Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
Mailbot is a filthy goddamn traitor and it deserved every inch of the beating that Gaad righteously handed out to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

ParanoidInc posted:

Mailbot is a filthy goddamn traitor and it deserved every inch of the beating that Gaad righteously handed out to it.
BEEEEEEEEEEEEP???

spronk
Feb 5, 2011

Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.
Man I had no idea how complicated it was for spies in the 80s to get the room number and hotel keys of guests at Holiday Inn. Gotta have dinners and sleep with managers over multiple weeks and hack the Gibson. To find 3 Taliban guys who will in no way stand out at an American Hotel.

It will all be undone when Osama Bin Laden slips a $20 to the clerk and gets upgraded to a suite.

Is the new tech that Philip and the old guy talking about handheld Stinger missiles? I think that was the thing that really turned around the mujahideen insurgency, wasn't it?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sober posted:

Needs a buddy spy spinoff with Oleg, Stan and Mailbot.

Call it "The Center".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

spronk posted:

Man I had no idea how complicated it was for spies in the 80s to get the room number and hotel keys of guests at Holiday Inn. Gotta have dinners and sleep with managers over multiple weeks and hack the Gibson. To find 3 Taliban guys who will in no way stand out at an American Hotel.

It will all be undone when Osama Bin Laden slips a $20 to the clerk and gets upgraded to a suite.

Is the new tech that Philip and the old guy talking about handheld Stinger missiles? I think that was the thing that really turned around the mujahideen insurgency, wasn't it?

Yea it's stinger missiles. Or at least the description sure made it sound like that.

Sober posted:

Needs a buddy spy spinoff with Oleg, Stan and Mailbot.

Henry is there too as he is being mentored by Stan. Things take a turn for the worst when he falls under the dark influence of Mailbot in season 4.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea it's stinger missiles. Or at least the description sure made it sound like that.

They're probably Redeye missiles, we're at least 2 or 3 years too early for Stingers to be deployed. The US pulled Redeyes from their inventory around 1984 and replaced them with Stingers.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Henry is there too as he is being mentored by Stan. Things take a turn for the worst when he falls under the dark influence of Mailbot in season 4.
"Why is mailbot telling me to, 'kill all humans'"?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

LostRook posted:

Why is Elizabeth suddenly apprehensive about sleeping with people?

I thought she actually enjoyed the sex that time with the hotel guy and felt guilty about it.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

They're probably Redeye missiles, we're at least 2 or 3 years too early for Stingers to be deployed. The US pulled Redeyes from their inventory around 1984 and replaced them with Stingers.

The episode last week was called Stingers

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought she actually enjoyed the sex that time with the hotel guy and felt guilty about it.

That was my take on it as well.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

zVxTeflon posted:

The episode last week was called Stingers

yeah I doubt enough people will know the difference between a stinger and a redeye. its enough that they know we supplied MANPADs to the afghans. Has there been any indications of which year this season is in exactly? I seem to remember there was an episode called salang pass, so 1982 maybe?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Branis posted:

yeah I doubt enough people will know the difference between a stinger and a redeye. its enough that they know we supplied MANPADs to the afghans. Has there been any indications of which year this season is in exactly? I seem to remember there was an episode called salang pass, so 1982 maybe?

Didn't Brezhnev die in one of the first episodes this season? That happened in November 82.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Stan gave Henry a pirated copy of Tron so 82 seems right

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Able Archer should make for a good series of episodes.

Y'know, that one time where everybody on Earth almost died?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Branis posted:

I thought the s in MANPADS was a capital also or have I been doing it wrong this whole time?

Also now they have the story of beep 532 times I kind of want to see a mailbot xmas special with it getting into wacky adventures being sent off to NORAD and battling Henry in playing Global Thermonuclear War or something.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah, she was totally into that guy.

Elizabeth only has to beat out Martha, but now Philip has to be compared to the Hotel Hunk.

It's kind of an interesting twist. We haven't seen one of these two actually become interested in one of their targets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

That, and also now that her daughter knows I think she's thinking about how Paige would see it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fateo McMurray posted:

Didn't Brezhnev die in one of the first episodes this season? That happened in November 82.

We should be in 1983 by this point since the USFL has started playing. Or is starting to start playing.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

zoux posted:

That, and also now that her daughter knows I think she's thinking about how Paige would see it.

She was pretty apprehensive about it last episode, hence the conversation about waiting for a female manager, and that was before the reveal.

I read an interview with the writers last week where they were talking about how they had been sowing the seeds of Elizabeth's distaste for that aspect of the job since last season, which I thought was strange since there didn't seem to be any mention of it until the hotel scene.

We should be in 1983 by this point since the USFL has started playing. Or is starting to start playing.
On the other hand, Henry is doing Eddie Murphy impressions from the 1981 season of SNL. :iiam:

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Apr 10, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Anyone have any theories on the meaning of the final scene? None of the reviews I've read for the ep have mentioned it. Was Paige angry that Elizabeth wasn't going to Russia, or did she not believe them about her Grandma being sick?

Maybe it just went over my head.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JohnSherman posted:

On the other hand, Henry is doing Eddie Murphy impressions from the 1981 season of SNL. :iiam:

We seem to be in February 1983 as that is what is on the manager's bulletin board.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

qbert posted:

Anyone have any theories on the meaning of the final scene? None of the reviews I've read for the ep have mentioned it. Was Paige angry that Elizabeth wasn't going to Russia, or did she not believe them about her Grandma being sick?

