Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

For what it's worth, the MB's upgrade from 1.1Ghz to 1.3Ghz is going to be $250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Pivo posted:

Shh, if you're under 30 you're a 'Millennial' since your formative years were in the new millenium.

I'm 26, I correct people all the time, just not at work because in tech there are a lot of new immigrants. I probably suck at their language too.

My parents were immigrants and I think I've been nonstop correcting them since I was about 3. With other people I generally don't bother, especially on the Internet, but this one seemed to be an opportunity for a good joke (ok, my standards are low).

Just to get back on topic, I put an AMD R270X in my 2009 Mac Pro last month and mostly it's working great. Won't boot with my 4K Dell monitor plugged in though (monitor works great after boot, and my other monitors work fine during boot). Good thing I almost never reboot.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

They can get the gently caress over it. :colbert: Learn how to speak and write properly dammit!

Also older people in my experience have way WAY worse grammar than millennials.

every age group has poo poo grammar. people with good grammar are a minority

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Cheapest place to get AppleCare for 15" rMBP in Canada?

B&H sells it to 'Muricans for $269 USD which is ~335 CAD but won't ship to Canada. Apple here wants $379 CAD. Not that it really matters right now, I have until October, but I may as well start thinking about it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Pivo posted:

Cheapest place to get AppleCare for 15" rMBP in Canada?

B&H sells it to 'Muricans for $269 USD which is ~335 CAD but won't ship to Canada. Apple here wants $379 CAD. Not that it really matters right now, I have until October, but I may as well start thinking about it.

Is there actually anything to ship?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

Is there actually anything to ship?

Yeah. The box with the code. For that one for some reason B&H doesn't do the automatic activation.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Nothing except a piece of paper with a special code that you enter onto Apple's support site in order to activate AppleCare. In the past they used to also pack in a CD with a specially modded version of TechTool Lite but since Apple abhors waste these days, they don't anymore.

Also see second post of OP about buying AppleCare from third party sources.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Also see second post of OP about buying AppleCare from third party sources.

Thanks dork, I know. I'm not rushing to eBay. But B&H is a very trusted retailer and often has crazy discounts on AppleCare. poo poo, you guys have recommended them before.

Wondering if something like that exists in Canadaland.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Pivo posted:

Thanks dork, I know. I'm not rushing to eBay.

Eh, that was intended for noobs and people just getting their feet wet Mac-wise. If you feel you must white knight people who want to rip off people who don't know about the scammers, go right ahead, doodyface.

Pivo posted:

Wondering if something like that exists in Canadaland.

Why don't you put on a robe and a staff and quest through the hinterlands, traveling the world by night, seeking a business that sells discount AppleCare that is similarly priced to B&H? Instead of uselessly gorilla thumping your chest in an internet forum? I never said anything negative about them, either.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 8, 2015

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Binary Badger posted:

Eh, that was intended for noobs and people just getting their feet wet Mac-wise. If you feel you must white knight people who want to rip off people who don't know about the scammers, go right ahead, doodyface.

I love you.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Thought you were talking to me ... poopyhead

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 8, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Between intense screen draw lag / laggy UI, Finder eating poo poo / hanging with no way to fix / not letting the machine reboot frequently, and a few other little issues I think I'm going to be returning my 2015 13" rMBP.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

BlackMK4 posted:

Between intense screen draw lag / laggy UI, Finder eating poo poo / hanging with no way to fix / not letting the machine reboot frequently, and a few other little issues I think I'm going to be returning my 2015 13" rMBP.

This is disappointing to hear. Can you elaborate a bit?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Scrolling through webpages is herky jerky, at best, sometimes this kinda thing happens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKMsEyzFaNc

When I connect to my 27" iMac over TB I often have to connect/reconnect multiple times before audio works properly.

If I browse network shares within about 5 minutes of waking the rMBP the thing won't load any folders in the share, then finder stops responding completely, relaunching Finder ends in nothing coming up at all, and finally when you go to reboot it just hangs with the wallpaper/cursor shown and requires a manual poweroff. This really, really pisses me off and is my main complaint.

