Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I was pretty sold on getting rid of my HTC M7 and replacing it with a Moto X 2014, then I saw some video samples. It looks like the video recordings on the Moto X 2014 are worse than on my M7. Did I just see some crappy examples, or does the camera on the Moto X kinda suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The camera on the Moto X 2014 sucks, not sure how good/bad it is compared to the M7, but it is way worse than my Galaxy S4 for sure.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
Unsure if this is the appropriate place to post this but here it goes~

Tragedy struck earlier this morning on my LG G3 in the form of a hairline screen crack on the bottom right of my phone, now ~1 inch of the right screen no longer responds to touch. Looking at my options here, how easy is it to replace with a DIY LCD/Digitizer replacement kit, and what are the best options for this?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

kitten smoothie posted:

They're finally putting month view back in the calendar.

https://plus.google.com/+Gmail/posts/gmF1LdnVbwU

About goddamn time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bobby2times posted:

Just got my S6 Edge and dont even care that I payed $100 more for a nightclock, it looks sweet.

Technically you paid $100 more for a legitimately better phone.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 20, 2018

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Zalgo posted:

Unsure if this is the appropriate place to post this but here it goes~

Tragedy struck earlier this morning on my LG G3 in the form of a hairline screen crack on the bottom right of my phone, now ~1 inch of the right screen no longer responds to touch. Looking at my options here, how easy is it to replace with a DIY LCD/Digitizer replacement kit, and what are the best options for this?

Generally, if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't be loving with it. Screen replacement is typically $150-$175-ish regardless of if you take it to a place or have it done by the carrier.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

MC Hawking posted:

No poo poo! Why even remove it in the first place??!

Googl'ed..

I don't know, especially considering it's still on the tablet version IIRC. Meanwhile the N6, for being a small tablet, just has a bunch of wasted screen space on the calendar. The calendar and music player really got the poo poo end of things with the material redesign.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Necc0 posted:

This is gonna sound weird but whatever: I really want to find one of the default ringtones that came with the original droid but my search online for it has been surprisingly difficult. Does anyone know where I can get them or, even better, still have their original droid and would be willing to pull it off for me?
Do you remember the name? I still have my Droid X and can check for it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I applied a tempered glass screen protector today on my Moto X...and took it off immediately. The edges would not stick down at ALL, and looked like poo poo. Not properly sized, either...too much of a gap between the protector and actual edge of the screen.

The size part I'll chalk up to a cheap protector, but do nicer ones actually stick down better at the edges? Any recommended ones? I went with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKCS1EI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess my own fault for going with a cheaper option.

Edit: I'm also mad that the Moto X takes an even smaller SIM card, and I didn't know that, so it's yet another day (well...half day) before I can use it, assuming AT&T will let me just get a new nano-SIM card in the store...i don't see why they wouldn't, but you never know.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 9, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Edit: I'm also mad that the Moto X takes an even smaller SIM card, and I didn't know that, so it's yet another day (well...half day) before I can use it, assuming AT&T will let me just get a new nano-SIM card in the store...i don't see why they wouldn't, but you never know.

They're easy to cut down. Google for a stencil and go to town, I did one just last night for my cousin.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Depending on a variety of factors you might be able to get a free replacement SIM from your carrier. I've been charged :10bux: at one T-Mobile branch and not at all at another, so who knows.

I wouldn't recommend cutting the SIM yourself unless you really need to save a few bucks because screwing it up means you need to hit the store ASAP or you don't have a working phone for a while. My sister tried to have one cut at T-Mobile and they apparently managed to gently caress that up and just gave her a new one. :shrug:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah, I was ok with cutting a regular SIM to a micro-SIM when I went from a GNex to an M7, because that was just cutting away plastic. But going from micro to nano, you have to cut off part of the metal dealies and not screw it up.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
So it seems the general consensus of the goons at this point is lots of disappointment in all the Android phones. I even saw Zom Aur say Samsung is one disappointment after the other.... in general it seems people have been fairly happy when they talk about the Sony Z3 stuff, and one guy mentioned that they have a good battery life. If you don't want a giant mega screen phone are they basically the best thing to go with now?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

MaxDuo posted:

So it seems the general consensus of the goons at this point is lots of disappointment in all the Android phones. I even saw Zom Aur say Samsung is one disappointment after the other.... in general it seems people have been fairly happy when they talk about the Sony Z3 stuff, and one guy mentioned that they have a good battery life. If you don't want a giant mega screen phone are they basically the best thing to go with now?

