Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Roberta Williams was pure evil.
Williams once literally claimed a decline in Sierra game sales compared to other less bullshit games was due to the lowering price of computers, so dumb poors who didn't 'get' real games were ruining the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along the lines of interesting retro game documentaries, Hulu has Chasing Ghosts. I think it was a pretty interesting companion piece to King of Kong as it shares some of the same people, games and era. It's probably not as well put together, though, but I think it feels like a far different and a MUCH more depressing documentary.

Oh absolutely, I love Chasing Ghosts, maybe even more than King of Kong. I've watched it like four times, there's something fascinating about how weird some of those people are.

The scene where Robert Mrzciak(sp) gets the drawing in the mail and shows off his collection of "art" is so loving :stonklol:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mr.capps posted:

Its all worth it for the rare moments when you think someone has gotten so incredibly hosed over like that and has been hit with all the hindrances, but yet still comes out on top.

There is a Season 6 episode that exemplifies that.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

precision posted:

Oh absolutely, I love Chasing Ghosts, maybe even more than King of Kong. I've watched it like four times, there's something fascinating about how weird some of those people are.

The scene where Robert Mrzciak(sp) gets the drawing in the mail and shows off his collection of "art" is so loving :stonklol:

According to the IMDB message boards, one of the people shown in the movie was convicted or charged with committing child molestations, too, so there's that...

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The fact that strategy guides/hintbooks are still published in physical print and somehow sold boggles my mind, given that you can find insanely detailed walkthroughs for every game ever with a 2 second google search.

You find messy and incomplete FAQs and, increasingly, obnoxious Youtube videos that take 10 minutes to explain a 20 second answer. Some games don't get walkthroughs at all anymore (looking at GameFAQs, Final Fantasy Type-0 has yet to get a complete guide, even the old PSP version). It's not hard to imagine why some people with more money than time would rather just buy a guide.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Erebus posted:

You find messy and incomplete FAQs and, increasingly, obnoxious Youtube videos that take 10 minutes to explain a 20 second answer. Some games don't get walkthroughs at all anymore (looking at GameFAQs, Final Fantasy Type-0 has yet to get a complete guide, even the old PSP version). It's not hard to imagine why some people with more money than time would rather just buy a guide.

Not to get too far off topic but this is true, these days it's actually HARDER to find walkthroughs than it used to be, because now all the spergy kids who used to do ASCII art filled GameFAQs walkthroughs have transitioned to YouTube. My gf got stuck on something in Persona Q at least a month after the game's release and neither of us could find a walkthrough for the part at all except for a goddamn YouTube one.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I really needed a monster hunter guide. That game is impenetrable

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE

That Works posted:

Good Eats is up on YouTube

It used to, but it all got taken down.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watched Three Kings last night, I'm surpised I've never even heard of it considering I love Mark Wahlberg and Spike Jonze, and George Clooney and Ice Cube are pretty cool too. It was decent, nothing to amaze over but I enjoyed it. I'd compare it to Jarhead by both being military movies but not really war movies. Although Jarhead is undeniably better. Definitely recommended if you like any of the actors and want to kill 2 hours.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Three Kings is a masterpiece.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I don't think people realize just how incredibly influential Three Kings turned out to be as a war film. To my best recollection, it was the very first film made about Operation Desert Storm, and it came out during a very interesting period of time socially and politically; after Desert Storm, but before 9/11. I could talk a lot about it I think but I don't really have fully formulated thoughts about it all at the moment, I need to watch it again.

Visually, it's absolutely astonishing. There simply had never been a film that looked like that before. Every single subsequent war film (and a lot of video games for that matter) set in the middle east owes a huge debt of gratitude to the way that O'Russel and his guys shot that film, because as far as I can tell he established that visual aesthetic of blown-out and vividly bright colors in the blinding sun and sand. It's tough to describe, but you guys know what the film looks like. Nobody had simply done that before, but now it's like practically default visual filter for "we're in the middle-east".

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I recently watched Black Mirror on Netflix on a friend's recommendation, and it's excellent. An edgy what-if look at near-future extensions of current social issues related to technology - somewhat reminiscent of The Outer Limits but with better production values and less camp. The first episode puts some people off and isn't really representative of the rest of the series, but still good. The Christmas special White Christmas with Jon Hamm doesn't seem to be on Netflix, but 4oD does have it with advertising - and it is possibly the strongest episode of the show.

Also, I finished the first season of Better Call Saul, and I know others have already recommended it but I just want to say it's definitely worth watching. It has a lot of the gritty plot lines of Breaking Bad but with a sense of humour the first show lacked.

I also really enjoyed Fargo the series - Martin Freeman channels William H Macy very well but with his own style, and Allison Tolman does a stellar job. She manages to convey a great deal of character development across just one season, growing Molly Solverson from a slightly out-of-her-depth small town police officer into a strong, self-assured, and competent detective, as well as being a credible and attractive love interest despite not exactly possessing the typical hollywood look. The pacing also felt just right; it kept a compelling movement and ramping up the convolutions of the plot, without getting bogged down with excessive twists.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah at the time it came out and for a while afterwards, Three Kings was all anyone was talking about. And it holds up very well.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Mst3kmann posted:

It used to, but it all got taken down.

Yeah, what's up with that? Didn't they just get a bunch of new episodes?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

I really needed a monster hunter guide. That game is impenetrable

Come to the MH thread, we'll help you out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

It has a lot of the gritty plot lines of Breaking Bad but with a sense of humour the first show lacked.

