Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
oh ewww the 3200x1800 one is a touch screen :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

if you're going to you still might want to get the microsoft "signature edition" from their online store

just keep in mind their quoted 10 hour battery life goes way down if you get the retina screen and the i7

also there's some "developer edition" that came out today http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/dell-releases-updated-xps-13-developer-edition-in-wide-variety-of-configs/

i'm aware, but microsoft doesn't actually sell anything but the base non-touch model or the two qhd+ models though, you have to get them from Dell. i give no shits about "touch" capability and given how fucky windows is with display scaling i'd rather just have 1080p and the extra battery life. but i'll be hosed if i'm dropping $1k on a laptop with 4gb of ram in tyool 2015

the developer edition ones are actually better because i don't need an oem windows license, i still have plenty of technet activations that will work, but it's not like i want to wait until may for the thing to ship either.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
i'm so ready for touch screens in laptops to die

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

gimme that sweet sweet starship enterprise touchpad

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Dubstep Jesus posted:

3 years ago i refused to use macbook pros because "lol the screen is so loving glossy." but thanks to touch screens popping up on windows laptops, it's shown me that things could be so much loving worse.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dubstep Jesus posted:

no, look, we went through all this trouble to make a touch aware desktop os that sucks at touch and sucks as a desktop and you're loving well going to use it for both.

the next version will be out soon!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Phoenixan posted:

3 years ago i refused to use macbook pros because "lol the screen is so loving glossy." but thanks to touch screens popping up on windows laptops, it's shown me that things could be so much loving worse.

yeah now there's 3 reflections and if there's any light at all it turns to a giant diffused glare

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I read a thing that says laptop touchscreen orders are way down from component suppliers, I'm pretty sure it's well past peaked and I'd imagine most of those screens are going into "convertibles"

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Phoenixan posted:

matte display MBP supremacy

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sudo Echo posted:

matte display MBP supremacy

hmm no

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

retina with the anti-glare coating is p aight, would prefer matte but I'll take it

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

my mom likes her touchscreen chromebook but she's an old and it's probably faster for her to touch things on the bigger screen than maneuver her wrinkled old fingers around the touchpad

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pram posted:

hmm no

oh please

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
touch screens on laptops are bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001

uncurable mlady posted:

touch screens on laptops are bad

but what if you designed your entire operating system around them. what then ???

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
matte screens remind me of plastic which is the building material of the poor

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

but what if you designed your entire operating system around them. what then ???
then i have some bad news

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

graph posted:

welcome to the club :unsmith:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

thurrott is the biggest loving baby it's amazing he is able to support himself financially in any way shape or form

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pram posted:

yeah lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

pram posted:

half the os, half

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
every day I find a new thing to hate about windows

although powershell is kinda ok. arguably better than bash scripting.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lmao

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

this opinion is wrong and bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

this opinion is wrong and bad

ehhh... worst things in order:
1. Duke winning a national championship
2. bash scripting
3. powershell scripting
4. a kick in the balls

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

how many times did the pos os steal focus today?
or not let you move/delete something because it's "in use" by ???????

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
someone probably stupid said "powershell is like having a wizard wand that weighs 70 pounds" and thats always resonated with me, the syntax is dense but you can get poo poo done w/ it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its actually 70lbs of poo poo in a 10lb bag

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
matte is a lot better imvho but then again im a windows open kinda guy

pram
Jun 10, 2001
matte means your screen isnt covered with glass

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i dont care what my monitor is covered with. i dont touch it or w/e

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

how many times did the pos os steal focus today?

or allow software to create files with too long names, and then refuse to delete, rename, or work with those files in any way

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

or allow software to create files with too long names, and then refuse to delete, rename, or work with those files in any way

I know this is the ms thread but lol clearcase

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol these loving fonts

how does anyone stand to use windows

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
well they are trying to copy off linux but not copying any fixes, that includes workspaces and bad fonts

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i don't know why it's not built-in, but use this http://emptyloop.com/unlocker/

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i love how it's often explorer.exe reporting that it's using the file

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

uncurable mlady posted:

it's just a reimplementation of the scripting architecture Apple created in the late 1980s, but instead of trying to use English-like syntax Microsoft decided to do one of the only things that could possibly be worse and use POSIX shell syntax

so you have a decent object model concept that's completely hamstrung by an interaction model and scripting language designed for literal teletypes. great job there.

I'm honestly surprised too that they used the POSIX shell syntax instead of creating a BASIC shell for it. (which is one of the only other things worse than English-style syntax.) they have such a miserable hard-on for that abomination of a language, but maybe marketing wouldn't let them resurrect the "VBScript" name.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 10, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Phoenixan posted:

i love how it's often explorer.exe reporting that it's using the file

this is usually some lovely preview handler locking the file open because you've clicked on it, and as long as it's selected that means you want a preview, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Virion posted:

I know this is the ms thread but lol clearcase

lol eclipse in my case

• Locked thread