Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

ReidRansom posted:

I had a criminal justice class in high school where i figured out how to beat a smoking in school ticket. They had to write a whole new law because of me lol. That's my high school story thanks for listening.

:smugdroid: cool goon flicks cigarette into puddle of gasoline leading to a car causing an exploision: youll have to make a new law saying fail aids is illegal to get rid of me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

My 12th grade English teacher was big on poetry. He said if any of us during the year had a poem published in any print magazine he'd give us an A automatically. I don't think anyone took him up on that.

Even Hustler? Missed opportunity.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm still pretty proud of it, honestly. See, the way it worked was they used to write tickets for smoking at school under the penal code here in Texas using a section that prohibited smoking in public buildings and hospitals and the like, but after they wrote me a ticket one day and I got all pissed off abotu that I started looking into it and there was a subsection that stated that any building which didn't permit smoking was required to place ashtrays and signs outside every entrance, which obviously a school wasn't going to do (the ashtrays anyway) as that would give the appearance of permitting smoking at all on campus. So I pled no contest and put forth my case, and the judge told me he had no choice but to let me off even though he knew I knew I was in the wrong. And then I hear from a friend a couple months later who got sent to court for the same that the judge was letting everyone go because of "some punk kid named [my name]", which was awesome. And then further, the next legislative session they passed a law under the education code specifically banning tobacco use in public schools. It was all prety great

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Accretionist posted:

I've read that low educational attainment is largely a function of poverty, specifically, that when you control for childhood poverty in cross-country comparisons, we actually get up near the top of the pack. From this, I infer that the system would work mostly fine if not for poverty.

So, a question for any education buffs: Could extended hours be used to insulate kids from poverty? I'm imagining a trial program where a high school runs 8 to 4 with extra-curriculars as two hour modules replete with dinner service.

You need to keep in mind that a lot of kids from broke families also already have quite long trips to and from school. For a 6 hour school day a kid could easily spend 9 hours a day in school + in transit to and from, or even more. This is often a result of things like school bus routes having to take winding courses in rural areas or particularly shittily planned suburban areas (especially for, say, situations where elementary/middle schools are local, but the high school serves a wide area), or even busing not being available for whatever reason and the parents don't have the time to drive the people to school, nor can they afford or are old enough to drive themselves.

Some of the worst off kids have over 2 hours each way transport.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Nintendo Kid posted:

You need to keep in mind that a lot of kids from broke families also already have quite long trips to and from school. For a 6 hour school day a kid could easily spend 9 hours a day in school + in transit to and from, or even more. This is often a result of things like school bus routes having to take winding courses in rural areas or particularly shittily planned suburban areas (especially for, say, situations where elementary/middle schools are local, but the high school serves a wide area), or even busing not being available for whatever reason and the parents don't have the time to drive the people to school, nor can they afford or are old enough to drive themselves.

Some of the worst off kids have over 2 hours each way transport.

Here they bus in kids from like 20 miles away who just happen to be predominately people of color and also not very wealthy. It creates some small... tensions.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Sooooo.... today, I ran across this Executive Order. Seems it went into effect April 1st, around the hurrah over the Iran deal. It doesn't appear to be a joke, either:

quote:

BLOCKING THE PROPERTY OF CERTAIN PERSONS ENGAGING IN

SIGNIFICANT MALICIOUS CYBER-ENABLED ACTIVITIES
Well, that sounds like it might be a good...

quote:

I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, find that the increasing prevalence and severity of malicious cyber-enabled activities originating from, or directed by persons located, in whole or in substantial part, outside the United States constitute an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States. I hereby declare a national emergency to deal with this threat.
...errr... national emergency? What?

quote:

Section 1. (a) All property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of any United States person of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:

(i) any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of State, to be responsible for or complicit in, or to have engaged in, directly or indirectly, cyber-enabled activities originating from, or directed by persons located, in whole or in substantial part, outside the United States that are reasonably likely to result in, or have materially contributed to, a significant threat to the national security, foreign policy, or economic health or financial stability of the United States and that have the purpose or effect of:

(A) harming, or otherwise significantly compromising the provision of services by, a computer or network of computers that support one or more entities in a critical infrastructure sector;

(B) significantly compromising the provision of services by one or more entities in a critical infrastructure sector;

