Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Coulson's grandpa killed 100 Nazis in a CAVE! With a box of SCRAPS!

This is the best post.

I don't actually have TV, so I get to watch the show the next day and I love reading this thread afterwards.

I think Bobbi and Mack know that Jemma is lying, they both seem to exchange a look after she says that the box is useless.

Goddamn, this show got so goooood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

I'm a little disappointed that they're doing shitloads of setting up Bobbi's eventual turn away from ReelSHIELD but none for Mack.

I think Mack's more concerned about losing Fitz as his buddy :smith:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Yeah, I can understand their stance on powers, even if they're wrong, they're understandably wrong.

But every time someone (Adama) complains about how REALSHIELD is all about transparency and openness and no one grabs his face and yells at him for being a spying, lying, subversive poo poo, and that his actions are the complete opposite of his words, I lose interest in REALSHIELD a little more. It's such a huge elephant in the room at this point, and they've never done more than dance around it for like one line of dialog.

Also, the 'Gramps killed 100 nazis with this handgun' was stupid on so many levels.

I also loved his speech about how "We cannot afford to be enemies to each other, when there are new threats out there waiting for a moment we are at our weakest. A house built on shifting sand will fall, and without a strong and united foundation, S.H.I.E.L.D. will fall again.” Um, rear end in a top hat??? YOU'RE the one turning against Shield and hiding for months without supporting Coulson so that you could backstab him. If Shield falls its completely on him, Coulson has done fine work so far.

PierreTheMime posted:

Well the difference is that Mack isn't seeing a lot of what Bobbi is and is still essentially a true believer, he just wants to save his lil' buddy Turbo from what he believes is the wrong path.

Did anyone else get the impression that the guy Hydra murdered in the flashback was Macks like, proto-Fitz? Or that he's attached to Fitz because he reminds him of the other guy? We barely saw him but I could see that being a neat thing thats true.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nephthys posted:

Did anyone else get the impression that the guy Hydra murdered in the flashback was Macks like, proto-Fitz? Or that he's attached to Fitz because he reminds him of the other guy? We barely saw him but I could see that being a neat thing thats true.

Oh yeah, definitely.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
This show is really good these days! The large amounts of talking is completely fine considering what is actually happening and what they are talking about, they do say the line "We need to know what's inside that box!" (I heard EJOs voice when I wrote that) or some variation of it a bit much but I think that's in part to showcase RealShields singlemindedness and narrow world view whereas Coulson is the big picture guy who is still thinking about Hydra during a coup and prefers to play it straight if he can.

Loved FitzSimmons sleight of hand, loved that Coulson asked them to make him a 21st century Howling Commandos briefcase and I hope we see more of it, loved Deathlok out of nowhere, loved the scenes with Cal that poor broken man, could take or leave Raina tbh, would have liked more Dairy Johnson origin story progress but still happy she's finally with the Inhumans. Fun TV!

edit:

Nephthys posted:

Absolutely, Mack needs a scrawny white tech whiz in his life :)

Martout fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 8, 2015

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
quote is not edit :(

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I liked that the first thing we saw in the Modern Howling Commandos Toolkit was a pile of cash. Some of it is probably gadgets, but it's also a useful thing to have on hand.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Bruceski posted:

I liked that the first thing we saw in the Modern Howling Commandos Toolkit was a pile of cash. Some of it is probably gadgets, but it's also a useful thing to have on hand.

This is also a nice payoff (:haw:) for the opening scene of Coulson dickering for a cheap vehicle on the carlot. He has a ton of cash and goes for value. He's protecting the American people.... From high prices.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

Codependent Poster posted:

Coulson's grandpa killed 100 Nazis in a CAVE! With a box of SCRAPS!

This is a severely underappreciated post.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Now I'm just mad that the taxi driver wasn't Ward going "...is that pesto aioli?"

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Jetfire posted:

Now I'm just mad that the taxi driver wasn't Ward going "...is that pesto aioli?"

