Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

How old are you guys? Because I'm 21 and some of the ideas for high school reform getting thrown around are among the worst ideas I've ever seen. Making teenagers stay another couple hours at school would be more harmful overall than teaching creationism as a fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Chamale posted:

How old are you guys? Because I'm 21 and some of the ideas for high school reform getting thrown around are among the worst ideas I've ever seen. Making teenagers stay another couple hours at school would be more harmful overall than teaching creationism as a fact.
lol i dunno if i agree with that but yeah making the day even longer kinda sucks. I'd rather hs start an hour later.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

if you like your science class, you can keep your science class, have your high school experience specifically tailored to make you better at science, and graduate with a degree that says you are good at science. And if you don't like science, gently caress it.

Yes, let's make optional the courses that are most connected with critical thinking, problem solving, and fact-based analysis of the world around us so we can have "life survival."

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I would honestly cut low-level computer classes. Higher-level CS can stay (though I've only ever heard of rich white suburban schools offering it) but the vast majority of people nowadays are semi-computer-literate and you could very easily roll a basic "how to use Microsoft Office" (which is all those classes ever were in my experience, just dragged out and repeated for a year) into that life survival class.

Information and library skills are more important now than ever before. I don't know what kind of students you work with but the idea that kids just magically know how to use computers in a productive way is nonsense. I've had to spend 40 minutes getting kids to make simple graphs in Excel, much less use spreadsheets for computation.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

site posted:

lol i dunno if i agree with that but yeah making the day even longer kinda sucks. I'd rather hs start an hour later.

high school needs to start later but good luck convincing parents that it's a good idea

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't care what they do but I just want to make statistics mandatory because I'm so loving sick of seeing correlation = causation fallacies and lack of understanding of basic polling and sampling coming from people with PHDs.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

MaxxBot posted:

I don't care what they do but I just want to make statistics mandatory

gently caress You.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Mandatory firearms safety training in schools might not be a horrible thing.

I received firearms safety training in high school.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chamale posted:

How's this for an idea: less school, greater vertical integration of school as a business.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Stultus Maximus posted:

Information and library skills are more important now than ever before. I don't know what kind of students you work with but the idea that kids just magically know how to use computers in a productive way is nonsense. I've had to spend 40 minutes getting kids to make simple graphs in Excel, much less use spreadsheets for computation.
Okay but there's a difference between that kind of computer training and the bs typing course that is usually offered at ms/hs level

Dubstep Jesus posted:

high school needs to start later but good luck convincing parents that it's a good idea
Yeah, no kidding

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MaxxBot posted:

I don't care what they do but I just want to make statistics mandatory because I'm so loving sick of seeing correlation = causation fallacies and lack of understanding of basic polling and sampling coming from people with PHDs.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gently caress You.

Maybe not statistics, but at least the basics of argumentation.

Chapter 1 could be call "The Internet and Godwin's law"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gently caress You.

Maybe just sit the students down and have some dude yell "CORRELATION ISN'T CAUSATION" at them for a week or something. It's a very simple concept and vitally important for understanding a lot of things but for some reason a lot of smart people don't understand it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So Intro to Logic

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "No soy Hispano" ~ Jeb Bush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yVwNqerb_M&t=24s

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Maybe not statistics, but at least the basics of argumentation.

Chapter 1 could be call "The Internet and Godwin's law"

"Y'see kids, back in early-to-mid 20th century Germany there was a man named Hitler..."

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

This is from pages back but despite South Carolina having one, it is retardedly toothless and doesn't maintain high membership in anyway due to the fact that it is pretty much a null league player.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

MaxxBot posted:

Maybe just sit the students down and have some dude yell "CORRELATION ISN'T CAUSATION" at them for a week or something. It's a very simple concept and vitally important for understanding a lot of things but for some reason a lot of smart people don't understand it.

Here's the thing. It doesn't matter if they teach this or not, people will still get fooled. Most people know the classic example of ice cream sales and murders. That doesn't keep them from making false equivalences.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

site posted:

So Intro to Logic
logic courses aren't a part of every schools curriculum and its really hosed up

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joeburz posted:

The material can easily and appropriately be integrated into science, math, and language arts.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

joeburz posted:

Maybe add informal logic. I don't think high school students would gain much from analyzing truth tables.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Stultus Maximus posted:

The material can easily and appropriately be integrated into science, math, and language arts.

except they aren't

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Drudge was one of the first popular right wing news sites. Now there are a billion alternatives.