(C) causing a significant disruption to the availability of a computer or network of computers; or

(D) causing a significant misappropriation of funds or economic resources, trade secrets, personal identifiers, or financial information for commercial or competitive advantage or private financial gain;
Seems kind of broad.

quote:

or

(ii) any person determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Attorney General and the Secretary of State:

(A) to be responsible for or complicit in, or to have engaged in, the receipt or use for commercial or competitive advantage or private financial gain, or by a commercial entity, outside the United States of trade secrets misappropriated through cyber-enabled means, knowing they have been misappropriated, where the misappropriation of such trade secrets is reasonably likely to result in, or has materially contributed to, a significant threat to the national security, foreign policy, or economic health or financial stability of the United States;

(B) to have materially assisted, sponsored, or provided financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services in support of, any activity described in subsections (a)(i) or (a)(ii)(A) of this section or any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order;

(C) to be owned or controlled by, or to have acted or purported to act for or on behalf of, directly or indirectly, any person whose property and interests in property are blocked pursuant to this order; or

(D) to have attempted to engage in any of the activities described in subsections (a)(i) and (a)(ii)(A)-(C) of this section.
Seems really broad.

Anyhow, one of the (few) discussions of this suggests that donating to Snowden's defense would fall under this order. I'm not a lawyer, but in my reading of it, that seems possible.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Evil_Greven posted:

Anyhow, one of the (few) discussions of this suggests that donating to Snowden's defense would fall under this order. I'm not a lawyer, but in my reading of it, that seems possible.

That's definitely my reading of it as well, as a layperson. I wonder if they'll push to enforce it.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Your reading is incorrect, hope this helps.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This just keep getting better.

Good news everyone, you can watch your stupid war movie about a crazy dude anyway. This should go over well.

I hope some students disrupt the screening by surreptitiously replacing the sheep/wolves/sheepdogs scene with the dicks/pussies/assholes speech from Team America, or editing "Who wants to send a message to Germany!?" into the film, somewhere.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah my school was hit particularly bad, like for four years other than Latin & humanities/psychology (you can't be an rear end in a top hat when your teacher's name is Mr. Justice) classes most of my peers were complete jagoffs who gave no shits about learning and instead decide to be complete pricks to the hardworking teachers who I could actually relate to and find more meaningful conversations with about life and also shoot the poo poo about stuff.

Also my school kind of has a reputation for being a "thug" school (any Western PA goons would know since I'm talking about Gateway High School) and yeah I saw a couple of fights, including freshmen year when I saw a hulk cave a small guys face in for dating his ex. Hell I got in a fight... though that was more of a kidney punch the guy then lightly sock him in the face and then run to the hills, but still everyone liked me for it since the guy I fought was a douchebag.

What I'm try to say is, basically everything is hosed; my take, history books must be made as objective as possible with all the sugar coating wiped off, the Scarlet Letter should be banned from being taught because holy gently caress that book is awful and boring, and anyone who tries bringing up creationism/climate change denialism will be forced to read stacks of studies proving otherwise until they realize what a moron they are.

Gateway is a thug school? I've always seen it as a 'typical' suburban school district that's mostly middle class-ish with kids from pitcarin that are looked down on and stuff. I went to Penn Hills and our new high school has literal metal detectors built into the door frames because people kept trying to sneak guns into the old one (actually a loaded gun fell out of a kid's waistband during a fight or whatever in front of the guidance counselors office and everyone ran and it caused a lockdown). I've been in fights there and if you were ever late to class, you could just say that you got held up because there was a fight (since they blocked the hallways because they were narrow as gently caress in the old school).

When I went there, I was in the gifted program and most of my classes were gifted/accelerated/AP classes, I took the programming course we had, and I was in the JROTC program. The classes I had were actually pretty decent all things considered; they weren't really difficult difficult (but i'm probably a bad judge of that since finished AP German and AP Calc 2 in my junior year and started at Pitt instead of taking my senior year), but they seemed fairly well taught. Looking back on it, I don't think I have any complaints about my education.

