Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Gravel Gravy posted:

I am 100% for our all-printer currency conversion.

I for one welcome the day when all goons will lug printers for miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Replace Fort Knox's gold with print toner.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nonsense posted:

Hillary is very smart from her hard work, I don't think she likes being compared to some idiot writing things Kings wanted to hear.

He did write more than the prince you know? And that part of the prince was a burn on a Medici he hated?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Palin and Fiorina are vacuous. Period.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Don't try those libtard games here.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

Reminder Fiorina is one of the worst CEOs of all time.

Worse than DeLorean.

At least we got a cool looking car out of DeLorean.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Spaceman Future! posted:

Riding the train is awesome, the problem here has been completely misidentified. Trains dont necessarily need to get to their destination faster, they just need to get there more comfortably and cheaper. Recent trends have been about buckling down on train travel since the primary management in the industry are gigantic fuckwits who think their trains are ground airplanes so ripping out luxuries and adding more seats is the only way to fix their hemorrhaging business model. If your seats are cheaper and people can go get ripped in your bar car and then pass out on a leather couch or play some pinball next to a jukebox while making their trip for cheaper than a flight would be you will book every single train. People already have a soft spot for the idea of taking a train trip, but the price and dinginess of the current state of the industry makes dealing with an airplane a no brainer.

This sounds good but the numbers just don't work out like you think they do, at least for moderate to long distance travel. Even on very short stretches, like Chicago -> nearby major cities (twin cities, detroit, etc.) it's still going to be rough to make the numbers work. The ultimate problem for trains is that planes are just too drat cheap. What does competing on price and comfort actually mean when I can get from Chicago to LA in about 4 hours for just over 250 bucks? You can't, even if it was free your time would have to be worthless for the train to be a better option, because at 100 mph your trip from Chicago to LA is going to take at least 4-5 times what the plane would take. Remember it won't be a straight run, not to mention how long picking up new passengers along the way would take. Which then destroys your "comfort" argument, because I who gives a poo poo how comfortable you make it when ultimately you will still be in a very small area for a very long time. And this isn't even getting into things like labor costs, which will be massively inflated considering you have to pay 24 hours of wages per trip vs. 4.

I don't think the management are idiots, I would guess they ran the numbers and found out very quickly what you are trying to do won't work. Slow cheap travel is an oxymoron.

tsa fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 8, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
My eyes!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Carly F didn't already crater? What's the standard there now? An actual physical bowl carved into the earth from your spectacular failure?

Have to get off the ground first before you can plummet back to it in flames.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rotoscoping, old school 3D and campaign stickers, together at last!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, gently caress. Rand Paul is going to be the nominee.

http://www.dickmorris.com/rand-paul-cant-win/

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

i have money on rand paul because im kind of dumb and like gambling so this bodes well for me

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Joementum posted:

Love the guy in the comments calling him out for getting another prediction wrong.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Logikv9 posted:

Replace Fort Knox's gold with print toner.

An ink standard to back the dollar, eh?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is actually a pretty boss sticker

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Man, these Loss edits are getting increasingly abstract.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

Holy poo poo :golfclap:

No really what are we looking at? I hope he runs again. I want like 20 candidates.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2011/07/horrible-bosses-the-worst-tech-ceos-of-all-time/carly-fiorina

quote:

Carly Fiorina

Company: HP (1999 - 2005)

Biggest rear end in a top hat moment: Forced soon-to-be fired employees to train their outsourced replacements.

Judging by a resume that consisted of 30,000 firings and a 50-percent HP stock decline, Fiorina is a sure shot for any worst CEO list. In 2001, she suggested employees take voluntary pay cuts, and while 86 percent agreed, she still outsourced thousands of jobs overseas and implemented huge layoffs. A 2008 article in Entrepreneur Magazine touched on the employee morale during Fiorina’s reign: "A survey of 8,000 employees revealed widespread unhappiness about poor communication and poorly implemented decisions...Some workers booed the CEO at company meetings.” Even during her run for Senate last year, Sen. Barbara Boxer released a viral ad claiming Fiorina fired thousands and “tripled her salary, bought a million dollar yacht and five corporate jets” as CEO. HP cut her loose and offered a $42 million severance package to never come back. After hearing the news, employees rejoiced and supposedly proclaimed, “The witch is dead.”