Hold up

What

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Well I shouldn't say lacked, I just mean Better Call Saul has a lighter tone and isn't as hard wearing on the nerves.

edit: Breaking Bad had its funny moments for sure. Spoons, rocks (minerals), etc.

blood_dot_biz
Feb 24, 2013
Netflix just recently started showing me a list of things it thinks I started watching but didn't finish, but it's not accurate at all. I like the idea because I sometimes switch between multiple different things, especially shows, but everything I've watched for the past few months is showing up there and it's essentially useless. Has anyone figured out a way to wipe things off of that list so it only shows things you really are in the middle of watching? I tried clicking on things and moving their playback directly to the end and letting it play out until there was nothing left, and that seemed to work, but the next day they were back again.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

blood_dot_biz posted:

Netflix just recently started showing me a list of things it thinks I started watching but didn't finish, but it's not accurate at all. I like the idea because I sometimes switch between multiple different things, especially shows, but everything I've watched for the past few months is showing up there and it's essentially useless. Has anyone figured out a way to wipe things off of that list so it only shows things you really are in the middle of watching? I tried clicking on things and moving their playback directly to the end and letting it play out until there was nothing left, and that seemed to work, but the next day they were back again.
You can do this via the netflix website. Go into your recently watched list.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Any opinions on Halt and Catch Fire? I don't think I'd heard of it until it just got added, but apparently it's an AMC drama about the early computer industry in the '80s.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

kaworu posted:

I don't think people realize just how incredibly influential Three Kings turned out to be as a war film. To my best recollection, it was the very first film made about Operation Desert Storm, and it came out during a very interesting period of time socially and politically; after Desert Storm, but before 9/11. I could talk a lot about it I think but I don't really have fully formulated thoughts about it all at the moment, I need to watch it again.

I remember reading somewhere that one of the things that made Three Kings special was it had the lowest shots fired of any war film, but every bullet mattered.

I like that because it sums up the entire feel of the movie as these American soldiers wander around in this strange quasi-war zone so particular to modern warfare (and Desert Storm in particular) that hadn't been captured on film before.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 9, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I remember reading somewhere that one of the things that made Three Kings special was it had the lowest shots fired of any war film, but every bullet mattered.

that's very apt.

i haven't been a fan of the direction O'Russell's career has taken but Three Kings is loving incredible.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I've just learned that Crank is on Netflix. The movie people who somehow like Dredd should actually like instead. Jason Goddamn Statham. Dwight Goddamn Yoakam. And a cameo from Dennis Reynolds.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Crank is ok but Dredd is like 10x better

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I remember liking Three Kings a lot, but I just realized that I had totally forgotten that it was between the wars.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Yeah I agree, O'Russel is hit or miss with me but I *love* this film.

The setting is so strange and you can feel it in every frame. It looks like a war movie except saturated with the politics of the conflict to the point that it's overwhelmed and removed the action. It's got American soldiers over here. Iraqi soldiers over there. Innocent civilians caught in the middle.

Except no one's shooting at each other. There's no battle lines. The two armies move freely through each other, ignore each other, barter and gab (the film takes place after hostilities ended in Desert Storm). Neither side cares about the other and they're busy putting together their post-war agendas. It does this amazing job of draining war of all its moral clarity via banal geopolitics instead of the animal savagery and chaos of a Vietnam film.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 9, 2015

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzs5nuGNpg

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

drat now I have to watch Dredd again

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:thumbsup:
You're back in my good books.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

A MIRACLE posted:

drat now I have to watch Dredd again

I was just thinking the same thing. Karl Urban was just so perfect for that role.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I like that because it sums up the entire feel of the movie as these American soldiers wander around in this strange quasi-war zone so particular to modern warfare (and Desert Storm in particular) that hadn't been captured on film before.
Kelly's Heroes? ;)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

They're both fantastic. Urban and Statham are both obviously having so much fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

These forums must have the highest percentage of Dredd advocates anywhere. I wholly approve. That movie is fantastic.

I just love how if anyone talks crap about it they just get piled on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just don't see how you could dislike Dredd unless you hate the entire genre it's operating in or something.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

precision posted:

I just don't see how you could dislike Dredd unless you hate the entire genre it's operating in or something.

I think it was OK, so I don't dislike it. I just don't see what makes it more interesting or well done then... well actually interesting or well done action movies. I appreciate some of the stuff it does, like actually keeping Urban in the helmet the whole movie, though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why would you say it wasn't interesting or well done? Personally I thought it was one of the most interesting and well done, and aesthetically pleasing action movies I've seen.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Erebus posted:

Any opinions on Halt and Catch Fire? I don't think I'd heard of it until it just got added, but apparently it's an AMC drama about the early computer industry in the '80s.

It's decently good, but not as good as it thinks it is / wants to be.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Mommie Dearest is on Netflix now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UTxAeUiwU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I just noticed the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers got put up at some point. It's good, if you never seen it you should probably watch it. It's got Donald Sutherland, Jeff Goldblum, and Leonard Nemoy, along with some amazingly creepy parts. Donald Sutherland sleeping in the garden is an absolutely classic scene.

coyo7e posted:

Kelly's Heroes? ;)

One of my favorite WWII movies, although it's a bit lighter in tone than Three Kings. It also has Donald Sutherland in it as a perma-stoned tank commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why does netflix put "a netflix original" next to a bunch of BBC shows on US Netflix?