Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Gloom falls into the same category as Tales of the Arabian Nights and Fiasco, if you aren't ready to play amateur drama club/story generator you will probably hate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sloober posted:

You know it's bad if you want to play citadels over it. I loving hate citadels though.
Oddly, playing citadels 3 player with said niece who very quickly learned to take assassin first otherwise I was going to (to the chagrin of my wife, who apparently thought it's kind of a meh card rather than the thing you have to play around all the time???) with 2 roles per turn wasn't awful. Not great, but way better than gloom.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Gloom falls into the same category as Tales of the Arabian Nights and Fiasco, if you aren't ready to play amateur drama club/story generator you will probably hate them.

No it really does not. Tales is a fine experience generator with no game at all associated with it. Fiasco is an honest to god small RPG system. Gloom is a bad game with no storytelling other than "bad thing happened".

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

silvergoose posted:

Oddly, playing citadels 3 player with said niece who very quickly learned to take assassin first otherwise I was going to (to the chagrin of my wife, who apparently thought it's kind of a meh card rather than the thing you have to play around all the time???) with 2 roles per turn wasn't awful. Not great, but way better than gloom.

No it really does not. Tales is a fine experience generator with no game at all associated with it. Fiasco is an honest to god small RPG system. Gloom is a bad game with no storytelling other than "bad thing happened".

I see things differently.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Indolent Bastard posted:

I'd be more okay with it if the stories weren't all just 'miserable stuff happens to people and they eventually die.' Fiasco at least gives you the chance to be properly creative and have an interesting story at the end of it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sloober posted:

All told I would rather gloom than munchkin and flux, it ends about twice as fast. However I would probably find an excuse to not play or try to suggest something else instead.

I used to play Fluxx every day at lunch. The person who I played with eventually wanted her own game and went out to get Gloom and Girl Genius. We played Gloom once and she insisted we never play it again it was so terrible. We continued to play Fluxx. I don't know why she never brought Girl Genius again, it was awesome and better than Fluxx :shrug:

Indolent Bastard posted:

Don't compare Gloom to Tales please, Tales is good. Tales has a story of its own, Gloom expects you to come up with all of it on your own

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

Gloom isn't really a story generator, it's more of a one note joke. The one time we played it, we found that peoples' scores were fiddly to keep track of and it went on forever because you can only kill a person as your first action. So on your turn, other players had got rid of any happy cards you'd given them and played one or two on you, so it was never really a good decision to kill anyone.

It also seems a bit ungracious not to mention Edward Gorey in the credits.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
I've played Gloom a few times and find it easily forgettable. I don't really mind having to describe what happens but because it's always just "a bad thing" it can get a tedious. As far as single-deck games go there are so many better ones out there, I'd much rather play Jaipur, Port Royal or even Sushi Go.

Do agree with Rubitex though, comparing Tales of the Arabian Nights to Gloom is a bit of a stretch. When one player gets turned into a donkey in Tales, everyone finds that funny. When someone kills a character in Gloom, it's just dull.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's no way that it costs 15 bucks to manufacture a deck of cards at a one million unit run, even if your box is super nice. Based on when I got quotes (and this was some years ago) I would say it's 7 dollars or so, absolute tops. If they are paying 15 per unit then they are getting fleeced.

Also LMAO at the idea that something that doesn't make you independently wealthy for the rest of your life means that you're not "rich".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no way that it costs 15 bucks to manufacture a deck of cards at a one million unit run, even if your box is super nice. Based on when I got quotes (and this was some years ago) I would say it's 7 dollars or so, absolute tops. If they are paying 15 per unit then they are getting fleeced.

Also LMAO at the idea that something that doesn't make you independently wealthy for the rest of your life means that you're not "rich".

Yeah even at $15 it seems like a massive rip off. Like, I could "manufacture" a set of cards myself on good card stock and everything at the local Kinkos for less. A deck of cards costs $1 retail at the dollar store, and you know it cost much less to actually make. The print run is obviously different, but this is a massive kick-starter you would think they could get some kind of volume discount.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Fiasco isn't really a roleplaying game, it's way more similar to longform improv.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

burger time posted:

Fiasco isn't really a roleplaying game, it's way more similar to longform improv.

Doesn't that mostly describe small indie RPGs though?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The $15 isn't just the cards, it's also the fancy box and the "surprise" which is $3 or $4 by itself.

I still refuse to believe they didn't realize this would blow up the way it has.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

15 to create and ship the entire reward, which is more than just printing the cards.