It times out connecting via SSH to some of my machines, whereas connecting from the iMac that is on the same network connect right away. It's not a server config problem.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 8, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Did you try it with 10.10.3? Maybe it's just the crummy first-generation video drivers, after all the Iris 6100 is brand new as far as Macs are concerned.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Are you sure it's not just a lemon? That's a lot of drat things to go wrong at once. My first rMBP was a lemon in a weird way, I kept getting packet loss over WiFi every 10 seconds or so, on any network.

I took it to Apple, at first they wanted to put it in for service, I said, "Nah I'm just going to return it and immediately buy the same one then" and they did the swap. New one worked fine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Binary Badger posted:

Did you try it with 10.10.3? Maybe it's just the crummy first-generation video drivers, after all the Iris 6100 is brand new as far as Macs are concerned.

I just downloaded the update but I haven't used it yet. In the middle of coding a project and I haven't wanted to set everything up on the MBP vs the iMac.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Scrolling through webpages is herky jerky, at best, sometimes this kinda thing happens:

When I connect to my 27" iMac over TB I often have to connect/reconnect multiple times before audio works properly.

If I browse network shares within about 5 minutes of waking the rMBP the thing won't load any folders in the share, then finder stops responding completely, relaunching Finder ends in nothing coming up at all, and finally when you go to reboot it just hangs with the wallpaper/cursor shown and requires a manual poweroff. This really, really pisses me off and is my main complaint.

It times out connecting via SSH to some of my machines, whereas connecting from the iMac that is on the same network connect right away. It's not a server config problem.

These are all not expected behaviors. If 10.10.3 doesn't fix it, I would clean install, leave it empty, and test it quick again. If it does the same, and you're in the return period, you should go get a new one.

Otherwise, go and get it repaired v

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm pretty unhappy with Yosemite's particulars and its performance on my 15" rMBP Early 2013. OS lag, freezing, drawing errors, clean UI font positions getting screwed up. I know some of it is Flash / retina related things like scaling video, or even switching between full screen apps at resolutions above "recommended for display", I'm just over it. Not over it enough to use Windows full time, I just want both hidpi- and Yosemite- related kinks to mature to total stability the likes of which I haven't seen since Snow Leopard. That's an ill-informed rant, I just want stock software not to crash or flip out.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I would never move back to another OS (I transitioned to Linux in ~2002, then to OSX in 2009) but I guess for my current usage cases the 13 rMBP isn't right. I suspect the Finder locking on browse after resume is related to the machine also not loading Google correctly for a couple of minutes after resume (sits there and times out).

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

My work Mac Pro (Late 2013) is running Mavericks and has almost none of these issues except for some occasional sound channel Core Audio nuttiness. I'm considering going back to Mavericks on my rMBP until 10.11 comes out & gets reviewed. Plus not dragging my years-long Time Machine footprint with me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlackMK4 posted:

I would never move back to another OS (I transitioned to Linux in ~2002, then to OSX in 2009) but I guess for my current usage cases the 13 rMBP isn't right. I suspect the Finder locking on browse after resume is related to the machine also not loading Google correctly for a couple of minutes after resume (sits there and times out).

That sucks. I bought my late 2013 13" rMBP in December and it's been perfect.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Scrolling stuttering is still there when browsing the internet, which I can deal with. If the Finder shits itself again then the computer goes back. I bought it on 3/31 so I have a few more days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bring it back!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

I'm curious if anyone here thinks there is any credence to this: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/07/lg-leaks-8k-imac/

Seems like it would require video hardware Apple isn't likely to put in an iMac to actually pull off.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MrChupon posted:

I'm curious if anyone here thinks there is any credence to this: http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/07/lg-leaks-8k-imac/

Seems like it would require video hardware Apple isn't likely to put in an iMac to actually pull off.

Could do something goofy with like dual-GPUs driving half the screen each or something.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

MrChupon posted:

It sounds wrong for anything that would be considered a desktop-size monitor, a world still squarely one foot in 1080p. 4K makes sense for the Retina 1080p 21″ iMac, but 8K doesn't make any sense to me anywhere. 8K's the realm of television displays. It sounds like a mistake, or a leak about some prototype "Apple TV Display" confused as an iMac by the copywriter, and why would the copywriter know about some other company's secret prototype anyway. But even then, there's hardly even 4K content right now.

If it were for a desktop, it would also require the creation of @4x art assets for all apps, similar to how they need @2x today.

