Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Pray tell, how does the SFU poetry grad living in the lower mainland perform the same career jujitsu?

Anyone soul-less enough to be an SFU poetry grad has a bright future as the CEO of a Canadian mining company ahead of them.

Baronjutter posted:

BC has a deeply ingrained hosed up culture where a generation or more of people have seen the #1 way to get rich is property speculation. In fact it's the only way to get rich because there sure as hell aren't careers here and why work when you can speculate? Everyone measures their jobs/income by how much house they can buy. You work in BC only to qualify for a mortgage, your career is equity building. People know the big money is always getting in on the ground floor, so everyone rushes in to buy anywhere there is a possibility of becoming a boom town. So some place announces an approved LNG terminal, or a mine, or what ever, and people go nuts buying way before anything happens because they want to get in on that ground floor. They want to buy those decaying poo poo shacks now for 100k because once the big industry takes off it will be worth 500k, or command insane rents. That's of course if the approved or even rumoured plan ever gets off the ground.

It ends up being like stocks a bit, people get a "hot tip" and go buying crazy, and with houses you're always buying on margin. Nothing wrong with an economy based entirely around people buying massive investments on margin.

It would take some start up capital, but hear me out.

I am envisioning a pump and dump model for this investment.

1) Buy up some bumble-gently caress towns housing market
2) Release a lot of press releases about the new mine/LNG/TWF-staffed factory that we are opening there.
3) Sell the houses.

The best part is that it is probably legal as long as we weren't selling shares in the actual mine.Who's in? Should I take this to S-Mart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kafka Esq. posted:

Austrian economics.

:laugh:

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Low hanging fruit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ocrumsprug posted:

Anyone soul-less enough to be an SFU poetry grad has a bright future as the CEO of a Canadian mining company ahead of them.

It would take some start up capital, but hear me out.

I am envisioning a pump and dump model for this investment.

1) Buy up some bumble-gently caress towns housing market
2) Release a lot of press releases about the new mine/LNG/TWF-staffed factory that we are opening there.
3) Sell the houses.

The best part is that it is probably legal as long as we weren't selling shares in the actual mine.Who's in? Should I take this to S-Mart?

Your step 1 is wrong. Don't buy up houses. Instead, be a condo developer and pre-sell the condo units because the only way to get in at the ground floor is to buy before the development happens! Then after transferring all the investor money to other shell companies, declare bankruptcy of your numbered shell company.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Freezer posted:

Paying 1% less interest on an asset that costs 10% more than it did last year is hardly a slam dunk win. Specially considering that the interest could rise, or asset could depreciate (or, for laughs, both).
The entire Canadian real estate market isn't homogenous. If you have a decent job, bought a house with solid inherent value in a non bubble city with a low rate mortgage and made rrsp and tfsa contributions in to the market over the last five years you will have done very well. The spread between market returns and borrowing costs is very high lately.

But yes if you dumped all your money in to an overvalued condo then you lost.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People get psych degrees because it's the one subject they didn't take in high school and therefore it is romanticized. Every other subject is boring because they are boring and it involves hard work. As a consequence the psych program has to be easy to deal with all these self selected rear end hats in order to keep their tuition rolling in.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cultural Imperial posted:

420 smoke NDP every day

That's my line, rear end in a top hat! :saddowns:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

People get psych degrees because it's the one subject they didn't take in high school and therefore it is romanticized. Every other subject is boring because they are boring and it involves hard work. As a consequence the psych program has to be easy to deal with all these self selected rear end hats in order to keep their tuition rolling in.

Makes a fair bit of sense. I don't mean to beat on the liberal arts in general at all, but "fallback" subjects, as you describe here, seem distinctly lovely. History and English Literature, on the other hand, don't seem at all like they're easy, and I'd definitely hire someone with a B.A. in either subject assuming they did well in their program, and it's a decent program. History was a drat sight more challenging to do really well at than most of CompSci, to be quite frank with you -- although it may have been easier to poo poo out a C+ average or something.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

PT6A posted:

Makes a fair bit of sense. I don't mean to beat on the liberal arts in general at all, but "fallback" subjects, as you describe here, seem distinctly lovely. History and English Literature, on the other hand, don't seem at all like they're easy, and I'd definitely hire someone with a B.A. in either subject assuming they did well in their program, and it's a decent program. History was a drat sight more challenging to do really well at than most of CompSci, to be quite frank with you -- although it may have been easier to poo poo out a C+ average or something.

Totally agree. The problem is not, and never has been 'liberal arts', but the manifestations of it, as best exemplified by psychology majors, where the whole purpose is a [failed] attempt at credentialism and extending high school for 4 more years.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If everyone had a university degree there would be no poverty and everyone could be middle or upper class and freely work in any country they want.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But since we live in Canada we're satisfied with just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

cowofwar posted:

I've taken enough psych courses to have a hard time believing it's any more or less of an easy ride in the upper years than any other undergrad.

Anyway, in Ontario the real issue is that there's no hard and fast provincial standard for student performance in any given grade. Differing parent and student dynamics mean that an 80% in a Grade 12 University-stream course in one high school represents a different level of ability than an 80% Grade 12 University-stream course in another high school. Too many low-performers in a classroom means the work needs to be dumbed down for politics/optics reasons.

I imagine this is less of an issue in math and maybe science, but there were kids in my last English placement talking about needing to maintain their 80% average while the work they were turning in was 70% range at best.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I like how Douglas College promotes mediocrity with its degrees.

http://www.blackopalimages.com/blog/Douglas%20College%20-%20Do%20what%20you%20love

The newer ads show some person dressing with antlers, advertising its arts school and some girl who's going into criminology because that's what we need.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I've said this before, but I think it bears repeating: the University of Lethbridge was advertising guaranteed admission with a high school average of 65% or something ridiculous, back when I was in high school.