It's amazing how much of the back and forth in this conversation has just been people unwilling to read.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rutibex posted:

Yeah even at $15 it seems like a massive rip off. Like, I could "manufacture" a set of cards myself on good card stock and everything at the local Kinkos for less. A deck of cards costs $1 retail at the dollar store, and you know it cost much less to actually make. The print run is obviously different, but this is a massive kick-starter you would think they could get some kind of volume discount.

http://www.makeplayingcards.com/promotional/blank-playing-cards.html

Once you are over 1000 copies, the price drops below $3/deck. I have a hard time believing that someone like The Oatmeal couldn't get a decent printer at ~$1-$1.50/deck when they were getting 100,000 copies. Toss in a box & surprise & shipping and you are up to maybe $5/deck. $15 means they are either complete idiots or bullshitting.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Doesn't that mostly describe small indie RPGs though?

I'd disagree. I think the fact that Fiasco has no stats, skill checks, mechanics, etc. pushes it further towards improv than most indie RPGs. The only things it does is give you character suggestions (common in improv) and basic structures (common in longform improv). I mean, you can still argue it's a "role-playing game" cause you're playing a role, but it's lacking almost anything I'd consider RPG-y.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Exploding Kittens is not even a board game in my mind

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

burger time posted:

I'd disagree. I think the fact that Fiasco has no stats, skill checks, mechanics, etc. pushes it further towards improv than most indie RPGs. The only things it does is give you character suggestions (common in improv) and basic structures (common in longform improv). I mean, you can still argue it's a "role-playing game" cause you're playing a role, but it's lacking almost anything I'd consider RPG-y.

That's fair. I would say I haven't done enough improv to argue one way or another, then, other than saying that you're saying jRPGs that give you almost no meaningful roleplaying choices are more RPG-y than much more freeform (or closer to improv as you say) RPGs.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
That doesn't change the fact that it was designed is marketed and generally considered an RPG

And AH Tales BatHoth etc. have Stats and Skill checks and they are most definitely not RPGs.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

admanb posted:

15 to create and ship the entire reward, which is more than just printing the cards.

It's amazing how much of the back and forth in this conversation has just been people unwilling to read.

Yeah that was in my quote - shipping out from China to SoCal. I should have mentioned that. Admittedly you still have to drop ship them to individuals at that point (packing and payroll) and there's fulfillment center fees but I'm just not seeing it. I still think you could get this out at around 10 dollars or so, based on weight.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 9, 2015

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Has anyone here played Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space?

A very enthusiastic store co-owner talked to me yesterday about a bunch of his favorite games. Escape was the only one that really intrigued me from its description. Human players have to escape from a self-destructing ship before the alien players find them, the lights are out, you only navigate by sound, and you don't know who's who.

Despite the campy name, the box art was very nicely minimalistic.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hannibal Rex posted:

Has anyone here played Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space

I got a pnp copy, send me a pm with your email and you can try it out.

https://iu.box.com/s/9kra5amcb6mlxxorfcf5df09yhy0yqdu

djfooboo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 9, 2015

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Toshimo posted:

http://www.makeplayingcards.com/promotional/blank-playing-cards.html

Once you are over 1000 copies, the price drops below $3/deck. I have a hard time believing that someone like The Oatmeal couldn't get a decent printer at ~$1-$1.50/deck when they were getting 100,000 copies. Toss in a box & surprise & shipping and you are up to maybe $5/deck. $15 means they are either complete idiots or bullshitting.

They're blatantly lying to downplay the amount of money they're going to be stashing away after all this is said and done so they don't look like scum to their fanbase.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yes that's far more likely than random boardgame thread posters knowing less about production and distribution costs than the company that's been selling CAH for four years.

admanb fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 9, 2015

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

admanb posted:

Yes that's far more likely than random boardgame thread posters knowing less about production and distribution costs than the company that's been selling CAH for four years.

Eh, if we vilify them we can feel better about making GBS threads on their kickstarter.

I probably would not enjoy the game, but I don't particularly care about their business practices. I'm merely happy that this wasn't a political campaign.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Exploding Kittens: At least it's not a pizzeria for bigots.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

admanb posted:

Last time I checked, Cartamundi would do a run of 5000 custom decks in point of purchase displays for around $30,000. So if we assume the worst possible case - that there is no greater economy of scale and that POPDs are used for everything including KS rewards - Exploiting Cretins would cost $6 per unit to make. The more realistic scenario is that it costs $6 per unit including shipping.