You have to understand that this is a thread by Goons who love reading and talking about Android phones. It's honestly hard to buy a "bad" phone from a major manufacturer these days. I agree with this thread that the Nexus 5 is easily one of the best phones ever made. My wife's cousin got one and immediately exchanged it for "anything Samsung, I just like Samsung phones better. They're easier to use."

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 9, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

GWBBQ posted:

Do you remember the name? I still have my Droid X and can check for it.

No not Droid X. Literally the original Droid. I don't remember the name of the ringtone but it was pretty normal sounding. My broken brain can't forget it for some reason and I want to have it again.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I applied a tempered glass screen protector today on my Moto X...and took it off immediately. The edges would not stick down at ALL, and looked like poo poo. Not properly sized, either...too much of a gap between the protector and actual edge of the screen.

The size part I'll chalk up to a cheap protector, but do nicer ones actually stick down better at the edges? Any recommended ones? I went with this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKCS1EI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess my own fault for going with a cheaper option.

I had the same issue, I got this bodyguardz one made of glass. I emailed them and they are sending me another style which is made out of a more flexible material, so we'll see.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

MaxDuo posted:

I love the droid turbo, why would you expect people to post in here if everything is working great?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

kri kri posted:

I love the droid turbo, why would you expect people to post in here if everything is working great?

This. My Turbo is fantastic (except for deafening me when I get a call with headphones in).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
LG is all bold about its upcoming G4 camera sensor - specifically low light performance. Can they best the S6? Their hype so far seems to suggest so. We shall see.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MaxDuo posted:

There are plenty of happy HTC (One M7 and M8), Motorola (X, G, Nexus 6, Droid Turbo), LG (G2, G3, Nexus 5), Sony (Z3/c), and Samsung (Note 4, GS6/E) owners here. And you'll be able to find other niche phones people enjoy too (looking at you Oneplus One owners)

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Ah, it just seems at the moment that the Z3 phones are the only ones I actually see anything positive said about. Everything else is a mix if disappointment and rage........ or "I have ____ phone and loved it but now gently caress IT BECAUSE OF THIS" basically. Maybe it was just luck of when I popped into this thread. Or selective memory from a week of drinking too much to distract from lovely cancer in the family stuff.

I just need a new phone soon... not sure if I can make it to the contract renewal at this point. My nerves are really bad this week and I've been on the verge of doing something that would break the phone several times. And no this isn't from the phone taking 5-10 seconds to do something.. this is from my droid4 taking anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes to do something. I can barely take this poo poo on top of everythign else.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MaxDuo posted:

Ah, it just seems at the moment that the Z3 phones are the only ones I actually see anything positive said about. Everything else is a mix if disappointment and rage........ or "I have ____ phone and loved it but now gently caress IT BECAUSE OF THIS" basically. Maybe it was just luck of when I popped into this thread. Or selective memory from a week of drinking too much to distract from lovely cancer in the family stuff.

I just need a new phone soon... not sure if I can make it to the contract renewal at this point. My nerves are really bad this week and I've been on the verge of doing something that would break the phone several times. And no this isn't from the phone taking 5-10 seconds to do something.. this is from my droid4 taking anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes to do something. I can barely take this poo poo on top of everythign else.

2014 Moto X is well received it's basically a nice GS5 for super cheap. Weakness camera and battery life but made up by price and voiceless commands. I've got a $140 off coupon I'd be happy to give you.

