Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Cornuto posted:

Fiance's iPad has had it, and I'm shopping for a laptop to replace it. I've always used desktops, and really don't know much about the current laptop market and if its a good time to wait or buy. From online shopping this is my current favorite: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00S44HXRW/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2KX7R5N2RBMPU&coliid=I1T2OJAN54SZNS but I am very open to recommendations. It will be used for email, internet, video, photography mainly.

Is there a better website to buy from, or a different laptop anyone would suggest for at or under the price?

Check in the dedicated Laptop thread pinned at the very top of the Serious Hardware subforum. They are very helpful there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Is there a product like Amazon Echo but for emergencies? I live alone and I don't have a Life Alert bracelet and I think it would be nice to have something in case I fall in the shower or get a really bad leg cramp. I wanna just be able to shout "OK GOOGLE, I'M DOWN! MAN DOWN! EMERGENCY!"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Tea Bone posted:

My old Sonicare is on its last legs, so I'm in the market for a new tooth brush. What's considered to be the "best" electric tooth brush these days?

Still Sonicare, though Braun/Oral-B offers pretty stiff competition at about the same price point. I say both brushes are great, so go with the one that has the bells and whistles you like best or that is easiest to buy your preferred brush heads for.

I'm using the Oral-B right now because the default brush size is more compact (though Sonicare does offer compact heads) and I feel like it's gentler. When I was using the Sonicare, I really liked that it has a little cage you can lock your brush head in and UV the poo poo out of any bacteria that are hanging out.

I feel you can't go wrong either way. Just don't cheap out on any battery operated spinbrush bullshit.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm looking for a pen that I can fiddle with. I'm after something that's:

- A biro/ballpoint
- Retractable point ideally
- Satisfying to fiddle with, can keep my hands occupied (sorry, clicking it in and out isn't enough!)

Probably a bit of a weird requirement but what can I say, I like to play with stuff in meetings.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
I'd like recommendations for A/C units. I have this one currently. There are two tubes that come out of the unit and fix onto a plastic panel that you put in the window.

It's worked fine for 3 years, but it's rather bulky. I've since moved to a bigger (from 1 bdr to 3 bdr) apartment, but all the rooms are much narrower and it's difficult to make it fit. This time, I think I'd prefer something that goes in the window.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hi everybody! I'd like to see if anyone has recommendations on backpacks for something I haven't been able to find yet.

The situation: I travel for work, every week. I carry a backpack (day pack) with me every day - it travels with me, it goes into work each day while the luggage stays at home, I literally carry this at least 5 days a week.

Currently, I have a North Face Surge. I love it, but it's starting to wear out, and I need to find a replacement. They still (sort of) make it, but they've changed it to the Surge II, and ... well, it's not nearly as good. They redesigned some of the pockets (lost a little organizational capability, gained some, probably kind of a wash teetering into a negative), and they seem to have ramped down the quality of components substantially. The zippers are WEAK.

I went by REI, looked at some of the other bags they have from North Face (found nothing better), Osprey (I sort of liked but didn't love the Comet 30), and Thule/Mountain Hardwear. I'm looking online, too, and this looks interesting: http://ivarpack.com/revel, but I don't know the brand and I don't know that it's durable enough.

Basically, I'd like to find a bag that's around this size (let's say about 30L), well made, allows for organization, and can stand up to day in day out use for years.

Ideas?

Krakkles has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Apr 1, 2015

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Hi everybody! I'd like to see if anyone has recommendations on backpacks for something I haven't been able to find yet.

The situation: I travel for work, every week. I carry a backpack (day pack) with me every day - it travels with me, it goes into work each day while the luggage stays at home, I literally carry this at least 5 days a week.

Currently, I have a North Face Surge. I love it, but it's starting to wear out, and I need to find a replacement. They still (sort of) make it, but they've changed it to the Surge II, and ... well, it's not nearly as good. They redesigned some of the pockets (lost a little organizational capability, gained some, probably kind of a wash teetering into a negative), and they seem to have ramped down the quality of components substantially. The zippers are WEAK.

I went by REI, looked at some of the other bags they have from North Face (found nothing better), Osprey (I sort of liked but didn't love the Comet 30), and Thule/Mountain Hardwear. I'm looking online, too, and this looks interesting: http://ivarpack.com/revel, but I don't know the brand and I don't know that it's durable enough.

Basically, I'd like to find a bag that's around this size (let's say about 30L), well made, allows for organization, and can stand up to day in day out use for years.

Ideas?

