Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Autonomous Monster posted:

Wait a sec.

There's a dodgeball variant with teams???

Did you just hurl balls at each other like savages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pretty much. I mean maybe there were teams and I just never got the message?

Dodgeball berserker.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How do you even do FFA dodgeball without someone getting hurt seriously? At least I remember in Highschool people could whip the balls pretty hard, last thing you'd want is to be taking a ball point blank.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The reason why dodgeball is frowned upon lately is because the kids who are the worst at physical activity, and thus the most likely to be eliminated, are the ones who most need to be participating and getting exercise. The ideal gym punishment is running laps, not sitting down. But that doesn't instill the narratively appropriate tone of nerds being permanently and hopelessly inferior to jocks as an innate condition of their being because the system stifles improvement despite ostensibly existing to promote it. Stories need that kind of cruel irony!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I liked Dodgeball in school because I was awful at every other sport we did (I was always a good sprinter too but we almost never did any track) but I was a Dodgeball king and I got a lot of adolescent pleasure out of smashing people hard with a ball. Good times.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bongo Bill posted:

The reason why dodgeball is frowned upon lately is because the kids who are the worst at physical activity, and thus the most likely to be eliminated, are the ones who most need to be participating and getting exercise. The ideal gym punishment is running laps, not sitting down. But that doesn't instill the narratively appropriate tone of nerds being permanently and hopelessly inferior to jocks as an innate condition of their being because the system stifles improvement despite ostensibly existing to promote it. Stories need that kind of cruel irony!

I think the real reason dodgeball is frowned upon is because when I was in middleschool way back when and we played it, multiple kids ended up with bloody noses every time it was played, let alone the broken glasses and what not. We had actual dodgeball balls, and when one of those hit your face when thrown hard it hurt. Parents didn't like this! They petitioned the school! The school removed dodgeball from being allowed. Then re-added it when a parent donated a bunch of super soft tiny little balls that literally couldn't hurt anyone, and were really terrible to throw.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

School activities always need to be planned keeping in mind that kids will be intentionally trying to hurt each other if possible because they are enormous little shits.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I think the real reason dodgeball is frowned upon is because when I was in middleschool way back when and we played it, multiple kids ended up with bloody noses every time it was played, let alone the broken glasses and what not. We had actual dodgeball balls, and when one of those hit your face when thrown hard it hurt. Parents didn't like this! They petitioned the school! The school removed dodgeball from being allowed. Then re-added it when a parent donated a bunch of super soft tiny little balls that literally couldn't hurt anyone, and were really terrible to throw.

That's also a problem with it, but in pedagogical terms the rules of the game just don't work toward their intended purpose.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

KittyEmpress posted:

When we played Dodgeball, headshots were against the rules and got you put out and the ball given to the other team.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Cucumber Quest fans, please look closely at the first panel of yesterday's strip.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

youcallthatatwist posted:

Cucumber Quest fans, please look closely at the first panel of yesterday's strip.
oh my gooooooood :allears:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What am I missing here? :saddowns:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
DOORS SUCK t-shirt on the big guy in back

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/585584969310941185

paranaturalzack on twitter posted:

@gigideegee this is my original character, Nate Murnite

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Bongo Bill posted:

That's also a problem with it, but in pedagogical terms the rules of the game just don't work toward their intended purpose.

At my school, "out" meant that you had to leave the court proper but you were still allowed to grab and throw balls at people; if you hit someone you were allowed back in. Games got pretty hectic towards the end, as you were forced to dodge shots from all sides.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

dodgeball isn't about state-mandated physical activity it's about if you don't have a supervised environment where kids are allowed to wing regulated semi-soft things at each other and get it out of their system they'll just do it after school with rocks

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
The fairest game of dodgeball I've ever played was one were everyone hopped into the middle of a circle and two people throwing the ball stayed outside of the circle. When you got hit, you moved outside of the circle and could throw the ball at folks inside the circle. The winner was the last person left. The final two people were 'it' for the next round.

Incidentally, I work at a number of Japanese elementary schools and once, to end an argument between the girls and boys over whether or not to play their overly complicated dodgeball that I still don't understand how works, I suggested my version. This kids and the teachers loved it. Still, I might try a variation based on this comic in the future.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
The best part about dodgeball is being a wiry little nerd that wouldn't get hit and basically just infuriating everyone left on the other side as you hoarded all the balls and tried to nail them in the feet with it. Failing that, time limit draw.

Also we played Dodge Lacrosse one time and that was literally the worst idea ever suggested by a gym teacher and I swear like 4 or 5 kids almost died. The last thing dodgeball needs is weapons. Fun, though.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

This is the best fictitious -ball since Calvinball, would play

It's not that different from prison ball.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pik_d posted:

We played dodge ball on a basketball court, and if anyone made a basket (from half court obviously) that was the "release all your teams players" mechanism. We also had to stay behind the opposing teams basket, so we'd just collect the balls and throw them to whoever on our team was best at basketball.

The way we played it, if you were in prison and got possession of a ball you could hit a player on the opposing team to get out.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I just now got the dudes name is Ollie Oop. And his dad is a gym teacher.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Look at Suzie in the first pannel. She's about to kick some major rear end and/or blackmail Max

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Thanks for citing this obscure act of sportsmangames.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well I didn't know. But I'm not American. :shrug:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Oh jeeze I was re-reading a part to grab a picture, and only then did I realize that the author comment from here was a reference to here. That was a while ago, huh?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

People were talking earlier about Isaac not being visible, but he's sitting behind/above Lisa, kind of between Isabel and Suzy. He's wearing the white headband and his extremely anime eye is the rightmost thing in the last panel.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
That's not Isaac. Isaac's hair spikes forward, not straight up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Akett posted:

People were talking earlier about Isaac not being visible, but he's sitting behind/above Lisa, kind of between Isabel and Suzy. He's wearing the white headband and his extremely anime eye is the rightmost thing in the last panel.

That's Collin. You know, Suzy's friend, third Journalism Club member, etc. You can even see him getting beaned in the head with a ball in panel six, in color, making it really clear it's not Isaac.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
New page, more last names revealed. Johnny :allears:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Leper Residue posted:

I didn't even think of that, I thought that he was referencing the cave man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alley_Oop

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

XTREME *~Violence~*

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Paranatural: The Continuing Adventures of Ollie Oop and Johnny Jhonny

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Oh man this draft is gonna wreck some friendships.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Johnny bears a striking resemblance to Vegeta in the last panel. And drat he has some muscle, I thought he was more scrawny looking.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Isabel's shirt owns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Johnny is a bully fueled by the power of friendship and diligent athleticism.

And alliteration.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Luneshot posted:

Isabel's shirt owns.

And Johnny knows what color a real badman wears.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Guys I am so hyped for hit ball

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Luneshot posted:

Isabel's shirt owns.

She really knows how to coordinate headband and shirt, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
lizardmen