The thing is though, Penn Hills seems to be ~60/40 or 65/35 black/white, but the composition of my (non jrotc) classes was probably 95/5 white/black. I think throughout my whole time in PH -- a school district of ~4750 with a class size of around 400, there were probably 4 or 5 black kids total in my year and the ones above and below me that I can remember being in gifted/accelerated/AP courses with. I remember sitting in on the normal (non-accelerated) classes a few times when I'd have to make up a test or whatever and holy hell were they awful. There was almost no rigor, the material was presented horribly and there were no real expectations of classroom engagement beyond whatever homework was assigned (the latter parts I found out from my friend who wasn't in the ~gifted program~). There's absolutely no way that in a class of 400 which is mostly black that only 1 or 2 black students are capable (in a vacuum) of taking those courses.

The problem then, is that there is a huge amount racial bias in admitting black students into the advanced programs/courses, which gets compounded by cultural expectations of them. The general culture of not caring about education is actually A Thing in the black community, but it doesn't really spring from an expressed willingness to be ignorant or uneducated, nor does it come from a marked deficiency of mental capacity. Rather, it tends to come from not wanting to stand out or seem too good for their family/peers -- being afraid that they won't fit in or be accepted if they do attempt to do well in school. The resentment for "acting white" ties into this as well; it's actually A Thing that happens, and it's typically rooted in fear of being seen as totally rejecting their familiy, friends, and (especially) culture all for the sake of personal gain/attempted assimilation. There's also the knowledge that, even with a college degree, they're still much less likely to get a job compared to white applicants with similar credentials. When you combine the racial bias in selection for advanced programs with the cultural forces against it, the general rigors of poverty, (in many cases) a lack of familial support, possibly a lack of a stable home situation, and the greater forces of institutional racism outside of the school system, you end up with a large amount of the population getting almost nothing from their education.

There's a lot of things that need to be fixed with our education system (and general social structure) to account for these issues, but to tie it back in with our discussion of actually improving the education situation in the US, I would say that in general trying to at least even out the effort given to minority students/the general student body in relation to the 'advanced' students would go a long way, and that there's ways we can do that by modifying how current courses are taught (rather than just throwing out all kinds of curriculum as suggested above). We could stand to focus a lot more on the critical reading and interpretive aspects in the liberal arts/social sciences that we teach. History, in particular, should strongly emphasize the "why" and (to a lesser extent) "how" aspects of historical events over the simple "what" aspect -- why did the colonists react the way they did to the Tea Act in 1773? Why would an act that actually reduced the price of tea cause the people to throw tea into the water? What role did shifting the financing of colonial judges and governors from colonial assemblies to the British Parliament (via the Townshend act) have on provoking an anti-parliamentary sentiment? -- this kind of thing is almost never covered. Usually you're taught "a bunch of PATRIOTS dressed up like indians and threw evil monarchy tea into the water off of boats for ARE FREEDOM FROM TAXATION" and that's it. Nothing at all to foster a critical view of history (this is also why teaching history objectively is both bad and impossible; history is pretty much always tilted towards a particular viewpoint due to biases in primary and secondary sources, the real skill you need to learn is how to interpret it). English/lit should be taught in the same way IMO. Less book reports, more actual analysis. Math should probably focus more on exploration and proof based learning rather than simple rote memorization. Science seems to be alright though. Phys-ed can stand to focus more on actual health than on walking, and they probably shoudl introduce a small personal finances/home-ec kind of thing.

Also it was cool meeting you the other day and you are a lot less goony than you made yourself out to be.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Goddamn I have great memories from Gateway in da Ville. I used to run the fire alarm calls that the kids pulled there from Monroeville Station 4, from Northern Pike. drat kids.

:3:

Ah memory lane. Now I'm old and married.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "I still have all the albums." ~ Choom Gangster in Chief Barack Obama at the Bob Marley Museum in Jamaica. :2bong:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Look Around You posted:

The thing is though, Penn Hills seems to be ~60/40 or 65/35 black/white, but the composition of my (non jrotc) classes was probably 95/5 white/black. I think throughout my whole time in PH -- a school district of ~4750 with a class size of around 400, there were probably 4 or 5 black kids total in my year and the ones above and below me that I can remember being in gifted/accelerated/AP courses with. I remember sitting in on the normal (non-accelerated) classes a few times when I'd have to make up a test or whatever and holy hell were they awful. There was almost no rigor, the material was presented horribly and there were no real expectations of classroom engagement beyond whatever homework was assigned (the latter parts I found out from my friend who wasn't in the ~gifted program~). There's absolutely no way that in a class of 400 which is mostly black that only 1 or 2 black students are capable (in a vacuum) of taking those courses.