Also I think Sony is stepping away from smart phones while Motorola is bending over backwards on customer service.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

MaxDuo posted:

What do you actually want out of a phone? Metrics you should include are camera, battery life, stock software or not, size, qi charging, speakers, etc. Once people know what you want, they can better recommend something to you.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443835484"]
What do you actually want out of a phone? Metrics you should include are camera, battery life, stock software or not, size, qi charging, speakers, etc. Once people know what you want, they can better recommend something to you.

Physical keyboard? :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Stick100 posted:

2014 Moto X is well received it's basically a nice GS5 for super cheap.

Interesting how this varies by market - where I am the 2014 X is only available in 16GB for a premium price (somewhere around $850-900). The Z3 is a little bit cheaper, the SGS5 and M8 ~$600 and the HTC E8 and LG G3 (which I ended up with) are ~$500

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

MaxDuo posted:

Truth be told, I'm just very sceptical about samsung in particular. This is partly based on my own experience with them, but mostly just based on my friends experiences with them. One in particular has had quite a few issues with a few models, and when I asked him why he kept getting them he said he didn't know what else to get.

Maybe the S6 is a great phone, people in the thread seem pretty happy with it, but in my case samsung has a lot to prove before I'd consider buying one myself.

The moto and nexus phones seem fine to me, but I haven't had a chance to use either personally. I use a sony xperia Z myself and is rather happy with it.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Stick100 posted:

2014 Moto X is well received it's basically a nice GS5 for super cheap. Weakness camera and battery life but made up by price and voiceless commands. I've got a $140 off coupon I'd be happy to give you.

Huh, I was thinking super cheap meant more like $350 or so, most places seem to be showing it for (edit)$400 or $500. But it's nothing like what dissss is finding. If it's $260 with coupon I'd probably hold off a little while longer at the moment still, depending on how good or lovely my Droid4 is acting for the day. I really will miss having a physical keyboard as it's so much easier to just send something quick and fast as gently caress without even looking at the phone. But those days are never coming back unless somehow it becomes some weird fad in the future out of nowhere.
*(edit: I had found it for $500 then saw it $400 so I guess Verizon's just being more expensive, that's where I first looked when I googled it)

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443835484"]

Not 100% sure since I'd love my current phone if it wasn't crawling along as a dying corpse at this point. Probably something not a lot bigger. Over a 4"screen at this point since I don't care for screen typing at the current phone size, but less than the 6" screens definitely. Camera isn't incredibly important, just as long as the pictures aren't 100% garbage I'm happy. I'd like good battery life of course, don't want the battery to regularly go dead over a shift at work if I use it a few times. Speakers aren't incredibly important either, just as long as they play decently loud when all the way up for music and runkeeper notifications when I go jogging. I don't need an awesome powerhouse, but I'd rather the phone to not be insanely slow within a year of buying it.

MaxDuo fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 9, 2015

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

MaxDuo posted:

Huh, I was thinking super cheap meant more like $350 or so, most places seem to be showing it for (edit)$400 or $500. But it's nothing like what dissss is finding. If it's $260 with coupon I'd probably hold off a little while longer at the moment still, depending on how good or lovely my Droid4 is acting for the day. I really will miss having a physical keyboard as it's so much easier to just send something quick and fast as gently caress without even looking at the phone. But those days are never coming back unless somehow it becomes some weird fad in the future out of nowhere.
*(edit: I had found it for $500 then saw it $400 so I guess Verizon's just being more expensive, that's where I first looked when I googled it)

It's $360 after coupon unless you're on Republic Wireless.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Initial impressions of the S6E. This thing is a delight to look at and hold. It really does feel premium, even moreso than my iPhone 6 that I have at work with me. The screen is gorgeous. Going through and changing some settings / disabling things, touches feel more responsive and I haven't hit that millisecond touchwiz lag I'm accustomed to from the S5/Note 4 that shows up here and there. I haven't really installed much stuff yet as I just got the phone, but that's a good start so far. I'm also thankful they have replaced their god awful UI sounds from previous iterations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well, I've found one piece of Moto software on the X that I really, really hate...that stupid Spotlight BS.

