Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fried Chicken posted:

You realize the VAT he is proposing is how it's done in the rest of the western world, right?

American progressives want European safety nets without European VATs. They're either not thinking it through or all Modern Monetary Theorists.

To be fair, this is probably because American taxation is often regressive and America doesn’t really transfer a lot of wealth down in government spending. European taxation is fairly regressive, but their spending is progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rygar201 posted:

American progressives want European safety nets without European VATs. They're either not thinking it through or all Modern Monetary Theorists.

To be fair, this is probably because American taxation is often regressive and America doesn’t really transfer a lot of wealth down in government spending. European taxation is fairly regressive, but their spending is progressive.

Find a way to create a social safety net without taxation, and you could get elected. Otherwise its just another tax and spend policy when Republicans have learned from the naughty aughts and no longer tax anything.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rygar201 posted:

There is absolutely no reason to use VAT to garner the necessary money when income and capital gains tax exists.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Hollismason posted:

Just throwing things out there but Reasons that Cop won't go to jail because:

1. He will say he had PTSD , he'll get a psychiatrist to state that much like a soldier in a battle he was in a tense situation that trigged his PTSD which made him believe the fleeing suspect was going to endanger others.

2. He will say that the suspect told him before running away that he was " Running away to rape and murder some white kids"

Great that the cop is going to jail but what about the turbofuckers who were willing to cover for him

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Crowsbeak posted:

I have to say I sometimes wish I had your confidince in the justice system Amergin.

As a WASP I've never had any reason to doubt our justice system.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

baw posted:

Great that the cop is going to jail but what about the turbofuckers who were willing to cover for him

The defense is probably already trying to get the Freep mod staff on the jury.

What's a WASP? It an accurate term since wasps are the spawn of Satan (not the good one used to troll Christians)?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ron Jeremy posted:

I'm looking for highlights of horrible things republican state legislatures have done with their majorities recently. I'm thinking of thr abortion ban and the petty ebt restrictions mentioned in the last few pages. Anyone help me out?

Repeal of common wage, a few attempts at nullification, a few attempts at seizing federally controlled land, Medicaid cutbacks, using appointed managers and state level laws to usurp local control, basically everything Indiana has done...

Charles Pierce does a running series "Laboratories of Democracy" where he covers this

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I see you've done several posts, GF. Where's the one that actually explains that clarifies your question regarding SNAP, and the economic terms and exact information that you're seeking for it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
If you had to pick the best position within a Hillary whitehouse for Rahm, what would you pick?

Shageletic posted:

I see you've done several posts, GF. Where's the one that actually explains that clarifies your question regarding SNAP, and the economic terms and exact information that you're seeking for it.

Is SNAP a revenue-neutral program, in the timeframe between inauguration and the quarter preceeding primary elections?

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 8, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Officer Slager has been fired, per the North Charleston mayor

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

If you had to pick the best position within a Hillary whitehouse for Rahm, what would you pick?

Hitman?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm still waiting. I can repeat the question every other time you post, if that's what you prefer.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

Any statement from the union?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

My Imaginary GF posted:

...Monica Lewinsky?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

Secretary of Commerce maybe

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

What is going on here? This is not what I have come to expect at all. It's new and scary.

edit: was the person who submitted the video white or something?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Fried Chicken posted:

The video was edited to show Slager in a bad light -actually said on freep

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My Imaginary GF posted:

Doorman.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Stultus Maximus posted:

...union? In South Carolina?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

What is going on here? This is not what I have come to expect at all. It's new and scary.

It's only because of the video. It would have been another Mike Brown without it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Also from the police thread it seems like SC is surprising less lovely than the majority of the country when it comes to tackling police corruption.

But yeah without the video this guy would have been a regrettable but understandable causality in the fight against crime and blah blah

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gravel Gravy posted:

...union? In South Carolina?

https://www.sspba.org/gen/chapters/South_Carolina_Division_14.jsp

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Video exists showing enough that the DoJ is getting involved and North Charleston doesn't wanna get Ferguson'd over one bad apple.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not yet, though the press conference was interrupted by protestors so it may be forthcoming.

