Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

also all the pull quotes on the box are from 2 star reviews

holy poo poo lol i read that whole thing while thinking 'gently caress you i won't do you what you tell me' & other rage against the machine lyrics, its got 5/5 from me

i always love when the world is set up to be perfect and the hero is a guy like 'gently caress this its not perfect and i'm gonna break it'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all of the pleasure of fishing, with none of the pain

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

So... this is like Russian Matrix: Reloaded fanfiction?

Edit: Last line of Paradise Cracked's wikipedia entry: "The game never really gained much ground in terms of commercial success.[citation needed]"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

SelenicMartian posted:

What a coincidence, it had two spin offs/sequels.
Here's a set of wallpapers from one of them http://www.bestrpg.org.ru/index.php?id=144
The rat picture was used inside the box.

Later, the engine was also used for a "realistic" squad-based thing with missions lasting several hours, and no save function by design.

I actually have one of the sequels, COPS 2170 (it is actually a prequel, storywise, but it came out afterwards so whatever). Both it and the military sim are on gamersgate, it's just Paradise Cracked that's never gotten released anywhere besides its original retail run.

COPS is what this video is from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BuCK_POmyU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Baby Babbeh posted:

So... this is like Russian Matrix: Reloaded fanfiction?
It's permanently turn-based Russian cyberpunk fanfiction trying to be like a linear Jagged Alliance/X-Com.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

It's permanently turn-based Russian cyberpunk fanfiction trying to be like a linear Jagged Alliance/X-Com.

Cops, at least, lets you move instantly when there's no combat going on (which includes combat between groups that aren't involved with you, but is still more sensible than ALWAYS TURN-BASED ALL THE TIME.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

SelenicMartian posted:

Suiko III is scheduled to surface on the Japanese PSN as a PS2 classic next week. How many more years till it gets to Europe?

It'll get to Europe soon, but all 108 characters will be replaced by football players.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

also all the pull quotes on the box are from 2 star reviews

Why is the back of this box a bad Screen Shot LP???

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

OneDeadman posted:

Why is the back of this box a bad Screen Shot LP???

I don't know. Here is the german box:

much better

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b2XG0sn-b8

BIORHYTHM

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
Hey look another Square Enix teaser site.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/secret/

Star Ocean 5?!?!?! :cry:

I really should know better than to get hyped, based on the past... but I will anyway.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Why would you get hyped about Star Ocean 5.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i am excited to find out what the hero will be named

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

Nate RFB posted:

Why would you get hyped about Star Ocean 5.

Because I am a really big fan of the series, which seems to make me one of about 5 people here.

But yeah, it is probably going to be a teaser for some mobile game that has nothing to do with anything we care about, so I guess we'll see more on Monday.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

xov posted:

Because I am a really big fan of the series, which seems to make me one of about 5 people here.

But yeah, it is probably going to be a teaser for some mobile game that has nothing to do with anything we care about, so I guess we'll see more on Monday.

I dunno, it's Square Enix and they've got that shiny new over-priced game engine out of Final Fantasy XV they need to try and turn a profit with.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Is it even possible to top Edge Maverick? I mean, Fate Linegod was pretty good in its own right, but I think they might have peaked.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I don't think Edge Maverick can be exceeded, but what's the point of living if you don't try?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i'll buy a console star ocean if they deem it worth making and translating

i'm a sucker for disappointment

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dick Marcinko.

I've already played Suiko 5 for about as long as it took me to get to the endgame of S4 and I still don't even have a castle yet. :psyduck: Beating people to death with umbrellas and conducting batons is fun though. It's a shame no one gets to suplex grass.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Suikoden 5 is possibly the longest JRPG I've ever played. Which is cool because I loved it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Dick Marcinko.

I've already played Suiko 5 for about as long as it took me to get to the endgame of S4 and I still don't even have a castle yet. :psyduck: Beating people to death with umbrellas and conducting batons is fun though. It's a shame no one gets to suplex grass.

It is a pretty cool castle but you are right, the game takes a hell of a long time getting there.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
They were obviously just trying to make up for the fact that the original game was 10 hours long.

At any rate, it's still no DQ VII. God, the pacing in that game was so weird.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

xov posted:

I really should know better than to get hyped, based on the past... but I will anyway.
I thought Tri-Ace was bought by like a mobile company

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quest For Glory II posted:

Surprisingly they bought them to expand into "full" games as well as mobile titles, not to gut them like fish.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

They've said they still want to make console games, so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

believe it or not the mobile games industry does not exist to ruin video games

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

they were, but apparently it wasn't because the purchaser wanted tri-ace to make mobile games; instead, they bought them out so as to have a ready-made team for branching into console games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

believe it or not the mobile games industry does not exist to ruin video games
As a fan of Fantasy Life and Professor Layton I disagree

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Square-Enix will announce a new Smart Bomb for the Vita that now has a binary and space motif.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

As a fan of Fantasy Life and Professor Layton I disagree

You forgot Breath of Fire VI :v:.

:negative:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I liked Suiko 5's extended opening sequence the first time I played it, but it's also one of the reasons I haven't played it again. It takes that game 20 hours of throat clearing before it even starts.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Suikoden 5's biggest problem is that whoever made the town designs are assholes. You are doing mandatory 3-5 minute travels between a single town or giant staircase for no reason other than they're dicks and wanted long staircases. That you have to repeat over and over again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Tae posted:

Suikoden 5's biggest problem is that whoever made the town designs are assholes. You are doing mandatory 3-5 minute travels between a single town or giant staircase for no reason other than they're dicks and wanted long staircases. That you have to repeat over and over again.

they learned from s4's final dungeon, which was literally just a staircase for half an hour

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The best thing in S5 is that you can turn down the music volume. Ironically the gaudy art village is one of the very few places where the background 20 second loop doesn't become grating instantly. It's like the Daggerfall shop theme everywhere else.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

xov posted:

Star Ocean Online

e: Star Ocean Mobile

Shadic
Sep 26, 2013

Man, I've finally started playing Breath of Death VII, and that game is surprisingly a pain in the rear end. Getting all of your HP back at the end of every random encounter (only leaving MP consumption and potions for resource management) is genius, but they really take that opportunity to make random encounters a pain in the rear end.

Couple that with the "monsters hit harder every round," and goddamn.

Entertaining enough for now, though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Plek posted:

Star Ocean Online

Well, I guess they already have a built-in story justification for doing this. :v:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

they learned from s4's final dungeon, which was literally just a staircase for half an hour

And what, did the S4 final dungeon learn from the sneaky path into the Shinra building?

(Yes, I'm one of the suckers who thought sneaking in quietly was good idea :downs:)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plek posted:

Star Ocean Online

e: Star Ocean Mobile

That sounds about right. I really doubt it'd be another MMO, because they'd only be eating into their own FFXIV income along with whatever it cost to actually build the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dot hack ocean