Why yes, Motorola, I would love for a cartoon bug to crawl across my screen randomly, or some swirly bullshit appearing that will let me play some sort of...game? Technically?

Disabled it in Settings, but still a really bad decision on their part to put it there...seems so out of place compared to all the other low-key software that Moto installed, like active display, more voice commands, etc...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, I've found one piece of Moto software on the X that I really, really hate...that stupid Spotlight BS.

Why yes, Motorola, I would love for a cartoon bug to crawl across my screen randomly, or some swirly bullshit appearing that will let me play some sort of...game? Technically?

Disabled it in Settings, but still a really bad decision on their part to put it there...seems so out of place compared to all the other low-key software that Moto installed, like active display, more voice commands, etc...

Yeah it's kind of cute but annoying after a while.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Backglass on my z3c cracked spontaneously (afaik) the other day. Anyone have any experience replacing it? I must have sat on it inadvertently or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihw5N2brQ_4

Makes it look pretty easy if you can source the stuff. I bought mine used so I don't think it's under any sort of warranty anymore.

It's just hairline crack that I covered with some scotch tape in the mean time. Dunno if it's even worth worrying about.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 9, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MaxDuo posted:

Not 100% sure since I'd love my current phone if it wasn't crawling along as a dying corpse at this point. Probably something not a lot bigger. Over a 4"screen at this point since I don't care for screen typing at the current phone size, but less than the 6" screens definitely. Camera isn't incredibly important, just as long as the pictures aren't 100% garbage I'm happy. I'd like good battery life of course, don't want the battery to regularly go dead over a shift at work if I use it a few times. Speakers aren't incredibly important either, just as long as they play decently loud when all the way up for music and runkeeper notifications when I go jogging. I don't need an awesome powerhouse, but I'd rather the phone to not be insanely slow within a year of buying it.

I assume you're on Verizon, despite looking all over different stores, since you're on a (dying) Droid phone. The Droid Turbo seems to be right in the sweet spot for what you're looking for: 5.2" phone, best last-gen hardware, not best-in-class camera but good enough for snapshots, the longest battery life (3900mAH) not in a chinese special (~2.5 days if you're not a heavy user), has both wireless charging and quick charging.

It's a good phone. I would say it's the best overall phone launched in 2014.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you watch the stupid thing it will go away until they release a new one.

Just enjoy nice things!

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
My S4 just updated to lollipop last night and now the messaging notifications don't actually have the message in them anymore:

"Messaging: New message" isn't the most helpful notification. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it time to just move to a better texting app?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

swampface posted:

My S4 just updated to lollipop last night and now the messaging notifications don't actually have the message in them anymore:

"Messaging: New message" isn't the most helpful notification. Anyone know how to fix this? Is it time to just move to a better texting app?

I'd recommend moving to a good one like Textra or something prettier than has more functionality (QKSMS, Hello, etc). Kind of a shame it does that though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

swampface posted:

Is there an option under your notification settings for showing notification content? There is something like that on stock Lollipop on the N6, so I'm not sure about your S4 version.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

nerve posted:

Is there a consistent way to remove something like Google play music from the notification shade? It's sitting in there and I'm not listening to anything, but when I swipe right on it it just bounces back and stays. Won't let me do anything.

E: Immediately after posting this I just pressed the pause button in the shade and it disappeared

Mine has been doing this lately too, and it's pretty annoying. I think the behavior was introduced after the most recent update. Sometimes there's no little X in the corner to click on either, so you're at the mercy of the Android gods to make the notification go away eventually.

swampface posted:

Check the new notification/privacy settings that lollipop introduced. They're probably set to "restricted" or whatever they're called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 20, 2018