I thought that ending was a bit abrupt and wasn't sure what to take from it, perhaps we're not really meant to know. What I ended up thinking was that not even a situation like that where Paige could have some sympathy for her mother is enough to quell the anger she's feeling towards them both. I guess we'll find out over the final 2 episodes, although I wonder if this part of that storyline is going to last longer than that.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

We seem to be in February 1983 as that is what is on the manager's bulletin board.

:ms:

qbert posted:

After the episode ended, I thought it was just an extension of the earlier scene where Paige doesn't know whether she could really trust her parents, but I kind of like Hoopy Frood's explanation better.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 10, 2015

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

qbert posted:

I thought it was more like this:

Paige: Tell me everything, I'm a grownup, I can handle it.
Elizabeth/Phillip: Okay then, here's what's going on.
Paige: Nope, too much, gotta go.

That's a lot like how real teenagers act.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I thought it was just Paige constantly asking "what's going on" just to see if they'll tell the truth every time now. Trying to catch them in a lie so she can be mad at them again, as that's easier than accepting her parents are Soviet spies. So she asked, got a real sad not spy answer and felt bad.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I just have a feeling Gabriel's gonna get the suitcase treatment from Phil if he even passingly mentions something to the effect of 'now that you've come clean to Paige, you have to start thinking about when you'll tell Henry. The Center wants *both* of them to be native-born assets.'

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I just have a feeling Gabriel's gonna get the suitcase treatment from Phil if he even passingly mentions something to the effect of 'now that you've come clean to Paige, you have to start thinking about when you'll tell Henry. The Center wants *both* of them to be native-born assets.'

Gabriel spends an afternoon with Henry.

"you know what Phillip. nevermind"

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I like how Henry's a genuine 1980s brand spazz. He's like me minus 10 years and it's great.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Heh.

Regardless, I'm hoping the Gabriel/Claudia scene they teased isn't short. I really want to see those two spar verbally.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I think Paige was warming up to her parents, to the point where she felt comfortable enough going into their bedroom to talk. She also seemed genuinely interested in grammy's story; at least now they're finally being honest with her. The rest of the conversation, however, made their so far pretty abstract spy life suddenly very real: even saying goodbye to a dying mother is something that they just won't risk, for the good of the Great Motherland or whatever. Paige rightly realizes that this is all kinds of hosed up and decides she wants no part of it.

Paige - Can you [see your mom] ?
Liz - No, I can't.
Paige -

That's not just sadness, that's "what the gently caress is wrong with you" and Phil's reaction is gold:

He's so ashamed he can't even look at his daughter. Liz, on the other hand, stares blankly. She's sad, naturally, but like the good patriot she is, she knows there is no other way.

Great performances from all three actors. I love this show.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Branis posted:

Has there been any indications of which year this season is in exactly? I seem to remember there was an episode called salang pass, so 1982 maybe?
The final episode of the season is titled "March 8, 1983". The date of President Reagan's "Evil Empire" speech.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

This show has weird casting. Why is Susan Misner (Sandra) part of the main cast? Why did they promote Lev Gorn (Arkady) to the main cast in the season where he's received barely any screentime? I'm sure it all has to do with contract negotiations and stuff but I always get tripped up seeing their names in the intro.

Regarding Nina's subplot I really hope they do something interesting with it but at this point it seems like either she will gain Anton's trust and betray him or will fall for him and betray the soviets (again). Either option seems boring and a rehash of things she has already done. Here's hoping they surprise me!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's just contract stuff. An actor might have a clause that says they get opening credits billing after the second season or something like that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It also gives them first dibs on the actor's availability doesn't it? So when they do want to use Lev Gorn he's not off guest starring on The Blacklist or something.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So I have been sort of waiting for Phil to get told to take out Martha but after his chat with Gabriel I'm now half wondering if Gabriel is going to explain to Elizabeth that Phil is a liability and it's time for him to become one of those middle-aged male suicide statistics.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

evenworse username posted:

So I have been sort of waiting for Phil to get told to take out Martha but after his chat with Gabriel I'm now half wondering if Gabriel is going to explain to Elizabeth that Phil is a liability and it's time for him to become one of those middle-aged male suicide statistics.

S3 Liz would never follow that order.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

TCD posted:

S3 Liz would never follow that order.

I don't think so either but that was (to me at least) a fairly ominous conversation.

I have no idea what the eventual plan is but this show could end in such a huge bloodbath.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Phillip and Gabriel will come to blows (if not murder) by the end of this season. That I'm certain of.

I'm not sure where Elizabeth's whole reticence to sleep with targets popped up from. Its not out of character exactly, but it does feel rather sudden.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Phillip and Gabriel will come to blows (if not murder) by the end of this season. That I'm certain of.

I'm not sure where Elizabeth's whole reticence to sleep with targets popped up from. Its not out of character exactly, but it does feel rather sudden.

She turned down her new agent earlier in the season. I think it's more of a representation of her feelings towards Philip which have shifted since her being shot.

TCD fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Narcissus1916 posted:

She's got a great:
  • Husband
  • Son
  • Daughter
  • Small business
  • House
  • Neighborhood

The spycraft is consistently the worst part of her otherwise soft and wonderful life. I feel like they're playing her conditioning as her edge, and it's fading.

Or it's just her feelings for Phillip. Spies aren't supposed to fall in love. She wasn't trained for this. :3:

• Locked thread