Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Green piss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

aricoarena posted:

Does the part, in the camera body, that detects your aperture have a generic name? I have an om-4 and it doesn't return to position after closing the aperture, so after going to f22 the camera always thinks it's at f22. It's hard to search for a fix when I don't know what to call the part.

Aperture lever.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Aperture lever.

Thank you. Tab just got me stuff about lenses, sensor just got me DSLR stuff. Although "lever" is still bringing back mostly lens related problems.

aricoarena fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 7, 2015

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

Oh hey, look at what I found

I got this just from 20s work in PS and I still think it looks a bit green.
I also did Auto Tone on it and it looked much better.
Calibrate your monitor plez.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Guys, that was the edit I did 2-3 years ago, I didn't even try to edit this.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

Guys, that was the edit I did 2-3 years ago, I didn't even try to edit this.

Wait so that's you in the video? You monster/thanks.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Haha no, not my voice. That video was created specifically because of me though, using my lovely photo, since back then I had no idea how to scan and process properly.

I think forums user QPZIL (sp?) made it. I think?

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

bobmarleysghost posted:

Haha no, not my voice. That video was created specifically because of me though, using my lovely photo, since back then I had no idea how to scan and process properly.

I think forums user QPZIL (sp?) made it. I think?

I just realized that he is swinging a badge or something and not, as I always thought, a lawn dart.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I shot through a roll over the past month and let the lab scan to disk for me. But I wanted to see what kind of difference scanning positive and adjusting levels made vs what they gave me. One of these is out of my V500, the other from my local photo lab. Also I'm colorblind (which is why I barely trust to color correct my scans usually). Does one or the other look better, much righter, or much wronger than the other?

Also, forgive dadpix.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Bottom one is better, top is very green.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea bottom is spot on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bottom one for sure.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Anyone have a shop recommendation for film development in San Diego?

I just moved down from SF and miss my shop (Adolph Gasser).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

(Adolph Gasser).

Unfortunate name there :hitler:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pham Nuwen posted:

I bought an LF lens from them on ebay and when I saw the paypal invoice a small part of me was concerned I just sent money to some kind of neonazi front.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I got my hands on some Canadian Rodinal (sold as Blazinal here) and I want to try this 1+100 hour long stand development that everyone talks about. Are there different times for different films like normal development or does it all kind of even out when you do it this long? The massive dev chart doesn't really give me any specific info.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's pretty funny because they're some of the nicest people I've met, and the shop is just so unfortunately named.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

I got my hands on some Canadian Rodinal (sold as Blazinal here) and I want to try this 1+100 hour long stand development that everyone talks about. Are there different times for different films like normal development or does it all kind of even out when you do it this long? The massive dev chart doesn't really give me any specific info.

Agitate for the first 30 seconds, tap to remove bubbles, agitate 10 seconds and tap at the 30 minute mark, works for pretty much anything

The point of stand development is to 'exploit' fluid movement, the idea is that as the developer sits undisturbed it forms pockets of exhausted developer (exhausted because of the high dilution - the developer only has so much capacity to develop) around the highlights while the shadows continue to develop in areas with unexhausted developer, hence the whole 'compensating developer' thing

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Anyone have a shop recommendation for film development in San Diego?

I just moved down from SF and miss my shop (Adolph Gasser).

North Coast is down there aren't they?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

nm posted:

North Coast is down there aren't they?

Looks like it yeah. I'll check it out.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
In case any of you guys buy custom film sizes from ilford, the ordering window is open:

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=202

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Citizens Photo in Portland has reopened, if you don't have a local lab I highly suggest you look into doing mail-order through them.

LF Dorkroomer Approved™

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

ansel autisms posted:

Citizens Photo in Portland has reopened, if you don't have a local lab I highly suggest you look into doing mail-order through them.

LF Dorkroomer Approved™

Forever and ever, amen.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

ansel autisms posted:

LF Dorkroomer Approved™

Have you ever dealt with North Coast? How does the quality compare?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Any of you guys bulkload 35mm? Got any brand recommendations for reusable cassettes?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

try it with a lime posted:

Any of you guys bulkload 35mm? Got any brand recommendations for reusable cassettes?

I watched this video recently on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evk_oR7TO1o

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I did the math, and I don't think bulk loading saves enough money to be worth the time. The big upside to bulk loading is being able to load short rolls so you don't have to burn 24 frames if you want to test a new camera or whatever.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

mulls posted:

I did the math, and I don't think bulk loading saves enough money to be worth the time. The big upside to bulk loading is being able to load short rolls so you don't have to burn 24 frames if you want to test a new camera or whatever.

I think in the video above, he says the savings by bulk loading with Ilford film is fairly substantial since their bulk film is pretty cheap. He also says that he doesn't get much savings with Kodak bulk film.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I looked it up too and you can save like $1-1.50 per roll depending what film stock you go with. It makes sense for schools but you'd have to shoot a lot of 35mm for it to really be worth the hassle.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

The biggest benefit I see is making smaller rolls. I hate 36 exposures. I'd load them at ~20 or so.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
A friend gave me a bulk roll of tungsten balanced ektachrome with an ISO of 12 that I need to get out and shoot, might have a crack at x-pro as I've got some old C41 chems kicking around.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

try it with a lime posted:

I use those little metal reusable cassettes.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

I looked it up too and you can save like $1-1.50 per roll depending what film stock you go with. It makes sense for schools but you'd have to shoot a lot of 35mm for it to really be worth the hassle.

I shoot a lot of Tri-X. I don't go through the stuff like it's water, but I've definitely found my groove with it and have little intention to use much else when it comes to 35mm. It's been a while since I've shot any HP5, but I might run some test rolls given just how much cheaper it is in bulk.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Looks like HP5 is $65 for a 100 foot roll, and it looks like the average roll of 36 has about 65" of film (including the leader and the end), so 18 rolls and a bit left over for $65 = $3.61 per roll plus your bulk loader and your canisters.

Buying it is $5.59 per roll of 36. You're saving about $2 per roll.

TriX is $127.79 for 100 feet, using the same calculations as above, that's $6.92 per roll, but you could buy it for $5.03 per roll. You're losing money.

TMAX is $82.79 for 100 feet, which works out to $4.59 per roll, versus $5.39 per roll to purchase. Your savings are $0.80 per roll.

All prices from Freestyle.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
My bulk roll of HP5+ lasted me two years and I imagine that my Tmax roll will probably last me just as long. I don't shoot as much 35mm as I do medium format, but I found the investment to be worth it, but then again my Tmax roll was a freebie. I will say that not having to rely on stores or shipping times and just being able to say "gently caress it I'm gonna shoot some 35mm today" is kinda worth the price.

Wish I could bulk roll 120 film.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Wild EEPROM posted:

TriX is $127.79 for 100 feet, using the same calculations as above, that's $6.92 per roll, but you could buy it for $5.03 per roll. You're losing money.

This just does not make sense, but that's been Kodak's MO for a while :confused:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

:eyepop:

Anyone ever done stand dev with Hp5+ pushed to 3200 and hc-110? I find a lot of info on T-max but none for Ilford products and it's all I got. :(

edit : VVV Thanks I'll try that out!

Grimarest fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 10, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Grimarest posted:

Anyone ever done stand dev with Hp5+ pushed to 3200 and hc-110? I find a lot of info on T-max but none for Ilford products and it's all I got. :(

No, but a loose guess would be 2 hour semi-stand, agitate every half hour, for a 3-stop push from 400 to 3200.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Dilution H, 38 mins.

Agitate every minute.

Suffer for your art.

Or Dilution A @ 9 1/2 mins, but i haven't tried it.