Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
People are stupid about tea. You make one really great cup of tea in a cup, then you pour it into a mug, drink the tea, and put the original cup away unwashed. Next time you want tea, just pour cold water into the tea cup, and through the miracle of homeopathy, the water will remember from the residue that it was once a cup of boiling hot tea. The water will then spontaneously turn into hot tea right on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I take a ceramic mug. I fill it with water. I microwave it for about a minute. I then put in the tea bag. It's pretty quick and easy. Also this is the mug I use.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Master Twig posted:

I take a ceramic mug. I fill it with water. I microwave it for about a minute. I then put in the tea bag. It's pretty quick and easy. Also this is the mug I use.

A Good Post.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

beato posted:

Wait... I thought it was just for the funny pic. Is it actually a thing, or were you just staying in unfortunate accommodation? I don't know what to believe any more. Do they even have toilet paper in America?

Get with the times, John Spartan.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Ishamael posted:

Bad kerning

'Minor Boys Softball' is a bit unfortunate, too.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Cleretic posted:

'Minor Boys Softball' is a bit unfortunate, too.

sports

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Data Graham posted:

Just to be sure, because I'm dense, we're all doing some kind of bizarre joke, right?

I mean, WTF is wrong with using the microwave? Does it sap the water of nutrients or something?

Ask the Food Babe:

http://www.science20.com/cool-links/the_food_babe_took_down_her_goofy_microwave_oven_post_science_win-140892

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Data Graham posted:

Just to be sure, because I'm dense, we're all doing some kind of bizarre joke, right?

I mean, WTF is wrong with using the microwave? Does it sap the water of nutrients or something?

My Mom drinks a lot of tea and has a tea pot. She swears she can tell the difference between using water from the tea pot as opposed to microwaving a cup of water and dunking a tea bag in it. She's full of poo poo, of course, but I wanted to get in on this bizarre tea derail and that's all I've got.

edit: Mr Tea

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Apr 10, 2015

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

SHUT UP ABOUT TEA AND POST FUNNY PICTURES, NERDS!

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Another thing is that Americans just automatically assume that Brits are all so precious with their tea - all monocles and crumpets and extended pinkies and whatnot - but we really don't make it that complicated. We just like a good cuppa, in a mug, and that's pretty much that.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

That better be a loving joke image.

NOPE. went and looked it isn't, loving god that is infuriating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

mind the walrus posted:

I have a tea kettle and so do most Americans I've known. You're thinking of tea pots.
Most non-Americans talking about kettles mean electric ones, not the old-fashioned stove-top ones that Americans call "tea kettles" (which is adorably twee).

Data Graham posted:

I mean, WTF is wrong with using the microwave?
Well, it's harder to get boiling water because the time needed depends on the weather. With a kettle you just press the button and it stops automatically when the water's hot enough.

BiggerBoat posted:

My Mom drinks a lot of tea and has a tea pot. She swears she can tell the difference between using water from the tea pot as opposed to microwaving a cup of water and dunking a tea bag in it. She's full of poo poo, of course, but I wanted to get in on this bizarre tea derail and that's all I've got.
The advantage of a teapot is that you can use good quality loose-leaf tea. If you're just using bags anyway then you may as well just make it in a mug, it makes no difference.

BTW, with no electric kettles, how do you make two-minute noodles? In a saucepan on the stove? Or do you microwave a bowl of water to boiling and then put the noodles in and microwave it some more?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

ZeusCannon posted:

That better be a loving joke image.

NOPE. went and looked it isn't, loving god that is infuriating.

I'm so loving mad right now. I'm seething. Jesus christ. gently caress.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Hydrolith posted:

Well, if you microwave your water exactly the wrong way, it will explode. Kettles don't do that.

Mythbusters did this and it's absolutely true. If your cup is perfect, unchipped glass (ie a really well made glass) it causes some kind of surface tension on the water that I think does some kind of pressurizing thing that keeps the water from boiling, and just touching the glass is enough to break this and send all the water bubbling like crazy, in essence exploding on your hand.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Tiggum posted:

Most non-Americans talking about kettles mean electric ones, not the old-fashioned stove-top ones that Americans call "tea kettles" (which is adorably twee).

Well, it's harder to get boiling water because the time needed depends on the weather. With a kettle you just press the button and it stops automatically when the water's hot enough.

The advantage of a teapot is that you can use good quality loose-leaf tea. If you're just using bags anyway then you may as well just make it in a mug, it makes no difference.

