Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You're a week late on April 1st.

The new lens arrived for my Game Boy, and I picked up Dragon Warrior 1 & 2 at the retro game store for $16.95+tax. That seems like a good price, even for a used copy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kazvall posted:

Yeah, Heretic never got a console port. Hexen is apparently coop, which is cool. Starflight looks baller as gently caress, but I'm also a huge elite fan, so we'll see. I need to pick up Wonderboy 2 before I go and play 3.

Also, I've seen 4 copies of Daikatana 64 today.

Starflight is more like the predecessor to Star Control. It's far more advanced, almost simulation-like whereas StarCon 2 stripped a lot of the customization and RPG elements away. StarCon2 is awesome and Starflight is awesome. You have to deal with the unoptimal Genesis controls but you get a fast playing, graphical update of an older game.

Starflight is the full blown Star Trek game I always wanted to play. You get to build your crew, explore planets, fight or talk down aliens, harvest resources, it's better than all the Star Trek games that tried to be more than a ship combat game.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Neo Rasa posted:

Hagane: Final Conflict was absolutely not a Blockbuster/rental exclusive. I saw it for sale in Toys 'R Us when it was new as well as in Service Merchandise. This was in like Middletown NJ too so it's not like it was some mysterious Hudson leak across southern California or something.

However, to be clear not every single Blockbuster exclusive was clearly labeled as such on the packaging. Daikatana 64 as an example was not, and actually went on to an extremely limited retail release. These games did all have manuals too so that's not a way to differentiate a game from being BB exclusive or not.

Hudson Soft ceased operating in the US in 1995, and Hagane came out in the US in summer of 1995 going by when I saw it in stores.

What's most likely is that the game, which already probably had a pretty small print run, was recalled from game retailers not too long after it came out with Hudson's departure. Many retailers weren't stocking much in the way of SNES games at this time anyway since Saturn/PSX/etc. were the new upcoming thing.

So it probably went from low retail presence to only existing as a rental in Blockbuster, soon to be liquidated itself in the late nineties very very quickly. In other words, after a brief window, you'd only see the game in a Blockbuster which I could see leading to people thinking it was an exclusive.

Daikatana64 started as a blockbuster exclusive under a limited time agreement, then had a retail release. They did this with Beast Wars and it has 2 different boxes.

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 8, 2015

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grapeshot posted:

Unrelated question for the hoarderscollectors here: What games do you own without the system required to play them, and why?
Aliens vs Predator for the Jaguar, because it's Aliens vs Predator and I'm Xenomrph (I also have a copy of 'Aliens' on Laserdisc and do not have a laserdisc player).

In my defense I would like to get a Jaguar so I can play it. $150 (the current going price on eBay) is a bit steep to pay for a console just so I can play one game, though. :retrogames:

Also reposting this because I think it got lost in the shuffle:

Random Stranger posted:

Get a Super Famicom version. Significantly cheaper (about $5) and just as playable. The Japanese title is Kirby Bowl, FWIW.

Xenomrph posted:

I was considering that, but I was afraid all the menus and stuff would be in Japanese and I'd have no idea what was what.

I've played the game before, but it's been like 15 years.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
You could just check YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7rWl3Qe66E

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Xenomrph posted:

Aliens vs Predator for the Jaguar, because it's Aliens vs Predator and I'm Xenomrph (I also have a copy of 'Aliens' on Laserdisc and do not have a laserdisc player).

In my defense I would like to get a Jaguar so I can play it. $150 (the current going price on eBay) is a bit steep to pay for a console just so I can play one game, though. :retrogames:

When did they jump to $150? I bought one a few months ago for like $40.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

al-azad posted:

Starflight is more like the predecessor to Star Control. It's far more advanced, almost simulation-like whereas StarCon 2 stripped a lot of the customization and RPG elements away. StarCon2 is awesome and Starflight is awesome. You have to deal with the unoptimal Genesis controls but you get a fast playing, graphical update of an older game.

Starflight is the full blown Star Trek game I always wanted to play. You get to build your crew, explore planets, fight or talk down aliens, harvest resources, it's better than all the Star Trek games that tried to be more than a ship combat game.

I like any sort of retro game from the 8 or 16 bit era that has hours of engrossing game play with no real ending. Shadowrun is a pretty good example of this.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kazvall posted:

I like any sort of retro game from the 8 or 16 bit era that has hours of engrossing game play with no real ending. Shadowrun is a pretty good example of this.

There's definitely an ending and once triggered there's a Fallout style time limit. Really, Star Control 2 was practically a Starflight fan game it borrows so much.

The limit is pretty generous and unlike StarCon the game gives you a laundry list of tasks for some direction. It's open ended but also very direct.

