry about.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012

leica posted:

So did you figure out why it's not running yet?

yep the battery was dead. took it to O'Reily and got another Miata battery for $60 and it started right up no problems.

I did find out one of the coolant hoses is leaking so that's next on my replace list

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I had my top replaced at a shop before the winter. They said to leave it up for several weeks before trying to put it down because it needed to stretch. Went through the winter with it up all the time of course, and now that it's getting warmer I've tried to put it down a few times, and it is still too tight to put back up by myself. I'm talking it's ball-bustingly-2-people-pulling-on-it-to-get-it-to-barely-latch tight. Is there any adjustment I can make? I've tried undoing the catches on windshield header but they don't seem to have much if any adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Elysium posted:

So I had my top replaced at a shop before the winter. They said to leave it up for several weeks before trying to put it down because it needed to stretch. Went through the winter with it up all the time of course, and now that it's getting warmer I've tried to put it down a few times, and it is still too tight to put back up by myself. I'm talking it's ball-bustingly-2-people-pulling-on-it-to-get-it-to-barely-latch tight. Is there any adjustment I can make? I've tried undoing the catches on windshield header but they don't seem to have much if any adjustment.

Oh good, so it's not just me. hosed if I know how to loosen it up. I park it outside while I'm at work in the TX sun and I haven't put it down since Sunday. Doesn't look like it's gonna loosen up soon...