Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ufarn posted:

I was surprised how lukewarm the press was on the watch; was surprised that The Verge were as critical and analytical as they were, and even Gruber didn't seem like he could work up a lot of enthusiasm for it.

Yeah, in general I thought the reviews posted originally here were actually interesting and informative to read, as they didn't just gush about how magical it was. Useful and nice in ways a, b, c, with drawbacks and flaws x, y, z. I'm not used to seeing that from many reviews of tech stuff. Just made me laugh because gohmak posted one of the poorer reviews in terms of actually being a review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I do kind of wonder what these reviews would look like if it was the same watch but with someone like Sony or Samsung's logo on it

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I do kind of wonder what these reviews would look like if it was the same watch but with someone like Sony or Samsung's logo on it

See it wouldn't happen because Sony and Samsung are incapable of getting their stuff together well enough to produce something that works well.

e: See Galaxy Gear.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I looked at a comparison thing on the Verge and saw they gave the Moto 360 an 8.1 compared to the Apple Watch's 7 :shrug: Verge number ratings are all over the place, but 7 is basically their floor for something that basically works but they don't actually like. Anything lower is usually for something that is literally unusable in some major way. The wording in the review was definitely much more positive than that would lead you to believe, like what -DethStryk- said. Interesting to see.

shodanjr_gr posted:

See it wouldn't happen because Sony and Samsung are incapable of getting their stuff together well enough to produce something that works well.

e: See Galaxy Gear.

Other watches have gotten more positive reviews. The Moto 360 was pretty well received because people actually liked how it looked and, like the Apple Watch, the worries about battery life were overblown. An "Asus Zenwatch" also seems to have gotten good reviews, though I don't know much about it. Obviously those aren't Sony or Samsung, but they are definitely "someone like Sony or Samsung."

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 8, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

I looked at a comparison thing on the Verge and saw they gave the Moto 360 an 8.1 compared to the Apple Watch's 7 :shrug: Verge number ratings are all over the place, but 7 is basically their floor for something that basically works but they don't actually like. Anything lower is usually for something that is literally unusable in some major way. The wording in the review was definitely much more positive than that would lead you to believe, like what -DethStryk- said. Interesting to see.

This puzzled me as well. The language doesn't match the final score at all. Judging other smartwatches by the same standard should have netted the Moto a 5 or 6 on the same scale.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I've got to agree with the Verge on the huge animated emojis; they're just kinda strange and don't fit the slick pattern of the rest of the watch. They look like high-res versions of the ugly/weird things from those sketchy "animated emoticon packs" you could install into Outlook (and have some adware come along for the ride), back in in like 2002.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Other watches have gotten more positive reviews. The Moto 360 was pretty well received because people actually liked how it looked and, like the Apple Watch, the worries about battery life were overblown. An "Asus Zenwatch" also seems to have gotten good reviews, though I don't know much about it. Obviously those aren't Sony or Samsung, but they are definitely "someone like Sony or Samsung."

Other watches have 1/10th of the functionality and features that are on the drat things don't actually work (e.g. I have not read a single review of an Android Wear device which said that the heart rate sensor operated correctly and/or was in any way useful).

Jealous Cow posted:

This puzzled me as well. The language doesn't match the final score at all. Judging other smartwatches by the same standard should have netted the Moto a 5 or 6 on the same scale.

It's The Verge trying to be all edgy and drive traffic/clicks to their site. They've been on a click-baiting bender for the past year or so IMO (since Topolsky left roughly).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Why did Top leave?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Tab8715 posted:

Why did Top leave?

He didn't want to do click bait.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do any reviews mention how well using the watch as a camera remote works?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Rastor posted:

Here's another article about it. There was also the Computer Bild thing with bendgate. And going the other direction, there was the time Fortune documented the Apple PR pecking order.

Yes, if you are a hack (if you invent issues for the purpose of getting attention, in bad faith) you do lose access. That is true. That is also the way it should be - BendGate isn't a real thing. All thin slabs of metal bend, the ones with Samsung logos on the front included.

Every year the clickbait press invent an issue with the current iPhone. This is Apple trying to end that.

I would point you to the treatment the NY Times got after the whole Foxconn thing. They didn't lose access, they weren't 'treated worse'. Apple just wasn't as happy with them.

