Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Here in the Fargo airport they have a nice little boat by the baggage claim, showing a monthly payment of $255. Curious about the term, I wandered over and the fine print is for 180 months. 15 loving years to pay for a boat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

subx posted:

You don't quite get the same protection because the money still comes out of your account. You may be able to recover it but you are not going to be able to access that money until you do. With a normal credit card, you don't spend any of your own money until you pay the monthly bill, so if you have a dispute your account may get frozen while they investigate, but you don't have to worry about your bank account going negative.

I've kind of gone sour on debit cards, I don't like the idea of someone getting my card/information and being able to make me miss a mortgage payment or whatever. I just have a rewards card I buy everything with and pay it off each month. Apparently that's not possible for some people, as they see 10,000 credit limit and immediately have to spend that much.

I'm in agreement, I only use my debit card to get cash at ATM's.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
A couple of non-Bitcoin-related "bad with money" stories recently came up in the YOSPOS Bitcoin thread:

Azathoth posted:

during a dark time in my life, i worked at a store that sold moneypak. it happened to be in an area with a large immigrant community and we had a steady stream of people come in every payday with a wad of cash to reload their green dot card. nothing scammy, unbanked people have bills to pay and stuff to buy and running around with a stack of cash is annoying and a little dangerous.

now, most of those people were undocumented immigrants, but one was a coworker who was so irresponsible that he had gotten checking accounts involuntarily closed with so many banks that he ended up in some shared database of recidivist deadbeats and no bank would give him anything more than a savings account.

so every payday, he would cash his paycheck and immediately put it on his green dot card. he wasn't scamming the banks, he just had really poor impulse control. he blow his entire paycheck on booze and strippers, then have to figure out how to eat for a week or two with no money until his next paycheck came through.

inevitably, he'd end up overdrawn and would just open up another account at a new bank rather than get right with the old one, but when that caught up with him, he got well and truly locked out of anything useful that a bank can do.

i always figured that the moneypak user demographic was really similar to western union's. lots of immigrants with a smattering of the terminally stupid.

surebet posted:

i worked with a guy that had a fierce drinking problem, and he was paid via direct deposit on wednesday night midnight-ish

since he was usually broke and the bar wouldn't extend him credit for the 6 hours preceding the deposit, he'd usually go do a "deposit" himself in the form of an empty envelope at an atm then proceeded to withdraw some cash

next morning he called up his bank, explained his "error" and got them to debit his account of whatever amount he fraudulently "deposited"

ok fine, i guess you can be an airhead and botch a cheque deposit once, twice is pushing it, but lo and behold on the third time the bank told him to cut that poo poo out

so when he pulled that stunt for the fourth time in 5-6 pay cycles he got the boot, and just like getting an insurance contract cancelled by the policy issuer will haunt you for a long time getting your checking account nuked tends to have repercussions

killhamster posted:

i got a job working for a bank years ago and my very first call was some idiot kiting checks and not understanding why this was a bad thing

he wasn't even using two accounts he was just writing bad checks to himself from the same account and depositing them hoping money would just happen

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I feel bad for her and it sucks that a lot of business boils down to deceiving people who are ignorant for good reasons, like being young.

Anyway anyone remember that episode of king of the hill where it turned out hank had been buying cars at sticker price his whole life?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/hl-6122223/king_of_the_hill_sticker_price_season_12/

"special deal"

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
My dad sent me an email. Long story short, my sister is about to give birth, and my dad has it in his head that storing the cord blood in a private bank is critically important, because "the benefits of stem cells are yet unknown." My wife and I are in the process of trying to adopt a child, and my dad is offering to pay for this for my sister and me.

He linked me to this: http://www.cordblood.com/

I read around that page, watched a video, and checked out cord blood banks on Wikipedia, because I hadn't really heard of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_blood_bank posted:

The policy of the American Academy of Pediatrics states that "private storage of cord blood as 'biological insurance' is unwise" unless there is a family member with a current or potential need to undergo a stem cell transplantation. The American Academy of Pediatrics also notes that the odds of using one's own cord blood is 1 in 200,000 while the Institute of Medicine says that only 14 such procedures have ever been performed. Private storage of one's own cord blood is unlawful in Italy and France, and it is also discouraged in some other European countries. The American Medical Association states "Private banking should be considered in the unusual circumstance when there exists a family predisposition to a condition in which umbilical cord stem cells are therapeutically indicated. However, because of its cost, limited likelihood of use, and inaccessibility to others, private banking should not be recommended to low-risk families."The American Society for Blood and Marrow Transplantation and the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists also encourage public cord banking and discourage private cord blood banking. Nearly all cord blood transfusions come from public banks, rather than private banks, partly because most treatable conditions can't use one's own cord blood.

So basically, it's like $1.5-2.5k up front and $150-300/yr to keep cord blood in a jar only you can use, just in case you need some stem cells later. The odds of you needing them and actually being able to use your own are extremely rare, based on current science. Personally, I'd rather donate

Politely declining, I quoted that same bit of the Wikipedia article and said if anything, I'd donate it to a public cord bank, or to medical research.

He got extremely mad about this for some reason, saying he was "tired of arguing with me" :confused: and how I should learn to accept a gift.

Edit: For the record, I'm like 90% certain my sister will accept this.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 9, 2015

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Giving birth is one of those times where you are emotionally vulnerable because all these companies have to do is like, imply you aren't thinking of the future health of your child and suddenly you are bending over backwards to write them a check for a few thousand dollars.

When I was pregnant, I think I got spam in the mail about cord blood banking about once every two weeks in the last two trimesters. Literally just kept sending me literature because I made it on some "I'm having a baby" database. It's sad how often people just give in to emotional blackmail, basically. See also: wedding and funerals.

But yes, you are correct in your assessment that private cord blood banking is dumb as hell.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Maybe he'd trust the AABB more than a wikipedia article?

http://www.aabb.org/sa/facilities/celltherapy/Pages/cordbloodfaqs.aspx posted:

What are the chances I will need my child’s UCB product?

Most transplant physicians discourage using an autologous cord blood unit in the cases of childhood leukemia and other disorders as the stem cells in the unit may also have a genetic defect or predisposition to disease. Also, cells from another person might better fight the leukemia than the child’s own when used for a transplant. Some of the products collected for private storage are used for allogeneic sibling transplants. Cord blood transplants in children with malignant or non-malignant disease from an HLA-matched or one antigen disparate donor demonstrate a 10-fold lower incidence of graft-versus-host disease than that seen after transplantation with an HLA-matched bone marrow obtained from a sibling. Calculations vary among statisticians and organizations regarding the chances of using a stored cord blood product. The Center for International Blood and Marrow Transplant Research (CIBMTR) has published data on the likelihood a single individual would qualify for an autologous or allogeneic HCT according to current indicators. This statistic is 1/200 by the time an adult reaches 70 years of age (https://www.cibmtr.org). Others report a likelihood of one in 2,700.

What if there is a genetic disease in my family?

While several organizations including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists recommend public banking over private, exceptions are made for cases in which a sibling has a disease that can be treated with a stem cell transplant as in the case of some genetic diseases. This could include diagnoses such as pediatric malignancies, congenital immunodeficiency syndrome, a hemoglobinopathy or lysosomal storage disease. Each family should discuss these issues with a health care provider familiar with the situation.

It also says the usual about public vs private(private just holds it for your family, which is dumb as hell because you probably won't use it).

Although it sounds like he just has the idea firmly in his head that this is Very Important for his grandchildren's health, so it'll be hard to dissuade him.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 9, 2015

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Just from a medical technology standpoint, its seems unlikely to be useful. Your kid would need to have a condition or injury that can be treated by a stem cell therapy, that cannot take advantage of olfactory or induced pluripotent stem cells. There is going to be more money for developing treatments that don't require banked chord blood, since the percentage of the population that is banking chord blood is low.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

ExtrudeAlongCurve posted:

But yes, you are correct in your assessment that private cord blood banking is dumb as hell.

It isn't just dumb as hell, it is counter productive. Assuming this stuff is even useful, it is far more likely that a large, public repository of blood/guts/tissue will have what you personally need, than it is that someone in your family will have stored it. People need to accept that public goods have merits and not try to do everything on their own, drat it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

MickeyFinn posted:

It isn't just dumb as hell, it is counter productive. Assuming this stuff is even useful, it is far more likely that a large, public repository of blood/guts/tissue will have what you personally need, than it is that someone in your family will have stored it. People need to accept that public goods have merits and not try to do everything on their own, drat it.

When my baby was born I wanted to donate to a public cord blood bank, but the hospital didn't do that. So I didn't.

The private cord blood banking industry is sleazy as hell. I got a lot of leaflets for it in the big pack of information my Ob-Gyn gave me when I first got pregnant.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
A co-worker just told me about his late 90's vintage projector. Broken now (for the second time) and the size and weight of a checked suitcase. Price when bought new in 1998? Oh, a cool $4000. Used for showings of movies from his collection of $50 laserdisks.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Bad With Money is being in charge of the $160 billion basket of NYC pensions and only after a decade realizing that the funds' entire gains have been eaten up by active management fees. I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but the NYT reported on this yesterday and it should be easy to find.

vvvvv thanks

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 9, 2015

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

pig slut lisa posted:

Bad With Money is being in charge of the $160 billion basket of NYC pensions and only after a decade realizing that the funds' entire gains have been eaten up by active management fees. I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but the NYT reported on this yesterday and it should be easy to find.m

"Wall Street Fees Wipe Out $2.5 Billion in New York City Pension Gains"

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/nyregion/wall-street-fees-wipe-out-2-5-billion-in-new-york-city-pension-gains.html

Ouch, that's over a 10 year period.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

My main question is why are people from Washington so bad at money, half those reddit r/finance shitheads seem to be from here, and we have guys like Slomo with their own threads on this site...

Am I doomed to bankruptcy and poverty?

Tales Of Desire
Nov 5, 2009
How much truck equity have you amassed?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Seattle is a bunch of new money tech people, they get paid mad bank and want to impress all their friends and have no idea what to do with money but spend it all.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

OneWhoKnows posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/nyregion/wall-street-fees-wipe-out-2-5-billion-in-new-york-city-pension-gains.html

Please bring this money to Vanguard, thank you.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

OneWhoKnows posted:

So just think of all the losses they might have incurred if they hadn't used properly-managed funds! :downs:

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
It Came From Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2mnxr3/need_advice_on_moving_forward_after_mom_was/
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2mvthx/update_moving_forward_after_my_mom_was_scammed/
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/31w32e/3rd_update_moving_forward_after_my_mom_was_scammed/

Long story short, this gal's 66 year old mother was fleeced for ~$295,000 on one of those Nigerian "you won the lottery, you just need to pay the taxes/fees up front" scams.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I posted a thread in /r/bitcoin to ask how they manage their investments. Only got one good bad with money reply.

quote:

You've probably seen this before but: Never invest more than you are willing to lose. I think the best example of how to "invest" in Bitcoin is to compare it to purchasing a lottery ticket. You should not expect an insane return on investment (or even a positive one), and you should also not be overly upset if what you invest becomes a sunk cost.
That being said, I invest 20% of my paycheck every month into Bitcoin. I purchase the same time every month but sometimes I buy large amounts and frequently day trade to keep my cost average as low as possible. Due to the volatility of the market, I make one to two trades a month by paying attention to the whaleclub, /r/BitcoinMarkets, and generally staying on top of news in the Bitcoin space.
I am in college and do not have much to diversify so I don't have the best advice in regards to diversifying (there are other subreddits and websites that can give much better advice on that) but I think if you are just attempting to acquire Bitcoins and don't have the time to actively trade, buying a specified amount the same time every month would be the way to go rather than trying to time the market, you will most likely pick wrong unless you are an experienced trader.
If you are looking for something high risk, but possibly high reward, Bitcoin might be what you're looking for, but I would do a significant amount of research before spending a single dollar. Don't take my word for it and remember: no matter how confident someone seems, no one can see the future and you must trade your own conscience.
TL;DR sell your house and everything you own, acquire bitcoin. Hodl.

He has a great savings rate of 20%. He puts it all into bitcoin though. He says don't time the market but bitcoin is on the long slide down to $0. Of course he's in college so he's probably borrowing the money.

His advice on investing: sell all of your assets and buy bitcoin to hold onto it (that's what HODL is). He needs to sell out of his terrible position.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I guess the flipside of this story is that some Nigerians are being very good with money!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
HODL literally means "hold on for dear life." Bitcoiners are insane.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I thought that asking questions that would draw out the investment "knowledge" of bitcoiners would paint an interesting picture. But so few of them are interested in investing. Hold and pray is their strategy.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Nocheez posted:

HODL literally means "hold on for dear life." Bitcoiners are insane.

No, it doesn't. It was a stupid typo made by a stupid bitcoiner that other stupid bitcoiners took to be the pinnacle of comedy and proceeded to run into the ground. Bitcoiners are stupid.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Weatherman posted:

No, it doesn't. It was a stupid typo made by a stupid bitcoiner that other stupid bitcoiners took to be the pinnacle of comedy and proceeded to run into the ground. Bitcoiners are stupid.

And nothing like this has ever happened on the Something Awful dot com Forums.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

moana posted:

Seattle is a bunch of new money tech people, they get paid mad bank and want to impress all their friends and have no idea what to do with money but spend it all.

It's exactly this. College kids getting paid 120,000 a year means you get to see people learn really stupidly bad habits and wreck the local rental market! 3000 for a studio? They'll take it with out negotiating because they've got no other bills and don't care about saving.

I wish I could say I say I was joking about that sort of income first year out of college but I see it every day.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Weatherman posted:

Oh. Well then. It's not usual for Bitcoiners to gently caress up something simple.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Not a Children posted:

These actually came out of the old feminism thread in E/N

If you think this thread has long, lovely derails, well, I've got news for you....

My heart says that this whole thread is really a derail from horse chat. I want to print those out and carry them in my wallet so I can read them to myself in moments I need joy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

OneWhoKnows posted:

Oh no my dad :ohdear:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

OneWhoKnows posted:

I hate to play the devils advocate here, but doing some napkin math shows that if that 2.5 billion was extracted over a 10 year period, and the 160b in total holdings was maintained as a result of that, wouldn't that mean that the fees were about equal to the apparent growth rate of about 250m per year, about 0.0015% per year? Would that be considered excessive for a pension fund? I mean, 0.0015% returns is pretty dismal, so it'd be more poor investment decisions than excessive fees doing the damage, right?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

I hate to play the devils advocate here, but doing some napkin math shows that if that 2.5 billion was extracted over a 10 year period, and the 160b in total holdings was maintained as a result of that, wouldn't that mean that the fees were about equal to the apparent growth rate of about 250m per year, about 0.0015% per year? Would that be considered excessive for a pension fund? I mean, 0.0015% returns is pretty dismal, so it'd be more poor investment decisions than excessive fees doing the damage, right?

Basically they don't deserve any fees for their poo poo performance, or at least that's how the man on the street would view it. They fact that they look like they put the money into CDs and collected the money for themselves is nasty.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Not a Children posted:

They didn't put the whole fund in hedge fund management.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Not a Children posted:

I think you're right. I got this good response when I asked about this in the long term investing thread:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tales Of Desire posted:

How much truck equity have you amassed?

err... I drive a Sedan that I paid cash for?

Then again its a Pontiac so... bad with money

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
There seems to be some bullshit going on here by the fund manager. He claims the fees have eaten the returns. However the bloomberg article shows 10 year returns in the fund ranging through 6% to 13% annual return over the 10 years. The returns are substantial even the summary at the start of the report linked in the article talks about 12% returns in 2013 and 17% in 2014. So they get this level of returns and he's bitching about 0.2% fees?

There's some political bullshit going on here. Maybe they priming people to accept poo poo payouts from the fund because they can't afford to pay everyone at retirement? Maybe there's something else going on? Either way someone is lying.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Devian666 posted:

There seems to be some bullshit going on here by the fund manager. He claims the fees have eaten the returns. However the bloomberg article shows 10 year returns in the fund ranging through 6% to 13% annual return over the 10 years. The returns are substantial even the summary at the start of the report linked in the article talks about 12% returns in 2013 and 17% in 2014. So they get this level of returns and he's bitching about 0.2% fees?

There's some political bullshit going on here. Maybe they priming people to accept poo poo payouts from the fund because they can't afford to pay everyone at retirement? Maybe there's something else going on? Either way someone is lying.

The NYT article is worded poorly, I think. If I understand the Bloomberg guy correctly, the management fees actually ate up only the returns above the level that the total market returned. In other words, the managers outperformed the market, and then they clawed back 95% of that outperformance. But the fund still had plenty of market gains over that time.

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

It's just political grandstanding, nothing more, nothing less. I smelled bullshit as soon as I read the NYT story. They tried to make it sound like the fees ate all the returns, but if you read carefully, they never actually say it. Pathetic.

That said, if they're unhappy with the fees or performance, they can just do what every other institution does when they're unhappy with their investment managers. Fire them and hire other managers. And save us the crocodile tears of "Wall Street is STEALING MONEY FROM TEACHERS AND SANITATION WORKERS HURRRR!"

Yeah, or, you know, get your name in the NYT. That works too.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

pig slut lisa posted:

The NYT article is worded poorly, I think. If I understand the Bloomberg guy correctly, the management fees actually ate up only the returns above the level that the total market returned. In other words, the managers outperformed the market, and then they clawed back 95% of that outperformance. But the fund still had plenty of market gains over that time.

This is the correct read of what happened.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Devian666 posted:

I thought that asking questions that would draw out the investment "knowledge" of bitcoiners would paint an interesting picture. But so few of them are interested in investing. Hold and pray is their strategy.
Considering that a lot of them are probably more invested in the ~dream~(technological revolution! currency of the future! down with fiat! untraceable and secure! be your own bank!) than anything, and the rest are greedy idiots, this really shouldn't surprise you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
blindly trusting the clickbait shitrag that is the NYT is bad with money

• Locked thread