And if you like Elite there's actually a decent EU only port for the NES.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

al-azad posted:

Starflight is one of the best games on the Genesis. It and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday were my introduction to more complex gaming.

P.S. get Buck Rogers for the Genesis as well, it owns and does not get the love it deserves.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

The only things in Japanese for Kirby's Dream Course/Kirby Bowl are the menus and really they aren't hard to navigate.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I don't understand how the hell can the second quest of Zelda 1 be such a pain in the rear end to complete compared to every other Zelda.

I've beaten all the other console zeldas except the NES ones but the second quest for Zelda 1 is just murder. I am stuck at the part getting the raft because the last 3 rooms require bombs which i keep needing to farm and a fuckton of Darknuts. And if you die on any of the rooms they reset instead of staying clear.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't understand how the hell can the second quest of Zelda 1 be such a pain in the rear end to complete compared to every other Zelda.

I've beaten all the other console zeldas except the NES ones
I'm confused. What's Non-NES Zelda 1?

Edit: derp, I get it now, never mind. I got my first NES a few months back, I should probably finally play it instead of its ripoffs (Golden Axe Warrior, Neutopia)

falz fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 9, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

falz posted:

:eng101:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBGF-jl-KVc

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Cubey posted:

Starflight is one of the best games on the Genesis. It and Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday were my introduction to more complex gaming.

P.S. get Buck Rogers for the Genesis as well, it owns and does not get the love it deserves.

Buck Rogers is worth it for the combat music alone.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I picked up Crimson Skies and 007 Nightfire for 13 bucks today at a retro store. I passed on Dark Alliance 2 for 25 bucks and Sith Lords for 30 and found them cheaper on Amazon.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

falz posted:

Edit: derp, I get it now, never mind. I got my first NES a few months back, I should probably finally play it instead of its ripoffs (Golden Axe Warrior, Neutopia)

You get the second quest if you enter your name as Zelda or you beat the first quest.

The second quest is the ONE TRUE ENDING to Zelda 1 which is really no different than the first ending because she just says THANKS FOR PLAYING or whatever because she can't reccomend a harder difficulty. But yeah it's much harder I didn't even have this much trouble beating Link's Awakening with zero deaths.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Taint Reaper posted:

I've beaten all the other console zeldas except the NES ones but the second quest for Zelda 1 is just murder. I am stuck at the part getting the raft because the last 3 rooms require bombs which i keep needing to farm and a fuckton of Darknuts. And if you die on any of the rooms they reset instead of staying clear.

I'll be the rear end in a top hat that says that the original Legend of Zelda isn't so much fun to play now that the formula it essentially created (and all respect for that) has been so well-refined.

I actually recently crossed Neutopia off my to-do list, and while it's a pretty drat obvious Zelda ripoff, it did sand off a lot of the frustrating rough edges. None of that Blue Candle "one use per screen" nonsense or having to grid-map every drat wall in the game with precious bombs.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Grapeshot posted:

You could try the industrial strength Velcro strips but the adhesive on those doesn't always last if it gets hot, and it'll leave an ugly residue behind if you pull the strips off completely.

Unrelated question for the hoarderscollectors here: What games do you own without the system required to play them, and why?

I have a boxed copy of Syndicate for the Jaguar that I bought because it's the only Jaguar game I'd ever seen in person. I have no desire to ever actually play it but it's sort of nice to have.

Doom for the 32X because it was a penny and I think it would be cool to own every console port of Doom since it's my favorite game and all the console ports prior to the PSX are comically bad.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'll be the rear end in a top hat that says that the original Legend of Zelda isn't so much fun to play now that the formula it essentially created (and all respect for that) has been so well-refined.

It was completely revolutionary for a console game in 1986, but the first Zelda is really rough. I think the fact that it's still relatively playable is a testament to the skill of all of the developers at Nintendo.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

It was completely revolutionary for a console game in 1986, but the first Zelda is really rough. I think the fact that it's still relatively playable is a testament to the skill of all of the developers at Nintendo.

Right! It's still a joy to look at and listen to, the maps are gorgeous and easily internalized, and the controls are super-tight. I just wouldn't touch it again without a guide.

Similarly, I hear that Finnish overhaul of Simon's Quest actually hatches the game into something more closely resembling the ambition of its makers, but I haven't played it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Pages and pages ago, I know. But no one commented on the real prize in this lot.... Mr. Kitty Cat! :buddy: I like your cat and you should post him in the feline thread in YOSPOS, if you haven't already (I've only read up to summer of last year).

On topic - is the Zelda 1 second quest also on the FDS version? Did Japan get a cartridge release of it?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

On topic - is the Zelda 1 second quest also on the FDS version? Did Japan get a cartridge release of it?