Yeah, I was expecting that too. :v:

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite Coulson moment was when he actually reconsidered whether BoatSHIELD had a point while hiding in the cabin, and how important to him it was to not harm SHIELD operatives, even when they were coming after him.

I think the Inhumans are cruising towards a a real problem with Ms. Poots. After the inevitable training-and-hugs montage they'll have the equally inevitable "Well, we think you'll bu MUCH better off staying here, but if you feel you need to leave..." conversation. She'll want to leave, the "Elders" won't allow it after all, and then Big Trouble will occur in Little China.

The "elders" may have more experience in dealing with inhumans than SHIELD does, but very few people have experience dealing with super powered super spies. Ms. Poots' capacity to be a pain in their rear end is pretty well off the charts.

I have to wonder if at least Bobbi caught on to what was going on with Fitz and Simmons. How many times could Simmons possibly pull one over on her in one week, right? She had to have let that happen.

I'm enjoying that Gonzalez has no idea why people are still loyal to Coulson instead of BoatSHIELD. It's not hard. He's the director of SHIELD. They work for SHIELD. He's their boss, and apparently pretty good at it. Just because BoatSHIELD threw a coup, and makes the claim, doesn't make them actually SHIELD. If they aren't tied to any governing body either, they continue to be equally illegitimate. At least Coulson has a history of opposing HYDRA and working with the military.

Also:

Rocksicles posted:

Adama also got himself a Battlestarship, what's not to like.

Khanstant posted:

Also, I get calling him Adama

counterfeitsaint posted:

But every time someone (Adama) complains about how REALSHIELD is all about transparency and openness...

hope and vaseline posted:

Adama is blatantly brushing off one of his key operatives' concerns over the handling of Skye's retrieval.

THAT'S NOT HIS NAME!!!!

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 8, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

OB_Juan posted:

Also:

THAT'S NOT HIS NAME!!!!

So Say We All.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

OB_Juan posted:

I'm enjoying that Gonzalez has no idea why people are still loyal to Coulson instead of BoatSHIELD. It's not hard. He's the director of SHIELD. They work for SHIELD. He's their boss, and apparently pretty good at it. Just because BoatSHIELD threw a coup, and makes the claim, doesn't make them actually SHIELD. If they aren't tied to any governing body either, they continue to be equally illegitimate. At least Coulson has a history of opposing HYDRA and working with the military.

The way I see it, Boatcrew operate with a board so that the organization can have trust in the leadership. Trust is the keystone of their operation, but they seem completely unable to foster it due to the way they operate towards Coulson's crew. They are in love with the idea of trust, but acting in a manner that engenders it is completely alien to them.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

OB_Juan posted:

I have to wonder if at least Bobbi caught on to what was going on with Fitz and Simmons. How many times could Simmons possibly pull one over on her in one week, right? She had to have let that happen.

Maybe but I doubt it considering the entire manifesto of REEL SHEELD is that they needed to recover Fury's Toolbox at all costs.

DeathSandwich posted:

So Say We All.

I love how basically every scene he's in may as well have been lifted from a BSG episode. They should settle Coulson's and his differences with a boxing match.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Xtanstic posted:

I love how basically every scene he's in may as well have been lifted from a BSG episode. They should settle Coulson's and his differences with a boxing match.

While Hunter and Bobbi do a stirring duet rendition of "All along the watchtower"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

What I don't get is the incredible animosity toward powers that NotdAdama fosters. Mack you can argue got mind-controlled so has a legit beef. But Gonzalez is really making this some kind of William-Stryker-trying-to-kill-all-mutant-scum sort of thing.

You'd think they'd be paranoid about hydra, given the crucible they went through, rather than random other powered folks that it seemed like Coulson dealt with far more often.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Azhais posted:

While Hunter and Bobbi do a stirring duet rendition of "All along the watchtower"

Tahmoh Penikett needs to be on Shield now. I realized that now.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Azhais posted:

And May tosses FitzSimmons toss Ward out an airlock?