I'm pretty sure you could get a 65% average by being able to produce fog on a mirror two times out of three. Yes, sometimes people get screwed by bad circumstances, but the answer to that is upgrading your marks and then getting into a school that won't be forever known as "that university where morons go."

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

getting into a school that won't be forever known as "that university where morons go."

I thought that was UBC Okanogan. :v:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rime posted:

I thought that was UBC Okanogan. :v:

I imagine there's at least one in every province.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nah, Douglas will forever be BC's college for idiots.

Douglas College, you don't even have to apply, you're already accepted!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Kafka Esq. posted:

Low hanging fruit.

For shame.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Does it issue 4-year degrees?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I could barely pass math 11 with about 60%, don't think I could ever get into any fancy school that wants more than that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Nova Scotia tabled their new budget today, which cut the film tax credit by 75% and also aims to produce a surplus next year, which would be surprising since this year they've got an almost $100 million deficit. So either they really cut some services or they're pulling some financial wizardry and being super optimistic about how much tax revenue they can collect in the future.

One of the representatives, a former actress-turned-politician, was especially furious at the cut. And I was like 'yeah, this person gets it'. And then a little later she spent nearly 20 minutes talking about how she was a struggling actress in Toronto and how she met a man who did female movie-star impersonations and how he studied with some great actresses in Hollywood and how he complimented her Marilyn Monroe impersonation and I was like "oh, yeah, this is why people are annoyed at the entertainment industry. This person should probably not hold political office."

Anyway, the entertainment industry will lobby mercilessly against this until it goes into effect. We'll see how it turns out. If it goes badly, everything will just move to Ontario and BC.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's the Minority Report of colleges, they accept you before you even apply.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Douglas isn't even the worst offender. Quite frankly for-profit shitholes like the Art Institute should not even be legal, and most certainly should not be allowed to road-trip to every highschool in Rural BC twice a year to give "special presentations" that take up an entire class block for IT students.

It's a travesty.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Lol 'animation'

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lol 'animation'
Tightening up the graphics on level 3 is no joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRWvfMLl4ho

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
If only all these loving losers knew that graphics is one of the hardest courses in any comp sci program.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ccs posted:

One of the representatives, a former actress-turned-politician, was especially furious at the cut. And I was like 'yeah, this person gets it'. And then a little later she spent nearly 20 minutes talking about how she was a struggling actress in Toronto and how she met a man who did female movie-star impersonations and how he studied with some great actresses in Hollywood and how he complimented her Marilyn Monroe impersonation and I was like "oh, yeah, this is why people are annoyed at the entertainment industry. This person should probably not hold political office."

Lenore Zann?

That sounds dumb, but please remember we once elected a 34-year old fiddle player and gym teacher as Premier of Nova Scotia. We also elected a guy who took a selfie with a blackface caricature (and then his party tweeted it from their official account).

Maybe no one here is qualified to hold political office.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 10, 2015

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I am vaguely tempted to see what this thread things of Philosophy degrees

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rime posted:

Douglas isn't even the worst offender. Quite frankly for-profit shitholes like the Art Institute should not even be legal, and most certainly should not be allowed to road-trip to every highschool in Rural BC twice a year to give "special presentations" that take up an entire class block for IT students.

It's a travesty.

Well yeah, those places fall into their own special category of shittiness.

I see so many people get sucked into those places. Yeah, maybe you're not the smartest and aren't shooting for the moon, but you probably could've gone to VCC and taken the same poo poo course, but at 1/10th the cost.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So it looks like any hope of getting a pipeline through BC died in English Bay today.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

FrozenVent posted:

So it looks like any hope of getting a pipeline through BC died in English Bay today.

Lawl no, Transmountain at the least will still go through. It will just be much much messier than it would've been otherwise, and they'll be very thankful that C51 passed so they can crack skulls.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

JawKnee posted:

I am vaguely tempted to see what this thread things of Philosophy degrees

I give major props to anyone who can graduate with a philosophy degree. I once audited a class on Hegel and holy poo poo now I understand where lip flapping assholes like Foucault come from

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I give major props to anyone who can graduate with a philosophy degree. I once audited a class on Hegel and holy poo poo now I understand where lip flapping assholes like Foucault come from

thanks bro, was my first degree

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The Art Institute is great. A friend of mine spent more on an interior design certificate than I did on my SFU bachelor of science and then promptly moved to Nanaimo, where there are no interior design firms, to become unemployed.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I had a friend who did their Graphics Design program and as far as I know is still ~50k in debt :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What's the deal with people getting these bullshit qualifications for jobs that neither require nor, typically, accept any such qualifications?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

JawKnee posted:

I had a friend who did their Graphics Design program and as far as I know is still ~50k in debt :smith:

That number sounds about right to me.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

https://twitter.com/gbonnell/status/586171918350491648

What are you motherfuckers drinking tonight?

I'm finishing off this Ardbeg which is overpriced shitwater.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

PT6A posted:

What's the deal with people getting these bullshit qualifications for jobs that neither require nor, typically, accept any such qualifications?

Yeah, seriously. If anything, having the AI or whatever credential is a strongly negative indicator for your hireability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

That number sounds about right to me.

it's insane how much they charge for... well not much. Every time I hear someone at SFU saying they're thinking about flunking out and going to AI I try and convince them otherwise