I think you don't understand the difference between acting in bad faith and saying something critical of Apple.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 8, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
wow, 7/10 is just a bad review.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

shodanjr_gr posted:

Other watches have 1/10th of the functionality and features that are on the drat things don't actually work (e.g. I have not read a single review of an Android Wear device which said that the heart rate sensor operated correctly and/or was in any way useful).

My Moto 360 HR monitor was almost as accurate as my chest strap (which I hated wearing), and it synced with my fitness apps. What else would I need it for other than fitness?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do any of the reviews go into more depth about the fitness functions? One of the reviews mentions that it takes your heart rate every 10 minutes, which is fine for resting HR, but it has to work differently when in workout mode.

Fave part of the Verge review:

smackfu fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 8, 2015

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

smackfu posted:

Do any of the reviews go into more depth about the fitness functions? One of the reviews mentions that it takes your heart rate every 10 minutes, which is fine for resting HR, but it has to work differently when in workout mode.

Gruber basically said he is a fat rear end who doesn't exercise. The Verge had this to say:

quote:

Its definitely nice to have these presets built in, but again, its all pretty much table stakes. Theres nothing that captures lifting weights, yoga, or other exercises that dont either crank up your heart rate or trip the accelerometer with movement. You can use the other preset, which will always give you credit for a brisk walk even if the other sensors arent returning a ton of data, but its definitely not perfect. And I found that the heart rate sensor struggled during my workouts, especially when I was really sweaty; it consistently measured about half my correct heart rate instead of my full 148bpm.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
It's not so much that they get blacklisted. You fall down the list on favor. For instance lots of places did not get apple watch review units, a select few did (probably based on size of publication and wether they will give a favorable review or not). This happens when Apple leaks something to the press, they pick certain papers.

If you don't get a review unit, you're not going to get that surge of traffic, or if you don't get that (planned/planted) leak, you're not going to get the huge boost while your competitor will. Most publications want to guard this giant traffic boost, while still reviewing fairly.

The verge can be quite negative on Apple products, rightfully so sometimes, they seem to be a bit guarded on this one. Nilay (Editor of the Verge and who wrote the review) did a Periscope this morning answering some questions, and one of his comments was something like...since we're on periscope I can say this....this is really laggy. He knows it probably won't be seen and recorded forever so he gave his actual opinion, elsewhere he's a bit more guarded. Gruber didn't mention app speed at all. Like it was said they've all kind of walked around it.

Edit: Specifically on the fitness stuff it will be weird. I think only the first party exercise app can use the heart rate monitor, anyone else basically can show data on the watch, but that's it, they have to get the heart rate data from their own sources. This will probably change in the future when the native SDK happens, but right now it's a limiting factor.

For anyone who follows fitness tracking devices (dcrainmaker.com is a great place to start), you'll find that most optical heart rate monitors are not great. The only ones that do somewhat ok are the Scosche ones, and the Mio brand ones, but still lacking against the current electro-chest strap ones. And compared to a Garmin watch (forerunner, vivoactive) this isn't very good, but I fully expect it to be much better version 2. It feels like this one is a value add for people who might exercise once and awhile (i.e. good enough).

zen death robot posted:

It being laggy isn't much of a surprise, the last thing you probably want a smartwatch to be is hot. Maybe it'll improve once they don't have a ton of debug code active on it.

I guess more specifically it was that apps took a long time to open, longer than most people would be willing to wait. He specifically showed the app screen (all the bubbles), and it was amazingly smooth, beautiful really. Most of the watch faces were super smooth, it was the "glances" and the "apps" that had the issues. All things that can be fixed, but still kind of a shock when we're accustomed to something quicker on the phone currently.

Edit2: I was going to link to the periscope, but realized it's all in app with no linking. Go checkout the verge account.

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

zen death robot posted:

It being laggy isn't much of a surprise, the last thing you probably want a smartwatch to be is hot. Maybe it'll improve once they don't have a ton of debug code active on it.

Apple has told press they will deliver an update that improves speed before the Watch launches.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RVProfootballer posted:

The Moto 360 was pretty well received because people actually liked how it looked and, like the Apple Watch, the worries about battery life were overblown. An "Asus Zenwatch" also seems to have gotten good reviews, though I don't know much about it. Obviously those aren't Sony or Samsung, but they are definitely "someone like Sony or Samsung."