Triglav fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 9, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

Scrolling stuttering is still there when browsing the internet, which I can deal with. If the Finder shits itself again then the computer goes back. I bought it on 3/31 so I have a few more days.

Tried the 10.10.3 combo update?

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1804?locale=en_US

The update from the App Store is usually only the delta update.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

kuskus posted:

The base i5 doesn't have hyperthreading, so get the i7 if you're using things like the Cineware After Effects plugin. Look at your costs after i7 / GPU / RAM tweaks and strongly look at the Mac Pro, though. Those twin GPUs are a dream for Mercury Playback engine and blasting multiple encodes in Media Encoder. Many more things support OpenCL now. If you must have 4K/5K display and choose Mac Pro, get a 3rd party monitor.
I'm also an editor / VFX.

Good to know, thanks! It's been way too long since I've upgraded.

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

TheQat posted:

Not to derail too much but the concept of "proper" grammar is considered racist/classist by some millenials at this point

And by most people who study language.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I got a brand new 2015 13" rMBP right after they came out, but I haven't really had any problems. I haven't personally experienced any kind of intense screen lag. Are there particular sites that are just abnormally bad for the lag? Are you using a ton of memory, or is it only when connected to large external displays?

Unfortunately I don't use any network shares so I can't comment on your other issue, which could easily be just bad software. Sometimes I wish I could have just gotten my computer with mavericks, I'm sure that would have been good enough. I hate fancy poo poo, in my experience it's almost always a terrible goddamn mess when things try to get too fancy for no good reason.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ratbert90 posted:

They can get the gently caress over it. :colbert: Learn how to speak and write properly dammit!

Also older people in my experience have way WAY worse grammar than millennials.

Yeah but, the sad part is that there actually is a huge racial/class issue at play with what is/isn't acceptable as "good" grammar and it totally has damaging effects.

I think everybody would agree that there are racially/regionally-associated patterns of speech that are generally considered to be bad grammar ("talking black", etc). But these are basically dialects at this point. They've been around since forever, really (since black people were brought to America), and they've just been evolving ever since. That evolutionary pattern's been driven by society (things like slavery/poverty/educational and economic resources/and, of course, racism and decades of segregation) throughout history and its status as "bad" owes a lot to that baggage.

It also goes without saying that displaying bad grammar has real effects on how one is treated by others in general, and maybe more importantly- how one is treated by law enforcement/the legal system, how one is treated by medical professionals, how one is treated by the educational system (test fairness, level of acheivement and opportunities made available), how one is treated politically, and of course how one is treated in the job market.

Society isn't going to change its position on this so the onus is on kids from the areas/conditions strong in the undesirable vernacular to either eliminate it entirely or learn how to effectively code switch (the ability to switch between multiple linguistic varieties/vernaculars)

My girlfriend is getting her M.Ed and teaching in an inner-city high school and most of the kids fall into two categories:
-recent immigrants/1st generation who don't understand the importance of code-switching and/or haven't had the opportunity/time to really learn how to do it.
-black kids who have internalized the idea that they're never going to get out of poverty and that they're dumb/lazy so why bother/gently caress the man or have simply never been extensively taught how.

There's a strong community influence to maintain the dialect so it's really difficult to give kids adequate practice. Most linguists agree that it takes roughly four years of learning to gain academic fluency in a language and there's really no way to teach that without adopting some seriously un-public school policies and putting more strain on over-fried teachers. Also a lot of older teachers are so jaded by everything else that's wrong with urban public schools (which is basically everything) and years of hellishly impossible working conditions and seeing the system fail most of their students that they've given up on trying. And we live in the Boston area, which has the highest achievement in the country- and is a scary distance from how the country's worst districts are doing.

There's a really interesting/disturbing longitudinal study that I read once that showed how gaining the ability to code-switch early in life could completely alter kids' educational and career trajectories and adult socio-economic states when other starting conditions were the same.

Also, many of the kids my girlfriend teaches are 18+ and waaaay behind the national standard. A lot of them have learning disabilities that have never been properly assessed or treated or they were slapped with special-ed status as kids and it stunted their growth and self-worth. Seriously, it's a huge problem that nobody knows about- black boys, in particular, are something like 3x more likely to have some form of special-ed label and the discrepancy exists for entirely arbitrary reasons. Also a lot of them have to work and its immediate importance (these kids are poor. When it gets too cold, Boston cancels school while the surrounding towns don't because a sizeable number of students don't own winter coats) supersedes the importance of school.

