Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rime posted:

Is this where we discuss how the new Nightwish album is the best thing they've done in the past decade? (Barring parts of DPP). If not, please direct me to a thread where I can express these sentiments. :v:
Eh, I'm not convinced about the new album just yet. I have been listening to it and it's grown on me somewhat, but while I do like it, it hasn't exactly wowed me like Once and DPP did back in the day. I feel the songs sound too samey and they're not really utilizing Floor's range and versatility all that much. She's at her best when she gets to really belt it out, but I guess maybe Tuomas still has PTSD over Tarja and any operatic vocals risk him having some kind of episodes or something, I dunno.
But as I said, I still lilke the album, just not quite to the extent I'd like to.

You're not alone man, I really like Lost Society too. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Power metal is deeply embarrassing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXAvNLTWNMM

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Monkeytime posted:

Power metal is deeply embarrassing

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
can't hear you too busy headbanging while this chick half my weight smokes 2 blunts at the same time in the mosh pit with me

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Metal is the anime of music.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Goatwhore just announced a tour with Ringworm, Black Breath and Theories. I have never listened to or seen Goatwhore (surprisingly, since they seem to be on every package tour), but I like Ringworm and Black Breath and it's on a Saturday. Should I look into it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

Goatwhore just announced a tour with Ringworm, Black Breath and Theories. I have never listened to or seen Goatwhore (surprisingly, since they seem to be on every package tour), but I like Ringworm and Black Breath and it's on a Saturday. Should I look into it?

If you like Ringworm and Black Breath, you'll like Goatwhore, they put on a super good, high-energy show.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Or just fuckin' bail after BB and Ringworm if you don't like Goatwhore

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If you like metal and you like fun, you should enjoy Goatwhore.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I also really like Ben Falgoust as a vocalist based on the one Soilent Green album I've heard so I will check them out eventually here. I think Crowbar is the week before. Gonna be a very Southern summer if nothing else comes up.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Their records tend to be kind of forgettable but they are an awesome live band. And like someone else said, they're last so you can just bail if they're not your thing.

I'm really curious to hear new music from Black Breath. I ran into their bass player at Deathfest last year and he said that their new material was trying to "capture the same kind of magic" found on Boston's first record. He was also really, really blazed.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Monkeytime posted:

Their records tend to be kind of forgettable but they are an awesome live band. And like someone else said, they're last so you can just bail if they're not your thing.

I'm really curious to hear new music from Black Breath. I ran into their bass player at Deathfest last year and he said that their new material was trying to "capture the same kind of magic" found on Boston's first record. He was also really, really blazed.

Black Breath trying to capture the sound of Boston sounds loving amazing

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright so what bands do I need to listen to if I want GOOD new thrash?

Like, I've been jamming the absolute poo poo out of Revocation - Deathless but give me most other retrothrash and I might as well listen to Deathless or old stuff.

Violator
Ghoul
Sauron I guess, mostly for Thrash Assault. Their other stuff is lame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_gvdlT4kSs

nerve posted:

Black Breath trying to capture the sound of Boston sounds loving amazing

So they're ditching the HM-2s for Rockman amps? Oh god if that becomes a thing...

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 8, 2015

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nils Patrik Johansson is an awesome vocalist if nothing else. I think I prefer his stuff with Wuthering Heights more, but the guy's got his own style.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Like, I've been jamming the absolute poo poo out of Revocation - Deathless but give me most other retrothrash and I might as well listen to Deathless or old stuff.
We just did this a bit ago

Varg posted:

new thrash bands that are pretty decent imo:

Violator
Hexen
Trallery
Hatriot
Lost Society
Blood Tsunami
Game Over
Eruption
Gama Bomb
Vindicator
Exmortus
Dust Bolt
Shrapnel
Savage Messiah - if you like a bit of power in your thrash

I like Revocation quite a bit too, they never seem to be mentioned in this thread.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Well I'm pretty much in absolute thrash heaven thanks to you all, I can't thank you enough. I've found a bunch of bands I reaaaally dig and in general haven't heard a clunker yet. Nice! I'm glad the genre isn't skeletonwitch'd to death because I love me some good nasty thrash.

Varg posted:

I like Revocation quite a bit too, they never seem to be mentioned in this thread.