This was my experience in my high school as well. We had a class of ~700, but I can safely say that no more than 150-200 were in any sort of advanced class (and very very few of them were black, slightly more were hispanic).

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "I still have all the albums." ~ Choom Gangster in Chief Barack Obama at the Bob Marley Museum in Jamaica. :2bong:

Last two years Obama best obama. If the trend continues he is going to be the best ex-president ever.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
My school district was under an hour from Gateway but we didn't have to worry about black kids being shut out of advanced classes; our district was about 98% white and we only had one AP class.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

I bet he only has Legend.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Joementum posted:

Claims that the back of the president's limo was littered with empty bags of Doritos have not yet been confirmed.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

1stGear posted:

Claims that the back of the president's limo was littered with empty bags of Doritos have not yet been confirmed.

Our first goon president?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Accretionist posted:

I've read that low educational attainment is largely a function of poverty, specifically, that when you control for childhood poverty in cross-country comparisons, we actually get up near the top of the pack. From this, I infer that the system would work mostly fine if not for poverty.

So, a question for any education buffs: Could extended hours be used to insulate kids from poverty? I'm imagining a trial program where a high school runs 8 to 4 with extra-curriculars as two hour modules replete with dinner service.

Read up on ACES - Adverse Childhood Experiences. Part of the negative effect poverty has on kids is that it causes stress - like getting school-provided dinner helps, but if your dad's beating your mom, or in jail, or your mom's working two jobs and never has time for you, or if you can't sleep because the crack dealers outside on the street are shouting until 1am, then the stress from that is still going to hurt your development.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

:smugdroid: cool goon flicks cigarette into puddle of gasoline leading to a car causing an exploision: youll have to make a new law saying fail aids is illegal to get rid of me

Lol

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

computer parts posted:

There's already an exception for medical reasons in most abortion laws.

Which makes them pointless toothless laws because no woman gets out of bed at 11 months and says "hmm, I don't want a baby after all, let's go partial birth abort this sucker".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

greatn posted:

Which makes them pointless toothless laws because no woman gets out of bed at 11 months and says "hmm, I don't want a baby after all, let's go partial birth abort this sucker".

11 months...?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If I were pregnant at 11 months I WOULD be like OMG kill it kill it now.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Xibanya posted:

If I were pregnant at 11 months I WOULD be like OMG kill it kill it now.

No, doctors would have convinced you to get a c-section a month ago jesus christ.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

greatn posted:

I sure loving hope not because by that point the baby is practically going to burst out of her stomach alien style

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
As long as we're doing school chat:

It's important to remember that we're 2 to 3 generations into the "American Schools are Failing!" panic that Reagan started with "A Nation at Risk" during his first term. Before the World Wars, education was a topic of interest, but not of national security; our whole jobs apparatus, slavery included, allowed for people to go to their public schools, whatever their quality, and emerge into an environment where some work or livelihood can be found. No, of course standards of living weren't up to what we have now, but people weren't demonizing primary and secondary education for it. I had the great good fortune to teach in a really OLD American town in Pennsylvania where they pick all the grapes for Smuckers, and there, as a student teacher, got to experience an older form of public education.

Sure, some students rode to school on tractors or snowmobiles. But you had a very stable, long-standing community, and I would have thought the level of respect and dedication there was some weird show put on for me. However, I had one girl who got pissed off at me while my mentor teacher was in the class, and he called her back and said he was calling home.

I heard the next day that by the time the girl had gotten home, all the neighbors were out, telling her they heard she got in trouble in school. I heard this from other kids, and she came back and made an apology the next day. Trust me, I know this sounds like STDH, but it did happen that once, and never again in my teaching career.

We all know that there was a huge push for STEM after Sputnik. Even then, when America was an industrialized nation, there was generally a sense that the high school education you got was sufficient to get you a job that would feed your family. The pain of the Great Depression was still fresh in the minds of multiple generations, and there was a sense of shared suffering and welfare. So, I come full-circle to the late 70s. With Civil Rights, Vietnam and the beginnings of globalization, you began to have a country where there wasn't even the sense anymore of a nation working together to achieve goals. It was hippies vs. conservatives, race vs. race, and meanwhile, all the jobs were fleeing.