I've had an Osprey Momentum 34L (which it looks like they don't make anymore) for the past 3 years and its pretty awesome. It's held up great and is very comfortable even when fully loaded. It's well organized and expandible. I'd definitely recommend the brand as a whole.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

colas posted:

Is there a product like Amazon Echo but for emergencies? I live alone and I don't have a Life Alert bracelet and I think it would be nice to have something in case I fall in the shower or get a really bad leg cramp. I wanna just be able to shout "OK GOOGLE, I'M DOWN! MAN DOWN! EMERGENCY!"

life alert

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

colas posted:

If you have any recent android phone, you can use "ok Google" and "call [name of contact]"
I think newer versions of ios also offer this in similar fashion with Siri. Obviously this would require you carry your phone around with you though

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Looking for a decent, but not expensive, HDMI switch.

I don't want to monopolize the one TV in my apartment and prevent my GF from watching trashy reality shows and formulaic cop shows, so I hooked my PS4 up to my PC monitor. It has some speakers in it, so while not great, it works until we can move to a larger place that has a dedicated "game room"/home office where I can get a second TV and put my stuff.

But I don't like having to frequently unplug the PS4/PC to plug the other in. I'm worred about wearing out the HDMI port on the monitor.

Since I could potentially play a Blu-Ray or copy-protected content, I want to make sure I get a switch that is HDCP compliant...maybe even the cheap $15 ones are, I don't know, I just don't want to get burned.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Apr 2, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does your monitor have DVI or Displayport? That would be much better than an HDMI switch, because HDCP is weird black magic that never works right.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I wish it did, but it doesn't. It has HDMI and VGA.

I guess I could get a DVI to VGA cable to go from my video card, but I feel like that's not as good as the existing DVI to HDMI, what with HDMI and DVI being basically the same thing and all.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

DrBouvenstein posted:

Looking for a decent, but not expensive, HDMI switch.

I don't want to monopolize the one TV in my apartment and prevent my GF from watching trashy reality shows and formulaic cop shows, so I hooked my PS4 up to my PC monitor. It has some speakers in it, so while not great, it works until we can move to a larger place that has a dedicated "game room"/home office where I can get a second TV and put my stuff.

But I don't like having to frequently unplug the PS4/PC to plug the other in. I'm worred about wearing out the HDMI port on the monitor.

Since I could potentially play a Blu-Ray or copy-protected content, I want to make sure I get a switch that is HDCP compliant...maybe even the cheap $15 ones are, I don't know, I just don't want to get burned.

I'm using a Kinivo 501BN switch, which works pretty nicely for switching between the PS3, PS4, and Wii U on my tv. It might be a bit pricier than what you're hoping for, though.

My own request: my dad's birthday is coming up. He's getting a ham radio license; are there any good books or fun gadgets that I can get him that he'll be able to play with that make use of his new license?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

I'm using a Kinivo 501BN switch, which works pretty nicely for switching between the PS3, PS4, and Wii U on my tv. It might be a bit pricier than what you're hoping for, though.

Ive got this, it works. I like it because it will auto detect which input its receiving and switch channels automatically. You can manually switch with the little remote but its always just switched correctly for me. So its as simple as just turning on the console I want, never have to switch inputs on the TV or the Switch.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Coca Koala posted:

My own request: my dad's birthday is coming up. He's getting a ham radio license; are there any good books or fun gadgets that I can get him that he'll be able to play with that make use of his new license?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Monoprice has a few different two device HDMI switches for under $20. A friend of mine does the same thing with a DVI switch from them and he has no complaints about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2

I used that specific one for years with no issues. My brother is currently using it for a 360 and a PS4 and it works fine for him.

Some of the reviews mention some problems though.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had an older model, but the monoprice HDMI switcher I used was a complete piece of poo poo. When I put my PC into sleep mode, it would switch over to the PS3 I had plugged in (also in standby) and keep the monitor from shutting off. Then it completely stopped working after 2 months.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Twitch posted:

I had an older model, but the monoprice HDMI switcher I used was a complete piece of poo poo. When I put my PC into sleep mode, it would switch over to the PS3 I had plugged in (also in standby) and keep the monitor from shutting off. Then it completely stopped working after 2 months.

That's why I had bought that mechanical manual one. The button push physically changes the connection. Automatic switchers and even manual powered ones almost always have HDCP issues.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
I was thinking of going for Amazon Fire TV + Sling. Anyone here tried Sling yet? Can you DVR things with it in any way (not being able to may be a deal breaker?)

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 13:13 on Apr 7, 2015

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Cornuto posted:

I was thinking of going for Amazon Fire TV + Sling. Anyone here tried Sling yet? Can you DVR things with it in any way (not being able to may be a deal breaker?)

Sling TV is just live-streaming TV. There's no DVR option.

