Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

A Big... Dog posted:

drat though these kids need to shut up during battle

Sharla, did ya see me!? Did ya see what I did!?

No, seriously, the constant chatter is one of the best parts of Xenoblade. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Apparently Xenoblade isn't selling too well in Japan.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'll love it if it sells better in America and they didn't even wanna bring it here.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

General Morden posted:

Apparently Xenoblade isn't selling too well in Japan.

I guess I hadn't really thought about this until now but was the New 3DS a success? Is it selling?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Help Im Alive posted:

was the New 3DS a success? Is it selling?

Nearly 2 million systems in Japan. 2 million people with the system. And its single exclusive game, one of the best JRPGs ever made, sold 50k copies.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Many people most likely already played the game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

In seriousness its a downgraded port of a several year old game, its not some great surprise or tragedy it's selling poorly

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

This really seems more a thing for us Americans who can't find a copy without paying through the nose for it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if they're ever going to release more than like 2-3 Nu3DS-Mandatory games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

In seriousness its a downgraded port of a several year old game, its not some great surprise or tragedy it's selling poorly

Yeah exactly. Xenoblade 3DS's big appeal is for people who didn't or couldn't play it on its original console.

There's probably the least amount of those people in Japan.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cake Attack posted:

I think most are hopeful of it doing well so that things like this would happen again, things doing bad in Japan tends to make it a hard sell to bring over to our shores.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Suspicious Cook posted:

Sharla, did ya see me!? Did ya see what I did!?

No, seriously, the constant chatter is one of the best parts of Xenoblade. I love it.

You're right, I'm actually enjoying that stuff now.

Loving the game so far. It might be the perfect game for my tastes. Sunk four hours in already after work :hehe:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I thought Xenoblade was good but I played it on the Wii... I have a New 3DS and everything but I'm not really even remotely tempted to repurchase a shittier looking version of it. If I wanna replay it I'll set up Dolphin or something and play with BETTER graphics and framerate than the original

edit: not trying to rain on anyone's parade who's enjoying it tho. If you're playing for the first time then congrats, the game rules, and if you're taking advantage of the portability then that's even better -- it's just nothing I can get very hyped about

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
HD Dolphin version is definitely the definitive version to be playing. I wouldn't want to sink the hours necessary to play it into a handheld that needs to recharge anyway.

I'll make up for it by buying X day one.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Yehhhh it's my first time playin Xenoblade so I'm living the dream rn

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm planning on getting it whenever I buy a new XL and I have a mint wii copy I've played for about an hour total. I'm that dude.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

goferchan posted:

Yeah I thought Xenoblade was good but I played it on the Wii... I have a New 3DS and everything but I'm not really even remotely tempted to repurchase a shittier looking version of it. If I wanna replay it I'll set up Dolphin or something and play with BETTER graphics and framerate than the original

edit: not trying to rain on anyone's parade who's enjoying it tho. If you're playing for the first time then congrats, the game rules, and if you're taking advantage of the portability then that's even better -- it's just nothing I can get very hyped about

When i played it on the Wii, it took me months and months to get through it because i had to share the TV with my girlfriend. Having it on the DS is pretty handy because you don't have to time sink the TV anymore.

Although, a HD WiiU version would have been aces, the second screen on the DS version is mainly used to show character health and the map, it probably could have been fine on the control pad.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Mannn, I wanted to get ABE LINCOLN VS ALIENS now that the patch is out, but Xenoblade actually comes out on Friday so now this is Sophie's Choice.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm gonna buy it, play it for a while, and then not beat it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I put like 20 hours into the Wii version when it came out but some other game distracted me from finishing it up + tv being hogged by my partner. Now any time I start my save I forget what I'm doing and lose interest so meh why not.

Also I'm that guy that cannot stand the game in Dolphin. I have an i5-2500k, 8gb ram and a 670 GTX yet the emulation is still poo poo years later unless you really love dropped frames and audio stutter. Sure it might not affect most people but audio buffering issues really detracts me from wanting to continue playing a broken implementation. To be honest that's how I've felt on any game in Dolphin.