Of course, we know that this was a factor mostly of outsourcing American manufacturing to the 3rd world, a choice made by capital owners. But it provided the perfect cover for someone to start attacking public education, and Reagan was exactly the wrong man at the wrong time. What people DID know was that whole towns were falling off the map, into crime and poverty and dissolution, and there had to be someone to blame. Why weren't people getting jobs? Well, our terrible schools, of course.

The thing nobody seems to want to focus on is the idea that public education and jobs were born together, as the previous system of craftsmanship fell to the industrial revolution. The people needed to be molded into good workers and productive citizens, so they'd accept the indignity of being forced to go to school as a kind of informal contract, based on the expectation that their work in school would pay off with steady employment. Reagan and his conservative cronies, all those Mitt Romney types, knew they were decoupling school from labor, that they were killing all the geese that kept laying golden eggs, and putting the profits into private equity funds and private hands. They knew it would piss people off that there were no jobs any more, but they could distract people by demonizing schools. "All those other countries have better test scores and better employment numbers! (No mention of the fact that many of the European countries being compared to had socialistic industry and worker protections against destroying national industries!) We MUST be getting dumber as a nation, because only a failure to work hard keeps you from achieving the American Dream." And this is the same line of bullshit that's been sold for 35 years.

What effect does this kind of policy thinking have on schools and education and the labor market and wages? I think all the standard data rolled out in this kind of discussion explains it well. This idea has allowed 35 years of wage stagnation. It has covered up the brutal and rapacious destruction of unions and workers' rights, from air traffic controllers to Wal-Mart. It has covered for the breaking of the informal education/jobs contract that's at the basis of industrialized society by punching down, by telling kids whose parents are poor that it's their fault no jobs are available for them, and this country owes them nothing. It has made public education itself a gigantic piggy bank to smash, a huge long-term store of value that the past 35 years have seen smashed over and over so that private enterprise can dig its way in and suck out the money.

You'll notice that this upcoming renewal of NCLB/ESEA is pretty weak and flabby. By this point, the fervor of the old NCLB reformist movement has gotten flaccid, because private industry is already operating at maximum suction; they sell all the textbooks, write and administer the tests, hell, they even get the contracts to make the food that the kids are fed, and increasingly own all the busing as well. There's so little blood left to suck, it's hard to get excited about it, except to use it as a dogwhistle for resegregation via vouchers.
2 to 3 generations into this bullshit, I can tell you from the inside of schools that any sort of battle for the heart and soul of American education has already been lost. poo poo, education was just a scapegoat to distract people from the fact that American corporate management over the past 35 years has so successfully outsourced, cut staff to the bone, and automated that the average American worker has absolutely no value whatsoever as labor, so the entire country has been turned into a giant swap-meet, where we sell each other product we can't afford at retail and service jobs where we make nothing of value. But most of all, teachers and students tacitly understand this. A teacher WANTS their students to do well, to feel like their work and study will contribute to that student's life. Students would like to go to school and be addressed for who they are and feel like what they are doing has some purpose, and is of some interest to them.

We're way past Stockholm Syndrome by now. The first students to get hit by the ugly testing and standards reforms of the early 2000s are teaching in classrooms right now. They only know a world where school is basically a pointless exercise, and so they propagate that model to their students.

You can go on and on about standards, and classes, and what kids should or should not be taught in school, but not a single thing you say matters even the tiniest bit, because we have all become inured to creeping poverty. At first, the blue collar segment of America workers were driven into poverty as the plants closed in places like Flint, MI. So now that the plant's closed, and dad's been out of work for 10 years, what do you tell his kid who's about to graduate high school? But now, as private capital has realized the immense motherlode of cash to be extracted from college students, that poverty keeps creeping higher and higher. Now you're paying hundreds of thousands of dollars in non-dischargeable loans to get a job making the same amount your dad did 30 years ago without the debt. Meanwhile, you'll never make enough to pay off those loans because wages have stagnated for 35 years, and when it comes right down to it, this nation has broken its tacit contract with you, the citizen.