Mayor did expound at length about Slager's wife is expecting (8 months pregnant) and that the city would cover insurance until the baby was born

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Not yet, though the press conference was interrupted by protestors so it may be forthcoming.

Mayor did expound at length about Slager's wife is expecting (8 months pregnant) and that the city would cover insurance until the baby was born

As long as she doesn't buy lobster with the insurance money right

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly I'm fine with the city covering that cost.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Food taster, since no one would miss him.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Huh, I'll be damned. I knew they had a professional association, wasn't aware a union could exist in SC.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Video exists showing enough that the DoJ is getting involved and North Charleston doesn't wanna get Ferguson'd over one bad apple.

The last unarmed shooting happened immediately after Ferguson and they were just as quick to throw the book. I think they can tell which way the wind is blowing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

Food taster, since no one would miss him.

Let's be honest, Hillary is seeing if he'd settle for something less thsn Veep, which he really really wants so he can run after she's over with.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

The last unarmed shooting happened immediately after Ferguson and they were just as quick to throw the book. I think they can tell which way the wind is blowing.

Hopefully the wind is blowing towards a national federal investigation into this problem before more black people get shot to death.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PupsOfWar posted:

Heiner, though, is a fatcat Louisville financier.
How can you attack your opponent for being a Louisville fatcat if you are yourself a Louisville fatcat?

Are you honestly asking this question? Because if so you must've just started paying attention to politics. :psyduck:

The GOP will lie and/or ignore the guy's background. Even if the Dem tries to call him out "you're no different from me" isn't going to swap Republican voters.

nachos posted:

Except for the part where he would have gotten away had there been no civilian video. Though I suppose that's a feature not a bug.

And since he used a gun all those fancy Tazer bodycams would've been completely worthless since they only record when the tazer's used. No tazer means no video evidence of you murdering someone. Body cams on at all times? Not on my watch, buddy. :cop:

nutranurse posted:

Is this actually in the books for any other state than IL?

Wouldn't matter, the courts have been pretty consistent on "recording a cop in public is a protected action" and any state with a law on the books is going to lose it once challenged in court.

baw posted:

who exactly were these loving witnesses

Tazer, Glock, Smith and Wesson.

Hitman Manager. Rahm's the kind of guy who tries to look like he'd be able to kill people cleanly but he'd instant shoot himself in the face.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Huh, I'll be damned. I knew they had a professional association, wasn't aware a union could exist in SC.

They're cops though. Don't they get special privileges?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

We only see the underside of their thumb real quick but from that they were at least on the lighter side of the black-white scale.

Oh, and Slager's attorney dropped him as a client when the video came out.

There was a Michael T Slager defense fund up on Fundrazr earlier, it has been taken down now, as has the Twitter account that set it up (@CultureFight). The floor shitter is on the case, trying to get both restored

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

There was a Michael T Slager defense fund up on Fundrazr earlier, it has been taken down now, as has the Twitter account that set it up (@CultureFight). The floor shitter is on the case, trying to get both restored

gently caress these people

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I think Car Rahmrod's position will depend on how much money he raises for Clinton. So he best get to hosting donation parties.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Radish posted:

Honestly I'm fine with the city covering that cost.

Yeah, being an rear end in a top hat shouldn't deprive you of necessary services, and being married to one or the progeny of one definitely shouldn't do it.

The mayor going on about it as an attempt to walk the political line between the Freep nuts and the protestors, that was a bit cynical though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I hear that the verdict on the Boston Bomber will be declared within the hour.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

I hear that the verdict on the Boston Bomber will be declared within the hour.

'Guilty, death.'

The only acceptable verdict.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

'Guilty, death.'

The only acceptable verdict.

By your avoidance of actually explaining what you mean by what you write, I take it then you are not interested in an actual dialogue, instead of randomly re-iterating inflammatory facebook comments. I'll disregard any future comments by you as noise, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

How about Rahms position in any future Admins is Wall Street Hunter, where its his explicit job to find, charge and guillotine members of wall street. He knows where they hide and who they are evidently. If he's in public service for anything but self gratification he should be ecstatic for the opportunity.

• Locked thread