The 360's battery was really, really bad at launch and fixed in an update to make it passable (if you consider the screen turning off every two seconds passable) later on. People just love the way it looks, because it is far and away the best looking smart watch, and overlook everything else about it.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

The 360's battery was really, really bad at launch and fixed in an update to make it passable (if you consider the screen turning off every two seconds passable) later on. People just love the way it looks, because it is far and away the best looking smart watch, and overlook everything else about it.

Sounds like another popular smart watch :D

shodanjr_gr posted:

Sounds like another popular smart watch :D

shodanjr_gr posted:

It's The Verge trying to be all edgy and drive traffic/clicks to their site. They've been on a click-baiting bender for the past year or so IMO (since Topolsky left roughly).

The thing is, they don't do that. Giving a 1st gen Apple product a 9.0 would've gotten way more frothing click bait rage from the internet. See the comments about "Apple making GBS threads in people's mouths" from this very thread. And in general, Apple stuff unsurprisingly gets really good reviews, from the Verge and from everyone, so I'm not really buying your argument about being edgy towards Apple stuff in general or the watch specifically.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

RVProfootballer posted:

The thing is, they don't do that. Giving a 1st gen Apple product a 9.0 would've gotten way more frothing click bait rage from the internet. See the comments about "Apple making GBS threads in people's mouths" from this very thread. And in general, Apple stuff unsurprisingly gets really good reviews, from the Verge and from everyone, so I'm not really buying your argument about being edgy towards Apple stuff in general or the watch specifically.

Sounds like you haven't read the site lately. Go to the main page and count the clickbait.

The new thing to do (if you want to drive traffic) is to write a negative review, and give a knockoff Samsung product (GS6, 5) a high score.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

zen death robot posted:

Review scores inconsistent? I never!

Go to the site. Count the clickbait. If you are unable to immediately notice that the site gotten worse (clickbaity) since Topolsky left....well..........

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

zen death robot posted:

I don't obsess over those things tbh so I wouldn't. It's not my personal creation that people are picking apart so I don't get too caught up with any of it. The score is usually the least helpful thing anyways.

Fair enough!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

enMTW posted:

Sounds like you haven't read the site lately. Go to the main page and count the clickbait.

The new thing to do (if you want to drive traffic) is to write a negative review, and give a knockoff Samsung product (GS6, 5) a high score.

I mean, I don't regularly check the Verge, but just browsing their latest reviews, the iPhone 6, 6+, and newest iPads all got extremely high scores, while the last 5 Androids before the Galaxy S6 were all around or less than an 8/10. Whether they're getting more click-baity or not, it doesn't look like their reviews are very anti-Apple. I think they just weren't that impressed with the watch :shrug: Edit: I don't actually know when Topolsky left or what his role was, though.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

RVProfootballer posted:

I mean, I don't regularly check the Verge, but just browsing their latest reviews, the iPhone 6, 6+, and newest iPads all got extremely high scores, while the last 5 Androids before the Galaxy S6 were all around or less than an 8/10. Whether they're getting more click-baity or not, it doesn't look like their reviews are very anti-Apple. I think they just weren't that impressed with the watch :shrug: Edit: I don't actually know when Topolsky left or what his role was, though.

Yeah, there was no reasonable way to be contrarian. But they look for one. It's not a matter of being anti or pro Apple, it's a matter of trying to drive traffic.

He ran the site. Immediately after he left we started getting buzz-feed quality content and the like everywhere.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 8, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Who gives a poo poo?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

I don't really care per-say but I object to an entire product being evaluated through the lens of people saying whatever for money. If we're going to talk about what The Verge thinks of Watch it should be qualified that they probably don't actually feel this way and have an extensive history of running content like 'hey man BEND' 'hey man THE DRESS' as if it were news or meaningful in any way whatsoever.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

zen death robot posted:

Maybe they legit weren't too impressed with a 1.0 Apple Product and gave it a more thorough review knowing it's a much more high profile product than a Samsung Watch. That would make sense, and would explain why their opinion was that the most people shouldn't be in a hurry for one

Maybe! But I doubt it. That review stands as an outlier among more reasonable 'it's pretty good! you'll want one, but wait until second generation' stuff.

Maybe the problem lies in Nilay not understanding or caring about fashion?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

enMTW posted:

Maybe the problem lies in Nilay not understanding or caring about fashion?