Pander posted:

Agreed.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

PierreTheMime posted:

This is another reason I love the writing on this show, it makes logical steps without having to show the audience every detail. Last we saw Deathlok he was wondering off into the bushes to accept his emo-cyborg fate. Coulson is, at heart, a nice loyal guy, and wouldn't abandon Peterson to be used or worse killed because of a fate he couldn't control. Why not employ him as a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and give him a sense of purpose? Hell, knowing Coulson he probably offered to let him hang out at the main base but Peterson declined because he was too offput by people seeing him as he is now. The fact that he's a combat monster and an extraordinarily useful asset is also a perk.

I really dig how in the very first episode we saw some really problematic slow mo of the team taking down Mike, the working class man done down by capitalism, and that his whole story was basically a massive tragedy SHIELD was responsible for.

But between then and now Coulson has presumably provided care for the kid and recruited Basically A Good Guy Deathlok onto the team. It is such a good example of Coulson finding a better way and it paying dividends.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Vitamin P posted:

Coulson finding a better way and it paying dividends.

Pretty much the theme of the season, if not the show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Pander posted:

What I don't get is the incredible animosity toward powers that NotdAdama fosters. Mack you can argue got mind-controlled so has a legit beef. But Gonzalez is really making this some kind of William-Stryker-trying-to-kill-all-mutant-scum sort of thing.

You'd think they'd be paranoid about hydra, given the crucible they went through, rather than random other powered folks that it seemed like Coulson dealt with far more often.

You forget, the SHIELD old guard hates the Avengers, and kinda always has. The Avengers Initiative had been totally scuttled by the time of the Battle for New York, and everything that team did was completely against mainline SHIELD's wishes. Gonzales and his buddies wanted to loving nuke New York. Part of that was HYDRA, but there were also a lot of people in SHIELD who were just jerks.

For some people, you might be able to hold up Thor or Captain America as an example of a powered person you can look up to - but for someone like Gonzales, the fact that those people have become popular just makes him more bitter and resentful than ever.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Gonzales was just a ship commander, he had nothing to do with and probably no input at all on the Avengers program.

The powers animosity stems from the group's whole interaction with Hydra, who used powered people against Shield during the fight. In addition, I imagine people like Gonzales didn't even know powered people were a thing, or a problem until that point. Secret Shield prisons for powered people, secret Fury programs to raise the dead and gather the Avengers, etc. You could see all this happening in quick succession, see the world changing around them, and come to the conclusion that powered people may be an issue. I think, to a certain point, it is even a justifiable concern.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pander posted:

You're only just realizing this now?

Tahmoh Penikett for Clay Quartermain!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Gonzales and Coulson will be on that ship when Ultron takes over that the robo-drones start to destroy all the existing military assets. It won't be long before that's the final ship left in the fleet, and the only hope against the Ultrons... can they find a new home for humanity before Ultron finds them? Find out on Season 3!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Electromax posted:

Gonzales and Coulson will be on that ship when Ultron takes over that the robo-drones start to destroy all the existing military assets. It won't be long before that's the final ship left in the fleet, and the only hope against the Ultrons... can they find a new home for humanity before Ultron finds them? Find out on Season 3!

*Gonzales sinks the ship out of spite because Skye is on board*

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tarquinn posted:

Yeah, I was expecting that too. :v:

I keep expecting

CUT TO:
top secret underground bunker. We see the back of a head watching a wall of video monitors.

Agent Koenig
I don't know what those guys are talking about, this is the real Real Shield

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh hey, I think someone mentioned this earlier but it's nice to see it upfront:

This is the dude that Coulsen said he sent Deathlok to investigate, from earlier this season

Here he is in the end credits of Winter Soldier, being part of the whole Maximoff twins thing.

Never knew it was the same guy! Thanks, Tumblr.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yay, good to have confirmation that it's a connection to the Baron von Strucker Winter Soldier tease.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

BrianWilly posted:

Oh hey, I think someone mentioned this earlier but it's nice to see it upfront:

This is the dude that Coulsen said he sent Deathlok to investigate, from earlier this season

Here he is in the end credits of Winter Soldier, being part of the whole Maximoff twins thing.