Also the Wii pro controller sucked rear end.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Crosspost from the eShop thread:

John Lee posted:

Alright, I have a possibly stupid question that I was hoping some WiseGoons™ could help me with.

I'm a guy who lives in the US who wants to give a friend in Canada a download code for MH4U. How would I go about doing that? I'd prefer something that can be handled with cashmoney though it's not a necessity; My access to credit cards is limited, but doable. (We're both poor as heck, but we want to hunt monsters together)

I know that eShop cards I buy in the US can't be used in Canada, but that a hypothetical code I bought here would. Nintendo's website, though, doesn't work; they only sell first-party games.

Am I just poo poo out of luck? Should I look for some shady website along the lines of totallylegitgamecodez.com to find what I'm looking for?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't mind the downgrade in visuals because from what I've seen, it's a pretty negligible drop. I just wish it didn't come out the same week as Etrian Mystery Dungeon and weeks after Bloodborne. And during my finals.

Lemming posted:

I'm gonna buy it, play it for a while, and then not beat it.

:agreed:

Edit:

John Lee posted:

Crosspost from the eShop thread:

Buy him a prepaid Visa card of the equivalent amount so he could get an eshop card?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Huh. And then I could just give him the information over the internet, right?

Only thing I am worried about is that some of those Visa cards don't allow purchase of things outside of the country-of-origin. I've gotten four, and two have and two haven't allowed it, and it's pretty hard to tell by looking at the packaging.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

John Lee posted:

Huh. And then I could just give him the information over the internet, right?

Only thing I am worried about is that some of those Visa cards don't allow purchase of things outside of the country-of-origin. I've gotten four, and two have and two haven't allowed it, and it's pretty hard to tell by looking at the packaging.

Yeah, that could be a problem. Do they have Walgreens or CVS in Canada? See what US retail places Canada has and have him ask if they can take US gift cards. A lot of places don't even need the gift card present, so you could always just send him the gift card number and have him use that to buy an eshop card. It's pretty roundabout, but doable.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the 3DS version of Xenoblade isn't gonna be as pretty but it is gonna have some new stuff in it, like the bestiary and music gallery, and they're fixing glitches so stuff like the damage from your weapons is actually calculated correctly now. (the Wii version has a bug where weapon damage is min+99 and no higher, even if the stats say it should be, which affects all physical attacks and makes things like Attack Plus gems useless)

flyboi posted:

Also I'm that guy that cannot stand the game in Dolphin. I have an i5-2500k, 8gb ram and a 670 GTX yet the emulation is still poo poo years later unless you really love dropped frames and audio stutter. Sure it might not affect most people but audio buffering issues really detracts me from wanting to continue playing a broken implementation. To be honest that's how I've felt on any game in Dolphin.

Have you tried one of the dev versions? They put out updates for Dolphin basically everyday, and the performance increases from just the last six months are insane. Like, Rouge Squadron 2 and 3 would refuse to work or run like poo poo on any version of Dolphin released before December '14, but once they started working they became the go-to testbeds for fixing glitches and imperfections in the emulator.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

greatn posted:

I'll love it if it sells better in America and they didn't even wanna bring it here.

The original release sold and reviewed better internationally, against everyone's expectations.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, the 3DS version of Xenoblade isn't gonna be as pretty but it is gonna have some new stuff in it, like the bestiary and music gallery, and they're fixing glitches so stuff like the damage from your weapons is actually calculated correctly now. (the Wii version has a bug where weapon damage is min+99 and no higher, even if the stats say it should be, which affects all physical attacks and makes things like Attack Plus gems useless)

Have you tried one of the dev versions? They put out updates for Dolphin basically everyday, and the performance increases from just the last six months are insane. Like, Rouge Squadron 2 and 3 would refuse to work or run like poo poo on any version of Dolphin released before December '14, but once they started working they became the go-to testbeds for fixing glitches and imperfections in the emulator.

Yes after the rage on all the dev blog posts I tried a few versions and the sound buffering issues and frame drops still exist. The only true option to fix the sound issues in Xenoblade is to switch audio to LLE which takes such a performance impact you have to downgrade visuals greatly due to the impact on CPU.

