Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

enraged_camel posted:

I wasn't "bitching", dickhead. It just really stood out to me.

I think he was talking to me, chum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Somebody post that picture of Rocket pointing at Winter Soldier demanding his arm.

Also, next week's poster!

I was kind of hoping the "Cavalry" would involve a motorcycle, two assault rifles and a cigar.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
The spin-off will be about the fallout from Avengers 2 and will be setup in the last few eps of the season after the movie comes out.

S.H.I.E.L.D. Damage Control starring Ty Pennington

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

enraged_camel posted:

I wasn't "bitching", dickhead. It just really stood out to me.
An effect taking you out of a scene is one thing. Pretending that effect dictates the value or worth of the show is another. Finding some effects underwhelming doesn't remove the ability of AoS to be thoroughly entertaining and potentially worthy of a spin-off. I'm guessing it was just a tepid hot take on DD's part, though, so whatever.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?
I just caught up with the thread so I'm going to go back a bit. Muad'dad knew his wife was alive and it wasn't Whitehall's organs that did it, he's been either in prison or on the run since that happened, and besides he told her 'I told you I'd find her' implying they had seen each other before he found Daisy and not since, and Whitehall died in that time-span.

I hope the spinoff has Adama and honestly I think it's going to help set up Civil War. Hopefully they have some kind of Ultron tie in like Winter Soldier (and not like Thor) but I think SHIELD etc will be relevant again for Cap 3, especially as I've seen Fury in the previews for Ultron so something there happens.

Pure speculation but I'd love to see an end spot with Fury and Colson talking establishing to the movie going world that Colson is alive and giving them the ability to use SHIELD in the next movie. All the movie going people need to know is that he's alive, the explanations really don't matter, they can hand wave it away.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krailor posted:

The spin-off will be about the fallout from Avengers 2 and will be setup in the last few eps of the season after the movie comes out.

Damage Control isn't part of SHIELD! That's owned by Stark and Fisk

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Codependent Poster posted:

She could focus her shockwaves to someone's heart and give them a heart attack or just make it explode. Same with the brains or any internal organs. Or she could just make your whole body vibrate apart. Or just pretty much destroy any vehicle or man made building.

Looking forward to the poop frequency attack!

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I'm thinking it may end up being something like The Initiative - lots of fledgling superheroes getting training in the wake of Avengers 2. Rather than a bunch of kids on reality TV, it would make a lot more sense for the MCU Civil War to be kicked off by something related to state-sponsored heroes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Pander posted:

An effect taking you out of a scene is one thing. Pretending that effect dictates the value or worth of the show is another. Finding some effects underwhelming doesn't remove the ability of AoS to be thoroughly entertaining and potentially worthy of a spin-off. I'm guessing it was just a tepid hot take on DD's part, though, so whatever.

It's good for the soul to make fun of things that are bad.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm thinking it may end up being something like The Initiative - lots of fledgling superheroes getting training in the wake of Avengers 2. Rather than a bunch of kids on reality TV, it would make a lot more sense for the MCU Civil War to be kicked off by something related to state-sponsored heroes.

Or do both? They could actually produce the New Warriors reality TV show.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Krailor posted:

Avengers AI. With a reprogrammed Ultron drone replacing the Doombot.

Also fun: watching people complaining that the main character is a Muslim.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

XboxPants posted:

Or do both? They could actually produce the New Warriors reality TV show.

I had this thought too, it would actually be a pretty nifty take. Clearly go in with it being a two season show, with it be a faux-docu limited series culminating in the mess from the comics. Then have Civil War, and pick up season 2 dealing with all the fallout.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Also, man, the special effects here were so bad they took me straight out of the scene:

Looks a bit off but I love the way it goes clunk and falls out of the sky.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Emerson Cod posted:

That'd make sense. Or, something dealing with lower-tier InHumans, though I guess that really steps on the toes of the 2018 movie. I don't know what else they could spin off that wouldn't really hurt AoS and dilute their available IP in the process.

Deathlok's new costume really does a lot for the character. It's probably just because of how awful it looked in season 1, but it's night and day. I'm surprised by how much better he looked this time around.

Though I agree he's probably way too overpowered to be particularly recurring on the show. He's realistically stronger and more destructive than Hawkeye or Black Widow, and they're supposed to be "Avengers." He'd realistically wreck just about anyone they've encountered in the TV show thus far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xealot posted:

Though I agree he's probably way too overpowered to be particularly recurring on the show. He's realistically stronger and more destructive than Hawkeye or Black Widow, and they're supposed to be "Avengers." He'd realistically wreck just about anyone they've encountered in the TV show thus far.

That said, I watched him fire his missiles and I was like 'Those look pretty bulky, he can't carry spares on him. Where does he get resupplies for those things anyway?'.

Also I can understand the bullets bouncing off his chest with machine guns but it really stands out how nobody ever hits his face.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
TV gunfights, no one ever goes for headshots.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Xealot posted:

Stronger, yes. More destructive is debatable :v:

Chakram
Jun 3, 2010

by Shine
Barton and Romanoff are just badass enough that they can survive most situations that you would need Banner for.