Sweet Calamity
Feb 15, 2008
Take nothing from nothing and you'll have nothing left.
Does anyone have any recommendations for good dry erase markers in a variety of colors? I've been combing through Amazon since I have a gift card, but the reviews for all the brands seem really varied. I want markers that last/don't dry out that come in lots of pretty colors. I would appreciate it if anyone could feed my office supply obsession. :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I want a super minimalistic wallet/money-clip that will last for years.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I got a magic wallet last year and it's held up fine so far. Not sure how sturdy it is over years and years but it's super compact and the gimmick is actually kind of useful. Plus it was ten bucks so I wouldn't really care if it broke in a couple years.

http://www.amazon.com/YCM0101-Wallet-Credit-Wedding-Available/dp/B0091CVUUW/ref=pd_sim_a_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=07V6BCRD6EW31ACDZJ9A

There are also a bunch of variants without the magnetic clip etc.

bamhand has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Apr 8, 2015

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Chas McGill posted:

The Saddleback front pocket ID wallet is pretty minimalist, looks nice and has a 100 year warranty. The leather is a little thick so it's not the absolute thinnest wallet you can find though.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

http://www.slimfoldwallet.com/collections/thin-wallet/products/thin-wallet-black-red-micro-soft-shell

I've been happy with mine, though it is a bit pricey.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My wallets used to last forever until I got a dog that loves to chew and can climb.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My bellroy wallet is nice and good

JustAurora
Apr 17, 2007

Nature vs. Nurture, man!

Sweet Calamity posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for good dry erase markers in a variety of colors? I've been combing through Amazon since I have a gift card, but the reviews for all the brands seem really varied. I want markers that last/don't dry out that come in lots of pretty colors. I would appreciate it if anyone could feed my office supply obsession. :)

Expo markers. As long as they aren't being used for huge drawings and are being properly capped (the extra little click you hear is that it is capped well) they can last a Very long time and come in lots of colors - jewel tones, neons, primary colors, etc. I teach and use them all the time, and have some that I bought A Long Time Ago that are still going nicely (they are in rotation and not constant use).

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Anjow posted:

- A biro/ballpoint
- Satisfying to fiddle with, can keep my hands occupied (sorry, clicking it in and out isn't enough!)

Probably a bit of a weird requirement but what can I say, I like to play with stuff in meetings.

Yo, it's been a while but let me know if you find anything, fiddling things and stationary is my jam

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I've got a house that's about 80% hard surface (laminate/tile) flooring, and 2 cats. Is there any sort of Roomba-like device that can handle the resulting hair puffs?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I always recommend Exentri for wallets: http://exentri.com/en/store.html

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks for all the wallet recs. I went for one in the same range as the Magic Wallet and it seems OK. I may go even smaller with something like the Exentri City at some point though.

Sweet Calamity
Feb 15, 2008
Take nothing from nothing and you'll have nothing left.

JustAurora posted:

Expo markers. As long as they aren't being used for huge drawings and are being properly capped (the extra little click you hear is that it is capped well) they can last a Very long time and come in lots of colors - jewel tones, neons, primary colors, etc. I teach and use them all the time, and have some that I bought A Long Time Ago that are still going nicely (they are in rotation and not constant use).

Thanks! I was leaning towards Expo (been using the same 4 markers for years since I use them sparsely) but I just wanted to make sure.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I'm looking for a large drinking container, preferably one with a handle, dishwasher safe, and an easily securable cap. I emphasize "large" because my husband goes through insane amounts of water a day. The one he's currently using is about 2 liters, but the opening is tiny and mildew tends to grow inside easily. Please to help?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

kinmik posted:

I'm looking for a large drinking container, preferably one with a handle, dishwasher safe, and an easily securable cap. I emphasize "large" because my husband goes through insane amounts of water a day. The one he's currently using is about 2 liters, but the opening is tiny and mildew tends to grow inside easily. Please to help?

Are there any other requirements? I work 12 hour shifts and I use a 2L Hydroflask which keeps my water very cold throughout my shift and I absolutely love it since I am very picky about the water I drink. The only requirement it doesn't have is a handle. Have to use two hands to drink it which gets me some weird looks sometimes.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

kinmik posted:

Doesn't have a handle but I use one of these and it's great, really easy to wash because it unscrews at the middle.

http://www.coolgearinc.com/entertaining/large-swing-top-bottle.html

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Drogadon posted:

Doesn't have a handle but I use one of these and it's great, really easy to wash because it unscrews at the middle.

http://www.coolgearinc.com/entertaining/large-swing-top-bottle.html

Only 36oz.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Etrips posted:

Only 36oz.

Don't size shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Anjow posted:

- A biro/ballpoint

I'm also looking for a ballpoint. Capped, rather than retractable. Medium point. Gel preferred.

Every pen I've bought, lately, has had weird little downsides (the cap doesn't fit on the non-pointy end, say, or the ink flow is odd). I've tried Pentels, Pilots, and Uni-Balls, and I'm starting to get irritated about having an opinion on writing instruments.