You tell me a thing you think kids should learn in school, and I ask you how in the hell that thing is going to earn them anything like a respectable wage or salary, and most importantly, is automation-proofed for the next 20 years. Here we are, all talking about whether kids can write long-form essays, as if any form of writing will make a career. How many temporarily embarrassed professors and PhDs do you know? How many people with college degrees that have spent years unemployed or underemployed? We don't have an education problem, we have a technology-enabled kleptocracy problem. Right now, they don't even care if you're barely able to even be a consumer. You're losing even your value to a society based entirely on consumption, and you want to talk about what kids should learn in school?

There's two ways for this to go: either we STOP technological processes which keep devaluing labor, capture and kill the rich, refocus all of our national spending on making sure there are good paying jobs for every person who wants to work, and basically institute Full Communism, thereby restoring a national contract between a nation and its citizens, or just straight up tell everyone their services are no longer needed, and either let them die of starvation in the streets, or if you're really forward-thinking, offer a universal basic income. Both of them are poo poo options, but that's what you get when you fall asleep in front of the TV with a bucket of frosting for 35 years, and let yourself be robbed of everything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
poo poo now you know I'm an elephant.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

silvergoose posted:

11 months...?
Jeez, does every post have to be prefaced with a disclaimer saying that it is assuming we're talking about an alternate reality where everyone is an elephant?

EDIT: drat you, greatn! :argh:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Happy Surrender Day goons!

150 years ago today the Slaveholder's Rebellion was put down, and a belligerent, expansionist, violent, and racist regime was rightly destroyed. The Slaveholder's Confederacy was the first proto-fascist state, with the military absorbing and commanding private industry, its doctrine of explicit racial superiority, and it's mass exploitation and murder of those it deemed sub-human. It's destruction was an unarguable good, and brought freedom to millions.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9nEf2nuH_Xc

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

How about a bi-partisan compromise for y'all: Teach shooting in gym class.

Mandatory Biathlons in schools.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

150 years ago today the Slaveholder's Rebellion was put down, and a belligerent, expansionist, violent, and racist regime was rightly destroyed. The Slaveholder's Confederacy was the first proto-fascist state, with the military absorbing and commanding private industry, its doctrine of explicit racial superiority, and it's mass exploitation and murder of those it deemed sub-human. It's destruction was an unarguable good, and brought freedom to millions.

Stealing dis.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fried Chicken posted:

I would've gone with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZ3jPMM5Ac

But nonetheless....

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 9, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
North Carolina contemplates one weird trick to restrict abortion. OB/GYNs hate it!

quote:

On top of extending the waiting period for an abortion to 72 hours and banning anyone but OB-GYNs from performing abortions, the bill also bans the University of North Carolina and East Carolina University from providing abortion training to medical students.

When WNCN asked McElraft about this provision, all of her previous concern for competent medical care for abortion patients dried right up. “There are opportunities for doctors to learn,” she said. “Abortion doctors learn from all kinds of training—in spontaneous abortions and sometimes miscarriages.” So which is it, McElraft? Is abortion such a delicate procedure that only one kind of doctor can even begin to understand it? Or is it such a no-brainer that you don't even need training?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

silvergoose posted:

Stealing dis.

Same

:911::911:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ra9cXx1-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSn3NddwFQ

Though the last Confederate holdouts didn't surrender until May.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Edmund Lava posted:

Our first goon president?

What about President Taft?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rincewinds posted:

What about President Taft?

woodrow Wilson

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Regarding how schools have changed, you'll notice looking back that people started demonizing public education once we started desegregating the schools, and especially once busing started. At around the same time a lot of groups that were right-wing in nature went after textbooks that weren't 'appropriate' (ie. A lot of the textbooks that appeared in the 1970s that explained how no, the U.S. isn't perfect, or the sex ed stuff that was being taught).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Guys I'm super far behind in the thread but can someone who's more knowledgeable of the circumstances help me figure out something that's baffling me about the latest murder-by-cop? In the video how the hell do the cops not see the guy that's filming them? It looks like he's just across the street and he moves all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

I would've gone with this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpZ3jPMM5Ac

But nonetheless....

Here's my favorite version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ccQ6cT-9kk

• Locked thread