Obviously he's got it nailed. Wearing a studded bracelet is proof. It's like you see this guy with parted hair wearing a suit, then he's got this crazy hot topic bracelet to show maybe there is more to this guy than you think! :v:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Haggins posted:

Obviously he's got it nailed. Wearing a studded bracelet is proof. It's like you see this guy with parted hair wearing a suit, then he's got this crazy hot topic bracelet to show maybe there is more to this guy than you think! :v:

He looks like a cross between a goon and the kind of homeless man who would stab you to death on the subway for the footlong you're carrying.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

zen death robot posted:

Smartwatches are either fashionable jewelry or disposable consumer electronics. It just depends on what criticism you need to deflect at the moment.

Smartwatches are disposable consumer electronic. The Apple Watch is fashion.

Apple has been very clear about that, and it shows in every aspect of the product.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

enMTW posted:

Apple has been very clear about that, and it shows in every aspect of the product.

Yep, from the mickey mouse watch face to the animated drooling emoji gifs, this is pure high fashion.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

enMTW posted:

it shows in every aspect of the product.

Except for the part where it looks like a computer strapped to your wrist.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

enMTW posted:

Except for the part where the fashion nerds were complaining to the tech nerds about the materials and quality.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

RVProfootballer posted:

Yep, from the mickey mouse watch face to the animated drooling emoji gifs, this is pure high fashion.

If you aren't going to act in good faith leave the thread and don't come back. There is a fourm for zero-effort shitposting a couple rungs below IYG.

Super Dude posted:

Except for the part where it looks like a computer strapped to your wrist.

To you. And only you.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Except for the part where the fashion nerds were complaining to the tech nerds about the materials and quality.

That didn't happen. I've been seeing universal praise for the link bracelet and the loop. I haven't read much else, though.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

enMTW posted:

If you aren't going to act in good faith leave the thread and don't come back. There is a fourm for zero-effort shitposting a couple rungs below IYG.

To you. And only you.

That didn't happen. I've been seeing universal praise for the link bracelet and the loop. I haven't read much else, though.

It is in the Verge article, video, and WSJ video, so I don't know what to tell you.

And Apple seems to be spending an awful lot of time trying to justify the battery life and usefulness of their fashion piece.

At the end of the day it is a smart watch, and at the moment it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 9, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

IuniusBrutus posted:

It is in the Verge article, video, and WSJ video, so I don't know what to tell you.

And Apple seems to be spending an awful lot of time trying to justify the battery life and usefulness of their fashion piece.

At the end of the day it is a smart watch, and at the moment it doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Those are two entities not qualified to talk about fashion. I am referring to fashion-centric publications and watchbloggers.

Just because it is one thing doesn't mean it isn't also the other.

That is just untrue. You may not be interested in the new features it brings, but that doesn't mean it isn't bringing them.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 9, 2015

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

enMTW posted:

Those are two entities not qualified to talk about fashion. I am referring to fashion-centric publications and watchbloggers.

Just because it is one thing doesn't mean it isn't also the other.

A few posts above you specifically said it wasn't a smart watch, as those are "disposable consumer electronics," and that it was fashion, something shown in every aspect of its design.

Also, read the reviews and get the context before you comment on how appropriate the comments were.

Also, what market-shaking smart watch features is it bringing? I'm genuinely interested if I'm missing something.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I hope the fashion president approves the apple watch. I like the way it looks but I don't want rich people from LA and New York thinking I'm a dork.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

IuniusBrutus posted:

A few posts above you specifically said it wasn't a smart watch, as those are "disposable consumer electronics," and that it was fashion, something shown in every aspect of its design.

Also, read the reviews and get the context before you comment on how appropriate the comments were.

I don't know how to make this more clear.

Smart watches as a category are disposable consumer electronics. Apple Watch is different in that it is fashion oriented, built for fashion. With respect for traditional watches, not completely disregarding them in the way that Pebble and Samsung have.

Considerable effort was put into this. You are able to express what you want to express. You are allowed to choose a style that fits your values. There are something like 40 different skus, all functionally the same. That is fashion.

I read the reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

enMTW posted:

enMTW posted:

I don't know how to make this more clear.

Smart watches as a category are disposable consumer electronics. Apple Watch is different in that it is fashion oriented, built for fashion.

Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread