Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Thanks to growing up near North San Jose I get confused when someone says downtown and it's not a desolate borefest.

It's looking like they kind of want it to be a slightly less terrible Santanna Row, mixed with University Ave in Palo Alto. I dunno, it's really not my thing and it's probably going to take a long time, but honestly, I can't blame them for wanting it. It seems inevitably bland and capable of attracting bored citizenry from nearby cities. It seems very Fremont. If I had a house in this town I'd be doing cartwheels and holding onto selling it for a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

http://www.fremont.gov/1655/Downtown

It's just gonna be a big strip mall probably, but what else could it be? I work in an office nearby, I guess once this thing becomes Auto Mall Parkway Version 2 I'll probably be moving to cheaper digs.

edit: and yes, this is not a walkable city.

edit 2: lmao: http://vizdemo.com/fremont/
"Check out our 360 degree view of the Downtown and slideshow below to get a flavor of what we envision for the Downtown."

Featureless gray boxes, and apartments above retail shops, I guess.

not accurate since the crowd isn't 90% Indian

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

etalian posted:

not accurate since the crowd isn't 90% Indian

Come on, half Chinese/half Indian would be most accurate for Fremont.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Fremont is home to the largest population of Afghans in the US!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Space-Bird posted:

I have someone in my building who smokes like the dankest OG Kush ever + ground up tires, and it seeps up into my apartment around Midnight, 4 am, and 6 am...it constantly wakes me up and I think I have an electrical fire. I've had to buy multiple air purifiers to deal with it. I applaud anyone who makes the effort to smoke on the street or in a public space.....just don't do it in your bathroom in a multi-unit building. Cigarette smoke on the other hand has become entirely laughable to me, I swear whatever this person is smoking....oh my god...

Why not talk to them about it?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Metropolitan Water District to vote on rationing water in southern California next week.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

quote:

Local agencies that need more water than the MWD allocation will be required to pay punitive surcharges of up to $2,960 an acre-foot for the extra deliveries.

http://www.iid.com/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=4325 posted:

Water Rate
For all water delivered $20.00 per acre-foot

:ironicat:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Really, we all know who to blame for the drought: environmentalists.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/carly-fiorina-california-drought-116711.html?hp=lc2_4 posted:

Carly Fiorina is blaming liberal environmentalists for what she calls a “man-made” drought in California.

“It is a man-made disaster,” Fiorina, who is “seriously considering” a run for president in 2016, told the Blaze Radio on Monday.

“California is a classic case of liberals being willing to sacrifice other people’s lives and livelihoods at the altar of their ideology. It’s a tragedy.”

The former Hewlett-Packard CEO, a Republican, ran for a California Senate seat in 2010 against incumbent Democrat Barbara Boxer and lost. Now, the state is facing a devastating drought in its fourth year. On Wednesday, California Gov. Jerry Brown issued an executive order to restrict water usage. The directive orders California’s State Water Resources Control Board — which supplies 90 percent of Californians with water, according to The New York Times — to reduce its supply by 25 percent.

Republicans have blamed California’s protections for endangered species for the drought. In December, the House passed a bill to pump water from the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta to Southern California, a move that environmentalists said would harm endangered fish species. The Obama administration threatened to veto the bill.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What is up with former HP CEO's and running for office? I understand that egotistical executives make a mental connection of "I can run a corporation = I can run a country", but out of the pool of companies HP doesn't exactly strike me as proof of any CEO's success and leadership. :v:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Trabisnikof posted:

Carly putting the last fork in irony by complaining that someone is putting their ideas ahead of other's livelihoods...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

What is up with former HP CEO's and running for office? I understand that egotistical executives make a mental connection of "I can run a corporation = I can run a country", but out of the pool of companies HP doesn't exactly strike me as proof of any CEO's success and leadership. :v:

Carly Fiorina couldn't run HP. Spectacularly so.

First result of a lazy google search, but it runs down the main problems:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-rise-fall-of-carly-fiorina/

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I remembered equally crazy ideas from signs on the side of 5 near LA and looked up what, if any, their explanation is for the drought being 'man made':

http://www.familiesprotectingthevalley.com/AboutUs-i-63-63.html posted:

Current attacks on the Valley’s water take two forms. One is the view that water is nothing but a commodity and must be sold to the highest bidder. This is a foolhardy concept which, if followed, will condemn the United States to depend upon foreign sources with unreliable health protections for its food supply.
The second attack comes from the fringe environmentalists who consistently take water from agriculture either by court order or legislative action. Much of the time, the water does not improve the situation for which it was ostensibly taken. Nonetheless, elected officials, including some from the Valley, continue to look the other way and have been woefully impotent in protecting this Valley.
I guess they think we gave all the water to the delta smelt.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Trabisnikof posted:

I hate these articles, because the little details matter: the pumps are almost certainly running anyways, since the delta ruling previously just limited the amount the pumps can run during certain months. The San Luis reservoir has been receiving a lot of water when there's water to be had (5k+ AF/day) from the pumps. The San Joaquin valley has gotten jack poo poo for rain this year compared to the north (which was still really low), so it's not coming from there.

Anyways, the bill (buried somewhere): http://valadao.house.gov/uploadedfiles/hr5781.pdf

It's pretty bad.

Sydin posted:

She ran the company in to the ground, and must have a whole group of yes-men around her for her to not realize that she's absolutely loathed for what she did. On the day her departure was announced the market responded by the value of HP increasing by like 3B+ or something, which really shows how her leadership was viewed. I really hope somehow she ends up picked for VP (she won't) just because her record is so horrible.

edit:

snyprmag posted:

I remembered equally crazy ideas from signs on the side of 5 near LA and looked up what, if any, their explanation is for the drought being 'man made':

I guess they think we gave all the water to the delta smelt.

Pure PR. The reality is that the Trinity River issue finally being addressed in the early 2000's left the CVP with an overall deficit of 500k+ AF/year, and rather than deal with that they have just come up with increasingly stupid ways of attempting to either gently caress the salmon/smelt in the Delta more than they used to (increased pumping, changing water quality measurements) so that they can continue delivering the amount of water they were previously. The diversions and management of the Trinity was loving illegal under Federal law, and regardless of how much money the feds threw at habitat restoration you can't make a habitat without water, and eventually a ruling was handed down as such after decades of mismanagement.

The fact that we're now in a historic drought is also somehow lost in their messaging.

Pervis fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 7, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Keyser S0ze posted:

There are decent downtown pockets in most of the South Bay places, unlike most of the East Bay (except Oakland/Berkeley).

San Mateo/Burlingame = both good
San Carlos/RWC = probably ok now
Mtn View = okay
Sunnyvale = good enough
Santa Clara = meh
San Jose = very good now
Campbell = good enough
Los Gatos/Saratoga = good

Fremont/UnionCity/Hayward/SanLeandro/etc = poo poo

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Let me add a few to this:

Menlo Park: Okay, borderline "good enough" (Feldman's is one of my favorite bookstores in the Bay Area, and the Menlo library isn't bad either).

Palo Alto: Good enough, due to the proximity to Stanford and some decent cafes, despite being yuppie as gently caress. I also love the Stanford Theater to pieces.

I would also put Redwood City in solid "good" territory nowadays due to their surprisingly interesting county history museum, Haus Stadt, the presence of a smoking cafe* (Broadway Tobacconists), and kickass Mexican restaurants up and down Middlefield. All that's missing is a good bookstore, although their downtown public library isn't bad.

Edit: *Seriously, SFers are the biggest bunch of hand-wringing busybodies out there when it comes to tobacco. God forbid if I want to enjoy a cigar on a bar patio surrounded by weed smokers.

I live in the middle of the peninsula, and a lot of those towns have great downtowns depending on what you consider great. Palo Alto has degraded a lot in the ten years I've lived in the Bay Area: the small funky stores have been pushed out by high rents, and downtown is now mostly restaurants and chain stores. It is still fun to walk around in. Menlo Park has a great downtown for shopping, but it's definitely slanted toward 50something upper-middle-class people; the Sunday farmer's market is year-round and excellent. Redwood City has turned its downtown around and is now full of things to do; it has a much younger vibe than any of the other places around here, including a spectacular movie-theater complex in the downtown. It also has a thriving commercial district. San Carlos has a very pretty downtown and is very walkable/bikable; the downtown is very much slanted to upper-middle-class thirtysomethings with kids. The downtown has some fun 1920s and 1930s buildings. The restaurant scene is spectacular; there are too many expensive Italian places, but there's also Burmese, Moroccan, barbecue, izakawa Japanese, a couple of beer/wine pubs, and the usual conglomeration of Thai, Middle Eastern, and Chinese.

I've lived in the suburbs of a Southern state and a New England state, and the Bay Area suburbs are far, far more full of interesting things to see, do, and buy than are the post-50s heavily-zoned suburbs I've lived in elsewhere. Furthermore, if you pick your suburb and your location carefully, CalTrain, with all its faults, will get you up to the city and down to San Jose.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I honestly don't understand why somebody who, after massive money investments, failed to win statewide office TWICE thinks she's remotely likely to primary into the Presidency.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I honestly don't understand why somebody who, after massive money investments, failed to win statewide office TWICE thinks she's remotely likely to primary into the Presidency.

She is likely to primary into an increase in her speaking fees and maybe a book deal.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Trabisnikof posted:

Yes the problem was we didn't build any reservoirs to hold the water that isn't there. Got it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trabisnikof posted:

She is likely to primary into an increase in her speaking fees and maybe a book deal.
She's actually running for the VP slot, hoping to the be obvious pick to provide some gender balance to a GOP ticket that's going head to head against The First Major-Party Woman Presidential Candidate

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yes the problem was we didn't build any reservoirs to hold the water that isn't there. Got it.

It falls into that infuriating but all too common narrative in America that there are actually infinite amounts of all resources and those crafty liberals are just pulling the wool over everybody's eyes in the form of climate science and environmental awareness in order to tax everyone to death or ruin their businesses out of spite.

See also: The mostly unsubstantiated idea that there are oceans of oil a little deeper down from where we are currently drilling so we shouldn't have to worry about alternative sources of energy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also this other idea, which is that if an environmental regulation actually inconveniences us in some way - such as putting some "resource" off-limits - that this means the regulation over-reached or was bad.

Like... what's the alternative, environmental regulations that do not actually matter or do anything? The whole point of environmental regulations is that they restrict use! Yes, there are endangered species, and we've decided that it's important to not drive them to extinction, and that means sometimes doing without some piece of land or some amount of water or some reserve of oil.

That's not "overreaching" environmentalism. It's just... environmentalism. It's literally the whole thing about giving a poo poo about the environment. Changing behavior, placing some things off-limits.

"But we neeeeeed it" isn't an argument. We don't need more pistachios anyway, but even if we did, that still wouldn't be an argument. It's just whining about regulation being more effective than you wished it were.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Are we still talking about housing issues? Then how about that case SCOCA heard yesterday, California Building Industry Association v. City of San Jose which seeks to strike down San Jose's inclusionary housing ordinance. Builders claim it's discriminatory and unfairly penalizes them without cause.

quote:

“Under basic constitutional principles, government may not single out specific individuals or groups of property owners to bear the burden of paying for needs they didn’t create, and for general social programs that are the responsibility of the entire community,” said Francois [who represented the builders in oral arguments]. “Politicians are not permitted to extort property owners by demanding property that is unrelated to the permits they are seeking.”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Are we still talking about housing issues? Then how about that case SCOCA heard yesterday, California Building Industry Association v. City of San Jose which seeks to strike down San Jose's inclusionary housing ordinance. Builders claim it's discriminatory and unfairly penalizes them without cause.
Is this... is this taking aim at practices that mandate that mixed-use development include a percentage of low-cost housing?
Cuz that's some impressively blackhearted lawyering there if it is.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"millionaires don't want to live in nor buy the overpriced hipster lofts in San Jose above a bunch of common folk, move to Oakland hippies!" - Real Estate Developer

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Keyser S0ze posted:

"millionaires don't want to live in nor buy the overpriced hipster lofts in San Jose above a bunch of common folk, move to Oakland hippies!" - Real Estate Developer

More lofts for millionaires will help everybody therefore we should let them do whatever they want.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

This is my favorite quote about Palo Alto:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
U.S. Representative Lois Capps won't run for reelection, probably because she'd be blown up with how lovely her last campaign was. She took her opponent's quote, which was, "I do not intend to go to Washington to represent the 24th District to bring back baseball fields. That's not why I am going. I am going to fight for my country, and I happen to come from the 24th District." and put this part in her commercial: "I do not intend to go to Washington to represent the 24th District." Then she claimed it was an honest mistake and her campaign pulled the ad as soon as there were complaints. (It still ran for plenty of time, right before the election.)

Anyway, she barely scraped by, so who knows if CA-24 will flip GOP!

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

CPColin posted:

U.S. Representative Lois Capps won't run for reelection, probably because she'd be blown up with how lovely her last campaign was. She took her opponent's quote, which was, "I do not intend to go to Washington to represent the 24th District to bring back baseball fields. That's not why I am going. I am going to fight for my country, and I happen to come from the 24th District." and put this part in her commercial: "I do not intend to go to Washington to represent the 24th District." Then she claimed it was an honest mistake and her campaign pulled the ad as soon as there were complaints. (It still ran for plenty of time, right before the election.)

Anyway, she barely scraped by, so who knows if CA-24 will flip GOP!

That's pretty surprising to me. I would have assumed that Santa Barbara was fairly solidly Democratic, especially with the university there.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
oldest of old money surrounded by farms and military

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

That and college kids often will still vote absentee to their parents address (or not vote).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

VikingofRock posted:

That's pretty surprising to me. I would have assumed that Santa Barbara was fairly solidly Democratic, especially with the university there.

Santa Barbara is unbelievably rich.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Keyser S0ze posted:

oldest of old money surrounded by farms and military
Yeah, this.

Reagan's ranch was located just outside of Santa Barbara, after all.

I wouldn't worry about the seat flipping in 2016, assuming Team D can field a quality candidate. Dems have a very strong advantage in Presidential election years. Holding it in 2018, on the other hand...

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
San Luis Obispo County is in the same district and generally leans more to the right. So do the 100k people living in Santa Maria. The district borders are actually really well done, in my opinion, because whoever wins might actually have to compromise, once in a while, instead of coasting along forever, like Capps did, after she rode her husband's death straight to D.C. in the special election to replace him (she took his seat).

The final vote tally was 103,228 to 95,566, so I guess there's some margin there.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The New Yorker wrote a pretty dumb article the other day on how all sides are to blame and have equal responsibility in the drought:

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/whos-to-blame-for-californias-drought

quote:

The state also revealed figures showing that water use in cities was only three per cent lower in February than in February of 2013—a figure that Felicia Marcus, the chairwoman of the state water-resources control board, called “totally disheartening” on a call with reporters. (Last year, cities were asked to reduce their water use voluntarily.) The state asked some communities in Southern California, which actually saw an increase in water use, to explain themselves. They responded, according to the board, that the hotter weather had inspired more landscape watering (“not a great reason,” Marcus said), and that economic growth and tourism had prompted more general water use.

As the drought continues, the state may well have to further adjust how it treats the use of water for environmental and agricultural purposes. In the meantime, reducing outdoor irrigation in municipalities is “the low-hanging fruit,” Marcus said. While it may appear to those of us in cities as though we’re being targeted, and it might feel good to complain about others, the situation is complex and the reality less satisfying: we all need to change.

She admits that the farms use the most water by far, but she just can't help being the reasonable centrist adult in the room and lay the blame on those selfish city folk who want things like drinking water and daily showers.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

VikingofRock posted:

Santa Barbara is like the apotheosis of FYGM. The rest of the county loathes the university and the community college.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

snyprmag posted:

That and college kids often will still vote absentee to their parents address

Which is a good thing than constantly changing your address every six months. I'd rather my vote affect my permanent residence than my temporary one.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Which is a good thing than constantly changing your address every six months. I'd rather my vote affect my permanent residence than my temporary one.

I switched mine because my college was in a more conservative county than my parent's residence (Yolo vs San Mateo) and I wanted to vote on city measures. Thankfully only had to move every two years and haven't had to move back in with my folks.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FilthyImp posted:

Is this... is this taking aim at practices that mandate that mixed-use development include a percentage of low-cost housing?
Cuz that's some impressively blackhearted lawyering there if it is.
No you filthy commoner, real estate developers are Saviors because.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FRINGE posted:

real estate developers are Saviors

Said no one ever. But go ahead, keep embarrassing yourself by arguing against ridiculous strawmen you set up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

enraged_camel posted:

Said no one ever. But go ahead, keep embarrassing yourself by arguing against ridiculous strawmen you set up.
If you're against me, you're with whoever I hate!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

This is my favorite quote about Palo Alto:

Shallow Alto is a horrible place