I believe the second quest was there right from the start with the FDS version. As for a Japanese cart version, one did come out. It was the very last Famicom game Nintendo released, coming out on the same day with Wario's Woods in 1993.

However, it's not especially rare. It also comes in a cool, dark green cart. (I love the rainbow of Famicom carts which is why I used it as the cover for the Gamecenter CX book.)

Similarly, I hear that Finnish overhaul of Simon's Quest actually hatches the game into something more closely resembling the ambition of its makers, but I haven't played it.

I think Simon's Quest isn't half bad. There's a couple of rough patches caused by the weird lack of hints and it was over twenty years before I knew Dracula had a second form in that game, but I find it pretty enjoyable. Especially compared to Zelda 2.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know how any Japanese person played Simon's Quest on FDS. It's like a full minute between screens. It's Commodore 64 levels of bad but at least you usually had to wait only after the start screen with C64 games.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
zelda 1 is amazing. i hate you dumb people. (i dont really hate you dumb people).
Why are tablet games not as good as nes games?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

cosmicjim posted:

zelda 1 is amazing. i hate you dumb people. (i dont really hate you dumb people).

Have you even played the second quest in Zelda 1?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

cosmicjim posted:

Why are tablet games not as good as nes games?

Controls are worse unless you design a game specifically for them, and are then generally slower than a controller and less precise. Most things developed for tablets are by inexperienced studios or studios that don't really give a poo poo and put out a minimal effort product.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ironically tablets and the NES share one major thing in common: developers with no working knowledge of the system poo poo out half baked platformers for some reason.

But there are good tablet games buried under the garbage and of course they all take their strengths from the platform. Steven Universe is a fun RPG-lite throwback to the Paper Mario style. Spiderweb Software has some very well done ports. All of the Fighting Fantasy/Steve Jackson updates are amazing, I thought I'd never rekindle my love of game books. FTL plays great, King of Dragon Pass' tablet version is better than the original PC version, Monument Valley is short but sweet, Autumn Dynasty, Out There (which just got a Steam update), and some Emily Short text adventures which are always good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

al-azad posted:

Ironically tablets and the NES share one major thing in common: developers with no working knowledge of the system poo poo out half baked platformers for some reason.

But there are good tablet games buried under the garbage and of course they all take their strengths from the platform. Steven Universe is a fun RPG-lite throwback to the Paper Mario style. Spiderweb Software has some very well done ports. All of the Fighting Fantasy/Steve Jackson updates are amazing, I thought I'd never rekindle my love of game books. FTL plays great, King of Dragon Pass' tablet version is better than the original PC version, Monument Valley is short but sweet, Autumn Dynasty, Out There (which just got a Steam update), and some Emily Short text adventures which are always good.

To be honest, half-baked platformers remained a step up from the Atari 2600 shovelware paradigm of "slap an obscure label/license on a half assed space shooter sort of thing".

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Hey now Pepsi Invaders is timeless.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Post to fix the thread.

I got Echo Night Beyond recently. It's an interesting little game, and very tense.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I spent money(not a large sum of money) to get Dino City only to find out that I have the Super Famicom version already and it's just called Dino Wars but I can't read Japanese so I didn't know it was called Dino Wars.

Not only that the box art is really cutsey and is really not fitting for a game with the word "Wars" in it's name. Also there was a made for TV movie that the game was based on and I remember seeing it, but I always thought it was some weird fever dream that I had about Whoopie Goldberg and Dinosaurs.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Discount Viscount posted:

Hey now Pepsi Invaders is timeless.

Welp. I guess I finally found the point where mine and the GF's collections converge. Good thing it's nice and :retrogames:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

So are you saying that the original felt... un-Finnished? :smug:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
SoCal Retro Goons, SC3 just announced their next event for May 9th at Arcade 2084 in Anaheim.

http://www.sc3videogames.com/

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I didn't know SC3 was a thing. I guess now I might have something to be excited about wrt moving to SoCal...

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

mikeycp posted:

I didn't know SC3 was a thing. I guess now I might have something to be excited about wrt moving to SoCal...

Don't get too excited, I might show up.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

8-bit Miniboss posted:

SoCal Retro Goons, SC3 just announced their next event for May 9th at Arcade 2084 in Anaheim.

http://www.sc3videogames.com/

Oh poo poo! Shame it's so far away from LA but I just might attend.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Squeegy posted:

Oh poo poo! Shame it's so far away from LA but I just might attend.

You should check in on the site every once in a while. They've done events in LA area. They do that along with San Diego and Inland Empire in the past.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Are there any events like that in the northeast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

There's TooManyGamesCon in Oaks, PA, which is usually in late spring/early summer.

• Locked thread