Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Well the story is definitely not on Radiant Historia's level. The EO games are traditionally story light and at least to some extent the one in Untold feels a bit tacked on.

I still liked it though and it works as a really good gateway into the series I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Just a warning, the story is very much not the main focus of EO games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

MarcusSA posted:

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is pretty drat awesome. I'm having a great time with it so far and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it.

I guess I could have waited 3 months and bought it for like 15 though.

If any of you liked Pokemon Mystery Dungeon's mechanics, but thought it was too easy or something, I recommend picking up Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, Untold's the exception, not the norm to that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 9, 2015

AbsolutZeroGI
Sep 14, 2013

Don't tease the octopus kids!

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah that's what I'm worried (storyline matters a lot to me lol) about but that's two people who have said Untold is an exception.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

EOU is the only game where story is given a focus (it has the option to play as predefined characters, not just blank states) but the story is not especially interesting

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I brought my 3ds to japan and keep filling up on street passes

Besides mii plaza they seem to be mostly for smash and various pokemon games. Occasional FF: Curtain Call ones too, only got 1 Zelda one which is a shame.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Need help on choosing my Elite Gift. I can't decide between:
Mario Golf
Mario Party
Mario Cart
Yoshi
Ultimate NES Remix
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Bros.3

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Mario Golf

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Mario Golf

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Monkey Fracas posted:

I wonder if they're ever going to release more than like 2-3 Nu3DS-Mandatory games.

What does the improved hardware even do, practically? Speed up loading/app switching of regular games? Not that it doesn't need that badly, especially if you've ever used a Vita (or a phone)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Milkman posted:

What does the improved hardware even do, practically? Speed up loading/app switching of regular games? Not that it doesn't need that badly, especially if you've ever used a Vita (or a phone)

It has a better CPU, so in theory newer games can use it for improved loading times (like Azure Striker Gunvolt) or just bigger better games altogether like Xenoblade. The simple fact is you're not going to see anything really making use of it until e3 because it's still in it's launch window - anything that makes use of the new tech either got slapped on after the fact, or had access to the dev kit before the launch. It's only by the time e3's rolling around that we'll see anything anywhere near a playable state.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

The Milkman posted:

Well it can play Binding of Isaac rebirth when the 3DS can't keep up at all.

Considering cross-platform capabilities of engines being used now (Unity, Unreal Engine, etc) it wouldn't be that far off for them to bake in support since Nintendo seems to have a huge indie boner for the Wii U shop. Click a check box, compile, verify it works and you have another platform. It likely won't happen but bridging the gap between processor speed seems to make it plausible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There are gonna be more "better on new 3ds" games like Monster Hunter and Gunvolt than straight up exclusives, but I'm totally okay with that.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Wait what's new or better in Gunvolt on a new 3DS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

Wait what's new or better in Gunvolt on a new 3DS

They patched it a while ago so it loads faster.

homeless snail posted:

There are gonna be more "better on new 3ds" games like Monster Hunter and Gunvolt than straight up exclusives, but I'm totally okay with that.

That'd be my guess too. It'll be interesting to see if Circle Pad Pro XL's start turning up on store shelves again to cover the extra controls for regular 3DS's.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also weapon switching on the Z buttons.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Need help on choosing my Elite Gift. I can't decide between:
Mario Golf
Mario Party
Mario Cart
Yoshi
Ultimate NES Remix
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Bros.3

Mario Golf is quite possibly the best 3ds game ever created :colbert:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Red Robin Hood posted:

I am gonna have to agree with this Red Robin Hood person.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
um what about cory in the house

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Red Robin Hood posted:

Sold. Is there a thread for Mario Golf ? I remember there was goon tournaments.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

homeless snail posted:

Honestly I think that's the best way to do it too. Don't make it a super mandatory upgrade, make it a thing where it's 'yea if you REALLY are into this game super hard you probably want it on the new 3ds'. Monster Hunter was part of the reason I got mine on launch and while Xeno looks fun and I'm looking forward to playing it, in no world at all is it a 'system mover'.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Sold. Is there a thread for Mario Golf ? I remember there was goon tournaments.

You're in luck! :eng101:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3711493

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Then they'd have less reasons to sell the new 3DS to people

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

All the old/new comparison screenshots of MH4U sure made a convincing argument.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

noirstronaut posted:

The literal entire ad campaign for the New 3DS launch was 'yea you can play Monster Hunter and Majora on your normal 3DS but look how much better this system is for it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The literal entire ad campaign for the New 3DS launch was 'yea you can play Monster Hunter and Majora on your normal 3DS but look how much better this system is for it.

No it wasn't

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

noirstronaut posted:

No it wasn't

All those commercials saying 'monster hunter and MM are way better on the new 3ds' sure fooled me.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They probably did since there's literally no difference with MM on a new 3DS aside from using the c-stick to control the camera.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tatum Girlparts posted:

All they really need for an n3DS ad is "look, no more finding the sweet spot" to watch the drat things fly out the door.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Neddy Seagoon posted:

All they really need for an n3DS ad is "look, no more finding the sweet spot" to watch the drat things fly out the door.

That's what they do in the commercial that fooled him

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE confirmed Fossil Fighters Frontier will be out on May 29. Does anyone care?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Nintendo really wants us to give a poo poo about this game and I can't for the life of me figure out why. Why they aren't out there promoting their great games that received lackluster praise, I will never know.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I'm almost done world 5 of Boxboy and the game is still really easy.

Does this ever get challenging or...?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mainland Europe, there's some good preorder prices going on in Amazon ES (shipping everywhere AFAIK).

Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons - Super Mario - 24€
Code Name STEAM - 32€
Splatoon - 31.50€
Rainbow Kirby - 31.50€

This also made me look for Mario&DK Tipping Star, which is 18€, except it's not really a retail release, just a system-specific box with the codes for both versions. That was weird.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

I'm almost done world 5 of Boxboy and the game is still really easy.

Does this ever get challenging or...?

It does get tricky but it's never going to turn into Super Meat Boy or anything.

There are 20+ worlds so you're not very far

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

It's pretty much a breeze through til about Chapters 15-16 where it gets more annoying than it does challenging. I haven't been able to get past the 17th world so far, because anytime it gets to the point I need to really think about a level, I decide that there's just so much left to do in Xenoblade that it would be a better waste of time instead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If you really get stuck a hint is just one play coin. I probably used around 7 or 8 in my play through.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That'd be my guess too. It'll be interesting to see if Circle Pad Pro XL's start turning up on store shelves again to cover the extra controls for regular 3DS's.

The CPP takes away from the available resources on the 3DS. Smash doesn't support it because they needed the 5% of processing power it used.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dehry posted:

The CPP takes away from the available resources on the 3DS. Smash doesn't support it because they needed the 5% of processing power it used.

Wasn't the CPP removed because it was that or the Amiibo pedestal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't the CPP removed because it was that or the Amiibo pedestal?

No, the comment he made was that they needed the extra performance. The amiibo read and write process only happens prior to battle so it wouldn't be needed in game.