But as Gimnbo says, it's not a pizzeria that won't let you mix salamis.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

burger time posted:

I'd argue that fiasco has exactly the amount of mechanics it needs. For a system that allows you to play superheroes, invalids, kobolds, and fake Russian accountants, an arbitration system other than "everyone ends the scrap worse off" would be needlessly restrictive.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

Exploiting Cretins

:golfclap:

This is pretty good, I have to admit. Give this guy 3 vp tokens

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jedit posted:

Exploiting Cretins

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Anyone listen to CARDBOARD! yet? I just love the sound of Rich Sommer's voice, but I don't know if I want to put another hour into podcasts in my week.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Deathlove posted:

Anyone listen to CARDBOARD! yet? I just love the sound of Rich Sommer's voice, but I don't know if I want to put another hour into podcasts in my week.

Nope. I don't know if I can handle another exclamation point in my life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Just started a bit ago, for a first episode he's keeping it going at a nice clip. I think he'll have an uphill battle ahead of him trying to make it work both for people who are interested in getting into games and people who are already in the mire.

Also, anyone have any suggestions for low attention span/low maintenance games once everyone is drunk at game night? Coup, Guillotine, and Werewolves are three that seem to work well enough from what we have, but I'm looking for something that's maybe a little more talk-based.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Does anybody recommend the XCOM boardgame? I got a gift card and was thinking of picking it up.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Played a few rounds of Honey Nut Cheerios: The Power of Oats this morning and had a blast! The game is seriously FUN. You play as yourself - I wish more board games let me immerse myself so much in their world! - and the goal is to collect delicious oats and gain their power. At the end of the game you compare your Oats Total to the Oat Power Meter to see how much power you got from oats, so the theme of "Power of Oats" is really tightly integrated in the system. The art is also great, with pictures of horseshoes on the tile that says "extra horsepower" and even a little dance step chart on the tile that says "dance ahead three!" Ha ha! This cereal game is no VP salad!

It's easy to learn. The rules are very simple: every turn each player flips a coin and moves 1 space along the track if it comes up heads, 2 if it comes up tails. This made it accessible to the whole family and a great "intro" game. But it's hard to master. There are really important 10- or 15-Oat squares smart players will aim for over the 1-to-3-Oat squares, and you have to play wisely around the squares that make you lose a turn or stop to eat tasty cereal. I'm still "chewing on" the ramifications of the one that says whole grain oats are part of a heart-healthy diet.

The greatest thing is that it supports any number of players! The trash-talking at the table was intense when I was behind by 5 Oats but then I got 15 Oats and things turned around! AND the game only cost $2.99, but I bought four core sets so I'd get a free gallon of milk (a limited time promotional add-on I am gonna flip on the 'Geek market)! That's fun value for your money. If they release an expansion (maybe Multigrain...or Frosted could be next?!) I'll be there!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Does anybody recommend the XCOM boardgame? I got a gift card and was thinking of picking it up.
It's... okay. Kind of boring for most roles, as there aren't really very many interesting decisions to make unless you're the scientist.

Get Space Alert instead, or if you already have it, play Space Alert.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

We found it entertaining enough for a few playthroughs (which is good enough for me), but it's not something you'll play more than 5 or 6 times I wouldn't think.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

This is a pretty interesting geeklist:
Defect or Feature? Divisive elements in popular games

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SuperKlaus posted:

Played a few rounds of Honey Nut Cheerios: The Power of Oats this morning and had a blast! The game is seriously FUN. You play as yourself - I wish more board games let me immerse myself so much in their world! - and the goal is to collect delicious oats and gain their power. At the end of the game you compare your Oats Total to the Oat Power Meter to see how much power you got from oats, so the theme of "Power of Oats" is really tightly integrated in the system. The art is also great, with pictures of horseshoes on the tile that says "extra horsepower" and even a little dance step chart on the tile that says "dance ahead three!" Ha ha! This cereal game is no VP salad!

It's easy to learn. The rules are very simple: every turn each player flips a coin and moves 1 space along the track if it comes up heads, 2 if it comes up tails. This made it accessible to the whole family and a great "intro" game. But it's hard to master. There are really important 10- or 15-Oat squares smart players will aim for over the 1-to-3-Oat squares, and you have to play wisely around the squares that make you lose a turn or stop to eat tasty cereal. I'm still "chewing on" the ramifications of the one that says whole grain oats are part of a heart-healthy diet.

The greatest thing is that it supports any number of players! The trash-talking at the table was intense when I was behind by 5 Oats but then I got 15 Oats and things turned around! AND the game only cost $2.99, but I bought four core sets so I'd get a free gallon of milk (a limited time promotional add-on I am gonna flip on the 'Geek market)! That's fun value for your money. If they release an expansion (maybe Multigrain...or Frosted could be next?!) I'll be there!

That sounds like a real treat. I'm sure it left you hungry for more!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This guy knows what he's talking about :
1) Agricola: Feeding your family = Feature
9) Caverna: No random set-up = Defect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

lmao at the one compaining about vp cards in dominion slowing down your deck