Never knew it was the same guy! Thanks, Tumblr.

So we have an official AoU connection. Awesome.

Now if Skye shows up in the film quaking the poo poo out of Ultron drones while an army of Koenigs charges out of a fleet of quinjets....

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My wife points out that Cal said earlier in the season that he would be reunited with his family in the Afterlife.

:psyboom:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I did like Gonzales using some pretty pointed arguments, that Coulson has no idea what potential consequences might still be lurking after his revival, and that even Coulson at one point ordered May to kill him if it came down to it. Neither Coulson nor May had a rebuttal for that.

I'm not sure that Fitz switched the cubes when he was doing his big display with juggling the cube. He said "you might as well have packed my bags yourself". He was telling her where he put the duplicate cube, and where to put it back after she made the switch.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

My wife points out that Cal said earlier in the season that he would be reunited with his family in the Afterlife.

:psyboom:

And he did not at all seem surprised to see his "dead" wife alive. Now maybe he learned that offscreen after Gordon first brought him here, but I didn't get that impression.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So we have an official AoU connection. Awesome.

Now if Skye shows up in the film quaking the poo poo out of Ultron drones while an army of Koenigs charges out of a fleet of quinjets....

The big question in AoU is this: Are they going to do a Coulson cameo, or not?

Pro: It'd show a commitment to their TV franchises being accepted as continuity
Con: It'd confuse the gently caress out of everyone who saw Avengers and doesn't care about TV

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And he did not at all seem surprised to see his "dead" wife alive. Now maybe he learned that offscreen after Gordon first brought him here, but I didn't get that impression.

I love the theory around here that he sliced Whitehall back open and took all his organs back out and sewed her together again like a rag doll. That'd just be so Goddamn insane it'd be kind of awesome.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 9, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

XboxPants posted:

For some people, you might be able to hold up Thor or Captain America as an example of a powered person you can look up to - but for someone like Gonzales, the fact that those people have become popular just makes him more bitter and resentful than ever.

I bet you that he'd totally be cool with Captain America, both 'cause he was MADE IN 'MURICA and that he has a clear indication of his power levels, threat levels, and overall behavior. Of course he'd probably still end up fighting him in the end over their tactics.

Someone like Thor he probably would be cool with locking away forever. Freaking alien more dangerous than a nuclear missile.

Phylodox posted:

They could just throw something in during a montage. Skye reacting as Ultrons attack Afterlife. Fitz reacting as Ultrons attack SHIELD's base. May reacting to Ultrons attacking the SHIELD aircraft carrier. To someone who hasn't seen the show, it's just another scene of mayhem among many. To fans of Agents of SHIELD it's an awesome shout out.

The question is if SHIELD will even be official during AoU, and maybe only come back at the end. The last the movie going audience heard of them, they were dismantled and disgraced. It would be cool to tie things together, though.

ED: And I meant to make this one post. Sorry for the post spam.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2015

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They could just throw something in during a montage. Skye reacting as Ultrons attack Afterlife. Fitz reacting as Ultrons attack SHIELD's base. May reacting to Ultrons attacking the SHIELD aircraft carrier. To someone who hasn't seen the show, it's just another scene of mayhem among many. To fans of Agents of SHIELD it's an awesome shout out.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So, Fitz and Simmons are the best spies on the show, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

The big question in AoU is this: Are they going to do a Coulson cameo, or not?

Pro: It'd show a commitment to their TV franchises being accepted as continuity
Con: It'd confuse the gently caress out of everyone who saw Avengers and doesn't care about TV

I bet not. His role in the films is over, even having him make a cameo would be a huge distraction from what I assume the plot of AoU is, which has basically nothing to do with SHIELD

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Easy, just put a little yellow box in the content of the screen saying "*confused true believer? Check out Marvel: Agents of Shield #14!"

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD: Fitz continues to be the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pander posted:

He needs to play Sportsmaster on Arrow :colbert:

• Locked thread