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Of course Perry would visit Council loving Bluffs. The man is a perfect analogue for that place.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

The hivemind must really be starting to kick in, because I can't even look at that without seeing Loss.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

DaveWoo posted:

drat

Still not the craziest one I've seen, even if its not intentional

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Well, it is going to end in a loss, but we've still got a few months before those panels appear.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ah yes, judges passing laws = lawlessness. I'm really excited to see this guy in action.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

This dude looks like the quintessential Paulite

https://instagram.com/p/1OwcdSSAtQ/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rygar201 posted:

I wonder if it's this guy from Dave's article about the event.

quote:

"I feel like people blow up terrorism bigger than it is," said Tony Zore, a 28-year old consultant who was carrying a Gadsden flag that Ron Paul had signed years earlier. "I think it's something we need to address, and I don't think we should give up the sanctions. That's what I like about Rand—he hasn't been for war all the time, and he hasn't been against war all the time."

When Paul's speech ended, Zore located the room where the press was gathering to grill the candidate. He handed Paul the Gadsden flag. The senator signed it, and smiled for photos.

Could be, but I'm guessing that's not the only Gadsden flag Rand signed today.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

DaveWoo posted:

Have my miscarriage!

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

lol people actually exist that don't want Joe Biden to be president.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

tsa posted:

This sounds good but the numbers just don't work out like you think they do, at least for moderate to long distance travel. Even on very short stretches, like Chicago -> nearby major cities (twin cities, detroit, etc.) it's still going to be rough to make the numbers work. The ultimate problem for trains is that planes are just too drat cheap. What does competing on price and comfort actually mean when I can get from Chicago to LA in about 4 hours for just over 250 bucks? You can't, even if it was free your time would have to be worthless for the train to be a better option, because at 100 mph your trip from Chicago to LA is going to take at least 4-5 times what the plane would take. Remember it won't be a straight run, not to mention how long picking up new passengers along the way would take. Which then destroys your "comfort" argument, because I who gives a poo poo how comfortable you make it when ultimately you will still be in a very small area for a very long time. And this isn't even getting into things like labor costs, which will be massively inflated considering you have to pay 24 hours of wages per trip vs. 4.

I don't think the management are idiots, I would guess they ran the numbers and found out very quickly what you are trying to do won't work. Slow cheap travel is an oxymoron.

what about at 200 mph for 100 dollars a head? 2-3 times to get there but you can avoid paying for a hotel by having them sleep on the train for a night

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Venom Snake posted:

lol people actually exist that don't want Joe Biden to be president.

I want him to be vice president for as many consecutive terms as possible, making him the first 3, 4 and 5 term VP.

AtomikKrab posted:

what about at 200 mph for 100 dollars a head? 2-3 times to get there but you can avoid paying for a hotel by having them sleep on the train for a night

It's stupid, and irrelevant. We can go around making train travel very long distance better once say the top 50 metro areas in the country have a functioning and viable commuter rail system each.

Very few people need to travel long distance on a regular basis. They can put up with taking a plane or whatever.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rygar201 posted:

Huh, I've got that shirt. Something tells me he bought it for an entirely different reason than I did.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Joementum posted:

Bill Kristol recent said something similar, I'm a little worried to be honest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Faustian Bargain posted:

Holy poo poo :golfclap:

No really what are we looking at? I hope he runs again. I want like 20 candidates.

Perry making time in Iowa.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Bill Kristol recent said something similar, I'm a little worried to be honest.

Bill Kristol questioned Paul's grasp of reality. Paul must have transcendent awareness of space-time.

Rand for Kwisatz Haderach 2016.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

deoju posted:

Bill Kristol questioned Paul's grasp of reality. Paul must have transcendent awareness of space-time.

Rand for Kwisatz Haderach 2016.

THE SPICE MUST FLOW in an unregulated fashion at whatever rate the free market dictates.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Credit where it's due: Rand Paul is so fiscally conservative that he's already repealed his own campaign's tax plan.

How many other Republicans can claim that?!

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
ugh gently caress the idea of "Double Taxation" is going to exist until I die isn't it

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Jesus christ :lol:

I like the top right one. "N-neil! You're Neil."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

quote:

The flat tax would also eliminate every form of unfair, double taxation in the United States, including the capital gains, dividend, estate, gift, and interest tax.

so many people want this and they see zero of that, ever, in their entire lifetimes. gently caress.

• Locked thread