Also, although Hawkeye is not officially powered, he essentially has a meta superpower in that the writers don't allow him to miss a shot. He's a bit DC in that sense.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It'd be great if banner had just rolled up on his scooter and everybody just did what he asked out of sheer terror. Dunno how expensive Ruffalo is but the cgi budget would've been smaller!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
After watching 7 seasons of buffy in about a month, I'm now immune to bad special effects.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mymla posted:

After watching 7 seasons of buffy in about a month, I'm now immune to bad special effects.

Why would you do that?!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Most people couldn't even watch seven seasons of Buffy over the length of it's original release.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Buffy is a pretty good show.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Mymla posted:

Buffy is a pretty good show.

From what I remember the first and last seasons are nigh unwatchable*.

*with a few isolated episodes excepted

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Phylodox posted:

From what I remember the first and last seasons are nigh unwatchable*.

*with a few isolated episodes excepted

Uhm. What!?

Season 1 is a bit weak at times while it finds its footing. 7 is fine. 4 is the weakest overall but also has a few of the best episodes of the entire series.

Buffy is an amazing show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BlueBayou posted:

Uhm. What!?

Season 1 is a bit weak at times while it finds its footing. 7 is fine. 4 is the weakest overall but also has a few of the best episodes of the entire series.

Buffy is an amazing show.

Agree 100%

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's worth watching for Gellar alone. :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

It's worth watching for Gellar alone. :v:

Let's not say things we can't take back. She's pretty, sure, but her acting skills are ... eeeeeeeeehhhh.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
.....Really drat good? Like she can lead a series for seven years?

I know bad opinions on things shouldn't shock me here anymore but dang y'all.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

She can cry her heart out when she needs to, that's for sure.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Teek posted:

The NYC destruction from the first Avengers is actually a fairly big deal about the underlining rise of the Kingpin from what I understand, as the corruption from all the reconstruction contracts is one of the ways he's rising in power.

Yeah, the stuff I read didn't mention that but it's absolutely the case and not only does it make it feel more connected there's also a neat thematic idea there, too.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Buffy gets credit for Seth Green's detached, in-universe commentary and redeeming one of the worst characters on the show with a single line: "I got here first, so I got to be the cowboy guy."

If you can sit through the first 2/3rds of the first season of SHIELD, and you have any fond memories of being a (pre-)teenager in the 90's, give it a shot.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Granted, I watched Buffy about 10 years ago at this point, but I still remember it holding up rather well. It did serialized TV a lot better than was to be expected for its time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a big Buffy fan, I think large swathes of that show are nigh unwatchable these days, but The Body is seriously one of the best episodes of television to ever exist

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Dethlok like any other hero has his strengths and weaknesses. Skye, for example, is absurdly powerful but she also just a vulnerable fleshy human. Dethlok is relatively invulnerable, but I'm guessing he's not a huge fan of electricity or magnetism.

Hmm, didn't we just meet a character who can generate electro-magnetism?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Coulson's gotta be pretty fuckin' amazing considering SHIELD went down the shitter and he was not only able to secure the resources and manpower to upgrade Dethlok, but also do it without anyone knowing.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

MikeJF posted:

That said, I watched him fire his missiles and I was like 'Those look pretty bulky, he can't carry spares on him. Where does he get resupplies for those things anyway?'.

Also I can understand the bullets bouncing off his chest with machine guns but it really stands out how nobody ever hits his face.

If you remember the quick x-ray shot from last season, I think most of his skull is encased in metal as well. At least the unburned side of his face (apparently, the skin is fake).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

AbsolutelySane posted:

If you remember the quick x-ray shot from last season, I think most of his skull is encased in metal as well. At least the unburned side of his face (apparently, the skin is fake).

Remember, they were able to do all kinds of poo poo to him because the Centipede serum was stabilized on accident, and only within him. Think Adam Jensen of DXHR, where he didn't have a choice in the matter and they were able to do unlimited poo poo to him along the way after he was wounded. Metal plates under the skin? Hell yeah, he's gonna be AWESOME.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm not a big Buffy fan, I think large swathes of that show are nigh unwatchable these days, but The Body is seriously one of the best episodes of television to ever exist

Yes.
I haven't seen anything that matches the emotional powerhouse that is that episode.

I don't know if it's because I can relate to what happens in it but it leaves me a blathering mess every time I see it.
It's just so fantastically human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Azhais posted:

Damage Control isn't part of SHIELD! That's owned by Stark and Fisk

You're right, we don't need Shield in there, Marvel's Damage Control works just fine.

quote:

After suffering an on-air nervous breakdown that ended his 'Celebrity Contractor' career Bart Rozum (Ty Pennington) is looking to redeem himself. Moved by the destruction caused in The Avengers: Age of Ultron he joins Damage Control a new company that focuses on rebuilding after superhuman disasters. However, everything might not be as it seems. Damage Control's boss (Edward James Olmos) and the head of their Search and Rescue Division (Kirk Acevedo) appear to be hiding something. Teaming up with Tom Foster (Donald Glover), a new Search and Rescue recruit, can Bart uncover the secrets hidden in the rubble? Find out this fall in Marvel's Damage Control Tuesday's on ABC.

• Locked thread