BTW, with no electric kettles, how do you make two-minute noodles? In a saucepan on the stove? Or do you microwave a bowl of water to boiling and then put the noodles in and microwave it some more?
Either microwave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_Noodles

Or cook them on the stove like the package of the non-microwaved ones say to. Although I do have an electric kettle that I used for some miso that I discovered in my pantry today. My ex was a tea drinker.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Choco1980 posted:

Mythbusters did this and it's absolutely true. If your cup is perfect, unchipped glass (ie a really well made glass) it causes some kind of surface tension on the water that I think does some kind of pressurizing thing that keeps the water from boiling, and just touching the glass is enough to break this and send all the water bubbling like crazy, in essence exploding on your hand.

It happens because really well made glass is very smooth, so there are no tiny imperfections where the nucleation can start. No nucleation = no boiling.

So once you upset the balance by introducing nucleation points, the superheated water will suddenly and explosively boil.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Tiggum posted:

Have you forgotten about the existence of stovetop kettles already?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

It's "Freedom is Slavery" :argh:
Or is this guy one of those Southern irredentists?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

War is peace, slavery is

Freedom, ignorance

Is strength

There's nothing better than a poor concept executed badly. :allears:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Tiggum posted:

Electric kettles are loving everywhere. I don't know a single person without one. They're cheap, available in every size, usually have multiple temperature settings and keep warm functions. I mean, some people use stovetop kettles instead, sure. They are not unknown or rare in the US.

They can't pull the same power load here of course, which means I am always blown away when the exact same model of kettle boils in like 5 seconds in Europe. I wonder if I can hook one up to one of the 220v circuits in my house...I'm not going to try that.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Zopotantor posted:

It's "Freedom is Slavery" :argh:
Or is this guy one of those Southern irredentists?
He's a Goon, who said that the artist didn't recognize the 'quote', and therefore must have been "not much of a reader."

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Another thing is that Americans just automatically assume that Brits are all so precious with their tea - all monocles and crumpets and extended pinkies and whatnot

Your name is Mr. Gibbycrumbles

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

skander posted:

He's a Goon, who said that the artist didn't recognize the 'quote', and therefore must have been "not much of a reader."

No, he yelled at people in the Tattoos thread for not paying enough attention to the details in their tattoos. Then proudly posted that. Then never posted again for some strange reason.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie

Kangaroos are terrifyingly muscular

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Paladinus posted:

You risk melting your plastic cup and burn the tag on your tea bag.
What? Why would the tea be in the microwave? You boil the water first then put the tea in.

Tiggum posted:

In a saucepan, unless it's cup noodle, obviously.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

IUG posted:

No, he yelled at people in the Tattoos thread for not paying enough attention to the details in their tattoos. Then proudly posted that.

IUG posted:

Then never posted again for some strange reason.
He changed his username.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2343641&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=121#post337679130

Flyball has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Apr 10, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

MiketheGreat posted:

Kangaroos are terrifyingly muscular

I guess that's what happens when you jump around all day every day.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

InequalityGodzilla posted:

What? Why would the tea be in the microwave? You boil the water first then put the tea in.
Putting the tea bag in the microwave means you're saving time by steeping-while-heating, and it also allows the nucleation so the purified water doesn't explode when you take it out of the microwave.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

If you don't have PG Tips in America you're missing out. Three sugars and milk = proper builder's tea. It's what Guy Fawkes died for.

Anyway

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Tea is supposed to be iced and sweet and anything else is insanity.

Also, here is a picture I guess.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Huh, you'd think a green screen be cheaper than trying to find a painting of a city on fire?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

minato posted:

Putting the tea bag in the microwave means you're saving time by steeping-while-heating, and it also allows the nucleation so the purified water doesn't explode when you take it out of the microwave.

Why is he barefoot?

And unless you're using really frickin' expensive tea cups superheated water is rarely a problem. Plus lots of tea bags here in the US use metal staples to keep closed because we're philistines, so they can't go in the microwave.

Also since this is apparently now the tea megathread who here's a fan of lapsang souchong?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Why is he barefoot?

And unless you're using really frickin' expensive tea cups superheated water is rarely a problem. Plus lots of tea bags here in the US use metal staples to keep closed because we're philistines, so they can't go in the microwave.

Also since this is apparently now the tea megathread who here's a fan of lapsang souchong?

A stapled teabag is fine in the microwave.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Omnishambles posted:

A stapled teabag is fine in the microwave.

Your mom is fine in bed, but I don't want her to be in there.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Why is he barefoot?

Because it's TV news and he and his producer would rather he be comfortable than be impeccably dressed below the desk?

You're lucky he's wearing pants.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A goon gives us a deeper look at Mass Effect's dialogue system...

EdibleBodyParts
Dec 27, 2005
Body Parts...that are edible
I don't get how this "electric kettle" is supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

EdibleBodyParts posted:

I don't get how this "electric kettle" is supposed to work.

The problem is that he's trying to use it on a gas range.

• Locked thread