Anyway, now I'm sad about education and I'm going off on the worst tangent.

So, any interesting Mac news? It looks like the idiot forums at MacRumors have an uncharacteristically high number of people who hate the new MacBook, so that's something I guess. :eng99:

Bob Morales posted:

That sucks. I bought my late 2013 13" rMBP in December and it's been perfect.

Yeah. I haven't had a complaint about my 2013 15" either.

MrChupon posted:

Of course there isn't.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

This makes me feel good, in that the "bad performance" here is not a patch on the effect Yosemite had on my Air. Any time I load a moderately complex webpage now (e.g. TouchArcade), I can see it render, perform a scroll gesture, and it's a good 5 seconds before I see any response whatsoever. I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but I never had any of these problems on Mavericks.

The more of these type of comments I see, the more it puts me off upgrading to a 13" rMBP.. I'd have to run it in an over-sampled resolution to not feel like a downgrade over my Air (in terms of screen estate, not retina quality), and I've seen so many complaints that it can't keep up with the UI, which really shouldn't be the case for a £1500 laptop in 2015.

At this point I'm hanging on for the Skylake upgrade, and hoping it will be a big enough performance jump that it can manage to animate the desktop without dropping frames.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Triglav posted:

It sounds wrong for anything that would be considered a desktop-size monitor, a world still squarely one foot in 1080p. 4K makes sense for the Retina 1080p 21″ iMac, but 8K doesn't make any sense to me anywhere. 8K's the realm of television displays. It sounds like a mistake, or a leak about some prototype "Apple TV Display" confused as an iMac by the copywriter, and why would the copywriter know about some other company's secret prototype anyway. But even then, there's hardly even 4K content right now.

If it were for a desktop, it would also require the creation of @4x art assets for all apps, similar to how they need @2x today.
More likely @3x actually, since it's a multiple of 2560x1440 as well. They're already doing it on iOS but I don't think there's anything in OS X right? Course Apple and most good devs probably have vector assets ready to pump out whatever multiple, but still that's more work when they just had to go through one transition already.

Alternatively just speaking in general here, 8K would be nice if you wanted a physically bigger screen, like still @2x, but just a shitload more space on a huge screen. I just want a retina super wide but I think I'll have to wait for DP 1.3 or 1.4 for that...I'd need to buy a new machine to run that anyway.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Eeyo posted:

I got a brand new 2015 13" rMBP right after they came out, but I haven't really had any problems. I haven't personally experienced any kind of intense screen lag. Are there particular sites that are just abnormally bad for the lag? Are you using a ton of memory, or is it only when connected to large external displays?

Unfortunately I don't use any network shares so I can't comment on your other issue, which could easily be just bad software. Sometimes I wish I could have just gotten my computer with mavericks, I'm sure that would have been good enough. I hate fancy poo poo, in my experience it's almost always a terrible goddamn mess when things try to get too fancy for no good reason.

It seems like I am memory intensive, but it happens all the time - made worse when connected to my 27". I think it's a software/driver issue, Chrome locked up when completing a 20KB download and took the entire system with it. I put the computer back in the box and I'll be making a trip to Apple today to return it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Really think it's a hardware issue dude and you should try a swap but if you don't like it, you don't like it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I like it, especially scaled resolution, so I'll return it and wait a little bit to get another so they can have some more time to work issues out.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

MacBook (2015) reviews are out!

A sampling: http://sixcolors.com/post/2015/04/the-new-macbook-a-reviewers-notebook/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/9/8372335/12-inch-macbook-review

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/09/new-macbook-review/

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-09/review-apple-s-ultra-thin-new-macbook

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 9, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Here's the gist of all these articles:

The new macbook is fantastic in every way except for the ports and it get's hot if you are doing anything graphic intensive because it doesn't have any fans. Get the 13 Rmbp if you actually want a laptop that is practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ratbert90 posted:

Here's the gist of all these articles:

The new macbook is fantastic in every way except for the ports and it get's hot if you are doing anything graphic intensive because it doesn't have any fans. Get the 13 Rmbp if you actually want a laptop that is practical.

New macbook for mom, Rmbp if you plan on doing anything more than web browsing/email/music.