Drudge is still the Rush Limbaugh of right wing websites. Bretbart's popularity was pretty much entirely due to the guy being close with Drudge and Matt Drudge would constantly link the site. Even when it was a direct copy/paste from AP or elsewhere. He still gets an insane amount of web traffic every month.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

joeburz posted:

except they aren't

To circle this back to politics, remember one of the two major parties opposes the teaching of critical thinking. So if you wonder why education policy doesn't include more logic classes, that might be a reason.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

PhilippAchtel posted:

Maybe add informal logic. I don't think high school students would gain much from analyzing truth tables.
They weren't really worth poo poo at the college level either, but the course i took covered fallacies as well. That part should get taught in high school at least.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

They weren't really worth poo poo at the college level either, but the course i took covered fallacies as well. That part should get taught in high school at least.

Do you want to teach highschoolers fallacies and truth tables, or do you want to teach them the necessary skills to learn their own fallacies and truths?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Florida's House is currently debating a bill which would effectively extend RFRA-like protections to state-funded adoption agencies, allowing them the freedom to refuse adoptions to gay couples in response to a lawsuit that struck down a state law which prohibited all gay adoptions.

In a move that should surprise no one, the chair of the House Judiciary Committee unceremoniously shut down testimony from a 10-year-old adopted by the family responsible for the lawsuit when his time was up, rather than granting him a few minutes to finish.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

site posted:

National hobo convention huh? That's gotta smell great.

God damned right it does!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-08/for-some-wisconsin-state-workers-climate-change-isn-t-something-you-can-talk-about

:psyduck:

Is this seriously the marching orders that the GOP govs got? The only strategy they have left is just "don't talk about it"? Florida has been getting clowned by the media for weeks now, this can't possibly be a worthwhile plan for more than a few months.

It sounds like something the SCOTUS would love to review.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which course gets cut?

Phys Ed? At my school the level of physical activity was a joke, so the idea that kids who wouldn't normally get exercise were getting it at school was laughable.

Though I guess some schools have already sort of trimmed that time. My wife took gym class in the summer so she could fit in all of her AP classes and electives like band during the actual school year. I don't know if programs like that are/were common.

As someone who has taught college composition, I'd like to see high school students get some instruction in basic logic and reasoning. The inability of incoming students to write a coherent thesis -much less defend it- is frighting. I think being able to read and discuss things like news critically is a life skill that's pretty sorely lacking. Is it written somewhere? It must be true! If the average citizen was well-educated enough to suss out bias in the information they got, we'd be a lot better off.

If you need to cut something, how about one of the 3 times they teach early American History? It's just masturbatory.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Nonsense posted:

It sounds like something the SCOTUS would love to review.

I could see SCOTUS ruling Union Dues an infringement on state workers' rights but literal gag orders being completely fine

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

I think the most important part about education reform is that it should be decided by people's knee-jerk opinions and have no regard for immense amounts of research on the subject.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

I think the most important part about education reform is that it should be decided by people's knee-jerk opinions and have no regard for immense amounts of research on the subject.

It's funny because this is literally the Republican position

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rygar201 posted:

It's funny because this is literally the Republican position

Hey now, Republicans are very interested in the education research done at Bob Jones university.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Karnegal posted:

Phys Ed? At my school the level of physical activity was a joke, so the idea that kids who wouldn't normally get exercise were getting it at school was laughable.

Though I guess some schools have already sort of trimmed that time. My wife took gym class in the summer so she could fit in all of her AP classes and electives like band during the actual school year. I don't know if programs like that are/were common.

If you need to cut something, how about one of the 3 times they teach early American History? It's just masturbatory.
Yeah phys ed was a complete joke at my school. Got more exercise walking the hallways between classes.

Half my English classes were just reading lovely old lit books so those can go too.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

site posted:

Yeah phys ed was a complete joke at my school. Got more exercise walking the hallways between classes.

Half my English classes were just reading lovely old lit books so those can go too.

Yeah, a good solution to poorly structured courses is to remove them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Florida's House is currently debating a bill which would effectively extend RFRA-like protections to state-funded adoption agencies, allowing them the freedom to refuse adoptions to gay couples in response to a lawsuit that struck down a state law which prohibited all gay adoptions.

In a move that should surprise no one, the chair of the House Judiciary Committee unceremoniously shut down testimony from a 10-year-old adopted by the family responsible for the lawsuit when his time was up, rather than granting him a few minutes to finish.
Here in FL we just call that 'privatizing bigotry' :911:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Stultus Maximus posted:

Glad we understand each other!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My phys ed was yoga

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm hard pressed to see why we need phys ed. If you're worried about kids' health they'd do way better to learn about nutrition and cooking on a budget.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

site posted:

Okay but there's a difference between that kind of computer training and the bs typing course that is usually offered at ms/hs level
Typing is probably the single most useful course I took in school. Lots of jobs require wpm type testing. I'd say it's even more useful now since nobody writes anything and it's all done by keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

It's total pole riding but I love pictures of these two together.

• Locked thread