Man I seriously love them. Deathless brought me back into wanting to listen to techy thrash bullshit and I've been listening to it all the time since I got it. For some reason it really reminds of Death in a huge way and I can't say that about any other band. Every song has that one perfectly written part that forces you to give it all of your attention.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Also in other thrash metal news, Lich King is looking for a new vocalist.. I don't think they're quite as good as the other newer thrash bands I listed, but if you live in Massachusetts then the gig could be yours! At times they can sound somewhat like a Slayer ripoff but it's still pretty enjoyable

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I wish Lich King's Music was as good as their social media presence.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
That's because every power metal wants to be as cool as Manowar only to fail miserably

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

That's because every power metal wants to be as cool as Manowar only to fail miserably

This is true all metal.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Shakenbaker posted:

Nils Patrik Johansson is an awesome vocalist if nothing else. I think I prefer his stuff with Wuthering Heights more, but the guy's got his own style.
Yeah I like Civil War well enough, but Wuthering Heights is a head and shoulders above that stuff. I'm just worried they're gone for good, as Ravn's health problems have prevented them from working for the last five years. :(
Salt is one of my favourite albums of the last decade, and if the band were to announce they're finally working on a new album I would go absolutely apeshit.

That said, I'll listen to just about anything with NPJ on the vocals, he's pretty much my favourite classic heavy/power metal vocalist today. Too bad Astral Doors' last two albums have been rather lacking compared to their older stuff, though.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Tuomas Holopainen's discovery of atheism on Nightwish's latest album was a subtle as a cow on stilts. Well, he's now in an atheist video being silent and awkward as gently caress, while Troy (pipes) talks.

Tuomas Holopainen & Troy Donockley (Nightwish) - Openly Secular: https://youtu.be/ZJuWLkTwtFs

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Tuomas Holopainen's discovery of atheism on Nightwish's latest album was a subtle as a cow on stilts. Well, he's now in an atheist video being silent and awkward as gently caress, while Troy (pipes) talks.

Tuomas Holopainen & Troy Donockley (Nightwish) - Openly Secular: https://youtu.be/ZJuWLkTwtFs

Cool, this makes me not want to be an atheist. I'm gonna call up some churches this afternoon.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Is there anything that sounds like punky-era Impaled Nazarene? (Think All That You Fear and the like)

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

david crosby posted:

Cool, this makes me not want to be an atheist. I'm gonna call up some churches this afternoon.

"I am Mr. Holopainen, and I'm a secularist "

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

Metal is the anime of music.

Nah, metal heads are way more willing to be open in public about the fact that they're a one dimensional person whose entire existence revolves around their choice in entertainment.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crazy Larry posted:

Nah, metal heads are way more willing to be open in public about the fact that they're a one dimensional person whose entire existence revolves around their choice in entertainment.

Have you met anime fans?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Have you met anime fans?

If I met them in public regularly do you think I would have said what I did?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Crazy Larry posted:

It's actually crazy how accurate this is for metal, and other types of music too. EDM definitely has fans like this.

nerve fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 9, 2015

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Crazy Larry posted:

I pass very well for a metalhead.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Crazy Larry posted:

it's more than just entertainment, it's like a way of life... man

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Business casual corporate IT metalhead checking in.

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Kilometers Davis posted:

Diabolic Night

https://youtu.be/4R1kAw_oCfY

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Possibly Chicken posted:

I wish Lich King's Music was as good as their social media presence.

It is actually, hth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb0D0-aMhpY

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Ditto. :hfive:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I liked that one thing garbage day wrote for the front page that was het's avatar for a while. It was something about the most metal thing is when you wear your darkthrone shirt under your work clothes and let the top of the logo peek out from the neckline.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

pretty much me except now at a very small business where I don't have to use headphones :getin:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
Who reps Incantation shirts at work? This guy right here.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I wore a Bongripper shirt to my last job once with a hoodie on, but I had the zipper like half way and the name was on the bottom so I assumed nobody could see. Zipper must have lowered and my supervisor saw and for the next year and a half there he exclusively referred to me as "Bongripper".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I don't actually own any metal shirts anymore, because all the ones I had were terrible quality and would eventually fall apart.

Are there any good European shops that sells good quality, nice shirts without all sorts of poo poo printed on the back?