It's great that they're working on overall compatibility but the issues I have with the emulator are fairly specific and will be ignored for quite some time until accuracy becomes more important than compatibility to the development team. Also last I read Dolphin is in a state of disarray because the codebase has grown to a monolithic mess and devs are afraid of touching it so another major rewrite is going to happen again which means stalled progress for quite some time.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The original release sold and reviewed better internationally, against everyone's expectations.

Probably because of the long Operation Rainfall campaign that was basically some really huge viral marketing.

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!
Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked to death, but what are the good jRPGs? I beat the snot out of Bravely Default and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and I'm playing through a few DS games like Chrono Trigger and Radiant Historia. I've seen some good stuff about Persona Q and the Etrian games but I'm a 3ds noob. I have the old 3ds XL.

If I had the new one, I'd try Xenoblade.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Just keep playing Chrono Trigger over and over until you die.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NISA NA has a Rodea the Sky Soldier LE up for preorder: http://store.nisamerica.com/rodea-the-sky-soldier

quote:

- Rodea the Sky Soldier (3DS™ or Wii™/Wii U™)
- 5.25" x 7.75", 35+ page hardcover art book
- 10-song, single disc original soundtrack with jewel case
- Collector's box
- Bonus Item: "Key of Time" Pendant with Chain

Wii U version is $75, 3DS version is $55.

If you have a Wii U, I suggest getting that version instead - the 3DS version has performance/camera issues that aren't present on Wii U, and it comes with the original Yuji Naka-developed Wii game on a second disc.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked to death, but what are the good jRPGs? I beat the snot out of Bravely Default and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and I'm playing through a few DS games like Chrono Trigger and Radiant Historia. I've seen some good stuff about Persona Q and the Etrian games but I'm a 3ds noob. I have the old 3ds XL.

If I had the new one, I'd try Xenoblade.

Try the demos for Etrian Odyssey 4 and Untold. Pick up whichever appeals to you more. They're both excellent and if you like whichever you play first, you'll like the other one too. (And then you can go back and play EO3 and then

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Try the demos for Etrian Odyssey 4 and Untold. Pick up whichever appeals to you more. They're both excellent and if you like whichever you play first, you'll like the other one too. (And then you can go back and play EO3 and then

That's not a half bad idea. I've heard a lot about the Etrian games but I'm dubious about the game mechanics so I guess the best way is to try eh?

the truth posted:

Just keep playing Chrono Trigger over and over until you die.
I plan on doing that anyway. Just need the occasional break.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i'm curious, what about the mechanics seem dubious to you? 4 especially is rock solid on that front

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AbsolutZeroGI posted:

That's not a half bad idea. I've heard a lot about the Etrian games but I'm dubious about the game mechanics so I guess the best way is to try eh?

Exactly and the demos are excellent - they're the first few floors of each game and really give you a great feel for what they're all about. I recommend trying both demos because EOU has a story mode which is fairly significantly different from EO4's create your own party out of blank slate character classes, and you might like one more than the other. And it's all free so no reason not to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is pretty drat awesome. I'm having a great time with it so far and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

I guess I could have waited 3 months and bought it for like 15 though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is pretty drat awesome. I'm having a great time with it so far and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

it's getting a fair bit of discussion in the etrian odyssey thread if you're interested in what other people have to say about it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I haven't bought it yet because I was intimidated by things that are different, but the EO thread has made it sound pretty cool. I think I'm gonna pick it up later in the month when I have some more free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Exactly and the demos are excellent - they're the first few floors of each game and really give you a great feel for what they're all about. I recommend trying both demos because EOU has a story mode which is fairly significantly different from EO4's create your own party out of blank slate character classes, and you might like one more than the other. And it's all free so no reason not to.

That probably helps seal it right there. I love games with good stories and playing Radiant Historia put a lot of initial faith in Atlus' ability to tell one (the only poo poo part of that game was the whole thing is played with the main screen as the bottom... Boo!"

Untold shall go first, thank you. I've heard good things about the Persona game on 3DS but I don't know squat about that series.